Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 20:01   #2956
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
Here are some pictures of the engine bay
Thanks. Oddly I can't find the same ugly weld lines here. What variant is this?
Old 25th September 2019, 20:03   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Thanks. Oddly I can't find the same ugly weld lines here. What variant is this?
On which variant did you see weld lines?
Old 25th September 2019, 20:06   #2958
Senior - BHPian

There were 2 models in the dealership. It was the GT line I think with red stripes.
Old 25th September 2019, 21:25   #2959
Senior - BHPian

but important from the perspective of this thread.

Is there any link between the Hyundai/Kia Engines catching fire (Non Collision Spontaneous Fires) and the Engine that is plonked in the new Seltos? : (US to investigate Kia and Hyundai cars over fires)

There seems to be lots of noise in USA this year about Kia engines catching fire as well as even the Replacement engines offered by Kia going on fire. Is the BS VI Engine that Kia is selling here a different one or the same?

Here are more articles:
  • Hyundai, Kia Recall Over 500K Vehicles as Fire Risk Spreads : URL
  • NHTSA Investigating Three Million Hyundai and Kia Vehicles for Fires : URL
  • Kia and Hyundai Non-Crash Fires : URL
  • GDI Engines Stalling and catching fire in Hyundai and Kia Vehicles: URL
  • Hyundai and Kia Engine Fire causes 11 Class Action Lawsuits: URL

Quote:
Congress is also mentioned in the lawsuit because Hyundai and Kia were invited to answer questions about the GDI engine fires.
However, the automakers were a no-show for the hearing.

Now that the Seltos has put the sales chart on fire will it also set the road on fire?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 25th September 2019 at 21:34.
vsrivatsa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 23:14   #2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post

[*]Fun to drive 'Daily': The moment you start flooring the DCT you will loose out on mileage and reliability both big time, whereas the D-TC will not show much variation even with a heavy right foot, so in real world I will have more fun on the D-TC over the better tuned DCT. So #3 also with D-TC.
Can you help me understand this better? Apologies if that sounds obvious but why would there be little variance in mileage when you floor a D AT
Old 26th September 2019, 01:06   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
I have a question to all who are in Delhi/NCR.
Why go for Seltos Diesel right now when the trend seems to be shifting to Petrol's ? Everyone knows about the 10 year issue here, but maybe it does not bother many people?

I have even heard from the sales reps at the showroom's that the booking for Petrol variants is higher than Diesel by quite a margin and as such the deliveries for the Petrol's is actually faster. (again, this is as per the dealership)

But still, doesn't everyone feel that the trend for Petrol's is rising and that at the time of selling the Diesel, you may get a lower value as compared to the Petrol.

These are just my views and observations so please feel free to correct me if I wrong in any (or all) of the points above. Would love to hear the community's view on this topic.
Also, please add any additional thoughts and/or observations that you may have.

P.S. I have also booked the Seltos and in a bit of a conundrum as to which one to pick, the Diesel TC, or the Petrol DCT. My main running around will be in Delhi/NCR area. The sales rep has given me a delivery date around mid-October for the DCT and towards end October for the D TC (tentatively), so would like reach a consensus on this as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
I am a perfect use case for this scenario as I live in Delhi and drive 70 kms a day. I have a diesel vehicle driven 84k kms in 5 years however given the fact that kia petrol will not be as fuel efficient as a Honda or a maruti, along with the fact that the 1.4 petrol and Diesel are priced equally make it a strong case for diesel complemented by the DCT gearbox issues
Alive2Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 07:33   #2962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonsharim View Post
Can you help me understand this better? Apologies if that sounds obvious but why would there be little variance in mileage when you floor a D AT
Driven carefully, petrol turbocharged engines do offer efficiency gains. But that efficiency can quickly disappear if you drive it hard. A turbocharged petrol engine turns into a fuel-hog under hard acceleration, because the large volume of air being pumped into the cylinders must be matched by a larger volume of fuel to keep a constant fuel : air mixture.

With a petrol turbocharger, hard acceleration results in extremely high cylinder pressures. In response, the fuel system shoots in plenty of extra fuel - and there go your fuel savings.

Diesel engines operate at a higher compression ratio, requiring less fuel per volume of compressed air. This causes the sensitivity of increase in fuel volume requirement under higher leads to be relatively lower. Although the turbo diesel does need more fuel at high load/speed, the relative increase is not as much.

Avoiding fuel consumption spikes in a turbocharged car calls for common-sense techniques. The key is to avoid large throttle openings. Accelerate gently, and don't cruise at high speed.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 08:29   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
I have a question to all who are in Delhi/NCR.
Why go for Seltos Diesel right now when the trend seems to be shifting to Petrol's ? Everyone knows about the 10 year issue here, but maybe it does not bother many people?
Well I think this 10 year diesel rule in NCR will not stay for BS-6 diesel cars and would be removed few years later. If we compare emission values of BS6 petrol vs BS6 diesel, they are not that different.
The present 10 year diesel ban ensures no BS3 diesel engine is on road. For BS6 diesel, there is no logical reason to keep BS6 Diesel car banned.
SahilS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 08:54   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonsharim View Post
Can you help me understand this better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Driven carefully, petrol turbocharged engines do offer efficiency gains. But that efficiency can quickly disappear if you drive it hard. Although the turbo diesel does need more fuel at high load/speed, the relative increase is not as much.

Avoiding fuel consumption spikes in a turbocharged car calls for common-sense techniques. The key is to avoid large throttle openings. Accelerate gently, and don't cruise at high speed.
, thank you for explaining it so much better than what I could have attempted to do. Just to add to that, the TC will not give you any additional output if you mindlessly floor it and therefore doesn't encourage that behaviour, whereas, the DCT will encourage and then punish you for it!

I hope you understand, why I say on a daily basis, you will enjoy the D-TC, and only for those highway high-speed manoeuvres a DCT would be more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
I am a perfect use case for this scenario as I live in Delhi and drive 70 kms a day. I have a diesel vehicle driven 84k kms in 5 years however given the fact that kia petrol will not be as fuel efficient as a Honda or a maruti, along with the fact that the 1.4 petrol and Diesel are priced equally make it a strong case for diesel complemented by the DCT gearbox issues
I completely agree, as I said the no price difference between the TGDI and the TCRDI here makes the diesel a great buy if you have the need for it.

This also opens a very interesting topic, as we are now seeing a great influx of turbo petrols (RS in Maruti, Ecoboost in Ford, TGDi in Kia/Hyundai)which are inherently more expensive than the NA, which brings them awfully close to the Diesel, which changes the pricing/economy dynamics completely again, in favour of Diesel for people with decent mileage requirements.

Last edited by AGwagon : 26th September 2019 at 08:58.
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 09:34   #2965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Driven carefully, petrol turbocharged engines do offer efficiency gains.
The key is to avoid large throttle openings. Accelerate gently, and don't cruise at high speed.
That is all good but doesn't it beat the purpose of buying a turbo charged petrol motor? You are paying a premium for that engine and then not enjoying it.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 09:45   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Well I think this 10 year diesel rule in NCR will not stay for BS-6 diesel cars and would be removed few years later. If we compare emission values of BS6 petrol vs BS6 diesel, they are not that different.
The present 10 year diesel ban ensures no BS3 diesel engine is on road. For BS6 diesel, there is no logical reason to keep BS6 Diesel car banned.
I doubt any political party in India has the muscle to roll back a policy which is said to be “ protecting the environment” at a time when their is so much hue and cry globally about climate change and 16 year olds are turning into environment activists.

I have a feeling that this 10/15 year rule is here to stay and might be extended to rest of India in near future as well especially the Tier 1 cities. Consequently buying a diesel car doesn’t make sense in NCR(in any metro city infact). Your Diesel car will hold a scrap value after 10 years. Howsoever high your running may be the cost saving will not be equal to the difference of car acquisition cost and the residual scrap value.Diesel engine will find application only for a commercial vehicle hauling goods or tourist intracity.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 10:12   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
I doubt any political party in India has the muscle to roll back a policy which is said to be “ protecting the environment” at a time when their is so much hue and cry globally about climate change and 16 year olds are turning into environment activists.

I have a feeling that this 10/15 year rule is here to stay and might be extended to rest of India in near future as well especially the Tier 1 cities. Consequently buying a diesel car doesn’t make sense in NCR(in any metro city infact). Your Diesel car will hold a scrap value after 10 years. Howsoever high your running may be the cost saving will not be equal to the difference of car acquisition cost and the residual scrap value.Diesel engine will find application only for a commercial vehicle hauling goods or tourist intracity.
Buddy, you might be right about a Political Party not having the will power to reverse the 10/15 rule, but you never know with the right lobbying it may still happen.

Regardless of that however, there is no way can this rule be extended to include the rest of India, it is just not practical to take so many cars off road at once, however they would keep bringing in new rules and norms which will support lower emission vehicles and penalise others.

On a remote chance, if it were to happen, it will not affect the BS6 cars, so wrt Seltos it would not make a difference.
Old 26th September 2019, 14:07   #2968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Consequently buying a diesel car doesn’t make sense in NCR(in any metro city infact). Your Diesel car will hold a scrap value after 10 years. Howsoever high your running may be the cost saving will not be equal to the difference of car acquisition cost and the residual scrap value.
Well that is true in most scenarios today but for Seltos it might be different as there is no cost difference in the buying price of either variant. In most other cases the diesel costs nearly 1-2L more than its petrol counterpart. As a result, the money saved in fuel compensates for the increased initial buying cost in nearly 4-5 years depending on a 1000 km monthly run. In case of Seltos you start saving from day 1.

The resale is bad due to the NGT rule but not necessarily crap. The petrol variant doesn't necessarily fetch you much more either, rather their resale was always bad.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 14:41   #2969
ADB
BHPian

I finally test drove the DCT with ample time at hand as there was no one else in queue. It’s really fun to drive and I’m completely sold on this engine and transmission combination.

I do have a question though for all that have already got the car delivered or anyone who knows the ins and outs of the car. This question is variant agnostic.

I know, due to government regulations, there is a warning sign on the MID and a sound when you touch 80 kmph and then again at 120 kmph. While the former goes away after a few seconds and beeps, at 120 kmph, the beeping was persistent till I slowed down below 120. This, on highways, will be very annoying needless to say. Is there any way to turn it off or have it just beep a couple of times instead of the persistent and constant beeping? I would be so happy if there was one. Please pitch in, whoever knows the answer / solution.
ADB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 14:47   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well that is true in most scenarios today but for Seltos it might be different as there is no cost difference in the buying price of either variant. In most other cases the diesel costs nearly 1-2L more than its petrol counterpart. As a result, the money saved in fuel compensates for the increased initial buying cost in nearly 4-5 years depending on a 1000 km monthly run. In case of Seltos you start saving from day 1.

The resale is bad due to the NGT rule but not necessarily crap. The petrol variant doesn't necessarily fetch you much more either, rather their resale was always bad.
Except for the HTX variant I believe the price difference is greater than 1L for the Seltos, but yes there isn't much difference. I did a breakeven analysis for Kia Seltos HTK+ diesel and petrol assuming a daily run of 1000Kms and a yearly maintenance of 7K for petrol and 9K for diesel. Also I have taken the OTR price and fuel cost at Trivandrum. So with a monthly run of 1000Kms, it will take a lot more than 4-5 years. But please note that I still bought a diesel variant for various reasons already mentioned in the thread.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-breakevenpord.png
Reference: https://aravindavk.in/diesel-vs-petrol-car/
binoyyj is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks