Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2019, 18:54   #1171
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Just a query on choice of auto transmissions, specifically the DCT (DSG in VAG group language): just how well suited is it for city stop-go usage and long-term reliability in our traffic conditions?

I am NOT stating any opinion on Kia/ Hyundai's DCT gearboxes. Its a generic question on the tech itself. I understand that DCTs are not really the flavour in the US and their growth / usage as percentage of sales is around 5 - 8.5% of the total vehicles sold, with traditional torque converters ruling. Part of all that is due to the poor reputation of Ford's Powershift and VAG's DCTs.

I am aware of the separate thread on this topic. However, its curious to note that Kia is introducing a DCT option on their launch product here. Yes of course, it wins on fuel efficiency and good sporty shifts, but how about its real-world usage and reliability in our notorious city traffic conditions? Surely Kia should have (or has ?) factored it in?

Any opinions by our learned members?
Old 23rd July 2019, 19:53   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post

Any opinions by our learned members?
The Kia DCT should be the same 7 speed DCT as that of the Hyundai Venue. I own the venue & drive it everyday. The gearbox is really nice to drive especially when u drive it sportily. The shifts are seamless. Passengers won't even know when the shifts happen. The throttle response is pretty good as the car is tuned for the urban commuter. Driving in city bumper to bumper traffic is a breeze. When u press the throttle around mid-way the car changes gear and revs till 3000 to 3500 rpm till the next gear change. When u floor the throttle completely, the shifts change at almost the redline of 5000 to 6000 rpm.
Please note this is in a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine and the gearbox is perfectly tuned for this. I can confidently say the 1.4 GDI will be a perfect match for this DCT and will surely be good.
deepjaju is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:18   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
The Kia DCT should be the same 7 speed DCT as that of the Hyundai Venue. I own the venue & drive it everyday. The gearbox is really nice to drive especially when u drive it sportily. ….. I can confidently say the 1.4 GDI will be a perfect match for this DCT and will surely be good.
Your feedback is much appreciated.
However, the Venue also being a new launch, I was inquiring into opinions on long-term reliability of these types of transmissions and whether Kia has been able to overcome its issues it had with its DCTs in the Sportage (in the US), for example. Also, the Venue in the US is, I believe offered / launched with a CVT (not a DCT).
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:23   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
I felt that the same variant list was shared in Team BHP also).
Attachment 1897663
If this price is right, the top end 2 airbag version of the diesel Seltos will be priced on par with Creta 1.6 Auto SX + on the road. Expecting this to touch 19.2 L OTR Cochin, including flood cess of 1% from August 2019
I think GTX ll be priced higher.
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:25   #1175
BHPian

For folks who are waiting for the brochure from Rishabh in Youtube. This is more like a cut copy paste job. He just added the Excel list to the Seltos leaflet that was released a couple of days back. Can't blame him. More like his own version of the brochure. He never mentioned anywhere in the video that it's the official brochure.

Sad to see 2 airbags here in HTX+. He had mentioned in his own earlier videos that there were 6 airbags in HTX+. Let's just wait for the official announcement now.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd July 2019 at 23:36. Reason: Post fixed. Attachment removed as the file seems to be corrupted. Please re-upload if you have a working copy. Thanks!
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:35   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Sad to see 2 airbags here. He had mentioned in his own earlier videos that there were 6 airbags in HTX+.
The least expected feature to miss on HTX+ would be 6 Airbags and ESP. Your top end model cannot compromise on safety features. I seriously hope that Kia releases a sensible variant list on Aug 3rd and make people, positively spoiled for choices. Else, they would have a lengthy list of pre booking cancellations to process, including mine.
MukundanMK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:54   #1177
BHPian

I was searching online on the possible effects of using a BS4 fuel on BS6 engine (Seltos will have to run mostly in BS4 fuel only till Apr 2020, as most of the cities have not started to sell BS6 fuels yet). I managed to find an article in C&B regarding this. Looks like there will be some impact, especially on the diesel variants.

Has Kia given any statement about this? Is this a thing that prospective Kia buyers should be worried about?

Link
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 21:28   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Just a query on choice of auto transmissions, specifically the DCT (DSG in VAG group language): just how well suited is it for city stop-go usage and long-term reliability in our traffic conditions?
Apparently Jeep’s and even Ford’s DCTs have had problems in the west. DSGs used to have issues in the long term. One person I knew who had the first gen India Skoda Superb had to get it replaced 6th year into his usage. DSGs have been far more reliable in the past few years and served well on Indian roads. I use a vehicle for past 1.5 years which has a TC. These are usually known to be quite robust as they are less complex. As a practice I shift to Neutral or “P” on long stoppages/traffic lights. Assumption is that this would reduce stress on the machine. I would do so even if it were any other auto box.
maven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 22:18   #1179
BHPian

There's one aspect that I fail to understand with the variant positioning by automakers/Car companies in the Indian market. Seems KIA is following up the same as what is seen in Rishab's brochure.

The highest variant generally gets 6 airbags with a 1.5-1.75L hefty premium in most car brands (Ford and Hyundai) which could be justified for its safety features depending on the car. The rest however are all 2 airbag variants and this is really sad.

I generally avoid the top end and prefer to choose the one below the top, where certain novelty features are not my priority. Bluelink of Hyundai and voice controls/commands and sunroof are not worth the premium. I'd rather have this justified with a 4 airbag variant and be happy with that.

I hope Kia does come up with a 4 airbag variant and I'll be more than willing to write that cheque to them!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th July 2019 at 08:43. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 23rd July 2019, 23:00   #1180
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept)

Sad to see auto manufacturers skimping so much on airbags even in cars touching 20 Lakhs on-road. When I bought my Ecosport TDCI 6 years ago, I paid 9.18 lakhs ex-showroom, 11 lakhs on-road for a vehicle with 6 airbags and a host of other features. This car is so well-built and still solid and fun to drive after all these years. Here, we are talking of paying nearly 20 lakhs and wondering if we will get anything more than 2 airbags. It is pathetic that manufacturers force us to make hard choices on such an essential safety feature on high riding SUVs, especially after paying top dollar.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 23rd July 2019 at 23:02.
84.monsoon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 23:01   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Well, DSG gearboxes are the ones to die for when it comes to driving fun but they are not without niggles largely due to dusty climate in India. A DSG car once in its lifetime does undergo Mechatronics change for sure.

For instance, My Vento DSG has undergone Flywheel change twice, Mechatronics (Most Expensive Component in a DSG) once and all this was covered under extended warranty.

But, Once you have driven DSG or any other high end gearbox, you might not like AMT, CVT, TC's. Better to keep you car under warranty and keep enjoying and if it can no longer be covered warranty due to age then better sell the car off and buy a new car again with DSG/DCT.

Last edited by NAVREVV : 23rd July 2019 at 23:03.
NAVREVV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 07:59   #1182
BHPian

I'm here for the positive vibe and just discovered that the rear of the car has rear fog lamps too that are housed neatly. I personally thought they were reflectors. Well I'm sure Creta doesn't provide rear fog lamps yet.
Rear fog lamps used to be provided in older cars and now a days cars have stopped providing them (most). Personally my sx4 has one rear fog lamp and one reverse light like hyundai i20 and Volkswagen polo and many more.

Well, here the Seltos gives a more balanced look. Have a look!
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-20190724_075423.jpg
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 08:13   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
... When I asked the rep, he told SMS is the confirmation.
The SMS was from the dealer or from KIA?
Old 24th July 2019, 09:42   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I'm here for the positive vibe and just discovered that the rear of the car has rear fog lamps too that are housed neatly. I personally thought they were reflectors. [/ATTACH]
It could very well be a reflector only, looking at the inconsistent illumination. A flash from the camera or lights in the studio (where this was photographed) are more than enough to generate this. I would reserve judgement till the specifications are out.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:50   #1185
Distinguished - BHPian

A review from the car's motherland and I much prefer the dashboard layout of the international variant as opposed to the wide-screen t.v they have fitted here :

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks