Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2019, 09:45   #1756
Senior - BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

From what I understand, the Remote Engine/AC start feature will work only in the automatic version? Even in the Hector , the above feature works only in the AT. If it's true, isn't that a bummer? Can anyone confirm?

However, the Hyundai Venue boasts of this feature in the MT also, atleast that's what the SA specified. The car just stalls if it's left in gear.

Why couldn't Kia or MG get that feature onboard their cars , since they're more premium than say the Venue?
Old 11th August 2019, 09:58   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
From what I understand, the Remote Engine/AC start feature will work only in the automatic version? Even in the Hector , the above feature works only in the AT. If it's true, isn't that a bummer? Can anyone confirm?

However, the Hyundai Venue boasts of this feature in the MT also, atleast that's what the SA specified. The car just stalls if it's left in gear.

Why couldn't Kia or MG get that feature onboard their cars , since they're more premium than say the Venue?
As far as I know they won't provide remote engine start on MT. There is always a risk of what gear you park your MT vehicle on. I know a lot of folks park with the gear slotted on the first gear and then if u remote start you know what is going to happen!! For At you always know you have to park in P mode.

I highly doubt Venue having this feature in MT, as usual I suspect lack of knowledge of the sales representatives.
springisking is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 10:21   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2007 View Post
Last time I checked few months ago, creta top end in BLR is ~19.5 and creta doesn't have a true top end in Automatic hence an Automatic in Top end turbo petrol can surpass 20L on paper. Also remember this is a more updated car with BS6 engines etc.
That's the catch here for Kia! On paper, the Seltos looks more premium than Creta and as per the reviews available currently, a better car with very good drivability, compared to its competitors in the segment. Bells and Whistles are comparable to Hector. Potentially has a true top end with 6 airbags and auto gear. Engine is BS6 compatible and not BS6 ready.

All these above points are a definite plus for Seltos. But that doesn't mean that a new entrant into Indian industry (that too launching their car at a time when even the most trusted brands like Maruti and Hyundai are facing a major slowdown in sales) can price the Seltos at a premium price tag. People queued up for MG Hector, not just for it's fancy features but also for its price tag. MG was able to first attract pre booking showing its features and retain the bookings, showing its launch price. There is no other option for Kia, except to follow the same approach. Well if Kia's target is not volume, then they can price the car pricely. But this would mean, they will have close to 75% of pre bookings cancelled. That would be catastrophic for Kia and it would loose out on its first impression in India.

I have even pre booked the Seltos, with in the first 2-3 days of their pre bookings opening. I am satisfied with their features and I have kind of decided the variant, gear box and color. But nothing is finalized, until the prices are revealed. They have taken a great first step by launching a car that people have liked. Their second step of pricing also needs to be people friendly. AP Govt has helped them with huge tax subsidy and acres of lands were sold to them for peanut price. This was done with the intention that AP localities will be getting a chunk of the jobs at Kia and that the fully made/assembled car in India is priced very competitively. While Kia has landed in some trouble with the former, I wish they don't land in trouble with the later.

Last edited by MukundanMK : 11th August 2019 at 10:27.
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 10:33   #1759
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
Oh I did not know that the display is configurable and neither did the SA tell me when I complained about it. I am not very tall but I prefer higher seating position considering I come from the XUV!
You can safely strike out this negative from your list then. The HUD can be adjusted for position, font size and color.
Eddy is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 10:34   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2007 View Post
Last time I checked few months ago, creta top end in BLR is ~19.5 and creta doesn't have a true top end in Automatic hence an Automatic in Top end turbo petrol can surpass 20L on paper. Also remember this is a more updated car with BS6 engines etc.

Now agree Kia doesn't have the same brand equity as Hyundai plus they seem to have some tax advantage in AP so they can play with prices but we can only hope at this point.
But we are forgetting the fact that new gen Creta would be launched early next year with the same underpinnings and the price would be up a little bit as well. So essentially it is Seltos v/s 2020 Creta and don't take the current model for comparison in terms of pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You can safely strike out this negative from your list then. The HUD can be adjusted for position, font size and color.
Thanks, this helps! My confusion was between GTX and GTX+, BOSE disappointed me I hope they get the EQ setting right and it really surprises me. HUD you have helped me with the config setting option. Ventilated seats I like it generally. 360 camera is a plus but I can live without it. I like sunroof generally but without panoramic it is just another cosmetic thing for me. Powered Seats is really low on my list, I am the only driver at home so once I set it unless I give for service or valet it is not really a deal breaker, also without memory function anyways I have to set it back in those cases.

Price point between the two variants would be the deciding factor now.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th August 2019 at 12:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 11th August 2019, 11:15   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Below is the official communication from KIA, 1.4 GTX+ DCT & 1.5 GTX+ AT diesel is coming. That puts to rest the criticism against not giving 6 airbags I guess.
Seems like a fake.

Spelling mistakes at places, like 'Kia Selto' in the very first line of the email. 'Despatches'.

Please confirm the credibility of the sources before posting.
Thank you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th August 2019 at 08:39. Reason: Spacing
Old 11th August 2019, 11:20   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
Thanks, this helps! My confusion was between GTX and GTX+, BOSE disappointed me I hope they get the EQ setting right and it really surprises me. HUD you have helped me with the config setting option. Ventilated seats I like it generally. 360 camera is a plus but I can live without it. I like sunroof generally but without panoramic it is just another cosmetic thing for me. Powered Seats is really low on my list, I am the only driver at home so once I set it unless I give for service or valet it is not really a deal breaker, also without memory function anyways I have to set it back in those cases.

Price point between the two variants would be the deciding factor now.
Sir, in case you have misunderstood, HUD is there in GTX as well. Features missing from GTX+ would be Sunroof, Ventilated front seats, BOSE speakers, 8 way power adjustable seats and front parking sensors. 360 camera and Blind View monitor would also be missing as a standard accessory in GTX. However, these 2 can be added as an accessory (expected to be around 15-20K).
Old 11th August 2019, 12:02   #1763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
From what I understand, the Remote Engine/AC start feature will work only in the automatic version? Even in the Hector , the above feature works only in the AT. If it's true, isn't that a bummer? Can anyone confirm?...
Almost all of us Indians park the car and leave it in 1st gear (quite rightfully so). What if someone left it in gear & forgot to engage the hand-brake? The car will jump like a race horse if started remotely and can damage other cars also!

It makes more sense to have this "feature" (more on that later) in an automatic car. Its not good for the transmission's health to just stall often.

======
If it were given in an MT car - this is the conversation I imagine in an IT company.

Owner - Hey look at this cool feature in my new Seltos. I'm starting it from our desk here. It will be all cooled by AC by the time we reach the parking.

Colleague - Oh man thats cool! Lets go now then!

[Parking]
Colleague - Dude your car is really silent! Err, or did it not start?

Owner - Yikes I had left it in gear & it seems to have stalled after starting.

Colleague - Meh... (Yeyy my Brezza is old school and gets the job done anyway then!)
======
That means the software will have to have extra 2-way feedback mechanism where the car tells the app that its in gear & won't start. Which in turns does away with the usability value of the feature anyway. Better not to include it in MT and keep things simpler then.

Regarding this remote start FEATURE
I'm totally not in favour of this & don't consider this a feature at all. In today's era where we are trying to do away with fossil fuels - starting a car even earlier than normal is hypocritical. Also - hundreds of owners will do it again and again to impress their peers, colleagues & relatives. In cases where the engine wouldn't have been started at all!

Even a few grams of extra carbon into the environment just so that I can have my car cooled when I reach it is the rock bottom of sensibility (lack thereof) & care about nature that we have reached. We humans are too arrogant now & someone needs to put brakes on this!!

I really wish that responsible forums like TBHP are used to raise awareness on such matters as well.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th August 2019 at 12:12.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 12:11   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Regarding this remote start FEATURE
I'm totally not in favour of this & don't consider this a feature at all. In today's era where we are trying to do away with fossil fuels - starting a car even earlier than normal is hypocritical. Also - hundreds of owners will do it again and again to impress their peers, colleagues & relatives. In cases where the engine wouldn't have been started at all!

Even a few grams of extra carbon into the environment just so that I can have my car cooled when I reach it is the rock bottom of sensibility (lack thereof) & care about nature that we have reached. We humans are too arrogant now & someone needs to put brakes on this!!
I have a slightly differing view here, this is a technology irrespective of the type of the car be it fuel driven or electric, so we need to appreciate the tech here. Also it comes in handy in summer especially when it is smoking hot, you start the vehicle cool the car for 3-4 mins and then go sit in the car cool.

Agreed on the fossil fuel part but that is a different discussion to have.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th August 2019 at 07:29. Reason: Trimming quoted text
springisking is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 12:36   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Kia Seltos (Mid Variant HTK/HTK+) in Various Colors.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0001.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0002.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0009.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0003.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0004.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0005.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0007.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0010.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0008.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190811wa0012.jpg

Pic Source - WhatsApp
CarguyNish is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 13:01   #1766
BHPian

Looks pretty neat for a middle variant. Tyres are of Kumho make. But, is it just me feeling that the silver coloured front grille and rear stripe looks better than the chrome one on the top variants ?
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 13:09   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Kia Seltos (Mid Variant HTK/HTK+)

Pic Source - WhatsApp
These are HTK+ and I believe this variant is going to be a hot seller as it should be the most VFM. The alloys look neat and that black window line and brushed silver front grill look subtler than that flashy chrome on HTX. I wish to book HTK+ diesel if it is priced at the rumoured 12.99 ex showroom delhi.
Old 11th August 2019, 13:32   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthu88 View Post
Hello,

I found the Compass AT very underpowered, though I love the looks and suspension, it's going to be very hard to pick it over the Seltos, if the Seltos DCT TD is as good as the reviews say.
Compass DCT would have been a great success had FCA improved the engine's output. Combination of Kia 1.4 DCT power with compass looks could have been a market segment killer. There are so many people, especially in NCR who have been bitten hard by the 10 yr diesel bug and are unwilling to rethink diesel. Kia appears to have done a good job in this segment till now. Icing on the cake will be the pricing.
aarvee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 15:18   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvee View Post
Compass DCT would have been a great success had FCA improved the engine's output. Combination of Kia 1.4 DCT power with compass looks could have been a market segment killer. There are so many people, especially in NCR who have been bitten hard by the 10 yr diesel bug and are unwilling to rethink diesel. Kia appears to have done a good job in this segment till now. Icing on the cake will be the pricing.
I drove Compass limited plus petrol and was considerably happy with the output, I could really zip away( trust me I drive at really high speeds, although it is not adviced). I never felt the lack of power. It is turbo charged petrol 160bhp, with due respect that's not bad considering it is 20bhp more than Seltos for 0.2 kg more weight. Ofcourse can't match the diesel output but iat no point did I feel underpowered.
Old 11th August 2019, 16:15   #1770
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
Hello All,

Myself and my daughter (5.5 years old) visited the Kia showroom (located near Hoodi, Graphite Junction, Bangalore) on Sunday morning..... For kids, out of sight is out of mind. But for me, this car is going to get stuck in my mind for long time.
Wonderful and heart-warming post! Today our grandson is 4 and a half, and your post brought back a rush of memories of our daughter's childhood. Thanks for a great nostalgia trip.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed