Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 14:06   #3331
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Happy to inform that my car(Blue HTX Petrol Automatic IVT) has finally been allocated! SA says I should get it in 6 days...and when I told him that I want to do a PDI before paying or registering, he seemed quiet surprised. Hope everything goes well!

Last edited by HK. Oby : 14th October 2019 at 14:22.
HK. Oby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:22   #3332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivaji View Post
When did YOU make the booking? How many months did you have to wait?

Happy to make the acquaintance of another serviceman.

Dear Gp Capt Vidyadhar,

Always wonderful to meet "our" kith and kin! :-). Good to connect up here!

I hung up in 2009, been a while now, but great times have been had through my tenures! Unmissable, and could and would love to take them up again, if ever the possibility arises, doubtful as I consider it myself!

Hope you get the Seltos by the time you head back from Aussie-land! Deputation?

I had pre-booked it about 01st July, but Registered on the first day itself, 16th July! Took delivery on 29th Sep, being the first day of Durga Puja as well, an auspicious day! The car had come in on 20th or so in to Mumbai!

On general issues now-

Drivability of the DCT, in a jiffy, it has been a good car to drive, and now we understand each others quirks better than before! It's quite happy chugging along, eager to say the least, and is up to mark if I do give it a little nudge to speed it up! I do not push a vehicle, and have remained on and about the 1500 - 2000 rpm mark! I will finish the 1000 Kms under these condition itself!

As I read, about putting the car in "NEUTRAL" especially when in a Stop-Go traffic, is just perfect advice, thank you REN (if I haven't got the name right! I must admit I have been doing exactly the same, but a word of advice / caution, as when in Neutral your car may roll depending on the incline, please do activate your handbrake as a corollary action! Also, please do not creep your DCT, wait for the front to open up a bit before you press on the horses!!

And again, FE has been hovering on the +++/- 10 KMPL, which is perfect for the conditions I am driving in, in my opinion!!

Those who have small children / young adults / short stature people sitting in the rear seat - please try out the Seat belts properly, as the seat belt goes too close the throat / cuts across the neck (nearly) as checked with my family sitting there - and that is not quite good in case of emergency braking I consider!! I have just ordered the cushioned neckbands for the rear seat belts, as my kids sit on the rear bench! Amazingly, for me, at just under 5' 8" it is just fine!

About Driving Modes - I have been clearly informed, by the Tech gentleman at KIA Thane, that ECO mode is only for highway drives, as it align the engine / electronics, etc, for that kind of driving! Any other mode, ie, NORMAL - is to be used for day-to-day driving only! I was also clearly informed, that if in city I engage ECO mode, the FE will suffer as also the engine / transmission temperature. The driver, who got a High Temp warning - observe, his car is in ECO mode in stop-go traffic - which in itself was the wrong drive mode - SO WHY BLAME THE CAR!! Learn the right ways to drive a car please!! If not known, please do ask around!!

About the Bonnet-line LED strip on GTX / GTX+(sorry cannot comment on HT series, as I have not observed them!)..... whenever you switch on your headlights, those, too, come on and stay lit!!

Do enjoy your Seltos, please drive responsibly!

Regards,

Commander Soumya Dutta.

Last edited by cdrsd : 14th October 2019 at 14:31.
cdrsd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:25   #3333
BHPian

Got information from dealer that it will take another 3 more months for GTX+ DAT deliveries to begin. Is anyone hearing similar timelines for delivery? I was ideally looking for a delivery by early/mid November, but now i guess thats out of the window. Planning to cancel the booking, but again, no good option in diesel auto within 20 Lakhs budget. Left confused now.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:30   #3334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
no good option in diesel auto within 20 Lakhs budget. Left confused now.
The Creta & Hexa both are available in very good diesel automatic setups. Around your budget allocation with current discounts etc. Little here and there. Considering the wait mentioned for Seltos DAT GTX+, the Harrier AT will also be around the corner. That might well be a worthy wait too. Next option for you is the Tucson. But thats a CKD and in-life maintenance may be costlier owing to import spares being costlier. Good car though! Nice offers going on. You might get surprising OTR quotes.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:38   #3335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The Creta & Hexa both are available in very good diesel automatic setups. Around your budget allocation with current discounts etc. Little here and there. Considering the wait mentioned for Seltos DAT GTX+, the Harrier AT will also be around the corner. That might well be a worthy wait too. Next option for you is the Tucson. But thats a CKD and in-life maintenance may be costlier owing to import spares being costlier. Good car though! Nice offers going on. You might get surprising OTR quotes.
Tucson is out of window as the old model doesn't tick any of the boxes compared to seltos. Didn't consider Hexa due to sheer size and lack of parking space. I am thinking of going a segment down to Nexon XZA+, if we know definitive timeline for the launch of facelift. Creta was never in consideration from beginning due to lack of driving dynamics or kit at that pricepoint.
v6kgang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:46   #3336

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK. Oby View Post
Hi, has anyone even taken delivery of the HTX IVT(Petrol Automatic) model, yet?
Seeing the bevy of posts talking about good mileage with DCT, I'm now hopeful that there is even more of a surprise in the case of the IVT.

I am getting mine (HTX IVT) this Sunday (hopefully). Dealer says its in transit at the moment.

But there is one that comes in my office parking. I spoke to the gentlemen and asked about his experience. He seemed to be very satisfied. He said that he is observing mileage of around 15KMPL as per MID. He drives to Gurgaon from Delhi (Kalkaji). Those who are not from Delhi NCR region he drives through the most traffic that delhi gurgaon sees. I found this unbelievable as petrol vehicle of this size giving such fuel economy. Even if MID is showing extra mileage then also one can expect at least 11-12 KMPL in peak city traffic.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th October 2019 at 14:52.
guessme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:07   #3337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guessme View Post
I am getting mine (HTX IVT) this Sunday (hopefully). Dealer says its in transit at the moment.

But there is one that comes in my office parking. I spoke to the gentlemen and asked about his experience. He seemed to be very satisfied. He said that he is observing mileage of around 15KMPL as per MID. He drives to Gurgaon from Delhi (Kalkaji). Those who are not from Delhi NCR region he drives through the most traffic that delhi gurgaon sees. I found this unbelievable as petrol vehicle of this size giving such fuel economy. Even if MID is showing extra mileage then also one can expect at least 11-12 KMPL in peak city traffic.
That's great to hear, and it's also inline with everything we have been hearing in the forum and elsewhere about the mileage of the DCT. Mileage of the IVT was always going to be about 30 percent more(according to the SA), even though the ARAI figures say otherwise. Am also getting mine around this Sunday, so can't wait to find out for myself what the truth is!
Old 14th October 2019, 15:10   #3338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsd View Post
About Driving Modes - I have been clearly informed, by the Tech gentleman at KIA Thane, that ECO mode is only for highway drives, as it align the engine / electronics, etc, for that kind of driving! Any other mode, ie, NORMAL - is to be used for day-to-day driving only! I was also clearly informed, that if in city I engage ECO mode, the FE will suffer as also the engine / transmission temperature. The driver, who got a High Temp warning - observe, his car is in ECO mode in stop-go traffic - which in itself was the wrong drive mode - SO WHY BLAME THE CAR!! Learn the right ways to drive a car please!! If not known, please do ask around!!
Has this been printed in the manual? If the ECO mode is to be used only on highways, either they call it out clearly or rename it as 'highway mode'.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:15   #3339
REN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
If it's so crucial to shift to 'N' while in stop go traffic and not to hold onto brakes in 'D', why it isn't mentioned in the car manual? Neither dealer sales person advices to do so?
An automatically shifting manual transmission is essentially what DSGs/DCTs are. The Seltos owner's manual states that "the wheels and transmission are not engaged" in 'N'. DCTs by nature are prone to overheating and shifting to 'N' during traffic signals and other complete halt situations in traffic goes a long way in reducing the stress on the transmission.

I also for a fact know that most of VAG DSG owners on the forum follow the same practice. And a lot of them even put their vehicles in manual/tiptronic mode in bumper to bumper situations to prevent the transmission from overheating.

It indeed is quite inconvenient at first, but it quickly becomes second nature and I have learnt to see it as a minor trade-off for the performance DSG/DCT offers.

Quote:
I have been clearly informed, by the Tech gentleman at KIA Thane, that ECO mode is only for highway drives, as it align the engine / electronics, etc, for that kind of driving! Any other mode, ie, NORMAL - is to be used for day-to-day driving only! I was also clearly informed, that if in city I engage ECO mode, the FE will suffer as also the engine / transmission temperature. The driver, who got a High Temp warning - observe, his car is in ECO mode in stop-go traffic - which in itself was the wrong drive mode - SO WHY BLAME THE CAR! Learn the right ways to drive a car please!! If not known, please do ask around!
Thanks for pointing this out, Commander. My cousin who took delivery of his GTX+DCT last week was also advised to use 'Normal' mode for city driving by the people at KIA dealership. The economy definitely suffers in ECO mode within the city.
REN is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:19   #3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Has this been printed in the manual? If the ECO mode is to be used only on highways, either they call it out clearly or rename it as 'highway mode'.
Hi Guna,

I am NOT a "read thy Manual" kind of guy! I speak, imbibe, learn from others and drive the way it is - and I have shared what has been informed to me by a KIA staff, and I have shared it likewise!

In my bumper-to-bumper traffic that I face in South Mumbai, the NORMAL mode has not gone beyond the 8-9 marker even after 30-40 mins of such driving, thus I have every reason to believe what has been informed to me is right! I, for one, do not intend to change that either!

You may possibly take it up with KIA MOTORS for further clarifications, as at this juncture, I am unable to assist!!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REN View Post
An automatically shifting manual transmission is essentially what DSGs/DCTs are.
You are absolutely right, REN!

The other name the DCT / DSG goes by is "MANU-MATIC" - Manual Automatic Transmission!!

Cheers!

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th October 2019 at 16:03.
cdrsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:39   #3341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You may possibly take it up with KIA MOTORS for further clarifications, as at this juncture, I am unable to assist!!
At this point, I am not very keen to know whether the point has been printed or not on Seltos manual. I was making a general comment on how manufacturers should document and communicate such important things about their car and not just rely on the SAs to communicate them to customers.
Old 14th October 2019, 15:54   #3342
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Gp Capt Vidyadhar,

On general issues now-
Dear Commander Dutta,

Thank you for your valued feedback on the GTX+ DCT. Much appreciated. Good the get this information first hand from an experienced driver.

On a separate note, I was a fighter pilot in the air force. Left in '87 to become an airline Captain in India for 4 years. Then went to Singapore, employed as a flying instructor for 7 years. When they let me go in '97 I got a similar job (flying instructor) in Australia with BAE Systems. Finally hung up my flying boots in 2012 at age 70. Now returning to Chennai, my home town. Planning to spend half the time there and half in Australia. I am from 22nd NDA course.

We'll keep in touch. With best regards,

Vidyadhar

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th October 2019 at 16:04. Reason: broken quote box fixed
Shivaji is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:58   #3343
BHPian

Just confirmed the booking last week for gtx+ dct after breaking head on DCT vs TC for few weeks. Wife said no diesel this time and solved the conundrum

Now all this debate on overheating DCTs is making me nervous again.
Old 14th October 2019, 16:12   #3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
At this point, I am not very keen to know whether the point has been printed or not on Seltos manual. I was making a general comment on how manufacturers should document and communicate such important things about their car and not just rely on the SAs to communicate them to customers.
Well, I will give you my take, and how I go about it.... We have something known as OJT - On the Job Training - which is basically you get all information as you may be able gather, through all means possible, before being set out in to the woods - for here - driving!

So, I spent few hour of two days at the Showroom, just sitting in the car acclimatizing, and asking questions from different SAs, clearing my doubts, cross-checking few things I didn't agree to or know, and only then did I get down to a test drive!

And yes, I do agree with you, that a mention of this in the Manual is worth its weight, undoubtedly!!
cdrsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 16:14   #3345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Look what I found on Facebook. I don't know where the car impact actually went. The information regarding as to how this accident took place is yet a mystery. If anyone knows - please do share
Great that nobody was hurt. Always great.

Although - pictures are screaming it wasn't a 120kmph crash. Whoever wrote that, doesn't know what a 120kmph crash is like.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks