Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2019, 19:01   #2461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthu88 View Post
I test drove the DCT, amazing turbo kicks in at 1500 rpm, had to drive the car in eco mode to have a linear power delivery. Suspension didn't feel the best over pot holes, I had driven the Civic on the same road and it was way better. In terms of engine and gear shifts it was unparalleled, will be very hard to top the ride quality.
The ride could be unsettling as the tyre pressure is set to up to 50 psi. Check the tpms and you will notice over inflated tyres.

That could contribute to suspension issue but that is just a guess
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 20:22   #2462
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

I test drove the GTX+ manual today. It was a very short drive but this is what I think about it:

EXTERIOR:
The car surely looks great, it is definitely a head turner, especially at night. The alloys wheels along with the red brake calipers give it a nice sporty feel. The LED tail lights and head lights look premium. The height of the car is lower than the competition but the sitting position is commanding, like an SUV should be.

INTERIOR:
The materials used are premium, atleast in most spaces:

BUILD QUALITY- Quite good, will wait for the crash test rating to comment further.

TOUCHSCREEN- The 10.25 inch screen is good but I would want it to be slightly more intuitive. I want a few physical buttons as well (this is going to be the general trend, though)

MID- I absolutely love the 7 inch MID in the central console. The animations along with the information that is displayed looks quite premium and is certainly a segment first.

HUD- A nice addition for a car in this segment but it can be adjusted in a very limited manner that may not suit everyone's driving position.

BLIND SPOT MONITOR- A nice addition, but nothing great in my opinion.

360° CAMERA- A nice feature to have, but you can live without it.

BOSE SOUND SYSTEM- I did not find a lot of difference between the standard system (4 speakers+2 tweeters) and the Bose system (6 Speakers+2 tweeters+ subwoofer).

AMBIENT AND MOOD LIGHTING- Ambient lighting is a nice feature to have, makes the car look premium. It looks pretty good at night. Mood lighting is ok, not a fan of the system.

STEERING- The buttons on the steering have a nice tactile feel to them and the steering can be adjusted with tilt and telescopic functions.

SEATING- The seats are well bolstered but may be a problem for tall passengers in terms of thigh support. (I am 5.9")
Leg space is good for a car this size, on par with Creta. Electrically adjustable seats are ok, nothing great. The manual adjustment works just fine.

AIR PURIFIER- The air purifier along with the perfume dispenser is nicely integrated in the central arm rest. It is not loud and I don't know whether it is effective.

AC- The air conditioning is powerful, Hyundai like cooling.

STORAGE SPACES- Quite good for a car this size.

DRIVE:
CHASSIS- The chassis of the car seems really stiff which helps its dynamics.

ENGINE- The 1.4l turbo petrol engine is punchy and rev-happy. I did rev the car upto 5500 rpm, it felt quite natural and sounded good. The power delivery is linear and largely, the turbo lag is not noticeable .

TRANSMISSION- The gear changes are smooth and the clutch is light, although the play is long which can be irritating in traffic. The metal pedals feel good.

RIDE QUALITY- This is one area where I think the Seltos scores over the competition. The tuning is really good and the car felt quite comfortable to drive, even over rough patches of road.

STEERING: The steering is light and has good feedback (better than the Creta), it should weight up a bit at high speeds but I would like a bit more feedback from it for greater confidence.

CABIN NOISE- The car is well insulated and cabin noise is quite low.

HEADLIGHTS- Auto headlights are a good addition and the throw is pretty good atleast by initial impressions.

FUEL EFFICIENCY- The test car was displaying a figure of 6.8 kmpl, it should be giving about 10-12 kmpl in the city, I think and about 14-15 kmpl on the highway.

The only problems I have are-
1) The Tech line does not have enough safety features for a car that is that expensive.
2) Some feature distribution over the variants is quite problematic (why can't I get black seats in the HTX version?)
3) Some variants are pretty expensive for what they offer.

Overall, I am pretty impressed by the Seltos. The pricing of the car (certain versions) seems fair when you look at the competition. You get a BS6 engine with some segment first features and a overall premium feel that the competition does not have.

I am now confused about choosing the right variant. If I keep safety and features in mind, I like the GTX variant, but at 18 lakhs OTR, I don't know. (I want a petrol engine with manual transmission, auto is too expensive)
The HTX variant misses out on the 7 inch MID, safety features, a puchy engine and gets light coloured seats (which I don't want) but at 15.5 lakhs OTR, is it a better choice?

I hope we can get a official Team BHP review quickly.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 22:36   #2463
Distinguished - BHPian

We have been continuously hearing from various members that the Bose system is nothing great. What is the reason behind that? Bose as a brand is definitely premium. I agree many feel it is over rated for the price it sells but for a regular ear, Bose is good enough. Why then this constant observation? Have they really come out with a bad inferior entry level product and are instead just banking on the brand name? For example, most members were praises for the sound system in Tata cars these days. I would have assumed that a Bose set up would sound better than most other offerings.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 23:03   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
We have been continuously hearing from various members that the Bose system is nothing great. What is the reason behind that? Bose as a brand is definitely premium. I agree many feel it is over rated for the price it sells but for a regular ear, Bose is good enough. Why then this constant observation? Have they really come out with a bad inferior entry level product and are instead just banking on the brand name? For example, most members were praises for the sound system in Tata cars these days. I would have assumed that a Bose set up would sound better than most other offerings.
My opinion on the Bose system changed recently when I heard the stock system. The arkyms system was playing at the top volume of 45 yet very average quality. The Bose speaker system is a bit high on treble however delivers a lot better sound quality for the premium.

Worth the extra money. I still think that the htx+ diesel is the variant to go for. The gtx+ in petrol DCT and diesel will cross 20 and 21 lacs OTR Delhi which is expensive for what it offers.

Another issue which kia has caused is by only sending HTE and HTK+ variants across dealers. They are now forced to push for htx+ and no clue about htx+ or GTX+ auto.
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 23:32   #2465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post
The HTX variant misses out on the 7 inch MID, safety features, a puchy engine and gets light coloured seats (which I don't want) but at 15.5 lakhs OTR, is it a better choice?

I hope we can get a official Team BHP review quickly.
How does the 3.5 inch MID compare with the 7 inch colour MID? Is the only difference the size and the fact that's it's a colour display?

Atleast the HTX does get the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, even with the 3.5 inch monochrome MID.

I'm also looking at the HTX Diesel. At 16.5 lakhs, it's the maximum I can extend my budget as I don't see value beyond that. I'm already paying 4 lakhs more than the base variant for the same engine.
Old 1st September 2019, 01:04   #2466

If anyone is interested, the owners manual is available in Play Store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....kia.mowners.p

Soft copy can be downloaded from https://www.kia.com/in/service/servi...rs-manual.html too.
kottan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 01:21   #2467
Distinguished - BHPian

Seltos 1.5 D MT vs Creta 1.6 D MT Comparison by Autocar India

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190901_011228.jpg

Creta has got slightly better 0-100 timings (10.81 vs 11.21) while Seltos managed quicker in gear acceleration timings. Refinement is better in Seltos as per the review.

As expected, Seltos has got better dynamics too

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-com...parison-413976

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st September 2019 at 01:27.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 01:59   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
We have been continuously hearing from various members that the Bose system is nothing great. What is the reason behind that?
The Bose system is definitely different than the regular offering, with 4 speakers, 2 tweeters, a central speaker and a subwoofer, the system is powerful enough at 400W for really good sound. My point is that the regular system with 4 speakers and 2 tweeters is good enough for most people, including me. If one is an audiophile and really wants top of the line equipment, probably the HTX+/GTX+ makes sense.

I am also looking at this against the backdrop of the cost involved of getting that system (Is it worth 1.5 lakh rupees extra OTR over the lower variant?
One can get really awesome audio systems outside and get it fitted later, I have seen maruti's with absolutely amazing audio systems fitted later on at a much cheaper price)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
How does the 3.5 inch MID compare with the 7 inch colour MID? Is the only difference the size and the fact that's it's a colour display?

Atleast the HTX does get the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, even with the 3.5 inch monochrome MID.

I'm also looking at the HTX Diesel. At 16.5 lakhs, it's the maximum I can extend my budget as I don't see value beyond that. I'm already paying 4 lakhs more than the base variant for the same engine.
I haven't seen the complete functionality of the 3.5 inch MID, but it looks quite dull especially when you look at it after seeing the 7 inch one
(I mean if I am buying a car that expensive, which I intend to keep for a long time, I might as well spend to get the features that I want, that make it different than the competition and give it a premium feel, but this has to be justified by the cost one is paying and the budget as well)

It won't make much of a difference in your case IMO, because the Diesel engine available only on the Tech line will not get you any of the safety features in the HTX+ trim.
It has some changes which may not be worth 1.5 lakh rupees OTR (ventilated seats, bose system, 7 inch MID, sunroof, wireless charger, electrically powered front seats, ultimately your call to make)

For petrol buyers who have a choice between the 1.4l turbo petrol and 1.5l petrol, this is the difference between the GTX and HTX trim:

GTX (₹17,89,296) and HTX (₹15,33,691)

DIFFERENCE- ₹2,55,605 (OTR Prices in Mumbai)

You get these things in the GTX that you don't get in the HTX.

1) A puchy 1.4l turbo engine over 1.5l normally aspirated engine
2) Brake assist
3) ESC
4) HAC
5) VSM
6) Side and curtain airbags (6 over 2)
7) Black seats over beige seats
8) A few cosmetic exterior changes
9) Sporty alloys+red brake callipers
10) Alloy pedals
11) Solar glass
12) Rain sensing wipers
13) 7 inch MID
14) HUD
15) Wireless charger

This is my conundrum

1) Which one would you choose and why?
2) Do you see any possibility of any discounts or offers on the Seltos by Diwali?
Old 1st September 2019, 09:02   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post

I haven't seen the complete functionality of the 3.5 inch MID, but it looks quite dull especially when you look at it after seeing the 7 inch one

It won't make much of a difference in your case IMO, because the Diesel engine available only on the Tech line will not get you any of the safety features in the HTX+ trim.
It has some changes which may not be worth 1.5 lakh rupees OTR (ventilated seats, bose system, 7 inch MID, sunroof, wireless charger, electrically powered front seats, ultimately your call to make)

1) Which one would you choose and why?
2) Do you see any possibility of any discounts or offers on the Seltos by Diwali?
The 7 inch colour MID looks pretty cool and flashy but unfortunately, it's not available on the HTX Diesel, the variant I'm looking to buy.

I'm waiting for someone to take delivery of the HTX version so that I can see more shots and details about the 3.5 inch MID. The HTX has the Tyre pressure indicator so that's a feature I was hoping to see.

If I compare with the base variant, the HTX is around 16.5 lakhs on Road in Delhi, so I'm already paying 4 Lakhs for a car with the same engine - the entire amount is a premium only for features! And I still don't get proper safety features as the high end GT variants like 6 airbags , hill hold assist etc. Pretty appalling!

Barring the lack of safety features, I found the HTX to be the most value for money variant.

The difference between this and the HTX+ is a further 1.2 lakhs , with additional features like:

1. Rear spoiler - Not a deal braker
2. Sunroof - Passable. In comparison, the Hector's sunroof is impressive.
3. Front parking sensor - not a necessity
4. UV protected windshield - would have been nice to have
5. 7 inch colour MID - This looks pretty slick
6. Wireless charger - Don't need it
7. Ventilated seats - It's a nice feature. But not a necessity.
8. Bose speakers - People are saying it's average so...
9. Driver seat electric adjust - Manual is fine

The list is decent for the premium charged, but I just don't see any value in paying so much extra just for features. Would have paid the premium blindly if it had all the safety kit as well.
coolkurt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 09:21   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Deliveries have started as I spotted a white Seltos on road in Bangalore today. White doesn't impress at all, and they got the shade wrong. Plus the bling makes for an eyesore. The best shade is Gray, in my opinion.
Old 1st September 2019, 09:57   #2471
BHPian

I had prebooked on the opening day, and have been following up with JSP Kia on Hosur Road regularly. No idea about delivery dates on my variant (1.5D AT HTX+) - guy first said September 2nd week, now Oct 2nd week etc. I'm left to wonder if sales is like this, whether service experience will be organized. Waiting for 2 weeks to see if things change. Another option I'm considering is to stick to Toyota and get an Innova Crysta.
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 10:55   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Had been keenly following the Seltos pre launch and then the launch and i must say it has created a real buzz ! Its feature packed and a great package for the market. Probably the best of the lot given the current competition. (feature wise, price wise)

I bought a Civic earlier this year and when the Seltos launched with Bose Soundsystem, cooled seats etc, i was wondering why id paid almost 5 lakhs more for a Civic ! My brother who drives a Compass was left wondering why his Compass cost almost 3 Lakhs more than a Seltos ?

Then came the answer yesterday when i finally sat in the car in a mall, How has Kia is managed to price it low (i know people may differ in their opinions but i feel its well priced given the fact that i paid 14 Lakhs for a Duster not too many years back) ?

The answer is simple- They have used a thinner sheet metal compared to the Jeep, the Compass has heavy doors with proper thuds ! The interior plastic (although very well finished, proper korean quality) are hard and thin. Im not saying this will be a deal breaker for me but these factors do explain why Jeep isn't priced at Seltos levels. Simple ! Lets put it this way, the build quality difference is what one has experienced with the City vs Vento (interior & exterior wise)
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 11:05   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sat in the car yesterday and we couldn't raise the volume because the car was displayed in a mall but i get why the sound wouldn't be great. The first thing that came to mind when i saw the speakers was that the speaker is mounted below a hard layer of plastic (the door pads) and there is absolutely no insulation inside (you can sense the thinness of the door pad and the door by simply doing a thak thak with your knuckles). Even average quality speakers can generate great sound if they get insulation inside the door pad. I have experience much superior base and noise cancellation with insulation in my Civic (which i got from the after market) . The more expensive cars have the advantage of thick door pads which are padded with leather or layers of plastic plus the sheet metal is proper thick.
Old 1st September 2019, 11:30   #2474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Deliveries have started as I spotted a white Seltos on road in Bangalore today. White doesn't impress at all, and they got the shade wrong. Plus the bling makes for an eyesore. The best shade is Gray, in my opinion.
I'm waiting to see the red one on road. It looks decent imho. The grey looks great but my current civic is grey so I'm a bit tired of the colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
I had prebooked on the opening day, and have been following up with JSP Kia on Hosur Road regularly. No idea about delivery dates on my variant (1.5D AT HTX+) - guy first said September 2nd week, now Oct 2nd week etc. I'm left to wonder if sales is like this, whether service experience will be organized. Waiting for 2 weeks to see if things change. Another option I'm considering is to stick to Toyota and get an Innova Crysta.
Here in delhi, dealers are saying HTK is available in September itself while HTX and the plus customers will have to wait till October.
Old 1st September 2019, 11:40   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Does anyone have any idea about the actual delivery start date for seltos?

Are they really ready for delivery. They have done the release in phases to keep the market engaged, but no dates for delivery to customers. Will it happen in September?

Keenly waiting for a very detailed review from teambhp team
I went to NCS Kia Trivandrum last Thursday and there were some ready to be delivered. I had prebooked for 1.5 D HTK+ variant and they said mine would be delivered within a week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That is disappointing since I have already booked for the white Seltos. I felt the red one also looks good but don't want to buy another red car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed