Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 13:36   #3511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Isn't this DCT issue being over hyped now? This isn't the first car to come out with a DCT gearbox. I have the old generation Ford Ecosport DCT and I guess Ford did sell a fairly large number of these cars. Barring a couple of incidents, most cars and their gearboxes have not given an issue (atleast I haven't heard of them). The practice of shifting to N whenever you come to halt at a signal or waiting in the car idling is recommended for all gearboxes, MT and AT included. In fact why would someone want to keep holding the brake and keep their car in D mode?
drmohitg is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 14:07   #3512

I test drove, IVT (petrol), Torque Converter (diesel) and DCT.

IVT: Gearbox is smooth, with minimal rubber band effect or barely noticeable rubber band effect for normal drive. If you do fast driving, the gear shifts ( both up&down) with a delay of 1sec and hear revving sound of the engine. You will not notice if you do not drive DCT.

Torque Converter (TC): I did not notice any rubber band effect on the torque converter and the gear shift happens faster than the IVT, for both normal and fast driving. Also I noticed some jerk effect in slow traffic. You still hear the revving of the engine before the gear shifts.

DCT: Very fast gear shifting unlike IVT and TC. The drive is like playing NFS, especially in the sports mode. In slow traffic not very smooth when compared to IVT.

After test driving all I liked DCT the most. However, when I did the OTR calculation, insurance renewal and maintenance I finally booked IVT HTX. Also most of my commute is in the city, and IVT appears to be more VFM.

I really wish a GTX+ variant for IVT as it is missing those additional safety features.
anilv4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 14:54   #3513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
Took delivery of my Seltos 1.5L MT Diesel HTK+ variant day before yesterday.
Completed 260 Kms and I am already impressed.
- Mileage: My average mileage in the city was around 13-15Km/L and 18-22Km/L in the highway which is quiet impressive eventhough it's too early to comment on the same.
- Headlight: After a short drive in the night, I felt the headlight has enough brightness and does its job nicely.
Congrats Binoyyj! Hope you are having a great experience with your Seltos.
I have booked a Seltos 1.5D MT and had a few doubts. Can you please help?

1. What is schedule for the 1st service/checkup? I have a 1200+ km non-stop trip planned right after the delivery and wanted any avoid any breaks for this checkup.

2. How effective are the headlights on the highways?

3. What is the FE in the city and highway?
Old 21st October 2019, 15:17   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Congrats Binoyyj! Hope you are having a great experience with your Seltos.
I have booked a Seltos 1.5D MT and had a few doubts. Can you please help?

1. What is schedule for the 1st service/checkup? I have a 1200+ km non-stop trip planned right after the delivery and wanted any avoid any breaks for this checkup.

2. How effective are the headlights on the highways?

3. What is the FE in the city and highway?
Hi Ashish89, thank you!

1. First service is scheduled at 1000kms/1 month, whichever comes first. I got mine serviced at 1017 Kms, 200-300 Kms extra should be fine since this is just a general checkup, there is no oil change and all. Anyway it's better you consult your SA regarding this.

2. Does the job well, has adequate brightness, no complaints.

3. Mileage after driving for 1600+ Kms
City: 12-15Km/L
Highway: 18-21 Km/L
binoyyj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 16:52   #3515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
Hi Ashish89, thank you!

1. First service is scheduled at 1000kms/1 month, whichever comes first. I got mine serviced at 1017 Kms, 200-300 Kms extra should be fine since this is just a general checkup, there is no oil change and all. Anyway it's better you consult your SA regarding this.

2. Does the job well, has adequate brightness, no complaints.

3. Mileage after driving for 1600+ Kms
City: 12-15Km/L
Highway: 18-21 Km/L
Congratulations for your new car. I have also booked diesel manual.

I am sure it may been already answered in the thread but it is painful to find. My question is that whether Seltos BS6 diesel runs fine on BS4 fuel? Is it not an issue?
Old 21st October 2019, 17:11   #3516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The practice of shifting to N whenever you come to halt at a signal or waiting in the car idling is recommended for all gearboxes, MT and AT included. In fact why would someone want to keep holding the brake and keep their car in D mode?
For MT this may a good practice but for AT, there are varied opinions on this especially for torque converter AT vehicles. Since I drive a TC and I had this confusion, researched a bit but I couldn't arrive at a conclusion. The reason for not shifting to N at every stop light is attributed to more clutch wear (every time you engage D). The reason to shift to N is mostly to free up engine from some load thereby reducing the fuel consumption a little but.

I used to shift to N whenever I stopped momentarily, but now I keep the car in D mostly throughout the drive.

Last edited by clevermax : 21st October 2019 at 17:14.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 17:25   #3517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Congratulations for your new car. I have also booked diesel manual.

I am sure it may been already answered in the thread but it is painful to find. My question is that whether Seltos BS6 diesel runs fine on BS4 fuel? Is it not an issue?
Welcome to the club! Kia claims to have run the Seltos on BS4 fuel for more than 1 lakh kilometres without any issues. No one has reported any issues so far regarding the same. But I did come across these two pages, can someone else explain?

https://gomechanic.in/blog/bs6-explained/
Quote:
For diesel-powered cars, using BS4 fuel in a BS6 vehicle can cause a host of expensive problems. BS6 diesel engines have very sophisticated electronics and a re-developed exhaust system. With the introduction of DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction), using BS4 diesel with high sulphur content will drastically increase the emission (due to increased sulphur ppm) eventually clogging up the diesel particulate filter. This will also affect the fuel economy in diesel cars.
https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....=779&Itemid=91
Quote:
if its a BS6 Diesel Car then due to change in Catalytic, Particulate Filter and other Engine Tuneup Changes its imperative to use in BS6 Fuel in BS6 Diesel Car. Net all - although BS4 Petrol can be used in BS6 Petrol Car without much a fuss, but for a Diesel one its recommended to use BS6 Diesel in a BS6 Compliant Diesel Car.
Anyway, BS6 fuel will be available from April 2020.
binoyyj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 17:40   #3518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpaaz View Post
How is the HTX manual? Did it ever feel under powered to you? Have booked the same variant but no TD is available for 1.5G MT.

Drove the IVT variant yesterday. Did not disappoint me at all. The engine noise was slightly on the louder side when i just floored the accelerator (Not too much noticeable though). I assume that is because of the IVT transmission. Gear shifts are very smooth. I think IVT is the best for city and B2B traffic, also it is very fuel efficient. The MID of the TD car was showing mileage of 9.9 KM/L, i think which is not bad at all. Only thing i felt lacking in the IVT was the sports mode. It would have been really handy on the highways for quick overhauls. Anyway it was a small TD as many other were waiting to get their hands on the IVT couldn't get a longer one.

Thinking of changing my booking to IVT. This was the first time i ever drove a CVT/IVT vehicle. Can someone throw light on how is the reliability of the CVT/IVT transmissions in the long run?
The HTX manual is not as punchy as the 1.4 L turbo but it doesn't feel underpowered, atleast in city conditions.

The IVT gearbox is not meant to be floored. It is best enjoyed when you provide a gradual throttle input. If you floor the car, the engine will rev without any power being transmitted to the axle, hence the increased noise.
It should be very comfortable to drive in the city and should be ok for highway runs once you are used to driving that kind of transmission.
The IVT gearbox in general is pretty fuel efficient, may even surpass the manual variant when driven properly.

IVT/CVT are prettly reliable and no major negative feedback has come across with respect to reliability.
If you are driving the car primarily and drive for long hours, I would certainly recommend getting the HTX IVT. At about 1 lakh rupees more, the IVT is a good upgrade.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 18:19   #3519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
For MT this may a good practice but for AT, there are varied opinions on this especially for torque converter AT vehicles. Since I drive a TC and I had this confusion, researched a bit but I couldn't arrive at a conclusion. The reason for not shifting to N at every stop light is attributed to more clutch wear (every time you engage D). The reason to shift to N is mostly to free up engine from some load thereby reducing the fuel consumption a little but.

I used to shift to N whenever I stopped momentarily, but now I keep the car in D mostly throughout the drive.
But then while doing so you are losing on two things:

1. Comfort which was the prime factor for you to opt for a AT vehicle.

2. Brake wear. Potentially the car would want to move forward when in D and you are using the brakes more than otherwise needed. This would definitely result in faster brake pads wear out.

I do not see any reason for not shifting to N whenever the car comes to a stop for more than a few seconds. We can argue in favour of saving the clutch or the brake pads but in reality both these components are used a zillion times while you are driving. One extra use of the same while trading in favour of your comfort isn't really going to effect the overall age of the respective parts. At least I would like to believe so.
drmohitg is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 20:13   #3520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
2. Brake wear. Potentially the car would want to move forward when in D and you are using the brakes more than otherwise needed. This would definitely result in faster brake pads wear out.

I do not see any reason for not shifting to N whenever the car comes to a stop for more than a few seconds. We can argue in favour of saving the clutch or the brake pads
I do not think that -not shifting to N while you are momentarily stopped- will result in any additional brake pad wear - simple reason being, when you're stopped, there's no rolling friction on the pads. The rotor and pads are static, and the static friction is keeping them intact until driver lets go of the brake pedal.

When an AT driver is slowing down to stop, the car is anyway in D. It will be in D until the car comes to a stop. So the brake system is fighting against the torque of the engine (through the fluid coupling) to bring the car to a stop. So until here, the scenario is exactly same for drivers who puts it in N after stopping Vs. those who keeps it in D after stopping.

Now after the car comes to a stop, the brake disc is no longer rotating. So, irrespective of whether the driver keeps it in D or N, it is not going to result in any brake pad wear. There need to be some movement under friction for the pad wear to happen.

When it is time to start moving again, drivers in D will release the brake, drivers in N will put it into D and then release the brake. So in both cases, the pad's release scenario will have same amount of wear.

Last edited by clevermax : 21st October 2019 at 20:17.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 22:11   #3521
BHPian

Is blind spot monitoring working for GTX+ DCT owners? I did not see it anywhere on the mirror.

Also in couple of occasions on a tricky speed breaker in B2B traffic car started going behind when switched from Neutral to Drive mode, shouldn't Hill Hold Assist handle this? The car behind started honking as he had absolutely left no space, somehow due to my experience managed to go fine. Missed the half clutch here.
Old 21st October 2019, 23:16   #3522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
Is blind spot monitoring working for GTX+ DCT owners? I did not see it anywhere on the mirror.
Blind spot camera is activated in the MID when turn indicators are used.
ysomani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 23:42   #3523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
I think the display from that ORVM's camera comes in your MID screen as soon as you switch on the turn indicator. There is nothing that will come on the ORVM per se.
Old 21st October 2019, 23:49   #3524
BHPian

What kind of mileage are people getting for the GDI+DCT variants, in the city and on highway?
Old 22nd October 2019, 00:48   #3525
Distinguished - BHPian

My Kia's registration number is 727 inspired by Boeing 727 which was an mid sized narrow body aircraft. It was designed with the Intention for short and medium length flights, the 727 got popular as it could use relatively short runways at smaller airports.
Shares a lot of attributes with my Seltos which itself is a Mid Sized SUV designed for small Urban roads but still can cope with inter-city commutes with ease.
I always like my cars registration number based on Aircraft variants, happy to have got 727 for the Seltos.
It shall compliment my BMW very well as that is a more powerful turbo petrol flaunting the number 747

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1571685325410.jpg

Have received the official HSRP number plate too (through the RTO), shall install it soon but in the meanwhile im liking the current arrangement font for the front which was actually a stop gap arrangement.

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd October 2019 at 00:54.
karan561 is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks