Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 20:17   #331
BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze @ Auto Expo 2018. Now launched at Rs 5.60 lakhs

Honda engines especially the ivtec are known for their reliability. I don't think you should be concerned there.
Old 23rd May 2018, 00:44   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Any idea how reliable are these Honda engines.Like a typical Indian buyer, I am looking for a sub-4 meter sedan. My plan is to keep the car for next 10 years with 23K to 25K KMs of annual run. So at the end of 10 years, i will end up somewhere in 2.25L to 2.5L kms range. Any one has seen 2L+ kms on Honda diesel engines? How reliable are they compared to our 1.3L DDiS national engine?
I am a little skeptic about the reliability of i-dtec engine as I haven't seen a single Amaze or City even near the one lakh mark and it's not like they're new anymore. There plenty of people who could've easily clocked those figures nor have I heard anyone keeping the i-dtecs for more than 40,000 kms. Secondly, the resale of i-dtec is lower than i-vtec. Hence, if you're planning for a long term car I would recommend you to get an i-vtec else a reliable Compact Sedan in your budget would be Tigor. I apologise for going off topic here but the car makes a lot of sense and you cannot go wrong with Tata diesels. I know it's a little underpowered comparatively but it would be a cheaper buy too and for the price you would be buying a Dzire LDi, you would easily be able to purchase the XT or XZ variant for that price.

Secondly, if you really want a car with a bigger engine along with Boot Space etc go for the most reliable compact sedan in the industry, the Toyota Etios. It's going to serve you for more than 10 years without a hiccup.

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2018 at 13:49. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 00:56   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I am a little skeptic about the reliability of i-dtec engine as I haven't seen a single Amaze or City even near the one lakh mark and it's not like they're new anymore. There plenty of people who could've easily clocked those figures nor have I heard anyone keeping the i-dtecs for more than 40,000 kms.
My City iDTEC is at almost 90000km now. Engine is pretty much what it was when new - a no frills workhorse. It sounds gruff, but there is adequate punch, little lag and it is easy on the wallet. It only needs regular service and frequent cleaning of the air filter to keep chugging along happily. There is nothing much to complaint except for the noise.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 23rd May 2018 at 01:06.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 01:41   #334
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how reliable are these Honda engines.Like a typical Indian buyer, I am looking for a sub-4 meter sedan. My plan is to keep the car for next 10 years with 23K to 25K KMs of annual run. So at the end of 10 years, i will end up somewhere in 2.25L to 2.5L kms range. Any one has seen 2L+ kms on Honda diesel engines? How reliable are they compared to our 1.3L DDiS national engine?
If you are looking at the base models of the compact sedans, then only the Dzire and the Amaze come equipped with dual airbags and ABS. Among these, the Amaze is definitely the VFM choice. The Dzire LDI doesn't even get a tachometer. If you can look past the 140kmph speed limit on the Amaze, I'd suggest the Amaze. Now, I haven't personally seen an i-Dtec with 2L kms, but I have seen a couple of cabs with ODO at 1.25L kms. I am pretty sure that many first customers(BHPians) of the Amaze diesel would have clocked 1L+ kms on their ride. You might want to ping them via personal message or on their ownership threads.

Btw, if you are willing to compromise on the sedan body form, then the Baleno Delta can also be considered whose price falls between the Amaze E and the Dzire VDI. It comes with a lot of extra and useful feature even over the Dzire VDI and the Amaze S. The Tigor is another choice and you can get the XZ variant in your budget. With a slight compromise on the engine power, you will get a package which is much more complete than the Amaze E or the Dzire LDI. But yes, if engine performance and steering feedback is important to you, then the Tigor will not appeal to you much with its super light steering and slightly notchy gearbox.

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2018 at 13:49. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:23   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a little skeptic about the reliability of i-dtec engine as I haven't seen a single Amaze or City even near the one lakh mark and it's not like they're new anymore.
My Amaze i-Dtec is @ 92 K, no fuss ownership. Tata diesels are the worst of the lot. Lot of niggles every now and then. They are not at all reliable. I've owned and driven Indica NA to Indigo CRDi.

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2018 at 13:50. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
panky12345 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:17   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Any one has seen 2L+ kms on Honda diesel engines? How reliable are they compared to our 1.3L DDiS national engine?
I don't think you should have any problem with the engine. Especially as this is no longer the first generation of this engine. There are quite a few Amaze taxis plying around, which generally shows the faith the drivers have in those engines.

PS: Have a look at outgoing Ford Aspire too. There are offers in tune of 65,000 plus exchange bonus being mentioned on Ford website, which should bring in a more feature Trend variant, with one of the best diesel engines in the market, in line with the base variants of Amaze, Dzire. Maintenance should not be a problem as the same engine is doing duty on Ecosport too.
autorahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:28   #337
BHPian

My Amaze idtech is close to five years old , not much mileage on it though .

No problems at all except regular service .

It's noisy though but the torque at the low end is great .

Fuel economy too is great .
anky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 13:17   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
My Amaze i-Dtec is @ 92 K, no fuss ownership. Tata diesels are the worst of the lot. Lot of niggles every now and then. They are not at all reliable. I've owned and driven Indica NA to Indigo CRDi.
Regarding the old School Tatas, well Yes they weren't super reliable machines around but they aged really well. A friend still drives his 18 Year old 1st generation Indica DLG. Infact he has recently restored the same and it's still running on the same engine with 1.8 Lakh kms on the odo. The Tata cars are capable of clocking a lot of kms, I for one had the Indica DLG Turbo in Pune quite a long time back and what a stunning workhorse it was, it would be super hard to digest but it had nearly 4 Lakh kms on the odo. It was mainly Chauffeur driven and was used by our staff to for tours around Karnataka & Maharashtra. Hence I strongly believe Tata has upped their game now and the experience will definitely improve in terms of all the aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
My City iDTEC is at almost 90000km now. Engine is pretty much what it was when new - a no frills workhorse. It sounds gruff, but there is adequate punch, little lag and it is easy on the wallet. It only needs regular service and frequent cleaning of the air filter to keep chugging along happily. There is nothing much to complaint except for the noise.
Now, that's interesting to hear!
A friend of mine recently sold off his 4 years old Honda City i-dtec SV for 5 Lakhs. It had 42k on the odo and the NVH levels had become worse. The head gasket too had got some issues but it was changed under warranty. The car was pretty decent to drive but that driving a "Honda" feel was missing in it after a few years down the line.

Moreover, I haven't seen a single Honda diesel cab too with such a high odo run. Hence, I'm glad to hear that you folks are having a great experience but I for one would skip it for the time being and wait for Honda to improve the engine further having said that I am extremely curious about the CVT & 1.5 i-dtec pairing.

Last edited by YashD : 23rd May 2018 at 13:22.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:08   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata diesels are the worst of the lot. Lot of niggles every now and then. They are not at all reliable. I've owned and driven Indica NA to Indigo CRDi.
Tata Sierra, Sumo, Safari (part-time), Indica Turbo, Indigo Marina, Nano and now Vista. Except the Safari and Nano, all my other cars from Tata did in excess of 1.5L kms without issue. The Vista is on the National Engine and at 1.30L kms now.

Not sure what issues you had, but reliability has always been good for me and the scores of Taxis running around. All the vehicles I have mentioned are from their previous generation. I do expect the newer Generations to do better.

Before you dismiss me as a fanboy, I have also had the Maruti 800, M1000, Omni, Gypsy King, Eeco, Hyundai Santro, Toyota Qualis, Mahindra 550, Mahindra Commander, Ford Ikon, HM Ambassador and the Contessa. Commercially, we have had the Tata 407, 709 and the multi-axle truck. This is from 1991 till date.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 16:15   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Not sure what issues you had, but reliability has always been good for me and the scores of Taxis running around. All the vehicles I have mentioned are from their previous generation. I do expect the newer Generations to do better.

Before you dismiss me as a fanboy, This is from 1991 till date.

Well, who am I to dismiss you as a fanboy. All I can say is you're pretty lucky to have a fuss free experience with TATA cars.

I was quoting my limited exposure as a private individual (where reliability matters) and NOT as a commercial user.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 16:38   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, who am I to dismiss you as a fanboy. All I can say is you're pretty lucky to have a fuss free experience with TATA cars.

I was quoting my limited exposure as a private individual (where reliability matters) and NOT as a commercial user.
I am a private individual too. The commercial vehicles were for my father's business at that time. The cars ran for the family and office. We usually had a vehicle for 3-4 years at that time and would replace accordingly. The M800 was with us for 20 odd years, the Gypsy for 9. My Vista is 5.5 years old now. No intention of replacing it now because it's doing well and I have no need for a change.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 23:05   #342
Senior - BHPian

Arent there pics with other colors? I am seeing only red in all displays!!
Any news about the new Brio? Cant wait!!!
Old 24th May 2018, 17:02   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a little skeptic about the reliability of i-dtec engine as I haven't seen a single Amaze or City even near the one lakh mark and it's not like they're new anymore.
I have driven more than one Rental Honda Citys, with more than 50 thousand Kms on the Odo (zoomcar).
All of them felt as good as new, engine wise.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 16:16   #344
BANNED

Just back after test driving the Amaze Diesel CVT.

My perspective is as an owner of Ford Aspire and previous generation Figo, so you know whats my liking. Amaze Diesel CVT in one word is Brilliant. I still can't believe a diesel and a CVT can be so fun to drive. Fun to Drive in one sentence is rather oxymoronic for a CVT, but trust me Honda has done an outstanding job of mating the CVT to a diesel engine and tuned it to perfection. You won't be able to tell this is a CVT unless you were told before hand.

The ride was very settled with comfortable seats. The braking was adequate, not outstanding. The handling is far better than Dzire , but not as good as Aspire. The steering feedback was also marginally below Aspire. It doesn't exhibit any nervousness in corners or during overtaking maneuvers. The acceleration was smooth and linear with not a big surge at any point. You wouldn't feel the loss of 20 bhp , the detuning effect in any manner. Amaze would be my choice in the compact sedan segment.

The build quality is not impressive though, but there is nothing barring a Nexon which I liked in this price bracket. I also test drove the Nexon AMT, it was disappointing.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 26th May 2018 at 16:18.
The Rationalist is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 04:17   #345
BHPian

I own 1st gen amaze VX MT (P) - 4.5 yrs old. Yesterday I gave the booking amount for 2nd gen V CVT (P). What made me take this decision?

1) CVT with paddle shifters. High time to go automatic!!!
Fully aware of the rubber band effect of i-vtec which is carried forward onto the CVT as well and paddle shifting gears is just an emulation in a CVT; but it is still fun to drive.
I'm not a diesel person so Diesel CVT was out and does not carry paddles as well.

2) Looks - subjective but I find the new Amaze simply good looking, no slanted creases anymore. Nothing in the competition comes even closer; IMO.

3) Interior Space:- Better than current amaze which was generous too. Width is now same as the City.

3) It's always a sub-4 meter car for me as parking in the city is pain otherwise. Most of the slots are emptied by cars of this length. And I use my car as a bike, take it to busy places very often.

4) Top of the line variant under 10L on-road, so Mini SUVs were out. Unfortunately they did not launch CVT in the top vx trim. Prominent things missing are :-

a. AVN touchscreen w/parking camera which I negotiated with the car dealer to get
aftermarket price (know that because current touchscreen purchased 4 yrs ago from an audio dealer was pricier).

b. Cruise control...em...don't need it.

5) After owning a Honda, not going back to MS which apparently has the segment leader. Did not even take the test drive of any other car (yeah, weird isn't it?). The only other option I was thinking of was TUV300, but "Diesel-only" and Mahindra badge didn't allow me to go that route. Otherwise I was ready to go over budget for those 2 hideous additional seats on occasional use.

6) Introductory prices are really VFM. Don't want to shell out additional 25-30k on the same product later.

What's next?

1) Delivery in 5-6 weeks as confirmed by the sales guy. Account to be settled a week before. Deliberated on the colour:- Golden Brown vs Red. Although classier, in most conditions Golden Brown looks like Black hence not liked by most family members, so Red it is. By the way, Golden Brown was readily available as someone else had postponed the delivery, damn!

2) Also negotiated with the dealer to match any insurance quote I get from outside with same TnC. Already have one which is 9k cheaper than what dealer is asking for, which is typically the case. With so many options nowadays, the hunt is on.

3) Will start the process of selling my "currently worshiped" in 2-3 weeks from now so that I am not left "car-less" for long. (Advert Alert:- Anyone interested in the forum, pm me; will send details with pics ).

*An odd bit during otherwise-smooth booking process which the prospective buyers should be aware of:-

Dealer pricing sheet included an extra column for "Basic Accessories - floor mats and pillow cushions" for ~INR 3300. They were insisting that this has been mandated by Honda but I questioned and also conveyed that in worst case they can charge me but I won't take it as completely useless to me and asked them to give that for free to the next customer on my behalf. Multiple people up the hierarchy chain came to convince. After a while, when I was leaving out of the showroom post booking formalities, the sales person said its fine and not mandatory/won't be charged. I had called Honda helpline by the time to confirm this and they would revert back in 24-48 hrs. This specific instance was not, I would say, Honda-like. After how strange that was, I still trust the dealer. Even visited their service center and people were courteous everywhere.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th May 2018 at 12:41. Reason: Spacing for better readability
kautilya is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed