Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 07:22   #4306
Mik
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post

So Seltos HTX diesel(13.79 lac ex-showroom) vs Captur Platine Diesel(9.99 lac ex-showroom after discount):
Advantage Seltos: BS6 engine, maybe better engine, better steering, better 10 inch touch screen and UVO
Advantage Captur: Better ride quality, 210 mm GC, extra airbags(no side airbags in Seltos HTX), 4 lacs cheaper and no waiting !!!
I am in the market too and TDed Captur, Duster and the diesel and turbo petrol Seltos.

Something that really put me off the Captur was poor steering response at high speeds and a weirdly tuned engine. From 3k to 4k rpm, there is almost nothing. The same engine on the Duster is so much more fun with a superior ride and handling package.

In comparison, the Seltos diesel felt very neutered with a poorer ride quality and average road manners. The turbo petrol is addictively fast though!

Right now inclined towards the Duster AWD but the middle variant has so many omissions that it's as if Renault folks are challenging the buyer.. "leke toh dikhao" (let's see if you still buy this)
The Seltos GTK 1.4 is a worthy bet for most in my opinion if once is ok with lower mileage and the 1.7 lakh premium on the duster top-end.

Last edited by Mik : 4th December 2019 at 07:37. Reason: Added a thought on the Seltos.
Mik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 08:01   #4307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docahmer View Post
2. Rattling sound from the parcel tray (can anyone suggest how to fix it?)

3. The display dims and comes back to normal brightness on its own (Has anyone else faced the same issue?)

4. The IRVM appears to be too bright at night. Is there anyway I can dim it?
2. I noticed the rattling during the test drive and attacked the person concerned with questions. He mentioned that the parcel tray of all Kia Seltos will be patched fix (not software ) during it's first service. They will just put foaming.

3. It has auto brightness like your smartphone

4. Nope, nothing can be done about your IRVM. I find it comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-fb_img_1573013736868.jpg  

Old 4th December 2019, 08:34   #4308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Something that really put me off the Captur was poor steering response at high speeds and a weirdly tuned engine. From 3k to 4k rpm, there is almost nothing. The same engine on the Duster is so much more fun with a superior ride and handling package.

Right now inclined towards the Duster AWD but the middle variant has so many omissions that it's as if Renault folks are challenging the buyer.. "leke toh dikhao" (let's see if you still buy this)
Thanks for highlighting all that. What value of high speeds are you talking regarding poor steering response of Captur. 3k to 4k rpm in a diesel car will be used only during overtaking. No extra power in that band means problem in overtaking. I'll try to check all that during my TestDrive.

I too would have definitely gone with Duster AWD, had it been launched in top end too. Main difference between top end Duster(RxZ) and AWD(RxS-O) is omission of cruise control, reverse parking camera, rear wiper/washer, height adjustable seat and electrically foldable ORVMs in AWD.
Don't know what they were thinking while downgrading AWD Duster
SahilS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 08:45   #4309
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Thanks for highlighting all that. What value of high speeds are you talking regarding poor steering response of Captur. 3k to 4k rpm in a diesel car will be used only during overtaking. No extra power in that band means problem in overtaking. I'll try to check all that during my TestDrive.

I too would have definitely gone with Duster AWD, had it been launched in top end too. Main difference between top end Duster(RxZ) and AWD(RxS-O) is omission of cruise control, reverse parking camera, rear wiper/washer, height adjustable seat and electrically foldable ORVMs in AWD.
Don't know what they were thinking while downgrading AWD Duster

I took a aggressive lane change at around 90 and the captur just didn't feel surefooted. There was no 'feel'. Same issue with the Kicks. I do have the old figo so benchmark is a bit high. Do factor in that Captur is a dud so resale/parts might be an issue later on.
However, the duster felt much much better. A friend commented "it's like you want to buy a faster, bigger, go-anywhere figo" about my inclination for the duster
For the AWD, the unpardonable sin is omission of rear wiper. Just can't retrofit it. Rest probably i can live with.

Since i have not yet decided, can any seltos 1.4 turbo petrol owner tell me what real world mileage are they getting. The TD car showed 7.2 and it was alarming.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:35   #4310
BHPian

Quick 3500km update on my 1.5D-AT:
Mileage has increased to 14.2kmpl by T-2-T method. The MID shows 15.6kmpl. Driven in city spiritedly with AC and around half an hour stationary with AC. Very happy with the mileage, given the power and fun-factor.

I am getting some rattling noise from the dash just around the glove compartment on sharp potholes, will need to get it checked in next service

Managed to fine tune the sound settings to my liking, loving it now.

Auto Headlamp is way too sensitive, in cold mornings in Delhi it just refuse to switch-off. Also low-beams with white lights in mornings is hardly visible.

Auto IRVM is a boon and voice commands and recognition works flawlessly. However, for things like playing your favourite track etc. one still needs to go to Google Voice from the ICE.

FATC works perfectly as long as in Auto mode, within minutes of switching it though with 2 or more passengers, the windscreen fogs up. In places like Delhi, one needs to continuously fiddle with the temperature as the car heats-up. I am glad that there is a dedicated control for this and I don't have to go through the ICE like in MG to do this.

My Daughter loves fiddling with the Sound mood lighting, sadly it doesn't work outside of 'P'.

Had to increase the tyre pressure to 33-34, else during cold-starts the TPMS goes below 30 and throws a warning. The only way then to get rid of this is to take each tyre above 35psi individually wait a couple of seconds for the warning to go off and then bring them back to the desired levels. It is a royal pain in the!

I had never though UVO connect will come so handy. The ability to check on your car from anywhere is just amazing. I also use the remote unlock/lock feature regularly - to open/close the car for my cleaner; to let the maid/driver fetch something from the car, etc. Also the ability to track the car when lent to the driver or the ASA is just so comforting. It is also great that you can do so post each drive and check the route, time, average and highest speed, hard breaking/acceleration, etc. (just keep away from wife/parents)

Overall I went in with the Seltos not too convinced as I was coming in from an XUV and had already my heart set on Hector. However, the Petrol Auto was proving to be too costly to run and decided to go with the Diesel Auto again. In the beginning it always felt like not an upgrade (sans the interior quality) but now it is starting to grow on me as a perfect all-round package for daily B2B office commute. The need for a bigger car is only there a couple of days a month, on the rest the Seltos is definitely a better place to be.

Also finally after nearly 2 months got my RC. The unladen kerb weight on it is 1326kgs

Last edited by AGwagon : 4th December 2019 at 09:52.
AGwagon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:41   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
Since i have not yet decided, can any seltos 1.4 turbo petrol owner tell me what real world mileage are they getting. The TD car showed 7.2 and it was alarming.
If you live in B2B traffic be prepared to be alarmed often.
B2B and tough city roads will give you 8-9kmpl.
Highway runs in sport mode will fetch you 10-12 kmpl
If you are careful with throttle on small roads / highways in moderate speeds, you can get close to 13-14kmpl.
The maximum I have achieved so far is 15.2kmpl as per MID for a night drive of 30km on a single laned state highway at 40-60kmph.
Said that, I dont expect much from diesel AT in b2b traffic either. (TD car showed 10kmpl on MID). Facebook posts and Whatsapp forwards are full of 20+kmpl figures, most of them in highways at moderate speeds.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:56   #4312

I have observed that when I park close to the kerb/ wall in the front, the front sensors change from intermittent beeps to a continuous beep (according to the manual it happens when you are at a distance of 30cms). And if I try to go further the car appears to brake by itself.

Secondly I am unable to check my tyre pressure from my UVO app. The tyres are green coloured in the status window. But doesnt show the tyre pressures.

I like the fact that the horn is not too loud when you lock/unlock the car. Less disturbance to neighbours. Is there any way to disable it altogether?
Old 4th December 2019, 11:23   #4313
BHPian

Quote:

My GTK has run 663 kms and the MID shows a mileage of 11.9kmpl. Most of my drive till now has been in Bangalore city, though not in bumper to bumper traffic. If the figure shown by the MID is true, then I'm getting a better mileage compared to what I was getting with my previous car (2012 Verna petrol).
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-mileage.jpg  

sidhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:02   #4314
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

How is the performance of 1.5L NA Petrol engine?

Also, Which variant is VFM in that?

How much FE, can we expect in the city?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Last edited by RedStallion : 4th December 2019 at 12:09.
Old 4th December 2019, 12:16   #4315
BHPian

Quote:
I like the fact that the horn is not too loud when you lock/unlock the car. Less disturbance to neighbours. Is there any way to disable it altogether?
Pressing the lock and unlock key simultaneously for 5-6 seconds disables the sound. I did not want the sound, so disabled it as soon as I got my car.
sidhegde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 13:28   #4316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
Hello BHPians,

How is the performance of 1.5L NA Petrol engine?

Also, Which variant is VFM in that?

How much FE, can we expect in the city?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
The 1.5L NA petrol engine is dwarfed only in comparison to the 1.4L Turbo. But on its own, is a good engine. The power delivery is very linear and torque offered is limited but sufficient. Regardless, I've still managed to launch it at traffic signals and leave much capable cars/engines far behind. Having said that, with full load you may have to shift gears a little too often. If most of your driving is in city conditions + with 0/1 co-passengers + you're looking for a sedate but pleasant driving experience then this engine will not fail to deliver.

I can't comment about the IVT but the MT has its quirks. However, I've been told some things get better over time (like smoothness) and some others can be fixed (like the knob).

In Bangalore, I'm getting a FE of 11.5kmpl - 75% in-city and 25% on-highway.

I've seen HTK+ works very well for most of them. But if you're on a tight budget, HTK is a good package for what it offers.
dksv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 14:12   #4317

How much is the Road Tax in Bangalore for GTX+ DCT ? The SA is quoting 3.2 L. However some of the website says it's 17% of the price which comes around 2.9 L. Is the dealer taking us granted ?
Old 4th December 2019, 16:17   #4318
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
A few things that I didn't like/ facing problems with,

1. Ride quality slightly stiffer than Creta

2. Rattling sound from the parcel tray (can anyone suggest how to fix it?)

3. The display dims and comes back to normal brightness on its own (Has anyone else faced the same issue?)

4. The IRVM appears to be too bright at night. Is there anyway I can dim it?

5. Appears smaller than Creta when viewed from the rear in traffic. But you will get used to it.

6. Cabin can get noisy if you open the fabric roof sheet even with the sunroof closed

7. I switch on the transmission temperature display in the MID when driving in heavy traffic and gets me worried sometimes.
Having owned it for 2 months now, will chip in where you have issues.

1. What tyre pressure are you riding at? I have tried multiple and the best ride quality (suspension + steering feedback) is at 32 psi. The suspension also gets softer as you drive more

2. Go to the service center or wait till the first service. During the first service, they apply rubber plugs / foam to a few corners, on their own accord, to fix the rattle.

3. It usually dims when you go through shade as it thinks it is dark. If your lights are in auto, they will go on too. If it is dimming randomly (while being in the sun), get it checked as it might mean a faulty light sensor.

4. That’s weird. Mine dims very well. Check another seltos and see if that is any better.

5 & 6. True. Have to live with it.

7. It used to get me worried too. But after 2 months I can say that if you drive it right (pressing the break all the way when at a standstill, or putting it in N, avoiding creeping by letting the gap open up in front), you will not face any issues. I’ve been in jams often and not once has the temperature risen to even orange levels (above the small mark ⅔ of the way)
ADB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 16:21   #4319
ADB
BHPian

Quote:

2k kilometres done. I’m getting between 10 and 11.5 (tankful method, not the MID, which shows +1). All my driving has been in Gurgaon and a bit in delhi. Haven’t had the chance to take it on the highway yet. Though my morning journey to work has a a few kilometres of the highway in it. And yea - I do drive with a heavy right foot, whenever I see the gap - to enjoy the the engine + DCT combo.
ADB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 16:50   #4320
BHPian

Did anyone with short height find any comfortable seating position in Seltos? then please let me know your preferred seating position.
I visited showroom to get a feel and view from seating position. TD was not available.
I'm 5'5 and had to adjust seat to max height to get some road view. I find pedals(A, B, C) deep inside the well. So with seat at max height, I have to shift seat towards dash to press pedals properly. Problem by shifting towards dash is that my knees were almost touch dash(near push button). Overall, couldn't find any comfortable seating position

Anyone faced a similar issue? Although seating position is specific to everyone, but still if someone less than 5'6 could throw a light about their preferred seating position in Seltos, it would be great.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks