Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 19:41   #2371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Creta's driving position is higher and more SUV'like compared to Seltos

Both will have same driving position. Seltos is less in roof height, not seating height.
Old 26th August 2019, 20:10   #2372
Distinguished - BHPian

Its so irritating to watch KIA SELTOS TV commercials & display ads now.

It has already got an good response in an already dull current Indian Automotive Scene.

Its time Kia India realise the above, Stop the Marketing Gimmicks, concentrate on Production, RESPECT the Pre-Orders & DELIVER THEIR GOD DAMN CARS !

Last edited by karan561 : 26th August 2019 at 20:13.
karan561 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 20:38   #2373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
Hi,

Does anyone has any idea about when the deliveries or price for the GTX Plus Diesel Automatic be announced?
I got a call from kia motors India and they wanted to know about my booking experience.

Also, I told the person that the test drive vehicles are not enough including automatics and I have booked the gtx+

The Kia rep then Informed that the gtx+ will be announced in first week of September and the deliveries will start a week later to it.

Can someone also validate it ?
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 20:56   #2374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Both will have same driving position. Seltos is less in roof height, not seating height.
More or less same but Seltos felt like having a little more car like position than the Creta (which has little bit upright seating position). Difference could be just 5-10%.
Old 26th August 2019, 21:34   #2375
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
What do you mean by build quality? Space, I agree.
Both Harrier and Hector seem to have quite a few issues with uneven panel gaps and general fit and finish while Kia seems to have done a great job in those aspects. I strongly feel we need to get out of the mindset of heavy door means great build quality. I would anyday prefer a lighter car which can offer me safety and stability.
Sir, I mean no offence but I feel that in absence of NCAP ratings, we have to take our guess based on these things only. Much was said about 3rd gen Swift's light weight when it was launched because Punto, a much heavier car scored 0 stars but even the Swift which was defended by many saying that it is based on a new platform scored only 2 stars in Global NCAP. I agree that a heavier car does not mean it is safer and also hampers fuel economy but if we compare two newly designed vehicles both launched in 2019 on new enough platforms then I guess the car which *feels* to be more solidly built will definitely inspire a lot more confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
In case of accident heavy panels (engineered correctly) will be more safe than lighter panels. I have both Tiago and Verna Fluidic and hence first hand experience in difference in build quality.
Recently both of my cars had accidents and coincidentally both were hit from side behind rear right door. Tiago was hit by a truck and Verna by a Honda brio. Even though Tiago was hit with more force by heavier vehicle, damage to both were same. Had Verna been hit by a truck I am sure entire door had to be replaced (and may be passenger would have been injured).
I totally agree on the Tiago build quality part, I was rear ended by an Omni where I was on standstill and he came at a decent speed and all I got was a dent in the boot. I once rear ended a WagonR at crawling speed in my Swift 1st gen which was a lot heavier than 2nd and 3rd generation models but I lost radiator, front bumper, bonnet and a lot more.
Also, the poor cabbie in WagonR lost his rear bumper and boot.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th August 2019 at 09:31. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 22:22   #2376
BHPian

Just my 2 cents on the heavy vs light -

1. Heavier ones face the abuse much better in the Indian context. Dings and scrapes are worse off on the flimsy ones.
2. Cars like Liva or Etios might be 4/5* safety rated, just closing that door is a sickening experience.

I prefer Tata's approach to build cars that feel solid and work solid in Indian conditions. Yes, there will be issues along the way but that's why Mahindra and Tata cars are priced around 10% cheaper than the market.

Seltos felt light in construction in my brief experience with the car. Time will tell how it works out in real-world conditions. I also think that sheet metal will have a key role to play in some crashes.
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 22:52   #2377
BHPian

Attached is the SIAM FE test results for Seltos, revised on 22nd Aug.

G1.5 6MT - 16.5 kmpl
G1.5 IVT - 16.8 kmpl
G1.4T 6MT - 16.1 kmpl
G1.4T 7DCT - 16.5 kmpl
D1.5 6MT - 21.0 kmpl
D1.5 6AT - 18 kmpl

Observe the weight bands the different variants fall into, to know a ballpark figure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Seltos FE SIAM Data Revised.pdf (676.8 KB, 803 views)
dksv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 00:12   #2378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
I once rear ended a WagonR at crawling speed in my Swift 1st gen which was a lot heavier than 2nd and 3rd generation models but I lost radiator, front bumper, bonnet and a lot more.
Also, the poor cabbie in WagonR lost his rear bumper and boot.
Glad that both of your cars didn't become 'total loss' after that 'crawling speed' crash.

Jokes apart; can you mention what was the speed you were referring as 'crawling speed'? Or, only the Wagon R at the front was in crawling speed, and you were cruising at higher speed?

Last edited by SDP : 27th August 2019 at 09:14. Reason: Clash -> crash
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 00:46   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Glad that both of your cars didn't become 'total loss' after that 'crawling speed' clash.

Jokes apart; can you mention what was the speed you were referring as 'crawling speed'? Or, only the Wagon R at the front was in crawling speed, and you were cruising at higher speed?
LOL. I got that sarcasm, sir.
The WagonR was at a standstill and I hit it from behind at about 20-30kmph max. However in the case of Tiago where I was on receiving end, I was on a standstill and can't really be sure about the speed of that Omni but I guess even then it couldn't have been more than 40-50 kmph.
shivamk11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 07:26   #2380

I want to highlight this point, where I feel that the Kia is has not shown full confidence on their new product in India.

1. 3 yrs warranty for India which is extendable to 5 yrs. Where as global Kia gives warranty of 7 to 10 yrs (Various conditions).

a) this could be due to their less confidence on their product and its quality.

b) they feel that the conditions in India are far more worst that Europe and Uk. Which I agree.

If they don't have trust on their product then how they can assume customers to trust them?

Any inputs will be highly appreciable
sunil.marine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 09:00   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Tata gives 2 years warranty extendable to 4 years. I think most manufacturers here are in the same boat. I agree that Kia could have been the first to offer 7 years warranty, it's a missed opportunity to demonstrate ruggedness. Also, I don't know if success has gotten to them but they have not called once after I had been to their showroom (Naara, JP Nagar). So yes, they are the new flag bearers for high-handedness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil.marine View Post
3 yrs warranty for India which is extendable to 5 yrs. Where as global Kia gives warranty of 7 to 10 yrs
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 09:10   #2382
BHPian

So I dont know if this is the right thread to put this, but as a serious buyer of the cars in question (Kia Seltos & MG Hector) i did some rigorous test drives of both and found the following -

Looks

Kia Seltos - Looks balanced, subtle and smart in my opinion
MG Hector - Looks massive, definitely a size bigger, a lot bolder but I kind-of dislike the small tyres and the slightly lower width to length ratio

Interiors
Kia Seltos - Exudes Quality, yes some plastics are low grade but everything feels like it will last forever, space is reasonable
MG Hector - Pampers you but somehow i did feel that some of the switchgear wont stand the test of time, space is excellent

The Drive
Kia Seltos - (1.4 TGDI) so there is good response from low down and then a linear power delivery all the way to the red line. Car feels light on its feet and easy to twist and twirl in the city with a light and accurate steering. Out on the highway the car is well balanced with outstanding straightline stability and good cornering ability, feels sure footed at all times on all roads. The steering also maintains its weight and composure at high speeds. Brakes are good too and well calibrated with a gradual bite and reasonable stopping distance.

MG Hector - (petrol) There is lag low down in the power band which will be a worry in the city and the steering & clutch feel quite heavy too with a rubbery shift and over-servo-d brakes which literally catch you out with the sudden bite. Out on the highway the steering weighs up well but lacks the accuracy of the seltos (read slow to respond) but power delivery is good and the slightly spiky torque delivery helps it perform a tad better in overtaking situations than the seltos but at the top end the seltos takes the prize again. The suspension which is a lot better than the seltos in the city due to the soft set-up literally scares you on the highway at speeds in excess of 120K and it rolls in the corners making you feel like it would topple if you exceed the standard hatchback cornering speeds though the grip makes it hold its line. Brakes out on the highway feel grabby too and while they make you feel like they are super powerful, due to the weight of the vehicle the car stops in about the same distance as the seltos.

My worry

So when i took a test drive of the mg hector which was a friends car, a few days and about 1500kms old, the turbo-charger had whining noise already and the brakes made a squeaky noise on being pressed into the floor. That did not leave a very good impression on me and the seltos in comparison felt flawless while it was a Test drive vehicle with about 700kms on the clock (read - has taken more abuse).

Conclusion

I find the seltos to be the driver's choice and the no-nonsense car while the Hector is the braggers' delight and the chauffer driven choice. While the kia seltos felt to me like it would stand the test of time (just felt so, has to be observed to conclude) the MG Hector felt like it is going to have some faults over time (though it is covered by the risk packages offered by MG)

My money goes to Kia
The AG 6167 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 09:17   #2383
BHPian

Has anyone seen the 3.5 inch MID in the Seltos and compared it with the 7 inch one?

The 7 inch one surely looks good, quite premium. That is one feature I am most attracted by. The Bose speakers, HUD etc are not as exciting for me.

I am absolutely disappointed with the lack of safety features in the Tech line. Even the Hyundai Venue gets all these features.
I also don't understand why the HTX/HTX+/GTX+ get beige seats and no option to get the black ones. Beige ones are difficult to maintain and start looking bad really quickly.

The HTX seems to fit in my budget, but the lack of safety features+beige seats make me wonder whether the Venue is a better choice (although it is smaller and a segment down).

The GTK does ok on the safety front but doesn't have enough of those gimmicks that would justify its price.
Doesn't get tyre pressure monitoring system.

I would personally recommend buying the GTX/GTX+ if the budget fits. (Tech line doesn't make sense without safety features)

These variants have enough of a premium feel that will last. I see the next gen Creta being priced at par or slightly above the Seltos (BS6+Technology upgrades will make sure)
Vedant Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:33   #2384
BHPian

Got a chance to test drive diesel top end last weekend.
First comment I received from my family - Seltos feels good inside and elegant but MG doesn't.
During the short test drive, the gear shifting didn't feel smooth in Seltos and power seems sufficient. SA told us that in a week or so, diesel auto top end will be launched - not sure why kia wouldn't do a full launch rather keep it for later!
The 360 degree camera image stitching is such crap. Tried in the showroom vehicle, it was horrible. Wish the sunroof was a tag bigger. It feels small for the vehicle even from the driver seat.
Old 27th August 2019, 11:48   #2385
BHPian

I visited Bhavna Kia showroom at Navi Mumbai as I have booked HTX + Diesel AT.

It is surprising that this model does not have VSM, HAC, ESC etc as standard some of which are present on my 2012 Ford Fiesta AT. The test drive of AT is not available to top it all.

I can wait for Diesel AT GTX+ but the sales advisor was not confident of launch and delivery date. In the mean time I also started looking at Honda City VX CVT and Rapid Diesel DCT. Honda City seems to have better interior and more space. It is just that a new City is on the horizon.

Being a car buyer in current times is tough as Ciaz, City, Creta etc will be launched in new iteration while Vento and Rapid are 10 year old cars. Yaris is also dead on arrival. Harrier does not have an AT while Hector does not appeal to me at all. XUV 500 is also on its way to be replaced by new model as this one feels old now.

I am surprised as to why Ford etc did not attack the compact SUV market to take on the Creta. Volkswagen is coming with T-Cross as Kia with Seltos but will they be successful. For a thriving market we need more that two or three successful car makers. Right now Tata, Mahindra, Volkswagen are all struggling and Maruti struggling to grow. I think Bharat VI norms are also hurting them somewhat as no one prepared for it in advance.

Let's hope Kia Seltos, Hector and Tata Harrier are successful so that they can establish these brands into our market and we have more and more options.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th August 2019 at 11:54. Reason: Typos
RajeevSharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed