Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:23   #1156
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

This is my first post in Team BHP... I have pre-booked 1.4 Turbo Petrol Automatic Kia Seltos yesterday, through a local dealer. Dealer gave me an assurance that I can change the variant, model and color after the variant list and price list are out. I insisted on him confirming the same via his official email id and the dealer sent an email immediately with these details. I made the 25K online payment, post that.

There was a sales person sent by the dealer to my place. The sales person had very minimal knowledge about Seltos and most of my queries were unanswered. He then called his Manager and he was able to clarify most of my queries.

The sales person also had a few photos of the car (in white), which he claimed to have taken during his training in Bangalore. He also showed me 2 pictures of the proposed variant list and it was nothing new (in fact I felt that the same variant list was shared in Team BHP also). I am attaching them for reference...

I then asked him about the pricing and I was surprised to see him having an image with the calculated pricing for all Seltos model. He insisted that this pricing is not from Kia and that the dealer has prepared the approximate pricing range, based on some leaked information from Kia. Looks to be an indicative pricing list and I had my doubts on the pricing calculated for few of the models. He was reluctant to share the pricing list image with me, but I somehow managed to get a copy of the same.

I am NOT going by the variance list or the approximate pricing that the dealer has prepared. The dealer's showroom is getting ready and I can see the work going on in full pace. They are expected to have their showroom open by this month end and as per the sales person, the demo and test drive car will arrive before Aug 3rd. He has promised a test drive of both Turbo Petrol and Diesel Automatic, as soon as they are available. I will wait for the official Variant and Price announcement from Kia and then finalize the model.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kia-1.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kia-2.jpg

Name:  Kia 0.PNG
Views: 848
Size:  9.7 KB
MukundanMK is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:58   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
This is my first post in Team BHP... I have pre-booked 1.4 Turbo Petrol Automatic Kia Seltos yesterday, through a local dealer.
Welcome to Team-BHP

Quote:
I then asked him about the pricing and I was surprised to see him having an image with the calculated pricing for all Seltos model. He insisted that this pricing is not from Kia and that the dealer has prepared the approximate pricing range, based on some leaked information from Kia.
Actually, there has been a lot of speculation on the pricing.

While what your dealer seems to have put together looks meticulously well estimated, pricing decisions are usually finalised a day or two before the launch and usually known only to the executive management. Therefore, while this looks realistic, it is not likely to have come from Kia.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:05   #1158
BHPian

Thanks pannags... The Dealer did say that this is not an official pricing from Kia and that they have put together an estimate based on some leaked information. This is more of a reference for their perspective customers. I am looking for GTX Auto and will have a mixed emotion, if the pricing is going to be 15.99 Ex Showroom. At the same time, wouldnt mind paying 1 lac more or 16.99 if Kia brings in GTX+ Auto.
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:42   #1159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
I understand it is my mistake in booking both the vehicle online but i was eager to get quick delivery through pre-booking it online but its a grave mistake. if any case we need to cancel online booking its a painful process. i wonder even at this age why there is no online cancellation when companies are eager in online booking.

-Mukesh
It is simple. The longer they keep your money, the more interest they earn off it. Assume there are a hundred people like you waiting for cancellation refunds of say Rs 25,000 each. So a dealer actually is sitting on 100 * Rs 25,000 = Rs 25,00,000 in the bank that is earning interest daily. Why will the dealer be in a hurry to refund your amount?

Keep writing emails (dont just depend on calls) to Hyundai and MG and insist on getting the amount back with interest accrued from the day you have confirmed your cancellation. When I made a booking cancellation with Mahindra, there was a delay from the dealership in refunding the amount. After I kept following up with Mahindra and the dealership, in the end they transferred a sum of Rs 21,000 to me. This was 2 weeks after I cancelled my booking. Rs 20,000 was my booking amount and Rs 1,000 was towards the interest accrued which I insisted on. To be clear, I insisted on the interest being paid back though I didnt know the amount would be Rs 1,000. I had shared the details of my experience on the TUV 300 thread.

P.S - I am not even getting into the Rs 250 cancellation fee part that Kia has managed to sneak in that most forum members seem comfortable with!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:46   #1160
BHPian

GTX+ seems to be demand of the paying public here much like Harrier XZ AT but seems likely that lightening will strike twice at the same place dashing any hope of a Top End Automatic.

The leaked feature list for HT line seems weird as safety is severely compromised but not offering ESC or 6 airbags. All in all interest is sparked and we have to stay hooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
It is simple. The longer they keep your money, the more interest they earn off it. Assume there are a hundred people like you waiting for cancellation refunds of say Rs 25,000 each. So a dealer actually is sitting on 100 * Rs 25,000 = Rs 25,00,000 in the bank that is earning interest daily. Why will the dealer be in a hurry to refund your amount?
The booking amount has gone to local dealership in your area and you will have to follow up with them regarding cancellation. My local dealer confirmed receiving that amount I paid online.
Same was the case with Harrier where online booking amount went to local dealer who processed the cancellation and refund amount.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2019 at 13:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:29   #1161
BHPian

For those aspiring to purchase the base variant of Seltos... car looks great, neat and clean. I am sure that other darker colored shades will also be equally good.

https://www.cartoq.com/kia-seltos-base-variant/

Last edited by MukundanMK : 23rd July 2019 at 12:53. Reason: Incorrect URL has been corrected
MukundanMK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:49   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I believe that any booking amount paid goes to a current account, balance amounts in which are generally not entitled to interest payments. Advance booking perhaps has to do only with gauging the demand, and any delay in refunds should be pure procedural.
Old 23rd July 2019, 13:03   #1163
BHPian

Doesn't matter which variant you pick, you are in for disappointment as you would want to have everything for every penny you spend. Kia has definitely made a blunder as most potential buyers are unhappy with features/variants distribution list. Though i like Seltos but i have given up now on this purchase as i know brand has not done few things right.
Old 23rd July 2019, 13:49   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
Doesn't matter which variant you pick, you are in for disappointment as you would want to have everything for every penny you spend. Kia has definitely made a blunder as most potential buyers are unhappy with features/variants distribution list. Though i like Seltos but i have given up now on this purchase as i know brand has not done few things right.
I agree. Very sad that none of the HT series have 6 airbags available. Why safety is not considered .. surprise us ????

Hg
humveeguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:00   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
I believe that any booking amount paid goes to a current account, balance amounts in which are generally not entitled to interest payments.
You definitely can earn from your current account these days. You just need to have a sweep-in current account and any amount above the minimum balance will be automatically parked as fixed deposits. Even if you keep the deposit for one week without issuing any payments, you are eligible for an interest for 7 days(the minimum to get an interest).

Hence you can imagine the amount these dealers would get from all bookings put together. You can definitely earn a good interest.
lovesujay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:21   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
The video is now not available. I think Kia team got hold of it due to publicity on Team-BHP.
I have messaged him yesterday evening wherein he asked to transfer Rs.100 by Paytm. I didn't transfer the money since I was not willing to share the address. Messaged him again earlier today in WhatsApp and he told me he is sold out of all brochures. Either this was all a scam or he really did send it to some people.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:42   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Considering Hector as the current direct rival of Seltos, these prices look very unreasonable. Hector top-end petrol DCT is priced at 16.78 lacs, Which comes with all bells and whistles and is a no brainer when it comes down to features selection.
I hope KIA execs will price seltos keeping that in mind.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:56   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post
Considering Hector as the current direct rival of Seltos, these prices look very unreasonable. Hector top-end petrol DCT is priced at 16.78 lacs, Which comes with all bells and whistles and is a no brainer when it comes down to features selection.
I hope KIA execs will price seltos keeping that in mind.
+1 to that, my sense is that the GTX DCT should be mode in line of under 17lac OTR for the equipment list that has been shared so far. Just for reference its sibling Creta 1.5 Sx Auto with the moon-roof currently retails for 16.3OTR with some decent discount packages on top.

Sparsh auto SE has been mentioning to me a 14L ex-showroom. I feel anything abover 15L ex-showroom with a GTX (and not GTX+ DCT) will seriously be threatened with the introductory pricing of Hector Smart DCT which is 15.28 ex-showroom and more or less evenly specced for a much bigger footprint (which most Indians will consider premium)
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 16:39   #1169
BHPian

This is my first post on TeamBHP!

My google feed suggested me to read some news from Pakistan -

KIA Sportage opened for booking on 30th Jun 2019 in Pakistan and delivery is supposed to commence from first week of Aug. They originally announced an introductory price when bookings opened. Within 10 days, they sell out their limited quantity with those prices and bumps up rates by 6.5% for FWD and 8% for AWD.

They're offering a 4year / 1lac km warranty.

KIA Picanto booking to open immediately after Sportage deliveries start and its delivery is supposed to commence from Oct.

My opinion -

It seems highly likely we're going to get attractive "introductory" prices for limited stocks.

KIA might announce/reveal their next car (Stonic?) for Indian market as early Sep-Oct 2019 and could start delivering them from Jan 2020.

I hope they offer at least 5year / unlimited km warranty here.

Link
dksv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 18:06   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksv View Post
It seems highly likely we're going to get attractive "introductory" prices for limited stocks.

KIA might announce/reveal their next car (Stonic?) for Indian market as early Sep-Oct 2019 and could start delivering them from Jan 2020.
Next car is probably going to be Carnival and they're launching it probably during Auto Expo 2020. Prices have to be aggressive, if they want to achieve good sales numbers. Remember, this is going to be a key product for the brand here. Considering the miserly distribution of features, I guess pricing will be really competitive, atleast in the beginning.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed