Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2019, 19:07   #3841
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Hi everyone, this is my first post. A big thank you to the moderators for accepting my application! Took delivery of my Seltos GTX+ on 3rd October. Coming from a 2009 i20, it's a huge upgrade! I'm planning to create a ownership review soon after my exams end.
BZ25 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 20:23   #3842
Distinguished - BHPian

Potential Diesel engine issues

I got the the first service done for my 1350km run Seltos D MT today, at Vihaan Kia Hyd. While I was there, I saw another diesel MT Seltos where some tests were being performed. I chatted with the owner who said the car has run for approx 3500 kms and he has got the engine check light thrice in this period. Company says it is fuel issue and he didn’t sound angry or disappointed about this experience. He was happy with the car.

Later I checked with my SA about that car and he mentioned that the BS4 fuel with higher sulphur was choking the DPF and triggering the check engine light. This will happen until we get BS6 fuel.

Anyone else faced this issue?

Last edited by ashis89 : 9th November 2019 at 20:25.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 21:41   #3843
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Potential Diesel engine issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Later I checked with my SA about that car and he mentioned that the BS4 fuel with higher sulphur was choking the DPF and triggering the check engine light. This will happen until we get BS6 fuel.

Anyone else faced this issue?
This is one issue which an engineer of a leading automaker recently told me. He said that they are ready with BS6 rollout for diesels but running BS6 diesel car on BS4 fuel will play havoc with the after treatment system of the vehicle. No such issue with petrol BS6 cars. This is why many manufacturers are refraining from launching BS6 diesels now and are waiting for BS6 fuel to be made available.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 22:09   #3844

Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum and a big thanks to the mods for approving the request. Besides, this thread has played a big role in convincing that the decision to get the Seltos was a good one.

Got the delivery for my GTX+ DCT a month back and got a chance to take a nice 800 km drive back and forth from Bengaluru to Palakkad and back. The ride was definitely great barring two minor oddities.
Wondering if anyone ran into these as well and if there is any workaround.
1. Constant beeps if the speed exceeds the speed limit for the road detected by the navigation
2. Constant beeps when you hit or exceed 120kmph

I got over # 1 by plugging in my apple car play and using the navigation from the phone. However, it would be good to have an option to turn off navigation or speed alerts.

For # 2, i do understand that this is a govt mandated rule for manufacturers. However, is there an option to reduce the volume of those beeps. it really does a good job of ensuring that one doesn't exceed 120 kmph, however, for the kind of roads that one finds in the Bengaluru-Coimbatore stretch, 120 seems like being constrained.
Old 9th November 2019, 22:19   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
he mentioned that the BS4 fuel with higher sulphur was choking the DPF and triggering the check engine light. This will happen until we get BS6 fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
This is why many manufacturers are refraining from launching BS6 diesels now and are waiting for BS6 fuel to be made available.
Refer to the article I have linked below.

Quote:
The older generation BS4 diesel has five times the sulphur content (50ppm) as compared to BS6 (10ppm).
A diesel engine employs an injector to ionize fuel for combustion. Sulphur acts as a lubricant for diesel injectors.
The use of BS6 diesel in older generation BS4 cars will cause the injector to wear out prematurely as low sulphur in the fuel will lead to less lubrication.
This article may also be found on the BS6 fuel thread on this forum.

Source: ET Article on BS6
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 22:26   #3846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is one issue which an engineer of a leading automaker recently told me. He said that they are ready with BS6 rollout for diesels but running BS6 diesel car on BS4 fuel will play havoc with the after treatment system of the vehicle. No such issue with petrol BS6 cars. This is why many manufacturers are refraining from launching BS6 diesels now and are waiting for BS6 fuel to be made available.

Regards,
Shashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Refer to the article I have linked below.

This article may also be found on the BS6 fuel thread on this forum.

Source: ET Article on BS6
I had gone through the BS6 fuel thread and the posts. However I also read that KIA had successfully tested the Seltos with the available BS4 fuel.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 22:44   #3847
BHPian

Hi fellow bhpians, A big thank you to the moderators for accepting my application! Finally, after a 3-month wait, I've got the call from the KIA dealer stating my silver GTX+7DCT (P) is on the way. I had lost all hope with KIA and the dealer in the way things were handled and communicated. And finally was on the verge of booking some other car (was juggling between Civic, Elantra etc). I was hell bend if it is a Seltos it would only be the top-end. The exec tried multiple tricks to make me migrate to the low-end models. Even the tech line!! I was adamant on the top GT since it had features that appeal to each member of the family. Elders wanted safety features since the love of their kids being safe. The kid wanted sunroof and tech features. Wife wanted something new and didn't want to be part of the herd (i don't think so, after seeing the no of Seltos on-road) and I wanted a future proof, top-end automatic which is fun to ride on highway, long-rides, city, hilly etc. After migrating from a beasty Scorpio, and having a fluidic Verna, & Swift in the garage wanted to have another SUV which is fun to ride. The Mahindras are a pain when it comes to the heavy clutch and the frequent rattles. That's their DNA. We have to live with it. So hopefully I should get hold of the Seltos in 10 days time and will keep you posted on every aspect of delivery, ride etc. Keep tuned
Tjv777 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 22:54   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
No such issue with petrol BS6 cars.
While most of the mainstream BS6 petrol cars have old school MPFI engines that may run on BS4 petrol comfortably, the ability of BS6 Turbo Direct Injection petrol engines like Seltos' 1.4T-GDI to run on BS4 petrol remains to be seen.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 23:06   #3849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
While most of the mainstream BS6 petrol cars have old school MPFI engines that may run on BS4 petrol comfortably, the ability of BS6 Turbo Direct Injection petrol engines like Seltos' 1.4T-GDI to run on BS4 petrol remains to be seen.
There's no issues with petrol and even diesel the higher sulphur will just choke the DPF earlier.

For petrol the difference in the fuels is very less between BS4 and BS6.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 05:55   #3850
BHPian

Has anyone in this forum upgraded from a 16" to 17" OEM wheels on their HTK trims ? If yes, then how much did it cost for the upgrade ?

Another thought process: HTK trims and below get a 16" set of wheels by default. The higher variants >= HTX get the 17". If we are comparing alloy wheels, MT in both levels, the same driving technique, and the same route taken to drive, will there be a slight dip in FE considering the larger wheel base, added weight of the extra 1" on the wheel and other small factors ? ARAI figures are reporting the same values for both trims.
Old 10th November 2019, 09:02   #3851
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Got my GTX+ dct delivered on 18 October 2019. Had booked it on 30 June 2019 at sparsh kia.

Overall experience was outstanding and very helpful staff specially bhramdeep Singh who was my sales rep.

Completed 1200 kms till date with average running of 85 kms /day

F.E. :- got 13 kmpl ( tankful to tankful )

Very happy with the vehicle and tyre upgrade ( 225/55 R17)
Hello Sir, Car looks great on 225's.

I woukd like to add that 225/60 R17 is also a size to take into consideration & it has overall higher sidewall by 6mm which intern be beneficial for cushioning over not so good roads in our country.
Have experienced very good results with higher sidewall upgrades.

Speedo error will be very minimal & won't be a issue. Also Seltos does have enough wheelwell clearance.

Yokohama Earth 1 is one great Tire. But somehow it is overshadowed by bigshots. I am on 4th set of earth1's on 2 different cars with 60k plus on each set without a single punture!

So fellow bhpians looking for an upgrade do consider Yokohama Earth1 for Seltos & size 225/60 R17.

Regards,
Rohit!
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-screenshot_20191110084220.png  

SequentialShift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 13:40   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzrulz555 View Post
Has anyone in this forum upgraded from a 16" to 17" OEM wheels on their HTK trims ? If yes, then how much did it cost for the upgrade ?
Does upgrading tyres affect the warranty? That's what the dealership executive mentioned? But he is always on the safe side.

Just came across this article in GaadiWaadi. Just released. Pretty disappointing. To bring a positive side to it. Just a few negative remarks out of the 60,000 KIAs to be on-road is ignorable. And if you type issues on any new launches or existing, there are lots of cons. Check Compas, Creta, Innova etc. That's how it is. Some media always tries to pull down a good brand. We all know KIA is a Hyundai /Genesis brand, and they're here to stay and rock the Indian market. There would be issues when you try to gain a large market share within a short period of time, and also when people who have not driven a certain kind of tech and get it for the 1st time. Have you read about issues on AMT, CVT!! But consumers are ready to buy those as well. So if you all read this, i don't think we need to worry much about it. I might face issues too, but there are ways to sort it out. Just the way I managed to chase the dealer, regional heads, CMO, communication manager etc when I knew the delivery part with KIA is chaotic. Here is the link: https://gaadiwaadi.com/7-common-prob...cing-in-india/ S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SequentialShift View Post
Hello Sir, Car looks great on 225's.

I woukd like to add that 225/60 R17 is also a size to take into consideration & it has overall higher sidewall by 6mm which intern be beneficial for cushioning over not so good roads in our country.
Have experienced very good results with higher sidewall upgrades.

Speedo error will be very minimal & won't be a issue. Also Seltos does have enough wheelwell clearance.

!
Hope the warranty doesn't get affected. I'm planning to do as well, but just want to be on cent per cent sure.

Last edited by ajmat : 10th November 2019 at 14:20.
Tjv777 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 16:08   #3853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjv777 View Post
Does upgrading tyres affect the warranty? That's what the dealership executive mentioned? But he is always on the safe side.

Hope the warranty doesn't get affected. I'm planning to do as well, but just want to be on cent per cent sure.
In the initial inquiry, the SA had mentioned " with a grin" that we can upgrade the wheels and it will be covered under warranty if it is done by them..

Let me see if I can get something on paper from their side.
Old 10th November 2019, 16:38   #3854
BHPian

I completed 1400km and first service for my HTX+ 1.5D AT. Service was attended to very well (much better than Sales experience) at the dealership. Decided to add anti-rust coating at the undercarriage - I am happy with the work quality. May be because car did a 350km drive right after the service, I can still get that coating smell a little bit on the outside. Paid some 2500 for it - comes with 5yr warranty.

Before
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-before.jpg
After
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-after.jpg

After first service, fuel efficiency seemed to have dropped from 17.5kmpl (mostly highways) to 16.1 (again on highways) - could be due to increased speeds in driving.

Summarizing likes below:
  1. Great looks and interior.
  2. Sorted highway ride with a nice steering to hold (not exactly very direct)
  3. Sorted suspension for highways.
  4. Reasonably silent highway ride. Most noise is from tyres. Will change to Yokohama C-Drive or Earth after 20K
  5. Comfortable seats for family - 5.5" to 5.7" is the height range.
  6. A/C is very good and effective.
  7. Superb headlights
  8. Center console and the multimedia system is very useful.
  9. Air purifier certainly seems to do its job
  10. Sunroof is quite nice. Wind noise is not too much either on speeds below 85kmph. Keeping the glass alone closed is simply very nice during rains.
  11. Bose audio. After some tweaks, it has excellent clarity and fidelity. Not for bass lovers though.
  12. Well loaded with features. Other than floor mats, you really don't need any accessory for this version. I added the window side protector - was afraid it will add to wind noise. It didn't and is doing a great job of providing some shade when setting sun is on my right for almost 1 hour during evening drives.
  13. Seat ventillation is excellent during afternoon. It is effective for 15 minutes and then you get used to it. I switch it off to again miss it for some time
  14. Very responsive AT that is peaceful to drive. Before enthusiasts disagree, my other car is an A-Star AT. Anything that can get me out of tricky highway situations and is peaceful is good enough for me these days.
  15. Didn't think cruise control will be useful in Indian highways. I am actually loving it - could be due to my driving hours which are generally not during peak hours.
  16. UVO app is pretty good and informative.

What I don't like:
  1. Only one backlit button on window armrest. Seriously? For a 20L on-road car? I can't see anything on the panel unless I turn on the overhead lamp at night. This is such a stupid cost cutting measure.
  2. Wiper should've had one more high speed setting. Had to drive through heavy rains on highways. Not effective as much as my old Innova - which had a VH speed setting.
  3. Would've loved to have a setting that keeps DRLs and fog lamps alone on, for dawn and dusk riding. Fog lamps need head lamps to be on.
  4. Rear suspension is a bit "boat" like on slow speed braking, when I am not carrying passengers.
  5. HTK+ makes more sense as a VFM option than HTX or HTX+. I decided to just go with the heart for this model. Didn't like the 1.4T petrol engine's noise and was not confident about DCT. Needed torquey engine for frequent hill drives - went for Diesel.
  6. The main multimedia screen is not quite visible under heavy sun light. Moreover, it reflects passenger seat backrest a bit (mine is beige in color). Perhaps black backrest will help till you get a passenger wearing whites.
  7. Android Auto projection seems to work only on USB and not on Bluetooth. I don't know if it is like this in other cars, but it is a pain to have phone getting charged due to this for long drives. Also, in projection mode, the button on the steering for next song takes a bit to update on the display - phone reboot helps.
  8. The play list control buttons on the steering are odd. Down arrow goes to next song and up arrow goes to beginning of current song. To me, this should've been opposite.
  9. Navigation is with updated maps (at least on places I have gone), but traffic and routing is not even close to google. I switched to Google pretty quickly.

Signing off with a PJ featuring my phone and my car.
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-pj.jpg
vsbabu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 18:26   #3855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhsirk View Post
Wondering if anyone ran into these as well and if there is any workaround.
1. Constant beeps if the speed exceeds the speed limit for the road detected by the navigation
2. Constant beeps when you hit or exceed 120kmph
Hello Everyone! This is my first post here and thanks to the moderators who accepted my Membership request.

I prebooked seltos during the month of July and took delivery during September. I own GTX+ MT Intense Red. Completed around 2000 kilometers till now and experience has been quite excellent till now.

Regarding the beep sound faced by Anshirk when the speed crosses the speed limit of a spcific road, this can be turned off in the navigation settings.
But the beep sound at 80kmph and 120kmph cannot be done so as per the govt norms.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2019 at 06:29. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
aswinpattath is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks