Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 15:10   #2971
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
Except for the HTX variant I believe the price difference is greater than 1L for the Seltos, but yes there isn't much difference.
My bad. My point of reference was the range topping GTX+ DCT/TC variant. They are both priced identical.
Old 26th September 2019, 16:19   #2972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
I doubt any political party in India has the muscle to roll back a policy which is said to be “ protecting the environment” at a time when their is so much hue and cry globally about climate change and 16 year olds are turning into environment activists.
But the thing is, this 10 year rule is not because of any political party. It has been enforced by NGT. and court should work on data/proof.
BS6 petrol/diesel engine emission limit:
CO - 1000(petrol), 500(diesel) mg/ km
HC - 100(petrol), 170(diesel) mg/km
NOx- 60(petrol), 80(diesel) mg/km
PM - 4.5(petrol), 4.5(diesel) mg/km
Courtesy: AutoCar
This data clearly says that BS6 diesel engines are almost similar to petrol ones.

BS3 diesel engines were biggest culprits. Even BS-4 are much better than BS3. for PM emissions, BS6 diesel engines have reduced the emission by 82% (25 to 4.5 mg/km)
SahilS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 16:37   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB View Post

I know, due to government regulations, there is a warning sign on the MID and a sound when you touch 80 kmph and then again at 120 kmph. While the former goes away after a few seconds and beeps, at 120 kmph, the beeping was persistent till I slowed down below 120. This, on highways, will be very annoying needless to say. Is there any way to turn it off or have it just beep a couple of times instead of the persistent and constant beeping? I would be so happy if there was one. Please pitch in, whoever knows the answer / solution.
The whole point of this feature is that the annoying sound would deter people from speeding on our roads, so having the ability to turn it off would be counter-productive.
Old 26th September 2019, 19:22   #2974
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG_F196 View Post
The whole point of this feature is that the annoying sound would deter people from speeding on our roads, so having the ability to turn it off would be counter-productive.
True. I agree. I just wish there was a way to have it beep a couple of times and stop and not have it beep incessantly. Anyhow, it is what it is.
Old 26th September 2019, 19:35   #2975
BHPian

If I am forced to buy a seltos diesel it would be the HTX plus manual. The TC gear box is a pain for people like me who are used to manuals for a long time. I would rather have my left foot exercise than that horrible TC gearbox. It might be smooth when you caress it but when you are in a hurry it fails big time.
Old 26th September 2019, 19:54   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
So with a monthly run of 1000Kms, it will take a lot more than 4-5 years. But please note that I still bought a diesel variant for various reasons already mentioned in the thread.
If you consider the real world figures, a petrol would actually give around 60% of the claims but the diesel can give you a 80% of the official claim.

Especially, because its a Hyundai-Kia petrol, don't expect a fuel efficiency more than 12kmpl.

If we take 12kmpl as the fuel efficiency of the petrol and around 18kmpl as the diesel fuel efficiency, with a 1000km run monthly, a diesel becomes cheaper from the 4th year itself.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 20:15   #2977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
If you consider the real world figures, a petrol would actually give around 60% of the claims but the diesel can give you a 80% of the official claim.

Especially, because its a Hyundai-Kia petrol, don't expect a fuel efficiency more than 12kmpl.

If we take 12kmpl as the fuel efficiency of the petrol and around 18kmpl as the diesel fuel efficiency, with a 1000km run monthly, a diesel becomes cheaper from the 4th year itself.
Believe me, selling a car that you one has loved and cared for after 10 years pains a lot. Taking NGT rule into consideration, diesel cost should be multiplied by 1.5x to arrive at actual cost.
aarvee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 22:33   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
True. I agree. I just wish there was a way to have it beep a couple of times and stop and not have it beep incessantly. Anyhow, it is what it is.
Witnessed it during my TD. It goes out after 60-90 seconds.
Old 26th September 2019, 22:50   #2979

People going for loans, do consider Canara bank as it's offering 8.75% reducing rate of interest for 5 years as compared to 8.9% reducing for 5 years by SBI. And both are financing 90% of the OTR.
seasoned_rubber is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 23:06   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I would rather have my left foot exercise than that horrible TC gearbox. It might be smooth when you caress it but when you are in a hurry it fails big time.
You can simply push the liver to the manual mode and it is as good as a real manual gear. I agree it doesn't give you the same feeling as the 'muscle memory' of slotting the gears is lost. But it is as effective as a manual in real 'hurry' situations
Old 26th September 2019, 23:38   #2981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasoned_rubber View Post
People going for loans, do consider Canara bank as it's offering 8.75% reducing rate of interest for 5 years as compared to 8.9% reducing for 5 years by SBI. And both are financing 90% of the OTR.
Have the bank rates gone up? I thought, seeing the state of the economy, the rates would be going down. My loan for the S Cross was with Kotak Mahindra bank at 8.45%, finalized in July 2019.
Old 27th September 2019, 08:01   #2982
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasoned_rubber View Post
I checked both. Only issue is that Canara has a small condition - they will finance a maximum of 10 lacs. So if you’re going for a higher variant and need more than 10, Canara wouldn’t work.
Old 27th September 2019, 12:20   #2983
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
I checked both. Only issue is that Canara has a small condition - they will finance a maximum of 10 lacs. So if you’re going for a higher variant and need more than 10, Canara wouldn’t work.

EDIT: I was wrong here. Kia showroom guys were not telling me the correct facts and were pushing for SBI for some reason stating Canara has it capped at 10 lacs. SBI was also charging me 9% instead of 8.9% instead of a 800+ CIBIL score. I approached Canara bank directly this morning and they approved the loan within an hour at 8.75% floating . Luckily I hadn’t signed the SBI papers yet.
ADB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 12:48   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post

If you are talking strictly about the mileage, then I tend to agree with the rough calculation that you have done. But owning a car is more than just about mileage. Its about features, usage, costs and reliability as well.

Diesel cars are typically cheap to drive. But expensive to maintain. Petrol cars are expensive to drive. But cheap to maintain.

I doubt anybody driving 1000kms a month would opt for Diesel strictly because the costs/km ratio would be just too high. And costs here include maintanence cost as well.

My dad taught me a simple logic to decide if you need a petrol car or diesel car. This was way back in 2005 when petrol was about 50 rupees a liter. If your daily commute (in kms) is more than the per liter cost of the petrol, then you are better off using a diesel.

If you work 20 days a month, then 1000kms (in 2005) or 1500kms (today) is the threshold.
VaidhiR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 13:44   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
I doubt anybody driving 1000kms a month would opt for Diesel strictly because the costs/km ratio would be just too high. And costs here include maintanence cost as well.
I don't think diesel is too expensive to maintain

I have a beater car, a Ritz Diesel that does around 300kms a month inside the city. We will fill diesel once a month , and the average maintenance cost last 3 years was Rs.3000 per year, and still continues to run fine. I am still saving Rs.7000 yearly and when I had thought of selling the car last month, I was offered 55% of the original value of the car only because its a diesel, 8 years and 68000kms later, which I find acceptable.

And the difference here in the case Seltos will be even more, as its cousin the Creta Petrol, has really poor fuel efficiency, barely crossing double digits most of the time, even the diesel isn't as fuel efficient as the competition, but still its more acceptable. Also, if we consider Hyundai maintenance costs, the difference is negligible. The only major difference is the cost of the Diesel Fuel Filter, which costs around Rs.1100 every year.

So, in India, as Hybrids and Electrics are not available, Diesel does make sense atleast in Semi-urban and Rural areas, especially for SUVs and large Sedans. The NGT rule of post 10 years ban cannot be applied pan India, as it will cripple the rural economy.
As small diesels are disappearing, the demand for small used diesel cars have already increased, further increasing their resale value.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks