Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 11:51   #451
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

So, clearly the 1.5l petrol and diesel engines are under-powered as compared to the Creta. Creta interiors are good as they are and then what would be the driving factors for the Seltos? UVO, Bose audio, eco coating, window curtains are all marketing gimmicks and don't really add substantial value unless you are an uninformed car buyer who will pay a premium for this over the Creta.

1.4 turbo with DCT will be the one to go for but then I personally find that spending in excess of 20lakhs for a compact SUV is a bit too much. The performance upgrade has to really knock your socks off to command that price for a compact suv. I hope it does!

Last edited by manson : 25th June 2019 at 11:54. Reason: Deleted blank rows.
Old 25th June 2019, 12:00   #452
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
True, petrol cars above 1200cc have the same GST rate. GST rate is different for diesel cars up to 4 meters and above for 4 meters. Ground clearance doesn't seem to be a factor anymore
Attachment 1887639
Source:https://www.paisabazaar.com/tax/gst-...r_Personal_Use
There is a calculation mistake in this chart: In row# 3, the total tax for Petrol cars above 1200CC (irrespective of length) is 50% (28+22), not 43%.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:02   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeevSharma View Post
On reading that some people are getting calls to book the car, I did search on Google for any Kia Sales Showroom in Mumbai and found none which tells me that their network of sales and service is not ready and will take time even if the car is ready to be sold in August. The people who have invested in sales showrooms can help ease their financial burden by offering early bookings and a good response will also ensure them of long term success of their endeavour.

It is surprising thought that they have still no presence in Mumbai and Pune as there are very important markets.
Kia showroom is coming up on Tilak Road where the Hyundai was before. Its the same Hyundai dealership which has now setup the Kia. The work is in progress and the facility now sports Kia emblem.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:04   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the calculation of Tax structure as posted by Auto Punditz:

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-100.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:10   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
So, clearly the 1.5l petrol and diesel engines are under-powered as compared to the Creta. Creta interiors are good as they are and then what would be the driving factors for the Seltos? UVO, Bose audio, eco coating, window curtains are all marketing gimmicks and don't really add substantial value unless you are an uninformed car buyer who will pay a premium for this over the Creta.
Whether the New 1.5 Petrol & Diesel Engines are underpowered or not, only a proper Drive will tell us that. But lower numbers shouldn't mean that car is underpowered. Best Example I can give is the Skoda Laura. The Manual Version had power output of 110bhp but power defecit wasn't felt. Any Laura owner can confirm this.

One thing you should note is that these 1.5 Petrol & Diesel Engines are BS6 Complaint. They'll make their way into Next Gen Creta in 2020. Kia has done nothing wrong here. If Creta wasn't there, this equation wouldn't have been existed.

There are many things in Seltos that you don't have in Creta. (Disc Brakes at Rear, Heads up Display, Rear Curtains, LED Headlights, etc) If you ask me more then gimmicks, these are must have features especially for me. I would have these rather than Sunroof, Touch Screen HU, Wireless Charging etc.

I don't want sun baking my head so Sunroof is a useless feature in India. I don't want my mind to divert attention towards that fancy touchscreen, I am driving the car not controlling it. I don't have a phone that supports wireless charging, so if I want to charge, I'll ask my co driver to plug in USB/Car Charger, or else being smart, I'll charge it before starting my journey.

All in all, the practical bits are that I care for. Hyundai cars have generally been weak in this aspect. I hope Kia doesn't head into same direction at least here.

Coming to Price, all know that Creta is Overpriced, it is selling because it has features to boost of and size seems to be perfect for nuclear families. But if Creta was a well engineered car and Hyundai had priced it this way, it wouldn't have clicked. Again the 1st Gen Jazz launched in 2009 is the best example. There was no car like it at that time, it was down on equipment compared to i20 but it wasn't a success. i20 was successful because it had features, but nothing else to show up.

That way Kia hasn't concentrated on just features, they have done well in Design, Desirability, Safety, Quality Aspects and that'll help them establish well in the market despite being late Entrant.
CarguyNish is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:41   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the calculation of Tax structure as posted by Auto Punditz:

Attachment 1887642
I was referring to the same chart when i posted that Sedans and SUVs are taxed differently. However, as other BHPians have pointed out, the latest rates are same for petrol cars over 1.2-litre (irrespective of body type). May be there were changes in between which i was not aware of. So the tax angle is out of question now.
Old 25th June 2019, 12:56   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
There is a calculation mistake in this chart: In row# 3, the total tax for Petrol cars above 1200CC (irrespective of length) is 50% (28+22), not 43%.
I would think that 43% is probably correct but it should be 28+15 and not 28+22.
Old 25th June 2019, 13:18   #458
BHPian

Might be going off topic here though both the Verna & Creta too would be moving to the same 1.5L hearts as HMIL is not upgrading their 1.6L Engine. Also, even after such good power figures, the Hyundai vehicles has an extremely linear power delivery whereas it could be possible now that the 1.5L Engine is more tuned towards a stronger lower end & Mid range. Being global engines, Kia deserves the benefit of doubt here. Also, they already know about their initial competition with Hyundai hence I'm sure they'll be tuning the engines accordingly.

Last edited by YashD : 25th June 2019 at 13:20.
Old 25th June 2019, 15:32   #459
BHPian

Thanks for the information. 1620 mm height is short for any SUV in my opinion. Not sure why the automakers are reducing the height . Any true blue SUV should be at the least 1700 mm in height. It will translate to real butch looks and good interior space. What is the point in calling it an SUV if it is similar or only slightly taller than a tall boy hatch or an MPV?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th June 2019 at 15:38. Reason: fixed quoted tags
Old 25th June 2019, 16:42   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Whether the New 1.5 Petrol & Diesel Engines are underpowered or not, only a proper Drive will tell us that. But lower numbers shouldn't mean that car is underpowered. Best Example I can give is the Skoda Laura. The Manual Version had power output of 110bhp but power defecit wasn't felt. Any Laura owner can confirm this.

One thing you should note is that these 1.5 Petrol & Diesel Engines are BS6 Complaint. They'll make their way into Next Gen Creta in 2020. Kia has done nothing wrong here. If Creta wasn't there, this equation wouldn't have been existed.

There are many things in Seltos that you don't have in Creta. (Disc Brakes at Rear, Heads up Display, Rear Curtains, LED Headlights, etc) If you ask me more then gimmicks, these are must have features especially for me. I would have these rather than Sunroof, Touch Screen HU, Wireless Charging etc.

I don't want sun baking my head so Sunroof is a useless feature in India. I don't want my mind to divert attention towards that fancy touchscreen, I am driving the car not controlling it. I don't have a phone that supports wireless charging, so if I want to charge, I'll ask my co driver to plug in USB/Car Charger, or else being smart, I'll charge it before starting my journey.

All in all, the practical bits are that I care for. Hyundai cars have generally been weak in this aspect. I hope Kia doesn't head into same direction at least here.

I never mentioned a sun-roof or wireless chargers as features that would drive up the value. None of my cars have them and I don't care much about them either. I buy my cars for the power-train, suspension and ergonomics. The other features are an added bonus but I don't fret over them.

No matter how you spin it, these two 1.5l engines are anemic at best. You can tune them as you want but they'll never mimic a 150-170HP engine.

I just feel that price on these things keeps climbing and the performance benefits are not as obvious. Hyundai Venue Turbo DCT being one of the latest of these cases. I am sure it will sell well but for the same reasons as the i20 beat the Jazz.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 17:03   #461
BANNED

Looks like Kia is doing some targeting advertising.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1561462331038.jpg  

simeonovitch is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 18:07   #462
BHPian

Seltos vs Hector

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190625_180408.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190625_180326.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190625_180253.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190625_180159.jpg

More
jailbird_fynix is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 20:25   #463
BHPian

After viewing the specifications and equipment list, I am getting a strong feeling that Seltos will be positioned below the Harrier, taking on the Creta head on which almost has a monopoly in it's segment whereas the Hector will be positioned above. An ex-showroom price of around 10 - 10.5 Lakhs for the Seltos now seems a possibility whereas Hector will be sold in the higher price bracket (around 12 Lakhs ex showroom).
Old 25th June 2019, 21:09   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
After viewing the specifications and equipment list, I am getting a strong feeling that Seltos will be positioned below the Harrier, taking on the Creta head on which almost has a monopoly in it's segment whereas the Hector will be positioned above. An ex-showroom price of around 10 - 10.5 Lakhs for the Seltos now seems a possibility whereas Hector will be sold in the higher price bracket (around 12 Lakhs ex showroom).

All the rumors (auto website prices) point to that thing only. But on the other hand Kia's quote of positioning it at a premium compared to Creta has me worried. Personally I am looking at a Petrol Auto car below 15L
Old 26th June 2019, 10:57   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
Hector looks weird from some angles, and is oddly proportioned, especially the tiny wheels make the car feel top-heavy.
I saw the Hector yesterday at MG's flagship store in Gurgaon and yes, i would agree with you. While the front looks imposing but rear didn't appeal to me and it looked dis-proportioned compared to Seltos. Though the panaromic sunroof is too good and i am fallen for this premium feature.

Kia seltos on the other hand doesn't have panaromic sunroof.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks