Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 13:09   #3946
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank_ferrari View Post
Off The topic read somewhere Kia Seltos owners getting engine light in there diesel variants with service people saying due to BS4 diesel in BS6 Seltos, I mean what, Kia saying already tested in BS4 diesel need not worry.
Checked out the owners’ manual regarding this and this is what it says:
Quote:
If running is repeated short distance or driven at low speeds for long time the accumulated soot may not get burned/oxidized automatically and malfunction indicator light will illuminate when more than certain amount of soot is deposited.
Solution is simple for diesel:
Quote:
It may stop blinking by driving the vehicle at more than 60 km/h or at more than second gear with 1500 to 2500 engine RPM for about 25 minutes.
Slightly impractical for Pertol:
Quote:
For Petrol engines driving at speed exceeding 80 km/h with engine RPM 1500 to 4000 and gear in 3rd or above for appx. 30 min
Regarding BS-IV diesel nothing is mentioned except this:
Quote:
It is recommended to use regulated automotive diesel fuel for DPF equipped vehicles. If you use diesel fuel including high sulfur (more than 50 ppm sulfur) and unspecified additives, it can cause DPF system to be damaged and white smoke can be emitted
Not sure but I think BS-IV diesel has 50ppm sulfur content.

Hope this helps.
S.MJet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 14:10   #3947
BHPian

Kia Seltos thread has hit 3 million views today(or late night yesterday). It now trails only Harrier and Tiago in terms of views having overtaken Nexon. In terms of replies to the thread, this thread has the most number of replies ever for an individual car thread in Indian Car scene.

Proves how Kia has got their debut car spot on. Anxiously waiting for the official review (Eager to know what prompted several team-bhp mods like GTO and Vid6639, smartcat etc to pick Seltos over Hector/Harrier/Creta/Compass/XUV 500) .

Last edited by RaghuVis : 13th November 2019 at 14:12.
RaghuVis is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 14:48   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Not sure but I think BS-IV diesel has 50ppm sulfur content.
You are right. The extent of sulphar is the major difference between Bharat Stage IV and Bharat Stage VI norms. BS-IV fuels contain 50 parts per million (ppm) sulphur, the BS-VI grade fuel only has 10 ppm sulphur.
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 15:14   #3949
Senior - BHPian

Given that Seltos Diesel in BS6 avatar costs similar or lesser than Creta 1.6 or any other 1.5 Diesel, does this mean upgrading BS4 to BS6 for a diesel is actually not that costly affair as one expected it to be? I know Seltos being 1.5 mill does qualify for tax benefits, but even then I am hearing figures of 1Lac for upgrade of 1.5L mill.

Last edited by PrideRed : 13th November 2019 at 15:35.
Old 13th November 2019, 15:17   #3950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Given that Seltos Diesel in BS6 avatar costs similar or lesser than Creta 1.6 or any other 1.5 Diesel, does this mean upgrading BS4 to BS6 for a diesel is actually not that costly affair as one is expected it to be? I
No!

Hyundai was happily enjoying thick profit margin with Creta
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 15:27   #3951

Hello everyone,

I am planning on a TD for the seltos today and would want to book an automatic, preferably a Diesel. Reading through so many inputs here I am confused so as to which one should I book. I understand there are a ton of options to choose from. My monthly driving would be around 3000 to 5000 kms, and hence my preference for a Diesel. I will be travelling about 2 to 3 times to Mumbai from Nashik in a month and hence automatic preference. Any help in the above would be greatly appreciated. Kindly let me know which should best suit my needs. TIA.
Old 13th November 2019, 15:46   #3952

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Kia Seltos thread has hit 3 million views today(or late night yesterday). It now trails only Harrier and Tiago in terms of views having overtaken Nexon. In terms of replies to the thread, this thread has the most number of replies ever for an individual car thread in Indian Car scene.

Proves how Kia has got their debut car spot on. Anxiously waiting for the official review (Eager to know what prompted several team-bhp mods like GTO and Vid6639, smartcat etc to pick Seltos over Hector/Harrier/Creta/Compass/XUV 500) .
Even I am waiting for official review of Seltos, as what a few days back MG Hector official review was done by T bhp but for sure a product review is incomplete if no review of after sales service, spare parts availability etc is done. After all you are not only buying a product, you are buying a brand and that brand has to live upto it's expectations. I booked mine GTX+ dct top end on Aug 22 and expected delivery is mid December. If by any chance TBHP can give an official review of Seltos by then, I would be most thankful.
Old 13th November 2019, 16:51   #3953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
One reason why the owner must stay with car when the service center tries to fix it.
Golden words

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrust View Post
Temperature meter was showing normal temperature and no warning in the dash.
Just to confirm, by Normal you mean, the temperature was showing as normal operating temperature and not stuck as the C mark. Asking because if it was showing normal then I doubt the temp sensor was faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
If it was a thermostat issue and they've replaced it, there is no way you'll find it as I feel they wouldn't have added it to car's service data.
I doubt that thermostat would have been the culprit. Because then it would mean that two things conked out at the same time, i.e. the temp gauge AND the thermostat, which is unlikely IMHO. What do you think?
I feel there is something else that caused the overheating, and the owner has the right to know.

I would strongly suggest that the service center be pressed hard to reveal that they fixed. And also get in writing their take on the cause and the fix for this issue.
Because if this happens again in future and god forbid causes some significant damages to the engine, KIA shouldn't be able to simply wash their hands of the issue.
Old 13th November 2019, 17:03   #3954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Imagine how many views a timely review would have gotten! I feel some timely reviewing can be vastly helpful to buyers as well as the team-bhp site.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 17:21   #3955
Senior - BHPian

I am considering Seltos HTK/HTK+ Petrol to replace our 9 year old 3rd Gen City.

Though I am yet to do a comprehensive test drive, I am bit concerned with recent updates about the car giving very poor mileage and overheating issues that are being reported.

Considering the replacement will be for my father, I would want to sure about the reliability of the car. Our 3rd gen city (touch wood) has not given a single complaint about mechanicals (it's engine is still as lovely as it was when we drove it out of the showroom).

Secondly, we keep our cars for long (9-10 years at minimum), so is Seltos which is still to prove itself in terms of long term reliability a safe bet?

I am also keeping a close watch on 5th gen City updates (25th Nov Global unveil).
Old 13th November 2019, 17:37   #3956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anxiously waiting for the official review (Eager to know what prompted several team-bhp mods like GTO and Vid6639, smartcat etc to pick Seltos over Hector/Harrier/Creta/Compass/XUV 500)
I drove my friend's Seltos 1.4 DCT GTX+ and loved it.

Pros:

- Looks and street presence
- Features
- Interior quality
- Ride quality
- Steering in sports mode

Cons:

- Suspiciously low boot space (thanks to 17 inch stepney). It does not look like it offers 450 litres space.
- Steering in normal/eco modes (too light, not much feel)

It is primarily the looks. I like all Kia designs, including the Carnival! Check out the 2021 Kia Optima:

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-2020kiak5kdmspec.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Though I am yet to do a comprehensive test drive, I am bit concerned with recent updates about the car giving very poor mileage and overheating issues that are being reported. Secondly, we keep our cars for long (9-10 years at minimum), so is Seltos which is still to prove itself in terms of long term reliability a safe bet?
Kia is usually in the top quartile in US/UK reliability surveys. Personally, I expect Hyundai-like reliability over the long term.

If you are opting for an automatic, I guess you can play it safe by opting for either CVT (petrol) or torque convertor (diesel)

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th November 2019 at 17:38.
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 18:24   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Given that Seltos Diesel in BS6 avatar costs similar or lesser than Creta 1.6 or any other 1.5 Diesel, does this mean upgrading BS4 to BS6 for a diesel is actually not that costly affair as one expected it to be? I know Seltos being 1.5 mill does qualify for tax benefits, but even then I am hearing figures of 1Lac for upgrade of 1.5L mill.

I think rather than quoting lesser price for BS4 like MG Hector, Kia is offering BS6 in BS4 prices. Their 'discount' can only be seen once other diesel cars start quoting their BS6 prices. I believe XUV300 will be in for a shock, because it is quoting at the highest end of the sub 4m spectrum, and post BS6 its prices will easily cross into next segment. At the same time, Kia will have ample room to increase prices and yet to stay below the market because other manufacturers may show suddenly high prices.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 19:43   #3958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

Cons:

- Suspiciously low boot space (thanks to 17 inch stepney). It does not look like it offers 450 litres space.
- Steering in normal/eco modes (too light, not much feel)
If you are opting for an automatic, I guess you can play it safe by opting for either CVT (petrol) or torque convertor (diesel)
On the boot space, it is around 320L only (as measured by me and also shared in the boot space measurements thread). Many manufacturers are over quoting the boot space info and actually deceiving customers!
One surprising thing I found that the venue's boot space is actually bigger than Seltos and even the Creta's and actually is close to the reported figure of 350L. Even among its models Hyundai is not following consistent boot space measurements?
The Seltos will have issues in fitting in luggage for a long weekend trip and if you have small kids, it will not be practical. Why can't car designers take a cue from cars like the Triber and do better space management!
Behemoth is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 20:00   #3959
BHPian

Hi everyone, my Seltos has been showing 0 on the AQI index on the infotainment system and the rear AQI display. I don't think that is normal, considering the abysmal atmosphere. Got it checked by Kia technicians, who had no clue about what was wrong.
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 20:15   #3960
BHPian

Waiting eagerly for a TeamBHP review! Out of the millions hits, a few hundred would be mine as I religiously check this thread every day, almost .
I have a booking (August) for GTX+ Diesel AT with no timeframe yet from dealer on delivery. It is rather ok with me too, as one gauge the reactions of the early owners on quality of the car and service. It has been a mixed bag with all the teething trouble and the BS6 diesel worries for diesel engine. An AT should help, ever so slightly, regarding the BS4 fuel burnt, from what I understand from posts above.

And to compound it all, there are huge discounts on Octavia / Civic which brings their price very near to my GTX+ onroad here in Bangalore. It is a good problem (to go for Seltos or go for 1.8 DSG Octy) to have, but a problem that is driving me nuts, nevertheless.
anoop cheeran is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed