Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 14:08   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

KIA Seltos - The Company’s New Small SUV For Global Markets.

Engines:

Quote:
Depending on the market, the Seltos will be offered with a choice of two petrol engines. This includes a 1.6-liter turbo rated at 177 PS (175 hp / 130 kW) and 2.0-liter naturally aspirated option that delivers 149 PS (147 hp / 110 kW). There is also a 136 PS (134 hp / 100 kW) 1.6-liter diesel.
The power units can be linked to three transmission options, consisting of six- and seven-speed autos and a CVT.
- For Australia the car will be available will get a 110kW 2.0-litre naturally-aspirated petrol engine running the Atkinson cycle (used in overseas versions of the Cerato) paired with a CVT automatic driving the front wheels.

- The other option for Australian buyers will be a 130kW 1.6-litre T-GDi turbocharged petrol mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic and all-wheel drive.

- Each powertrain offers three driving modes – Normal, Eco, and Sport – each tailoring the throttle response and steering accordingly to suit driver tastes.

- Sales of the all-new Kia Seltos are scheduled to commence in Australia before the end of the year, with local versions to be produced at the company’s plant in Gwangju, South Korea.

- A range of alloy wheel designs and sizes will be available, ranging from 16 inches to 18 inches in diameter. Tyre sizes include 205/60 R16, 215/55 R17, and 235/45 R18.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-5.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-2.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-3.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-4.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-7.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-9.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-8.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-10.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th June 2019 at 14:10.
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 14:12   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramansh View Post
I believe it will be positioned in the compass territory rather than the creta territory.
No, it wouldn't be in the compass category. Compass top end is close to 24 lacs ex-showroom. The top end variant should cost 18 lacs. There is a reason for that because this SUV won't be coming with an AWD or 4x4 system. Max power figures would be in the range of 140ps max. Kia would, however, charge 2 lacs premium over Hyundai Creta.

An important note, however, is that because the engines are BS-VI complaint there could be an extra 50000 premium as well making it close to 18.5 to 19 lacs max.
sunilsoft is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 14:37   #288
BHPian

Could anyone please help to describe the unique features of different options offered in Seltos:
1) Seven speed dual clutch transmission (7DCT),
2) Six-speed automatic transmission (6AT)
3) continuously variable transmission (CVT)

I am looking forward to replace my 2011 W6 XUV500 and if priced right, it could be one of the options.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st June 2019 at 07:57. Reason: Typo
Old 20th June 2019, 15:02   #289
BHPian

The Seltos looks awesome. I hope the various options are available in India and not just a generic overview of what the world gets.

Really curious to see how this is priced. The dynamic between Hyundai and Kia will be interesting. Unlike Skoda which is a wholly owned sub of VW, Kia is majority owned and not wholly owned by Hyundai as far I know. So I wonder if there is absolute control.

Last edited by Caramba : 20th June 2019 at 15:03. Reason: typos
Caramba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 15:21   #290
BHPian

Watched the live webcast and the product looks definitely promising. As many members pointed out, pricing will be key. Hope they don't price it too far away from Creta.
While taking about the pricing, the sales and marketing head used the term "Value for 'premium'" during the presentation which hints at reasonable pricing I guess.

They also mentioned about focus on giving good overall brand experience including service. If they could at-least provide Hyundai level of after sales experience, I think Seltos would be a hit. Only concern is regarding the brand perception. When I talked to many NRI friends/family, they were not very keen on the Kia brand.

Good to hear about the GT/Sports versions. Hope more manufacturers take the same route. Sportier versions of normal cars for enthusiasts (Big thumbs up!)

Also 3 different types of automatics on offer (CVT,TC & DCT). Wow. The market is definitely shifting towards automatics.
daniel_sam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 15:48   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Seltos India launch in end-August.

Quote:
The Kia Seltos will be available in India with three engine options – a 1.5-litre petrol offered with a 6-speed manual and CVT auto, a 1.5-litre diesel offered with a 6-speed manual and 6-speed torque converter auto and a 1.4-litre direct-injection turbo-petrol that will come with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic.
The last of the engine options will be exclusive to the Seltos GT Line, which will feature sporty detailing both inside and outside.

Quote:
Kia Seltos prices will only be revealed at launch though insiders have unofficially confirmed pricing will range from Rs 11-17 lakh (estimated, ex-showroom).

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th June 2019 at 15:55.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 16:38   #292
Senior - BHPian

Going OT: In a market that's almost 20% down on numbers YoY, look at the amount of new car launches happening, I really can't keep track of the new car's launched in the last few months. I think most of us would fail in the quiz of the new car launches in the past few months. The automakers are really up beat whereas the dealers are shutting down . Venue looks like it happened last year after the launches of Hector and Triber and now we have the Seltos the first offering from Kia in India. It's raining cars: only wish Chennai has good rains: we're dying of thirst!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 20th June 2019 at 17:06.
Durango Dude is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:07   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Going OT: In a market that's almost 20% down on numbers YoY, look at the amount of new car launches happening, I really can't keep track of the new car's launched in the last few months.
I was wondering the same thing. You've got the failing market on one side and all these new car launches on the other. It's like loading more cargo onto a sinking ship. Let's hope that these new companies like MG and Kia can safely steer their boats out before the high tide sends them crashing down with the lot. In the present market, it seems that only Maruti Suzuki & Hyundai have sufficient lifeboats and life jackets.

Another thing that came across my mind - With so many new car launches at such short intervals, the pressure on Team-BHP mods to publish reviews must be at an all-time high. Patience is bitter, friends, but it's fruit is sweet.

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 20th June 2019 at 17:08.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:27   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy73US View Post
Could anyone please help to describe the unique features of different options offered in Seltos:
1) Seven speed dual clutch transmission (7DCT),
2) Six-speed automatic transmission (6AT)
3) continuously variable transmission (CVT)

I am looking forward to replace my 2011 W6 XUV500 and if priced right, it could be one of the option.
1) DCT - Dual Clutch transmission, which is similar to the DSGs found on Skoda/VW cars. This type of transmissions are super fast in shifting (no lag in between) and there is no loss of power. They are also bit complex and are known to be unreliable and expensive to repair.
2) AT - Traditional automatic transmission which involves Torque Converters. They are reasonably smooth but typically there will be little lag before they shift. They also known to sap some power resulting in somewhat lower FE
3) CVT - Continuously variable transmission which has infinite gear ratios instead of fixed ratios. They are known to be fuel efficient but not very fun to drive because of the 'rubber band' effect (in which the raise in engine speed doesn't always result in corresponding acceleration)

7DCT would be the 'sportier' choice and it will also comes with the turbocharged petrol.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st June 2019 at 07:58. Reason: Typo
Guna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:29   #295
BANNED

Kia has got a winner in Seltos! Bit loud and too many details though. But look at the will to give 3 different automatic options and that too top end versions. Hyundai should learn a thing and two from the sibling!

Anyone has experience with Kia, how's the handling of their cars? The lifeless steering of Hyundai's are one reason that I have never went that side, though Venue is different.
The new players are good for the customers and economy, hope Kia succeeds where the Americans , Italians, French and Germans have failed. Hengunul-beegeyo Kia!
The Rationalist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:38   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_sam View Post

They also mentioned about focus on giving good overall brand experience including service. If they could at-least provide Hyundai level of after sales experience, I think Seltos would be a hit. Only concern is regarding the brand perception. When I talked to many NRI friends/family, they were not very keen on the Kia brand.
Perhaps your NRI friends are right. Especially in the US they say that “ Every Hyundai is available a lot cheaper as a Kia”. With this i wonder how has everybody here already started believing that Seltos will be available at a premium to Creta. I doubt Kia will be able to pull up the premium price card that easily considering how aware Indian audiences are of the international auto scene.

No doubt the product looks good, but if you look closely
1. The front is too much bling. Kind of overdone with those extended DRL strips and the vertical ice cube type fog lamps and a tiger nose which looks swollen.

2. On the sides apart from the sweeping quarter glass i will say the Creta looks smarter.

3. Rear again is too fancy for my liking. The silver/chrome on the bumper and that faux dual exhaust look. And the tail lamps are nothing to write home about either, TML did a better job on tail lamps with the harrier.

4. Interiors, cant say much at this stage.

A design like Seltos start looking old quiet quick, the understated ones stay fresh for longer; see how fine that old Polo looks in 2019. I believe Harrier’s design is much more evolved and pleasing than that of the Seltos. Interesting times for us car lovers though.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:41   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Perhaps your NRI friends are right. Especially in the US they say that “ Every Hyundai is available a lot cheaper as a Kia”. With this i wonder how has everybody here already started believing that Seltos will be available at a premium to Creta. I doubt Kia will be able to pull up the premium price card that easily considering how aware Indian audiences are of the international auto scene.
I was there at the event.

If you park the Creta next to the Seltos, if that is what the market sentiment is, that the Seltos is just a more glamour, more show Creta... Then let me tell you, the Seltos looked smashing. The amount of detailing on the grille alone is going to leave a lasting impression.

More time with the car should give one a better idea. But I am sure they can pull of by selling this over a lakh above the Creta for sure. With the kind of features and quality they have.

The brand team specified that they will go for 'Value For Premium' way, not 'Value For Money'.

Will it sell or not that is a different question. But it will be justified in my opinion. While the Indian customer is very well aware now, he / she is also willing to spend more on any given product for quality and peace of mind.

Last edited by parrys : 20th June 2019 at 17:43.
parrys is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:50   #298
Senior - BHPian

Superimposing the Seltos on the Creta, the cabins are almost the same size, but the Seltos seems to have bigger doors and a longer engine compartment and a much longer wheelbase.

I tried to keep the rear wheel locations the same for both the cars to gauge the dimensions. The Seltos seems to have the Creta well covered

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-55.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 18:08   #299
BHPian

I haven't had a close look at the car, but I am looking forward to hear from those who called Harrier and XUV 300 as "busy" design.

I like the overall shape and stance of the car and feel this will do alright if priced well.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 18:16   #300
Senior - BHPian

The rear looks very BRV to me. KIA is very popular in the Gulf and is reliable. Though it's true that in the US Hyundai sells more. Their Sportage is seeing really strong sales and should have been introduced first. The Bangalore showroom is coming up at JP Nagar near Nandini Hotel/BATA. Looks like they will match MG in suave presentation, Brick by Brick.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks