Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2018, 13:22   #376
BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

I feel that the Yaris (especially lower variants) is rather well priced for what it offers. The City feels extremely tinny, the Verna is cramped and the Vento/Rapid twins date back to the stone age. The Yaris' only negative might be the rubber band effect of its CVT.
petroguzzler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 13:51   #377
BHPian

If I were to buy a C segment sedan, it'd be a Linea T-Jet once again even today, provided it is still available. At 9.9L ex-showroom plus juicy discounts on the top variant and unmatched driving pleasure by anything else this side of Jeep Compass (barring the Abarth Punto). Get a remap and you're looking at 150 BHP. Upgrade the turbo for 1L and you're at 200 BHP, leaving the 40L 2 litre diesel luxury cars in dust.

That said, if I don't want to undergo the torture of FIAT service, I'd consider one of the lower variants of Yaris. While 7 airbags in all variants get the well deserved praise, we hardly praise Toyota for being the first and the only manufacturer to bring proper neck restraints and a proper seatbelt for the 5th passenger to its most basic vehicles, that too in all the variants. Those two being the most basic safety features which are shockingly excluded even in the 'premium' vehicles.

So, its either a Linea for its driving pleasure or a Yaris for its safety and high practicality and peace of mind ownership experience.

The made for India Suzuki and Honda tin cans (especially the current gen City with its horrific niggles) feel way too compromised and just don't cut it for me. I'd rather trust a 13 year old FIAT over the made for India compromised tin cans.

Last edited by theredliner : 26th April 2018 at 13:56.
theredliner is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 14:01   #378
Team-BHP Support

Comparison from few other Asian markets. Yaris clearly undercuts City is most markets by a good price.

Vios is the direct City rival in those markets and Yaris is a more budget offering from Toyota.

Thailand -
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-screenshot_20180426134837.png

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-screenshot_20180426134745.png

Singapore -
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-screenshot_20180426135150.png

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-screenshot_20180426135341.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 15:18   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

The made for India Suzuki and Honda tin cans (especially the current gen City with its horrific niggles) feel way too compromised and just don't cut it for me. I'd rather trust a 13 year old FIAT over the made for India compromised tin cans.
https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.f...d/973547/lite/

Guess you can't trust a "solid" car too, unless crash test results says so. Surprisingly a tin can Honda city scored 4 stars!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 15:33   #380
BHPian

So had a look at the car a little while back and here are my obsevations:

a) The car's overall presence is good. It does not look compact and is good to look at.

b) The leg room is good. City has a little bit more room but the difference is not substantial. The headroom in Yaris is limited but it does not feel claustrophobic like the new Verna does. This could be due to the glass area of rear doors and recline angle.

c) The rear seat comfort is good. City seems better primarily for the extra few mm of under thigh seat support

d) The width of Yaris is 1730mm compared to City's 1695mm but magically City can seat 3 adults at the back and Yaris cannot. Etios at the same showroom with 1695mm width can can seat 3 people better. Cant fathom what Toyota's designers did.

e) The boot space is sufficient at 476 ltrs and the boot is well contoured. the cladding is very good.

f) The plastics are good and well built. The overall build is also nice and definitely feels better than City.

The salesperson was quick to start drawing comparisons with City and started touting the safety features. They definitely know they are up against some good competition.

Compared to City:
a) Yaris's interiors are better put together and seems better built. smaller things like cladding in boot feels so much better than City
b) better specced on safety features especially in lower variants
c) adequate leg space
d) poor in seat width
e) expensive higher variants

I will TD in next few days, especially the AT variant which will give better comparo.

As of now, Yaris seems better in lower variants but for seat width.

~m

Last edited by serious_maniac : 26th April 2018 at 15:34. Reason: Typos
serious_maniac is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 16:39   #381
BHPian

Contrary to the more popular options of compacts, mini SUVs and crossovers, the midsize sedan segment is relatively if lesser interest to most new car buyers. The March 2018 passenger car numbers prove this - I believe this segment which the Yaris will now be a part of showed a de-growth of 12 percent. So at this price point, IMHO this car will not evince great interest and I would doubt if toyota will manage to spruce the numbers up. The only good things though are the safety features and automatic options being available in the base variant too.
Old 26th April 2018, 16:44   #382
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai price list for the Yaris, courtesy Millenium Toyota. The VX AT costs 17 big ones
hiren.mistry is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 16:54   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Mumbai price list for the Yaris, courtesy Millenium Toyota. The VX AT costs 17 big ones

What on earth does insurance 'luxury' cover mean🤔🤔
Old 26th April 2018, 17:57   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Guess you can't trust a "solid" car too, unless crash test results says so. Surprisingly a tin can Honda city scored 4 stars!
For people who call the 4th gen City a Tin can, all I can offer is some real world crash results of people such as myself and a few others which is well documented right here on team bhp : URL

Direct Links:
Crash Report 01 - URL1
Quote:
All I can say is I can vouch for the City from my personal experience in terms of Crash Safety. Met with an accident in May 2016, the car hit the divider, flew in the air and toppled completely and went scraping on the top for some distance and stopped and I came out from the inverted car unhurt. Thankful to the City for saving me and the others in the car...
Crash Report 02 - URL2
Quote:
I am quite happy with the car since we walked out with minor injuries. The car seems well built from a safety perspective. I am happy that I chose a variant with airbags and advocate everyone to buy the safety variants always.
Quoting my earlier statement:
Quote:
Real life scenarios/proof points I think should carry more weight than "feel", star ratings and bias about "German" or any other brand build quality being superior.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 26th April 2018 at 18:10.
vsrivatsa is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 18:04   #385
BHPian

Expected a better package for Yaris. Etios, for all their goof-ups on aesthetics, offered much better value at that price considering the quality, comfort and performance.

Yaris may be better than Etios in some aspects but it trails behind Etios in accommodating five adults and boot space despite being a larger car. Assuming that we want to consider Yaris as an upgrade, I cant find any reason other than CVT & slightly better aesthetics (only when compared to Etios). Yaris is no match for City or Verna in looks.

I would consider Honda City a much better alternative in that segment. It is a truly time tested and the most stylish car (even if it is behind Verna in equipment list) in this segment.
amateurpro is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 18:22   #386
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Why is the insurance amount so high? Is it mandatory to buy this specific insurance only?
Old 26th April 2018, 18:31   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuveerk View Post
What on earth does insurance 'luxury' cover mean🤔🤔
I guess, they're taking the premium thingy a little too seriously. For a marquee that prides itself on being 'premium' how can they offer regular insurance to the most 'premium' product in the segment? No sir!
Jokes aside, I think this luxury fluff is nothing but bumper to bumper cover with 0 depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Why is the insurance amount so high? Is it mandatory to buy this specific insurance only?
Your guess is good as mine, ideally you can buy your own insurance but considering this is a new product so the dealership may act pricey.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 19:16   #388
BHPian

Quote:
As expected. If a MUV can costs 27 big ones, why shouldn't a luxury?! sedan cost anything less than 17?

Big 'T' knows people would still buy.

I feel that the sales would settle at around 3000 per month and Toyota would be happy with that number.

As long as their profit margins are the biggest in the industry there is no reason why they should be worried !
vaasscit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 21:57   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
As expected. If a MUV can costs 27 big ones, why shouldn't a luxury?! sedan cost anything less than 17?
As expected yes, but still a bitter pill to swallow. As has been mentioned by many others, the tendency for manufacturers to price their products high all in the name of some perceived 'premiumness' is scary.
At this pace, most of us would be driven out of the market by these silly prices.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 26th April 2018 at 21:58. Reason: Grammar
Old 26th April 2018, 22:11   #390
BHPian

Went to the Toyota showroom to see the Yaris today. Typical Toyota, nothing inspiring. I own a Ciaz and the Yaris in comparison seemed so cramped from the inside. The roof mounted AC vents of the Yaris are such a fraud, they suck in air from inside the cabin and throw it towards the back seats. There is no ducting from the AC to carry cool air to the back seats like the Ciaz/City/Verna. The unit sucks in air from near the roof and we all know cool air stays down and hot air occupies the upper space.
jassi_jeeper is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks