Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2019, 20:59   #3496
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
I got these Kia original carpet mats. I think they are decent enough for ₹1700. The quality feels good and have spikes underneath to hold them onto place. The contrasting design looks polarising in pics but quite subtle in real.
These look anyday better than the D mat collection. I will fit these mats when the car arrives. Had pre booked the car (gtx+ dct) on 3rd of august and yet no sign. Really disappointed with Kia.
Old 20th October 2019, 22:46   #3497
pms
BHPian

Hello all, it's my second post in this forum. Am planning to book a GTX+ DCT this Diwali. But am really confused now whether to go for the DCT considering the transmission heat issues being discussed on the net. This is for my daily office run in B2B traffic in Bangalore and it seems DCT is not suitable for crawling traffic as the transmission gets heated up. This defeats the primary purpose of having an automatic. I currently own a 7 year old Honda City and wanted to change to an automatic SUV. Was impressed with Seltos DCT and its features during my test drive. Request your valuable inputs whether DCT is suitable for B2B traffic or should I test drive the IVT and TC.
Old 20th October 2019, 23:28   #3498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Hello all, it's my second post in this forum. Am planning to book a GTX+ DCT this Diwali. But am really confused now whether to go for the DCT considering the transmission heat issues being discussed on the net. This is for my daily office run in B2B traffic in Bangalore and it seems DCT is not suitable for crawling traffic as the transmission gets heated up. This defeats the primary purpose of having an automatic. I currently own a 7 year old Honda City and wanted to change to an automatic SUV. Was impressed with Seltos DCT and its features during my test drive. Request your valuable inputs whether DCT is suitable for B2B traffic or should I test drive the IVT and TC.
As far as my experience says , it is just about management . Like for manual gearbox for long duration, you do not ride on the clutch and move to neutral. Similarly , you also manage the DCT . Rest is all cool. I think you should go for the DCT.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20191020_223213.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20191020_223254.jpg  

Alive2Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 23:54   #3499
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
As far as my experience says , it is just about management . Like for manual gearbox for long duration, you do not ride on the clutch and move to neutral. Similarly , you also manage the DCT . Rest is all cool. I think you should go for the DCT.
Thank you Alive2Drive, from a driving perspective can you help me bit more specific on what adjustments you need to make in B2B traffic using a DCT? I have never driven an auto box extensively other than a Creta Petrol automatic for close to 30Kms in B2B traffic. I never felt any sort of issues here or be watchful while driving and was also impressed with refinement of Creta TC transmission. But DCT is in a different league in terms of gear shifts and power delivery. Can I drive DCT without too much botheration like a TC in City traffic?
Old 21st October 2019, 00:00   #3500
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Alive2Drive, from a driving perspective can you help me bit more specific on what adjustments you need to make in B2B traffic using a DCT? I have never driven an auto box extensively other than a Creta Petrol automatic for close to 30Kms in B2B traffic. I never felt any sort of issues here or be watchful while driving and was also impressed with refinement of Creta TC transmission. But DCT is in a different league in terms of gear shifts and power delivery. Can I drive DCT without too much botheration like a TC in City traffic?
Simple fundamental things to take care of

1. Keep in normal mode not eco mode
2. If in standstill, turn to neutral and move to drive once moving
3. Keep an eye on the transmission temperature

I myself am driving an auto box for the first time hence just learning from experiencing it
Alive2Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 02:19   #3501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
These look anyday better than the D mat collection. I will fit these mats when the car arrives. Had pre booked the car (gtx+ dct) on 3rd of august and yet no sign. Really disappointed with Kia.
I had booked on 21st July and received the car on 17th October, so I guess if you keep putting on intense pressure on the dealer you should receive just after diwali.
Old 21st October 2019, 02:53   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Couple of specific questions about your particular variant (which I am also looking at) if you don't mind:
-Does it have hill launch assist (or whatever Kia calls it)?
-Does it have electronic stability control?
Sorry for the basic questions but the brochure is not detailed enough on the specifications per variant.
Only the GTX and GTX+ get hill assist and ESC. No other variant on the Seltos gets these features.

You can use the compare tab on the Kia website, which is quite helpful for understanding the feature distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_rd View Post
- I am pretty certain that there is no ESC in Diesel AT HTK+. As I know it is only available in GT line (GTX).
- I am not sure on Hill assist. However, tried keeping cat on 20+ Degree uphill and stopping and starting and then releasing the break. The car did not roll back when I removed break totally. With this I am assuming that hill hold assist is present. But my basics on Hill hold assist may need some education.
An automatic transmission by nature will prevent immediate rolling back of a car on a hill but not for long. This happens because of the mechanical construction of the transmission and how it is mated to the axle. (Includes traditional TC's, IVT/CVT and DCT/DSG)

A car with hill assist will have the central computer unit actively give a command and prevent rollback and will do so for a considerable amount of time.

I drove the HTX manual and tried starting the car from a standstill on a slope and the car rolled back as it did not have hill assist, the mechanical construction of a manual gearbox with the way its mated to the axle cannot prevent a rollback.

I hope this helps.

On a side note,
Any review of the HTX IVT variant? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Vedant Gupta : 21st October 2019 at 02:56. Reason: Needed to add content that I missed earlier.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 06:02   #3503
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Alive2Drive, from a driving perspective can you help me bit more specific on what adjustments you need to make in B2B traffic using a DCT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Simple fundamental things to take care of

1. Keep in normal mode not eco mode
2. If in standstill, turn to neutral and move to drive once moving
3. Keep an eye on the transmission temperature

I myself am driving an auto box for the first time hence just learning from experiencing it
I had a longish discussion with the service advisor on this during our introductory call. I’ve been in similar situations and haven’t had the transmission heat up. You don’t even need to put it in neutral - just fully depress the brake (all the way) when at a standstill. You will notice that when you fully depress the brake, and take your foot off, it doesn’t creep forward. That’s because the clutches are disengaged. Apart from creeping, Eco mode is the biggest culprit, for some reason. See all the pictures that people have posted online of transmissions heating up. All were driving in eco mode.

Last edited by ADB : 21st October 2019 at 06:02. Reason: Typo
ADB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 07:06   #3504
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB View Post
I had a longish discussion with the service advisor on this during our introductory call. I’ve been in similar situations and haven’t had the transmission heat up. You don’t even need to put it in neutral - just fully depress the brake (all the way) when at a standstill. You will notice that when you fully depress the brake, and take your foot off, it doesn’t creep forward. That’s because the clutches are disengaged. Apart from creeping, Eco mode is the biggest culprit, for some reason. See all the pictures that people have posted online of transmissions heating up. All were driving in eco mode.
Thanks for the info, need to take test drive of DCT once again keeping these tips in mind and observe how the transmission temp changes. One more question, does sport mode make any difference while driving in B2B traffic other than fuel efficiency hit?
Old 21st October 2019, 07:43   #3505
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info, need to take test drive of DCT once again keeping these tips in mind and observe how the transmission temp changes. One more question, does sport mode make any difference while driving in B2B traffic other than fuel efficiency hit?
Apart from being unsafe, it will be tough to control the sport mode in B2B traffic as the throttle is very responsive. The gears wouldn’t upshift that easily either. So you will be throttling at 5k RPM with the engine whining and it wouldn’t upshift. I don’t recommend doing that at all. Sports mode should be used only when you have a clear road and considerable distance between you and the other vehicles.
ADB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 09:30   #3506
BHPian

Folks, I had booked a GTX DCT in July. A car was alloted to me few weeks back and it's in stockyard since Sept 17th(I decoded the VIN using the official Hyundai global site and the date of manufacturing is 10th September).There were some delays on my side related to financing and it may still stay in stockyard for another 10 days or so(as RTO is closed for Diwali etc).

I went to stockyard for inspection just to be sure everything is alright. Just noticed that the wheel discs were rusted(maybe due to persistent rainy weather as the car was stationary for 1.5 months). I assume they will clean this up prior to delivery and it's normal phenomena for wheel discs under zero usage for extended periods.

Let me know your views please.

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited by nitinhegde : 21st October 2019 at 09:32.
Old 21st October 2019, 09:48   #3507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post

Just noticed that the wheel discs were rusted(maybe due to persistent rainy weather as the car was stationary for 1.5 months). I assume they will clean this up prior to delivery and it's normal phenomena for wheel discs under zero usage for extended periods.
The wheel discs will show rust when the car is not moved for a few days and there is some water splash on the discs. It's nothing to worry about. The discs will get cleaned once the car is used and brakes applied. There is no need to clean them except if there is some noise from pads or there is brake binding. Another way is to remove the tyres and manually clean them. I'll prefer the self driven brake application cleaning rather than asking the dealership to remove the tyres and clean it. But you must check about brake binding.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 10:55   #3508
BHPian

A small DIY project I did on Sunday.

Purpose: To install a dash cam on my Seltos with concealed wires but without messing with car wiring.

Equipment:
Aukey DR01 (170° 1080p Dash Cam)
Aukey CC-S1 (Flush-fit Dual Port Car Charger)

Cost:
DR01 - Rs.4500 (I bought this for €55 a couple of months ago during my visit to Ireland; it costs Rs.9000 on Amazon India)
CC-S1 - Rs.450

Time:
45 minutes

Tools: Gerber Dime multi-tool and my hands

Result:

The cam hides behind the IRVM and is non-distracting while driving.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-11.jpg

How it was done:

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-2.jpg

Notice the grooves on the headliner above the IRVM.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-3.jpg

I just tucked in the cable along the edge of the headliner. There is enough space to do it.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-4.jpg

The A-pillar panel can be removed to conceal this as well. But I did not want to remove it. It doesn't look that bad anyway. The wire goes behind the weather stripping.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-5.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-6.jpg

All the way until the end of the dashboard.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-7.jpg

and then under the carpet. The cable was long enough for this route.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-8.jpg

There's no adhesive used. Its just tucked between the two panels.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-9.jpg

There's more cable that I've hidden below the carpet and left just enough length to reach the flush USB charger.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-10.jpg

Here's a short clip from today.

The bad:
- A portion of the Fastag is captured. It doesn't bother but I'll see if I can move the cam to a better position.
- The reflection of the idol and the faux speaker mesh on the windshield is getting captured. Not sure what I can do to avoid this.

The good:
- I guess YouTube has down-scaled the video quality but on my laptop I can pause the video and read the number plates of oncoming and overtaken vehicles pretty easily.
- I have turned on the audio-recording as well, not too worried about conversations getting recorded. But you can hear the indicator sounds around the 22 second mark. It is over low-volume music but still the mic is sensitive enough to record it, which helps in incidents involving a 3rd party debating indicator usage.

Warning:
- The CC-S1 once inserted into the cigarette lighter socket, cannot be removed without damaging either the product itself or the socket.

So I consider the Sunday well spent

Last edited by dksv : 21st October 2019 at 11:16.
dksv is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 12:10   #3509
Distinguished - BHPian

When is the first service due for Seltos Diesel? Is there any mandatory check at the first 1000 km mark? Can I get this check done at 1500 km mark without impacting warranty?

I am expecting my Seltos D1.5 MT at the end of this month post which I will drive down 1200-1400 kms. I want to avoid wasting time in a service/check in between this trip.

Last edited by ashis89 : 21st October 2019 at 12:17.
Old 21st October 2019, 13:30   #3510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post

I drove the HTX manual and tried starting the car from a standstill on a slope and the car rolled back as it did not have hill assist, the mechanical construction of a manual gearbox with the way its mated to the axle cannot prevent a rollback.

I hope this helps.

On a side note,
Any review of the HTX IVT variant? Any help would be appreciated.

How is the HTX manual? Did it ever feel under powered to you? Have booked the same variant but no TD is available for 1.5G MT.

Drove the IVT variant yesterday. Did not disappoint me at all. The engine noise was slightly on the louder side when i just floored the accelerator (Not too much noticeable though). I assume that is because of the IVT transmission. Gear shifts are very smooth. I think IVT is the best for city and B2B traffic, also it is very fuel efficient. The MID of the TD car was showing mileage of 9.9 KM/L, i think which is not bad at all. Only thing i felt lacking in the IVT was the sports mode. It would have been really handy on the highways for quick overhauls. Anyway it was a small TD as many other were waiting to get their hands on the IVT couldn't get a longer one.

Thinking of changing my booking to IVT. This was the first time i ever drove a CVT/IVT vehicle. Can someone throw light on how is the reliability of the CVT/IVT transmissions in the long run?
Kpaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks