Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 15:36   #2356
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by govs View Post
Yes agree that Seltos HTX+ D AT is better compared to Creta SX 1.6 D AT as price difference is not much and it is about a lakh difference in whcih you are getting BS-VI in Seltos. But Seltos GTX DCT is over-priced and it costs almost 3L more than Creta P AT. I feel Seltos GTX DCT is over-priced atleast 1L more if not more than that. Hence moving towards Creta P AT/ES P AT.

Agreed its over priced, But please note that kia GT is turbo petrol and hence could not be compared to creta petrol.
Another important aspect is 6 airbags which exists in GTX automatic which could not be obtained through creta petrol SX AT
GT is fun to drive, 1.5 P HT is regular petrol
Old 26th August 2019, 15:51   #2357
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
And the consequence of the excess 'weight' is this:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-413714

Just have a look at the dismal performance numbers:
Thats because of underpowered engine in Hector which i am not even considering. The same car timing in Diesel is 11 secs because of the engine.

Also seltos NA petrol will have similar poor performance and similar poor efficiency

Quote:

Also, in my opinion, the weight of the door is only part of the overall build quality equation.
In my view, everything which you touch and feel, from the way the plastics are screwed down, the uniformity of panels and gaps, the quality of the rubbers, etc. everything adds up to 'build quality'.

If we go by only door weight, then our ancestral Ambassador is better than any of the cars on sale today.
Don't want to stretch this further, but you are focusing too much on "door weight'. Correctly engineered thicker panel car will be safer than similar car with lighter panel if the material of construction is same.

Hence a carbon fiber lighter car will obviously be more safer than any heavy steel car. Conversely a heavy Mahindra bolero will be unsafe than a heavy Harrier and similarly a lighter maruti will be unsafe than somewhat lighter hyundai. (Broadly speaking)
Old 26th August 2019, 15:52   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
On closer look, I do feel the higher variants of the Kia are overpriced. I am looking at the 1.4 Turbo petrol engine only as I prefer petrol cars and the 1.5 NA pterol will provide poor performance considering the power figures and the size/weight of the vehicle. In the GT-line variant, I think the GTK is very well priced at 13.49 lakhs, the only major missing thing is the additional airbags and ESP. Many of the additional features in GTX/GTX+ are gimmicky in nature which I don't need at all. I am now extremely confused if shelling out the additional ~2lakhs on-road for the GTX is worth it. I know safety is most important but still can't quite digest the price difference.
I agree on GTX+, but considering safety features like 6 air bags, ESP, definitely worth the amount for long term and safety
Ignoring 6 air bags for HT series is big miss considering the Indian government push for safety.

HTX, HTX+ both petrol and Diesel does not make good safety for money. With out safety, all the bells and whistles would not be worth
Old 26th August 2019, 15:58   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
Not sure if you have test driven Harrier or Hector. Those cars are definitely better built than Seltos (perhaps may not have even panel gaps or better fit and finish).
In case of accident heavy panels (engineered correctly) will be more safe than lighter panels. I have both Tiago and Verna Fluidic and hence first hand experience in difference in build quality.
Recently both of my cars had accidents and coincidentally both were hit from side behind rear right door. Tiago was hit by a truck and Verna by a Honda brio. Even though Tiago was hit with more force by heavier vehicle, damage to both were same. Had Verna been hit by a truck I am sure entire door had to be replaced (and may be passenger would have been injured)
Additionally I just hate Hyundai's paint quality and even slight abrasions cause deep scratches.

I am seeing same build quality in Kia Seltos and that's not justified for the price being quoted. Btw not only doors, I tried lifting bonnet of Hector and it sure was really heavy.
I don't want to go off-topic but that's an over simplistic way of measuring build quality. If I have to consider safety, I would trust crash test results/ratings and not just because some car's door was more damaged than some other car. I repeat a heavy car does not mean a safe car. It's a fact not my opinion go and check NCAP crash test results of some light and heavy cars and be ready to be surprised.
And build quality means a lot more than heaviness of the door or bonnet as mentioned by fellow bhp-ian Abhishek below,so I will not repeat. Anyways, I promise not to prolong this discussion further

Quote:

Personally, I feel that Hyundai (and to some extent Toyota (corolla, innova)) have found the right level of build 'weight'. Not too heavy, not too light either.

Also, in my opinion, the weight of the door is only part of the overall build quality equation.
In my view, everything which you touch and feel, from the way the plastics are screwed down, the uniformity of panels and gaps, the quality of the rubbers, etc. everything adds up to 'build quality'.

If we go by only door weight, then our ancestral Ambassador is better than any of the cars on sale today.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 16:07   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post

Also seltos NA petrol will have similar poor performance and similar poor efficiency

KIA is claiming 11.XX Seconds for the "poor" 1.5 NA Petrol.
That's not really bad in my books. Not explosive either.

However, before jumping the gun, and concluding things, it is best to wait for full fledged Road Tests, both from TBhp & ACI, OD etc.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 16:10   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
I completely agree to both these points Suchit!
a) I drive a 7-year-old Duster
I was driving a 7 year old Duster as well till months back, looks like you also picked it up when it was launched.

I desperately waited for an upgrade that makes sense has everything that I want (Automatic being the most important) and is still VFM but the Indian auto industry continued to fail me.

First the Harrier, I was so excited, until the TBHP review was out, GTO threw ice cold water on my dreams

Then the Hector, but it being a new company plus the faults being reported and also it is a little too big for me.

Now this Seltos, I think its grossly overpriced for a new brand, they should have priced it in lines with Hector aggressiveness.

Add the confusion about BS6 norms, I decided to pick up a Baleno instead as an upgrade for my wife and wait patiently for my next.
suchit23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 16:16   #2362
BHPian

Went to KIA showroom on Saturday with couple of my friends to test drive Seltos as one of my friends was interested in buying it.

Luckily for us, we were able to test drive 4 variants - diesel manual, turbo petrol DCT, petrol iVT and turbo petrol manual. But for me the experience was underwhelming especially the performance part. The turbo petrol is being marketed as a performance variant, but couldnt get any pickup/pull feeling while driving. Even the diesel was very linear and felt like NA petrol. Dont get me wrong, the drive was very smooth and suspension also felt good with the right amount of stiffness.

In comparison, I have driven Creta diesel, S cross 1.6, Vento 1.6 etc and performance in these cars were in a different league. Is it due to BS6 emissions ?
toretto is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 16:28   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
The correct comparison is Seltos HTX IVT , not GTX. What you lose in sunroof , you gain in bs6 engine and 4 wheel disc brakes. Prices are similar
Agreed that it is BS6 from day 1 in Seltos. But is IVT a really good option for city driving with heavy traffic wrt mileage/maintenance cost? The reviews I read so far says IVT is poor in mileage. Can you share some info on Creta P AT mileage in comparison with HTX IVT, As per my info both are similar when it comes to mileage? Also one of the BHPian asked to check IVT and TD thoroughly before taking a decision. In this regard I feel Creta P AT has no other niggles other than mileage. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th August 2019, 16:28   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I don't want to go off-topic but that's an over simplistic way of measuring build quality. If I have to consider safety, I would trust crash test results/ratings and not just because some car's door was more damaged than some other car. I repeat a heavy car does not mean a safe car. It's a fact not my opinion go and check NCAP crash test results of some light and heavy cars and be ready to be surprised.
And build quality means a lot more than heaviness of the door or bonnet as mentioned by fellow bhp-ian Abhishek below,so I will not repeat. Anyways, I promise not to prolong this discussion further
I don't want to repeat myself but I mentioned similar points in my earlier reply. NCAP (if available) is obviously the benchmark. However in absence of NCAP we need to depend on reviews and other experiences.

Heavier car is not the safest but heavier car with correct engineering can be safer than lighter car for same material of construction. I have had multiple experiences where Tiago proved to be better built than Verna (though this may not be true in case of high speed accidents).

Anyways, for me seltos is almost out of equation as the version I am interested (GTX+ diesel) is way overpriced and will prefer compass in that price bracket. Additionally my experience with Shreenath Kia (thane - Maharashtra) was below par with sales people just not showing interest to offer test drives. In fact much below par if we consider superior Hyundai sales experience.

Now will wait for more reviews of Hector else it again back to square one :(
Old 26th August 2019, 16:39   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post
Went to KIA showroom on Saturday with couple of my friends to test drive Seltos as one of my friends was interested in buying it.

Luckily for us, we were able to test drive 4 variants - diesel manual, turbo petrol DCT, petrol iVT and turbo petrol manual. But for me the experience was underwhelming especially the performance part.
How did you like the IVT ? Did it feel under powered ? Also did you feel the rubber band effect ?
I have pre booked the Seltos but I'm very much confused between the HTX 1.5P IVT or the HTX 1.5 D manual. With ever growing traffic in my city brain tells me to go for the IVT but my heart wants the diesel. Would love to know your impression !

Last edited by kraken : 26th August 2019 at 16:40. Reason: Formatting issues.
Old 26th August 2019, 17:01   #2366

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
I, for one, don't like the Seltos, at all. But I'm going to put my personal bias aside, and tell you that the 1.5 HTX gets the CVT gearbox, and the GTX series gets a dual clutch gearbox. How good or efficient it is, nobody knows as of yet. It may be blissful, it may be horrendous.

The only point I'm trying to make here is that the inefficiency of the CVT is irrelevant when we are talking about the GT line.

Do I think any variant of the Seltos is worth anything over 15? Nope.

But if you think it's worth your dollar, wait for a few reviews.

Also check out the ARAI numbers.
I test drove the HTX petrol auto from JSP Kia showroom in Marathahalli, Bangalore. I find the engine+gearbox combo adequate for most of the ppl looking at a petrol automatic for the price range. It was not too slow to respond.

Also, I noticed the display showing 10kmpl after 2 days of others test driving the car back to back. For comparison, I test drove Venue DCT (booked as well) on the first week of release and its display was showing 7kmpl.

Now I am thinking of canceling Venue and book Seltos petrol auto.
For 2.7L extra, I'm getting rear wiper, split seat, extra space, better build and ride quality, 4 disc brakes
kottan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 17:05   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvardhanraje View Post
Me : Since you are a part of the same group.
Sales Rep : No way. Hyundai and Kia are completely different entities. We are not related to Hyundai in any way. Kia owns Hyundai.
Me : But you share the same components i.e. engines, chassis, gearbox, etc.
Sales Rep : This is false. We are independent and do not share anything with Hyundai.
Me : Ok. Thanks for the revelation (I said this on a sarcastic note but she didn't get it).

At this point I felt there is no use in discussing anything further.
I agree with end reaction, however if I would have been in your place, I would have simply asked the Sales Rep to open the bonnet and reavealed the secret to her. Many parts will be seen with Hyundai & Kia markings.
Secondly, I would have opened Google and shown the true picture about ownership.

Why I would do that ? Because these sales reps must know that customers aren't naive and they can't get away by blurting out whatever mis-information they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
- A bit off topic, however that's not exactly correct. HUDs in aircraft cockpit do use the similar projector-combiner glass elements as now seen in cars (such as Seltos), with images collimated (projected to infinity)
Thanks for sharing the details. Its a good insight.
Quote:
so that one does not have to consciously re-focus one's eyes on the symbology, when looking out....

Now, its back to Seltos! All said and done, it is a HUD, even though a rather rudimentary one! However, its utility depends on its implementation - its definitely not in the primary field-of-view
This was my primary concern point. I didn't knew how to express it.

AFAIK, from my contacts in Automotive industry, the technology/ setup to project images directly on windshield (right in the field-of-view) is available. However, its not opted by manufacturers for the cost impact. Though this cost impact is not prohibitively high considering the utility.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 17:42   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
How did you like the IVT ? Did it feel under powered ? Also did you feel the rubber band effect ?
I have pre booked the Seltos but I'm very much confused between the HTX 1.5P IVT or the HTX 1.5 D manual. With ever growing traffic in my city brain tells me to go for the IVT but my heart wants the diesel. Would love to know your impression !
iVT did not feel underpowered, but it has rubber band effect associated with CVT gearboxes on hard accelaration. As long as you are gentle on the throttle it should be fine.
Old 26th August 2019, 19:19   #2369
BHPian

Before anyone goes ahead to book the 1.4L GDI variant, do Google for its performance first.

After an impressive TD, I came back to do some research around the beast. I typed in 'Kia GDI' and Google completed the sentence with options like :

Kia GDI problems
Kia GDI recall

I'm not sure how old this engine is or its different from what's available outside India, but surely puts a second thought in my mind.

Who knows, we might start seeing breakdown pictures of Seltos soon, just like the ones we have been seeing of Hector.
hiren.sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 19:39   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govs View Post
Agreed that it is BS6 from day 1 in Seltos. But is IVT a really good option for city driving with heavy traffic wrt mileage/maintenance cost? The reviews I read so far says IVT is poor in mileage. Can you share some info on Creta P AT mileage in comparison with HTX IVT, As per my info both are similar when it comes to mileage? Also one of the BHPian asked to check IVT and TD thoroughly before taking a decision. In this regard I feel Creta P AT has no other niggles other than mileage. Thanks in advance.
IVT being CVT will theoretically (based on experience with city CVT) give better mileage compared to the torque converter in the Creta. Realistic mileage for the Creta Petrol AT will be about 7-9 kpl. Creta's driving position is higher and more SUV'like compared to Seltos
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks