Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2019, 18:07   #136
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

The interior reveals make this KIA a worthwhile vehicle to wait for. With the spy shots released over the past month one can be sure of having a great spread of variants and features. What is to be seen is the engine spec on offer. With the consumer tilting towards petrols here in NCR, KIA has to make sure the 1.5L petrol is not among the meeker petrols. In fact a great petrol engine can give KIA a leap ahead amongst the Harriers and Compasses.
PS: My car purchase,due since 6 months ,is on hold for KIA sp2i.
Old 25th May 2019, 22:56   #137
Senior - BHPian

The Kia SP Concept SUV

The Kia SP is surely in the Harrier / XUV500 / Compass territory. Come on, those interiors are way better than anything that we have in that segment now. The Harrier is good, but it looks like Kia might outdo Tata, especially in fit and finish.

The SP concept would be serious threat to the Harrier and even the Compass. Jeep has already played its card, by launching a fantastic VFM sport plus variant, which costs about 22 lakhs on road. But if Kia offers the SP concept with better equipment, say between 17-22, then it's probably going to get tougher for Jeep to react.

Last edited by motorworks : 25th May 2019 at 23:01.
Old 26th May 2019, 09:45   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

The SP concept would be serious threat to the Harrier and even the Compass. Jeep has already played its card, by launching a fantastic VFM sport plus variant, which costs about 22 lakhs on road. But if Kia offers the SP concept with better equipment, say between 17-22, then it's probably going to get tougher for Jeep to react.
Only question is, will Kia SP be 'fun to drive' car? Or will it be underwhelming to drive like the Hyundai cars? Of course this will only matter to the enthusiasts.
Old 26th May 2019, 21:49   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Only question is, will Kia SP be 'fun to drive' car? Or will it be underwhelming to drive like the Hyundai cars? Of course this will only matter to the enthusiasts.

The so called FTD factor is not a big influencer for most people. And I do not think the Harrier is that kind of car as well. The reviews say it has good braking and seems sure footed around corners, but I doubt if its better than the compass in terms of handling.
I believe Kia SP would be fairly neutral, with a soft ride and better interiors. And trust the Koreans not to be too greedy in pricing. They will probably under cut the compass and be at par with the Harrier.
This is the next big segment to watch out for. Numbers in this 17-22 lakh segment is going to just explode. Most folks driving a Honda City, Creta, and the likes will want to upgrade to these cars. And I hope the SP is a proper upgrade from a Creta.
Old 26th May 2019, 23:04   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
An enthusiast in this segment will probably get an Octavia or a Civic. I also doubt this segment (Compass, Harrier, SP) are particularly good off road either so real mudpluggers will also look elsewhere. Kia should keep it simple.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 11:46   #141
BHPian

The interior hints that this will be priced above the Creta which is already overpriced. Can Kia being a new brand really succeed with such an approach despite good fit n finish as well as loaded features?
I am unclear about which cars will be hit by the launch. This segment is where the battle for market share depends.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 19:39   #142
BHPian

With the sketches the whole bandwagon has jumped into stitched speculations.

Any idea about the dimensions ? Looking at the SP Signature model at Seoul AS, guess its going to be a bit bigger than Creta in length and width, but smaller than Harrier.
Old 30th May 2019, 06:31   #143
Senior - BHPian

The SP Concept "caught" in all it's glory.

While the design is certainly enticing and the detailing gorgeous, I find the Seltos name uninspiring. Tusker sounded great but hasn't been chosen for some reason. This is going to do very well in India if priced right!

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltos1.jpg
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltos2.jpg
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltos3.jpg

Source: Autoblog
arvi86 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 06:47   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

One word: Wow. It is such a gorgeous looking car. Off-late it feels so good to see car makers try and offer us futuristic looking products in keeping with the times, unlike certain Glanzas and Xcents of the world. The Compass and Harrier are going to find a serious competitor in this car. It would be equally interesting to see how does MG price the upcoming Hector in this segment which is getting crowded now. They really need to play their price card lest it would be tough to penetrate our market. A win for consumers at the end of the day.

PS: Please tell Hyundai that this is the way you refresh and facelift a model!
drmohitg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 07:03   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
The SP Concept "caught" in all it's glory.
Looks like an ad shoot for LHD model. The name sounds unique and if chosen for India will take some time to resonate with the Indian consumer. Also note the 4WD badging, which I believe will be skipped for India for sure. But the car is a looker. Lets see how KIA prices it against the competition. Looking forward to buy one if this is within the 10% price range of present Creta.

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2019 at 07:56. Reason: Cleaned up dead links from quoted post
Old 30th May 2019, 08:02   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

More of KIA Seltos,

Quote:
It looks bigger than a Soul, smaller than a Sportage
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltos1.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-2.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-3.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-4.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-5.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-6.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th May 2019 at 08:03.
volkman10 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 09:42   #147
BHPian

The Kia has a very nice silhouette and almost perfect proportions. But is it only me who finds the design very busy ? Its not a very clean car per se.The front and the back has a lot of cuts creases and design elements. Its futuristic and striking for sure, but i find it unnecessarily over styled ! I wonder if this will age well !
The Harrier on the other hand is probably as striking as this but much neater! Sorry, but I love clean designs !

Last edited by coldice4u : 30th May 2019 at 09:47.
coldice4u is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 09:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

KIA is entering India with a Bang ! Hyundai's latest designs have been trash - The Next Gen Creta especially ! They need to learn a thing or two from Kia on clean design front ! I feel this car will do well. Hopefully Kia does not go overboard on pricing front !
Old 30th May 2019, 10:25   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the busy but futuristic looks. Reminds me of a stretched XC40 which is not a limitation at all :-)

Far far better than the kooky-looking new Creta.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 10:31   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Far far better than the kooky-looking new Creta.

Completely agree. I liked the fluidic design language from Hyundai, but now their squint eyed design language as seen on the Venue. Santa Fe, new Creta etc leave me appaled!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed