Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2019, 15:48   #1381
Senior - BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
TBH, such a long post and no specifics. Heck this info borders on speculation and one doesn't need to be an insider to come up with this.
Since we have the feature-spread/variants lists coming directly from dealers (I think the list was put up few pages back), why do we still speculate? Only unknown is the pricing.
Old 30th July 2019, 16:24   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Happened to check out the Seltos today! Blown away by the overall quality on offer. Certainly feels premium!

Some observations:
1)That red paint scheme is delicious! There was absolutely no orange peel effect and the finish was simply excellent.

2)Although 3 people can sit in the middle row, the middle passenger will feel uncomfortable as there is simply insufficient support.

3)Also personally I felt there was too much chrome and it was way too bling for my taste- especially the chrome surrounds on the grille.

4) The variant on display was the GTX 1.4 Turbo Petrol Manual. The shift quality while stationary is Hyundai fare and not as communicative as the ones offered by VW.

6) Hector in comparison felt a grade lower.

Certainly one of the cars to look out for only if it's priced well unlike the overpriced Creta.
Turbohead is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 18:42   #1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
Just managed to speak to one of my cousin's friend.
Did you happen to check on the safety side of it - Are they offering Hill start assist, ESC and VSM as standard, like how MG offered a standard safety kit Hector? I believe these should be provided as standard atleast for the automatics.

Last edited by bblost : 30th July 2019 at 19:26. Reason: Reduced the size of quoted post. Thanks.
Old 30th July 2019, 19:43   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsang View Post
Did you happen to check on the safety side of it - Are they offering Hill start assist, ESC and VSM as standard, like how MG offered a standard safety kit Hector? I believe these should be provided as standard atleast for the automatics.
I didn’t check so much in detail and also he was non commital on a few things (either he is not aware fully or he doesn’t want to completely spill the beans). I asked him about Diesel Top end missing 6 airbags and he said that it is one of the thing that Kia is seriously thinking on. Their prototypes had only 2 airbags, which means Kia’s original plan was in line with the leaked variant list and we can expect some minor changes, especially for the higher variants.
MukundanMK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 20:52   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2007 View Post
Source? Most websites are saying Jul 31.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...july-31-413594
Apologies for the late reply. Was unable to see your post since yesterday.
A friend working in one of the media houses shared a screenshot of the invite. I don't know why they (auto media) haven't updated it yet. Nonetheless, by this time tomorrow, the air will be cleared on this for sure.
Old 30th July 2019, 22:42   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
I asked him about Diesel Top end missing 6 airbags and he said that it is one of the thing that Kia is seriously thinking on. Their prototypes had only 2 airbags, which means Kia’s original plan was in line with the leaked variant list and we can expect some minor changes, especially for the higher variants.
It’s amazing, to say the least, that a company is ready to listen and consider what the people have to say. Most companies would just bring the most sought after features in their facelift/update in the coming years.

Hope they keep this attitude, I’ll help them in the long run.
Old 31st July 2019, 08:06   #1387
BHPian

I have a feeling that they are working on a GTX+ automatic to compete with Hector's Sharp Automatic varient. Personally I have seen the MG hector in person. The wheel and body proportion always reminded me of Xylo. The interior fit and finish could have been better. It just rear is too busy. I'm looking for a car that doesn't have much of road presence. I seem weird but that's my taste.
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 09:33   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I'm looking for a car that doesn't have much of road presence. I seem weird but that's my taste.
Add me to that list. I like the car to be nicely designed but don't care if it doesn't have 'road presence' or more importantly the 'butch looks'. People prefer tall SUVs (one of the complaint against the Seltos is that it is not tall enough) for the 'road presence' but they will be fine with the compromised dynamics and a potentially unstable vehicle. I like the fact that the Seltos is somewhat low slung and it should look much like the Compass in terms of the size.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 09:52   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Some observations:
1)That red paint scheme is delicious! There was absolutely no orange peel effect and the finish was simply excellent.
Are you talking about the actual red car color? That's the one I pre-ordered but also looking at the Grey and Blue version in the GT trim. I like the red accent lines that are visible in Grey and Blue but can't be seen in the Intense Red color of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I have a feeling that they are working on a GTX+ automatic to compete with Hector's Sharp Automatic varient. Personally I have seen the MG hector in person. The wheel and body proportion always reminded me of Xylo. The interior fit and finish could have been better. It just rear is too busy. I'm looking for a car that doesn't have much of road presence. I seem weird but that's my taste.
We think very similar. Looking at a car that isn't overdone and like you said, I do not like the rear of the Hector either. So you aren't alone buddy.

Last edited by sweetvar26 : 31st July 2019 at 09:53.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:32   #1390
BHPian

Are the variants going to be announced today? there seems to be a lot of contradicting statements over the internet.
Old 31st July 2019, 14:00   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
Are the variants going to be announced today? there seems to be a lot of contradicting statements over the internet.
Variant/Features list is 'tentatively' planned to be announced on Aug 10th.

Last edited by nitinhegde : 31st July 2019 at 14:02.
nitinhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 14:46   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I like the fact that the Seltos is somewhat low slung and it should look much like the Compass in terms of the size.
I am glad meeting someone who is looking for the same type of car. Seltos and other so called 'Suv's' are merely like giant hatchbacks with loads of boot space. In India they are usually sold in 2WD unlike compass that offers 4WD.
Infact it is alittle funny to own a car that looks all SUV but has no off road capability. The success of Creta was due to what it was. It never really screamed to be an offroad capable SUV but a perfect 'Urban SUV'. By the word Urban I mean a car that's designed modern and that does not age quickly but still it is not a real SUV.
As a consumer my requirement is just to drive on normal roads following the GPS (it sounds boring but its the reality) and not to climb a mountain. Well, everyone has different purposes.
Seltos is trying to hit the mass urban users.

Whereas Hector to me seems like a confusion. I was keen to own it as at first I was attracted by the plenty of features on offer that was never seen in such a price bracket. Slowly I felt MG was fooling the customers by bringing British heritage into the brand whereas the car being offered is completely chinese. It looks like a wannabe Q7, well my neighbour owns the real deal so that's embarrassing. The plastics inside felt rough and low grade at places. The cladding around the sunroof (interior), stiching and finishing was altogether alittle disappointing. Maybe it was the specific car. It's just a smartphone on tiny wheels. The reliability is a big question as the same car is sold by Chevrolet. We all know Chevrolet by now...

The reason I'm interested in Seltos is because most parts are going to be shared with Hyundai's ix25 such as the platform and engine, transmission. Kia being a new brand will offer introductory prices so why not make full use of it? It's one of the reliable brands in the industry. My other option was Maruti Suzuki S-Cross. I could describe it as boring cause it is just another Maruti. The same buttons, same infotainment system as baleno, door handles just made no sense to buy another car with same parts and downgraded engine. If my budget was slighter higher, I would simply settle with Hyundai Kona but well you can read my username.
momsonlydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 22:22   #1393
BHPian

Received invite for unveiling and test drive from sparsh kia today for 3rd august, 2pm.
ramansh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 23:15   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Here is another review in English (Korean version)
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 00:24   #1395
BHPian

Checked out the Seltos today everything was great before I got the low down from one of the hyundai engineers. While yes the guy was from hyundai he still knows his stuff and has access to Seltos "ground up".

While he had earlier told me about cost cutting measures in the Indian Creta this time around he was not very keen on the Seltos. According to him even the Seltos has quite a bit of cost cutting measures for the Indian version "Door mass, A piller, B piller, engine wall, Sensors".

The worst thing is that I have pre-booked the car and cant exactly call everything off because the only other car I like is the Compass which might be 5lac more.

Last edited by Brishti : 1st August 2019 at 00:28.
Brishti is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed