Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 22:58   #1456
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
The varient list that has been shared here on the forum states under GTX+ that 7 speed DCT and 1.5L D 6speed auto will be decided.
That means Kia is deciding if they want to launch a fully loaded automatic car. It can be either a petrol auto or diesel auto or it can be both! So gt line diesel is a slight possibility from Kia.
Can you please help me find the post, sorry to bother everyone again. I couldnt find it. Also any variant list shared here has nothing to do with Kia
Old 2nd August 2019, 23:06   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
I sincerely pray that some magic happens and the HTX+ Auto gets side and curtain bags
According to the list you received, HTX+ AT does get 6 airbags (and every other bells and whistles)
Quote:
Received the below variant list from my dealer.

Kia Seltos HTX+
• 1.5-litre diesel with 6MT or 6AT (torque convertor automatic)
• UV Cut glass
• 8-way power adjust for driver’s seat
• 7.0-inch multi-info display
• 8-speaker Bose stereo sound system
• 360-degree camera
• Driver rear view monitor
• Ventilated seats
• Wireless charging
• Power sunroof
• Rain-sensing wipers
• Six airbags
• Multiple drive modes (automatic only)
• Vehicle stability management (automatic only)
• Brake assist (automatic only)
• Hill start assist (automatic only)
• ESC (automatic only)
• Front parking sensors (automatic only)
• Blind spot monitor (automatic only)

Last edited by Guna : 2nd August 2019 at 23:07.
Old 3rd August 2019, 00:11   #1458
BHPian

Another leaked variant list i found on kia seltos india group on facebook. This one looks genuine.The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-67822361_10220335062749831_299466057842688000_o.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-67425140_10220335062989837_3576632692894072832_o.jpg
Old 3rd August 2019, 00:30   #1459
BHPian

If Diesel AT HTX+ gets everything then will be switching my booking to this. Hopefully nothing is going to be cut down on this. My initial plan was for GTX+ AT but still not sure if it's being launched.
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:50   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
According to the list you received, HTX+ AT does get 6 airbags (and every other bells and whistles)
Sir, this is again a dealer sent list and not officially from Kia. Having seen HTX+ Manual in person, it has only 2 airbags. That’s why I had mentioned that some magic needs to happen and the diesel topend manual/auto get 4 more airbags.
MukundanMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:57   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, this is again a dealer sent list and not officially from Kia. Having seen HTX+ Manual in person, it has only 2 airbags. That’s why I had mentioned that some magic needs to happen and the diesel topend manual/auto get 4 more airbags.
Unfortunately the cars available for test drive before the actual launch are prototype cars and not actual production specs. This is the first time I have ever seen a brand allowing prototype models to be used as test drive vehicles.
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 07:02   #1462

Quote:
Unfortunately the cars available for test drive before the actual launch are prototype cars and not actual production specs. This is the first time I have ever seen a brand allowing prototype models to be used as test drive vehicles.
I think Kia was shook by the pricing of MG Hector, which pushed them to do things quicker than expected. Though they were not ready they wanted to introduce Seltos ASAP to stop atleast a few of them from buying MG. This prototype stuff is a result of that. Even now none of the showroom has automatic to drive, GTX is only for display on not TD.
vsang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 07:38   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramansh View Post
File is corrupted, does not open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Unable to Open the pdf file. Check the format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Attached is the Seltos Specification that was shared in last page, in the actual format.
Sorry that file got corrupted. Uploaded again from PC. Hopefully, it works. Also, attached are screenshots of the same.

Seltos Brochure.pdf

Two things, this looks official because of the font and the way in which features have been listed. Even if this was a dealer made list, they wouldn't add those arrows and such notations. However, the heading where Techline and GT line symbol is shown looks more like a copy-paste job than a professional job. If this is indeed the feature list, they could have released this two weeks back, this matches the same list which is being rumored everywhere in the web.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-seltos.jpg
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-seltos-2.jpg
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:04   #1464
BHPian

Received these from my SA in Kia Noida. Car looks smart in red, but no confirmation on GTX+ in petrol DCT. Going tomorrow to check it out in person.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190803wa0007.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190803wa0008.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190803wa0009.jpg  

dhruvwali is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:32   #1465
BHPian

Are the Automobile Production Lines so flexible that the variant specifications can be changed just before the launching? Any auto industry people who know about it?
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:27   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Received these from my SA in Kia Noida. Car looks smart in red, but no confirmation on GTX+ in petrol DCT. Going tomorrow to check it out in person.

Where is the KIA Showroom in Noida which has a display car ? Last time I went to one in Noida & Patparganj in Delhi , neither had any display cars !!
Old 3rd August 2019, 13:50   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time I have ever seen a brand allowing prototype models to be used as test drive vehicles.
Many OEMs use pre-Mass Production (Mass Production Protos) as test drive vehicles. However, this is probably the first time I am seeing so much feature variations between such proto vehicles and the final customer vehicles (if the rumours are true).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Are the Automobile Production Lines so flexible that the variant specifications can be changed just before the launching? Any auto industry people who know about it?
Production lines are surely flexible to cope up with such a change. Production line, components themselves and their combinations are always validated for mix-match (to put in simple terms).

However, issue lies with the changes in Bill of Material. Careful updates are required to avoid any errors that may lead to missing part. Suppliers also need to be taken on-board for revised production plans.

So, it's definitely possible but needs efforts. But as its said, where there is will (or should I say MG Hector to eat your market share), there is a way.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 3rd August 2019 at 13:51.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:09   #1468
BHPian

Car is now available for display at Allied Kia Gurgaon Sohna Road. Test drive vehicles are 1.5 diesel and 1.4 turbo petrol, both manual. This launch is a little rushed as is evident from the half baked showroom experience. On the flip side , the Seltos is perfect for the city - adequate space , premium seats , even plasticky screen looks far better in reality. Cons - it's low , so the appearance is more S Cross than Creta , despite showroom trickery of raised pedestals. And the usable boot is small since the space between the space parcel tray and the boot floor is quite less. Continuing with my pre-booking till variant and price announcement on 22nd Aug
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:22   #1469
BHPian

The one thing that irks me the most is the fact that automobile manufacturers in India go the whole extra mile to not misa out on the bling factor, what with all those fancy LED head and tail lamps but takes extra effort to delete an important safety feature like a three point seatbelt for all passengers. I see that horribly useless lap belt lying on the seat like a dead fish. Come on KIA! You can do better than this
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:45   #1470
BHPian

Just back from the unveiling and a test drive. We were one of the first few to reach the showroom, thanks to the barely 5 minute drive.

The Ford remodeled showroom was nowhere close to ready with work going on in full swing, while customers were whisked away for TDs before the scheduled reveal. We were 7th in queue and I had to barely wait for 20 minutes to get behind the wheels.

It was an all women affair with the lady center head, my wife and an elderly customer invited to unveil the display car, an HTX+ Diesel MT in grey.

The colour I think looks best on the Seltos.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-grey_seltos.jpg

Here are my observations:

The outsides and inside:

The car looks very similar to Creta in size, but appears a tad bit lower and longer. The front has a nice appealing design with a prominent black grille, but too much chrome kind of dilutes the elegance. The rear of the car, ironically, is the most subtle part of the overall design. The chrome lining looks neat for a change.

Doors and panels are really thick, but not Ford or VWish heavy. There is a clunk rather than a thud on closing the hefty doors. The boot lid is also really heavy. I had to tuck away my phone and use both hands to swing it up. The boot itself is huge and should be best among competition.

Overall, while the road presence is just about right for an SUV, the design is a trifle garish for my taste.

Stepping on the inside, the seats have a foamy comfortable feel, but could have been harder. The beige ones will easily soil and need constant cleaning, what with the ventilated pores to care for in addition. The power driver seats are a really convenient feature and help quickly find a comfortable seating position. The range is equally impressive.

Ingress and Egress are easy with the tall SUV seating, but extra width between the seats and the car's exterior is likely to make short people struggle to reach for the ground.

The drive:

The GTX+ 1.4 Petrol MT is silent and has fantastic refinement. The engine has very minimal NVH, responds well, but has noticeable turbolag. Although I could only take the car to 60 kmph on the short 4 odd km drive, it was wanting and waiting to be pushed. The turbo petrol will make a nice highway commuter and I personally think the DCT will do most numbers in this offering. City commutes on the MT may not be the best equation to settle for.

The steering has great range for reach and rake and looks the best part of the interiors. The toggle switches in chrome for volume, speed, mode and display control look somewhat overdone in chrome.

The 10" HU felt big with too many icons in view. I think trying to use that on the run could be a distracting exercise. I personally prefer smaller ones like that on my S-Cross or the City with fewer icons for ease of use and minimal distraction. The MID has lots of indicators. Did not get a chance to try UVO connect on the short drive.

The most exciting piece of gadgetry was the Heads-up display. Speed and directions can be seen with virtually no distraction at all. While this neatly pops out of the dash, integration of the HU with the dash board is a big bummer. Apart from being a fingerprint magnet, the panel housing the HU and the MID resemble an afterthought. From the outside, it appears as if a large display panel has been stuck behind the steering wheel. This can be easily seen from the outside and looks really awkward.

My wife tried the back bench while I took to the wheels and was impressed with the overall seating comfort and space, but found the ride bouncy.

In summary, I was somewhat satisfied with the overall package, neither too impressed nor disappointed. I have asked to be notified after the automatics are available to drive.

The boot with loads of space

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-boot_seltos.jpg

The steering wheel is classy and feels good to hold, but the toggle control switches look cheap. The only soft material is in the small area above the glove box

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-steeringdash2_seltos.jpg

The panel behind the wheel looks ugly and out of place from outside

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-display_panel_seltos.jpg

Last edited by pannags : 3rd August 2019 at 15:03. Reason: Modified, reframed content and corrected typos
pannags is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed