Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 21:57   #3361
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

My observations and 2 cents on the DCT topic:

Regarding the transmission over temp on the DCT Seltos that originated from the Facebook page - It was driver error when it comes to DCT specifically, but a regular driving pattern when in B2B traffic condition. Feathering the brake pedal is the only way to crawl and stop, crawl and stop.. in B2B traffic in any automatic transmission (AMT, CVT, TQ, DCT, DSG, etc.).

So what the driver did was actually not wrong in the normal scenario, but wrong in the DCT scenario; which ultimately puts light on this dry type DCT's shortcomings.

Whenever the brake pedal is firmly pressed in the AMT or the DCT/DSG transmissions, the clutch is fully disengaged. There is absolutely no need to put it in N or P at any time.

The only time the clutch starts to engage is when you slowly lift your foot from the brake pedal; and is fully engaged when the foot on the brake pedal is completely lifted off.

Hence, if anyone wants to buy a DCT/has a DCT: no crawling whilst foot on the brake pedal (similar to clutch riding in M/T cars)

Either the foot fully depressed into the floor or fully lifted off should be the way to go as much as possible
rutwij is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 22:12   #3362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutwij View Post
Whenever the brake pedal is firmly pressed in the AMT or the DCT/DSG transmissions, the clutch is fully disengaged. There is absolutely no need to put it in N or P at any time.
That may not be entirely correct. In case of AMT for example, its actual behaviour is identical to a manual transmission with user with same style as AMT tuning. Even if the clutch is fully disengaged, it has added stress on the clutch mechanism to be in that state. Even in a manual car, it is recomended to shift to neutral when stationary.

Also, remember that in the digital world we are naturally built analog. That gives us very high precision. A good driver can gauge, modulate and caliberate the clutch bite point very precisely and cause minical clutch slip. An AMT is a software controlled digital actuator. It has to be prepared in anticipation and my experience is that it does NOT fully disengage. I feel there is a very tiny tug on the brakes which vanishes when shifted to neutral. So I suspect AMT does slip the clutch a wee bit unless shifted to N. (I think the clutch fully disengages when the handbrake is engaged though. Not the normal brake.) I think thats why the manuals expressly direct shifting to N when stationary.

I may be wrong, but this has been my experience with AMT. Theoretically, it will be similar for DSG.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 22:34   #3363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
My Kia Seltos 1.4 Turbo Petrol GTX+ DCT, Delivery Experience Video;
The waiting went into the month of September and people who had booked the car (like me) on day 1 looked like fools not getting their cars where as random people who accepted low, middle variants rolling in their Seltos' from Day 1, was really frustrating.
Karan, Congratulations, wish you many miles with smiles in your brand new car. didn't understand the quoted statement, how could these random people who accepted low, middle variants responsible for delay of your variant which led to your frustration?
Don Dasco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 22:45   #3364

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamera13 View Post
How did you register the car i.e. got a number even before taking delivery of the car. Don't we need Engine number etc for registration?
Hi Panamera,

Registration for Booking a Seltos which opened on 16th July, if I am explicit in my explanation now! :-)

Had nothing to do vehicle registration / RTO!

Cheers!

Talking of DCT / DSG / AMT

Quote- Whenever the brake pedal is firmly pressed in the AMT or the DCT/DSG transmissions, the clutch is fully disengaged. There is absolutely no need to put it in N or P at any time.

The only time the clutch starts to engage is when you slowly lift your foot from the brake pedal; and is fully engaged when the foot on the brake pedal is completely lifted off. Unquote.

This statement above is NOT quite correct, Sir!

So if you do read through available technical literature available, the automated cars engines are never unloaded when in "D", and the clutch remains connected to the transmission even when brake is applied, its that the pressure that gets regulated, thus slowing down / holding the vehicle! The only time transmission does get unladen is in N / P, but then again in P, the transmissions locks, etc, etc, come into play!

It may be a rather crude way of explaining, but for the moment this is the best that I can!

Cheers!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th October 2019 at 06:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your first post and add content if re-posting within 30 mins. Thanks.
cdrsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 23:21   #3365
BANNED

Quote:
The waiting went into the month of September and people who had booked the car (like me) on day 1 looked like fools not getting their cars whereas random people who accepted low, middle variants rolling in their Seltos' from Day 1, was really frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dasco View Post
Karan, Congratulations, wish you many miles with smiles in your brand new car. didn't understand the quoted statement, how could these random people who accepted low, middle variants responsible for the delay of your variant which led to your frustration?
What Karan wanted to say I think was - 'Kia/their dealers not following FIFO policy (First booked, first delivered).' Kia should have honoured the customers who booked the car on Day 1 and delivered the said cars on priority as compared to customers who walked in at a later date and decided to go for the lower variants whereby getting faster deliveries than the ones waiting in-line from days together. Karan is not blaming the walk-in customers but the dealership/Kia.

In any ownership be it 2 or 4 wheels, 'waiting period' is the worst of all. Days that's are between booking and delivery are the worst so getting frustrated is natural IMO.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th October 2019 at 23:23.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 02:45   #3366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hey Karan heartiest congratulations on getting your Seltos. Thoroughly enjoyed your video review as always. One thing I want to ask you is that your car doesn't seem to be sporting the HSRP. Isn't it compulsory? Or it is not yet implemented as it should be? Here in Pune too I see a lot of newly purchased cars without an HSRP. Please clear my doubts.
Thanks Ram,

My HSRP arrived late, will install them later as i have currently made some other arrangement (will share pic later).

Yes, they have become really strict with the HSRP these days, irrespective of the region.

Quote:
Karan, Congratulations, wish you many miles with smiles in your brand new car. didn't understand the quoted statement, how could these random people who accepted low, middle variants responsible for delay of your variant which led to your frustration?
Don,

This statement was made for Kia India who did not really plan the production of top models irrespective of order/variant confirmation in early August with the dealerships. Kia India mostly produced lower, mid variants and some top spec manuals (but no automatics) & 'dumped' them at dealerships (feel free to cross check at your near by dealers).
Many people who had booked GT Line top models in Automatic since day 1 had no information about their car deep into the month of September too.
This post had no reference on you, so relax. In fact i like the Blue colour you opted for & also your new seat covers (which remind me of saddle brown shade from BMW's) which compliment the exterior blue.

Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What Karan wanted to say I think was - 'Kia/their dealers not following FIFO policy (First booked, first delivered).' Kia should have honoured the customers who booked the car on Day 1 and delivered the said cars on priority as compared to customers who walked in at a later date and decided to go for the lower variants whereby getting faster deliveries than the ones waiting in-line from days together. Karan is not blaming the walk-in customers but the dealership/Kia.

In any ownership be it 2 or 4 wheels, 'waiting period' is the worst of all. Days that's are between booking and delivery are the worst so getting frustrated is natural IMO.
Thanks for the clarification Anurag

Last edited by karan561 : 15th October 2019 at 02:47.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 05:35   #3367

My wheels finally roll after waiting for ages! The DCT shifts are seamless. Audio quality is HiFi. The car beats all my expectations!
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-29bbec35d1174b6c83cdefbdb7ee3106.jpeg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-73802777e2a740d8884a3a2dc25fb90b.jpeg  

AgentO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 07:31   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
This statement was made for Kia India who did not really plan the production of top models irrespective of order/variant confirmation in early August with the dealerships. Kia India mostly produced lower, mid variants and some top spec manuals (but no automatics) & 'dumped' them at dealerships (feel free to cross check at your near by dealers).
Agree on the mismanagement of bookings especially for the top specs which left everyone hanging irrespective of the booking, no, I was not referring for me but thanks for the clarification.

Yes, the tan seat cover color is matching up with the blue

That reminds me to update on the fit and finish of the seat covers sold in showroom : few of us felt that the fit and finish of my car's seat cover could have been better but looks like the problem is with the design of the covers itself and Service manager have recieved complaints from other customers too, here's another car getting the seat covers installed.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-20191011_111823.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentO View Post
My wheels finally roll after waiting for ages! The DCT shifts are seamless. Audio quality is HiFi. The car beats all my expectations!
Congratulations, this pearl white color is still the best looking one and grows on you everytime you look at it...

Last edited by Don Dasco : 15th October 2019 at 07:38. Reason: Quoted AgentO's post
Don Dasco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 08:42   #3369

I am getting my seltos HTK+ D-AT today evening. I am not getting any reliable info on BS6 fuel availability in Bangalore. Does anyone know where to get BS6 diesel?

Also, planning for seat covers from Trends HSR (after going through the teambhp thread). Anything to watch out?

I have already gone through teambhp page on new car purchase checklist and also downloaded the PDF for quick reference. Still, any suggestions or warning specific to Kia/seltos that I should be aware?

On a lighter note - I asked shell guys when will they start BS6 fuel. They told - only shell sir, no other fuel. If u want we have synthetic oil also

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th October 2019 at 08:43. Reason: edited tags
Old 15th October 2019, 09:03   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentO View Post
Congratulations on your new car!
Is this the GTX DCT or GTX+ DCT?

And is the dealer, Kia Autobahn at Worli?
Please give us your experience with the dealer and tell us about any deals you could get.

Last edited by Vedant Gupta : 15th October 2019 at 09:31.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 09:26   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post

And Is the dealer, Kia Autobahn at Worli?
Please give us your experience with the dealer and any deals you could get.
Looking at the camera on the ORVM , it appears to be a GTX+ DCT
Alive2Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 10:25   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
In the FB owners group, there's one person who has an Intense red HTE diesel in Hyderabad. He received the delivery pretty early just after launch, probably a month ago. However it seems KIA has "halted" the production of the base models. The dealers who have it, are selling it while others are dissuading the buyers against this model.
Thats quite a wrong policy by KIA. Given registration costs in HP are said to be going up and late delivery might bring a bump in the price from KIA side too.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 10:35   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Still figuring out how to play videos from USB when parked.
Did you mean to mirror your phone via Android Auto? Is this possible? I'm not sure about this but you need something called MirrorLink to be able to do this and Seltos doesn't have it, right? If that is the case, can this MirrorLink be installed?
Old 15th October 2019, 11:24   #3374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post

And is the dealer, Kia Autobahn at Worli?
Please give us your experience with the dealer and tell us about any deals you could get.
Thanks. It is the GTX+ DCT and the dealer ( great guess) is Autobhan Worli. I did not interact much with these guys. The Powai dealership is much larger and a better place to interact and deal with. They got me sold on the SELTOS but the sale happened at Worli. Did not get into any deal with them just reduced the accessories and return to invoice numbers from the final price.
AgentO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 12:03   #3375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Thats quite a wrong policy by KIA. Given registration costs in HP are said to be going up and late delivery might bring a bump in the price from KIA side too.
It seems KIA manufactured an assortments of variants before launch and dumped it at the dealers which they are trying to clear up. The dealers had also pre-booked certain cars it seems which they are receiving now. Meanwhile KIA is focused on manufacturing certain high demand variants first. Do check with other nearby dealers who might have HTE models available with them.

For example: Bangalore dealer was happy to deliver a HTK+ D MT model in less than a month but said the HTK one will take time. It was exactly the other way round with the Bhubaneswar dealer who wanted to deliver HTK ASAP.

@MODs, when can we expect the Official Review for Seltos?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks