Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 08:43   #1066
BANNED

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Compass AT range from 23 L to 33L, Octavia AT (a sedan) is 25L to 32L, Tucson AT is from 26L to 33L, Seltos top end might reach around 21 OTR

Kia is free to price Seltos using Compass, Octavia, Tucson as reference.

Only problem is that just like the other names, Seltos will become a niche product selling less than 1000 units a month (after the initial hype dies down).

If Kia wishes to be a mass brand (instead of a niche brand) - they have only two options. Either give similar value to creta at 20% lesser price. Or price it at par with creta and provide 20% more value.

This is not easy to provide - because creta already provides 20% more value by being part of an established brand, ASS network, after-market parts availability, resale value, etc. Now Kia has to do something to negate that 20% advantage of Creta, and then provide another 20% more. Easier said than done .
PYSO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 09:46   #1067
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that the Seltos will be priced at a premium over the Creta for now. The Seltos is slightly bigger, more kit and also BS VI which adds to the cost.

Hyundai in the long run will not want Kia to be the premium offering and once the all new Creta is launched it will price its product above the Seltos.

Make no mistake, these guys are taking the C segment SUVs into D segment pricing. They will play the low priced entry card for the base models and the difference to the top spec will be around 7-9 lakhs ex-showroom. There will be a clear cut understanding between the two on market share. Think about it, almost 50% more showrooms and service centres between the two. This onslaught is going to take the others in the segment by surprise.

I am going against the tide here and will term the Seltos expensive at 21 lakhs OTR( that is what the dealer told me for the top spec diesel auto).

It is more software than hardware. Small engines and vague feature list. Cannot comment on the build and drive just as yet. Apart from the ventilated seats, Bose et all can be fitted aftermarket. Considering we find the Creta expensive, now the Seltos suddenly seems a whole lot of value at around 2 lakhs more?

It is unfair to compare the Compass/Hector/Harrier to the Seltos as I feel that they are clearly a segment above.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 11:45   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Booked a Seltos finally yesterday.

Will decide variant when launched as I am told that can be changed after launch. For now told them to book the BLACK Top End diesel AT.

Prices I am told by a reliable source in the auto industry will be beginning at 8.99 L Onwards Ex and the top end has not been revealed. However my gut instinct says the difference between the base and top end is not going to be a mammoth margin. It will be as low as it can get.

If that is true then should really shake the competition up.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:17   #1069
BHPian

Does anyone know which kind of wheels does the GTK variant gets?

The variant list say 'No' against all wheel options, even for R16 wheel cover.

Does it mean no alloys and not even wheel covers? on a GT Line? Is this possible?
rahul_goyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:25   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Considering the Creta automatic (which do not have many features of the 1.5 diesel Seltos )is priced at 19L OTR, I feel the full options Seltos will cross 20L OTR, may be 21 L on the road. 1.4 DCT would be the most expensive model considering the gearbox costs (Venue DCT is priced 1L more than the similarly specced manual petrol) and could go upto 21-22 L on the road.
I completely agree, although I'd liked to be proved completely wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Prices I am told by a reliable source in the auto industry will be beginning at 8.99 L Onwards Ex and the top end has not been revealed. However my gut instinct says the difference between the base and top end is not going to be a mammoth margin. It will be as low as it can get.
Going by past experience, car makers have almost always managed to surprise - both pleasantly and otherwise.

Kia will have runaway success if the ex-factory prices at the far end remain in the 15.5 L - 16.5 L range.

However, we also have a brand perception game at play here. Neither of the siblings would want to be the inferior brand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_goyal View Post
From one of the many lists doing rounds:

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-kiaseltosgtkgtxpetrolautomanualvariants1.jpg

Source: Rushlane

Last edited by pannags : 19th July 2019 at 12:33.
Old 19th July 2019, 13:13   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
From one of the many lists doing rounds:

Attachment 1896172

Source: Rushlane
Is 1.5 Petrol part of GT Line? The other list doesn't say so. This is as confusing as it can get on a variant list.

It seems that we have two very contradictory list.
Old 19th July 2019, 13:17   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia is using "Badass by Design" as their tagline. Seems like myopic and impulsive marketing to me.

Straightway, you have turned off quite a section of the prospective customer base who do not want to be "badasses"! I am myself a bit uncomfortable to be lining up to buy the "badass" car. My relative in small town India asked if it meant the rear design is bad! I am not sure if the women in the market care to be in a "badass" car either.

Perhaps they want to hint that the design is "angry" and "evil" looking, but as far as I can see it is quite cheerful (?)
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 14:17   #1073
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
The GTK is supposed to get the 17 inch 10 spoke hyper metallic alloy while the higher two GT variants get the 17 inch sporty crystal cut alloy. The above list is easy to understand although it has it's share of errors, like stating no alloy against the GTK variant

Quote:
Is 1.5 Petrol part of GT Line?
GT line is the exclusive variant for 1.4 turbo petrol engine.
Old 19th July 2019, 14:47   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Kia India has officially confirmed that Features & Specifications of Seltos will be shared in 3rd Week of August.

All the Feature List running around are just speculative. Dealers have also not been communicated about the feature list etc.

A Top Dealer has confirmed me.

Source - Kia on Twitter.
CarguyNish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 16:17   #1075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Kia is using "Badass by Design" as their tagline. Seems like myopic and impulsive marketing to me.

Straightway, you have turned off quite a section of the prospective customer base who do not want to be "badasses"! I am myself a bit uncomfortable to be lining up to buy the "badass" car. My relative in small town India asked if it meant the rear design is bad! I am not sure if the women in the market care to be in a "badass" car either.

Perhaps they want to hint that the design is "angry" and "evil" looking, but as far as I can see it is quite cheerful (?)
You've nailed it!

I happened to chance upon a top Kia India Executive's LinkedIn post for when they'd launched a new car (I didn't pay attention to the model). It was a self-congratulatory LinkedIn post with scores of marketers congratulating the guy and his team.

What my eyes did see was the various finger gestures the Kia employees were showing; there were maybe 8 of them (including the Executive) and all of them were depicting alphabets with their fingers. Maybe it was supposed to read "Kia"...

What it also reminds one of are the deadly drug-peddling, murdering, street gangs of America and Europe. The Cripps cup their palms and pose for pics such that "C" (for "cripps") can be made out when they pose. It goes on, with other ways to depict deadly gangs such as the Bloods, the Los Solvidados, the Aryan Brotherhood, the Latin Kings etc.

No other category of groups on earth depicts anything with their fingers/hands when posing in pics except for street gangs and prison gangs.

Now Kia is one among them, and they're "badass by design" apparently.

So much for branding sense.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 16:27   #1076
BHPian

Branding campaign has begun in Delhi.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-8cfad7127aad42539fb43bcf49c6a2cc.jpeg
NAVREVV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 16:43   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Why do I feel like that hoarding is going fall anytime soon?

I shown couple of Seltos videos to my wife. She hated all chrome, cuts, and creases on the exterior. Her comment was "we will be fed up with these exterior design elements within couple of days after buying"
Old 19th July 2019, 16:56   #1078
BHPian

The “Tiger Nose” grill element of Kia doesn’t seem to be a totally original idea, probably inspired. Notice the Dodge at the bottom left of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-48e59d1815aa4ad89ecd83e0d025db4c.jpeg  

maven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 16:59   #1079
BHPian

I personally love the use of BADASS, like who doesn't wanna be one? I'm a very different customer.
Old 19th July 2019, 20:06   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

Agree. Very few customers are going to get their brand message and I seriously dont know what these marketing guys smoke before they come up with these brilliant ideas. This is like the faux pas which Skoda committed when they launched their "Laura" in India !! (The Octavia tag now is much better now)
Auto companies need to get some better marketing guys and agencies on board. The kind of money these guys spend on TV airtime and print advertising is mind boggling. If I were to estimate the launch campaign costs of a brand like MG or Kia it would be upwards of 500cr in a year which is much more than the turnover of many companies! If only they would do some research on campaign ideas before they put them on air!
Seriously many people will be laughing their ----- off when asked to explain what "badass" means literally in Hindi..
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks