Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 19:59   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Korean Seltos may not be BS6 and hence could be running on older 1.6-litre engines.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 22:52   #497
Senior - BHPian

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
The tax structures are completely different. GOI milks the car manufacturers like no other country, except Singapore maybe, but thats for totally different reasons!

Seltos looks like a very well finished product and will not want to be competing with Chinese products on price. My hunch is it will be priced 11.99 - 14.99!

My hope for the pricing is KIA going for the kill - and pricing it 9.99 -13.99. I think the competition is tough, market is down, and the brand is looking to make a first impression. They don't want to start on the wrong foot.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 07:14   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
My hope for the pricing is KIA going for the kill - and pricing it 9.99 -13.99. I think the competition is tough, market is down, and the brand is looking to make a first impression. They don't want to start on the wrong foot.
After the global reveal many websites, media have already mentioned the KIA Seltos will be priced from 11L upto 17L. Even the Hyundai Creta top model is priced at 15.5L then how can you have such wishful thinking ?
Kia Seltos Top model @ 14L is impossible ! Hence best not to have such non-realistic expectations.

Last edited by karan561 : 28th June 2019 at 07:15.
karan561 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 08:04   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this on YouTube:

Source - YouTube
naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 08:30   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
After the global reveal many websites, media have already mentioned the KIA Seltos will be priced from 11L upto 17L. Even the Hyundai Creta top model is priced at 15.5L then how can you have such wishful thinking ?
Kia Seltos Top model @ 14L is impossible ! Hence best not to have such non-realistic expectations.
Then apart from that 140 bhp petrol none of the meeker 115 bhp engines will make sense at such high prices especially from a unknown brand and because of the competition that is equipped with more powerful engines, at par or even better features and dealership network. I somehow now have a feeling of Seltos being a ‘Dead on arrival’ product, a victim of too little too late.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 08:36   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Very true. We all know (or am i assuming?) that Kia will be positioned above Hyundai in India. Taking into consideration the current price for Creta, there is no way Seltos will be priced this low. At best, Kia will charge a ~50k premium over Hyundai. In that case too, Seltos will end at ~16 lacs. My guess is 16.25-16.49 lacs.

Look at the additional equipment that Seltos will offer over Creta: Bigger dimensions, BSVI, HUD, 360-camera, blind spot monitor, Bose system, and front parking sensors. I agree that Hector pricing may play a spoil-sport for Seltos but i think Kia will take some risk here and price Seltos closer to Hector. Also, IMO Kia should not be much worried about Hector as not everyone wants such a big car which will be less fuel efficient and difficult to park / manoeuvre. On top of that MG has a Chinese connection, which might not overpower Kia's Korean connection.
tarik.arora is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 11:23   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post

Look at the additional equipment that Seltos will offer over Creta: Bigger dimensions, BSVI, HUD, 360-camera, blind spot monitor, Bose system, and front parking sensors.
Dimensions feel like a minor increase. Those who will like Creta will not mind this dimension, but this car is no match for XUV or Harrier in terms of space.

Also the next gen creta might also come early next year based on same platform(Hyundai can bring the car pretty quickly as most of the testing is already completed by Kia). I agree that Creta might be priced bit cheaper to give the premium feel for Kia customers.

It will be interesting to see how the market tilts in favor of Petrol because Hyundai/Kia engines are not known to be frugal like the Japanese
Old 28th June 2019, 12:20   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As has been the case before as well, the 11 lakh starting could be 'planted info' given out publishing houses so that the actual pricing comes as a surprise. Yes, the top end is likely to be higher.
Old 28th June 2019, 12:31   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Then apart from that 140 bhp petrol none of the meeker 115 bhp engines will make sense at such high prices especially from a unknown brand and because of the competition that is equipped with more powerful engines, at par or even better features and dealership network. I somehow now have a feeling of Seltos being a ‘Dead on arrival’ product, a victim of too little too late.
Specs on paper are often misleading. As an example, my 110 bhp, 250 Nm Laura is faster than my 170bhp 350 Nm Jeep compass. The Laura engine is better tuned and the gear ratios are well designed for a faster in gear acceleration. the 0-100 time of the Laura is under 9.9 sec while the JC time is more than 11.5 sec. Of course there are other factors like weight of the vehicle and aerodynamics in play, but the Engine and gearbox play a significant role in the driving excitement of the car. Another point to note is that the Laura engine consistently gives me a mileage of 18-19kmpl in mixed use in Delhi-Gurgaon, while the Compass gives me a mileage of 13-13.5 in the same usage cycle.
Another point worth mentioning is that the JC delivers only 136 bhp at wheels (when tested on Dyno) while the Laura delivers 105 bhp at wheels. So paper specs do not do justice to the actual driving dynamics and performance of a car.
Hyundai Diesels are known to be quite good and the Diesel 1.6 in the Creta is a very smooth and high torque engine. The 1.5 engines should also be a good performer while being as silent.
Behemoth is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 13:42   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Ram Dantuluri for sharing these from Bangalore.

The Seltos has been spotted in dual-tone colour shades:

Red body with Black roof
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1w.jpg

White body with Orange roof
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-2w.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 13:46   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quite like the looks of the Red and Black dual tone car, the white with the Orange top not so much. Infact not at all.
Also like the rear of this car, one thing that seems apparent is that the wheels fill the wheel wells quite nicely too. What is the GC of this car?
Old 28th June 2019, 13:58   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks to Ram Dantuluri for sharing these from Bangalore.
This guy is a very good friend of mine and he told me that Seltos looked smashing with those alloys. He found these vehicles near his office in bangalore, loaded with some Korean executives.
Hickstead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 13:58   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Quite like the looks of the Red and Black dual tone car, the white with the Orange top not so much. Infact not at all.
Also like the rear of this car, one thing that seems apparent is that the wheels fill the wheel wells quite nicely too. What is the GC of this car?
Ground clearance is 190mm I believe.
Old 28th June 2019, 14:14   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Agreed. White with black roof looks elegant any day. Wonder it should've been other way with orange body and white roof which is today's trend. I'm not really a great fan of dual tone roofs anyways.
IMO, Red and black or white and black go well and rest all combinations appear out of place in flesh on most of the cars.
Old 28th June 2019, 14:55   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
The tax structures are completely different. GOI milks the car manufacturers like no other country, except Singapore maybe, but thats for
Add Nepal to the list. A Swift Vxi costs an equivalent of 20 lacs Indian rupees in Nepal. Read somewhere, even cars in Srilanka are as expensive as in Nepal.

Back to Seltos, its definitely a better looking than Creta, in my opinion. I'm much of a sedan guy but if I were in the market for SUV, it would be in my shortlist.
amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks