Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2018, 22:25   #391
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
For people who call the 4th gen City a Tin can, all I can offer is some real world crash results
How does that change the way the car feels? People are calling it so because it 'feels so' - like all it would take is a minor shunt to make the sheet cave in - like a kid playing ball for example or similar. Even the doorpads flex visibly for that matter. Simply doesn't feel premium in that aspect.

Safety ofcourse is different. In modern cars, sheet metal thickness =/= safety. Fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
The unit sucks in air from near the roof and we all know cool air stays down and hot air occupies the upper space.
Very valid point.

We had blowers in various cars before (Duster for example had no cooling coils in the rear foot mounted blowers initially), but the roof is the worst place to implement this since it sucks in the hottest air from the cabin.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th April 2018 at 22:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 00:01   #392
AYP
Senior - BHPian

First look of the Yaris J variant-

It looks better than the Ciaz Sigma and the City S.

Last edited by AYP : 27th April 2018 at 00:04.
AYP is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 07:45   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've also posted in my original pricing post that the Yaris will sell..Not really. All we are stating is why the Innova is able to get away with its inflated price tag and why that approach cannot be applied to every product. By the way, if I needed a workhorse MUV to use for 10 years, I'd pick the Innova, despite its overpriced nature.
You said it. That’s precisely the reason why Yaris will also sell. I have noticed that majority of Toyota buyers are the ones who want to keep the car for 5-7-10+ years.

The one thing that goes in favour of Toyota is that their car ages well.
LoneWolf9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 09:49   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How does that change the way the car feels?
Safety of course is different. In modern cars, sheet metal thickness =/= safety. Fact.
My post was related to/clarifying the second point you made...you are correct in what you say, but most people assume/perceive/interpret Sheet Metal Thickness as being proportional to the Crash Worthiness/Safety of the car and not the way you put it. In fact the post I quoted was also expressing surprise over the City scoring a 4 star safety rating
Old 27th April 2018, 09:53   #395
Senior - BHPian

I have seen the Yaris only in reviews so far, but what I absolutely like about it is the fact that safety features are standard across all its variants. This is the right direction forward for the Indian market and thankfully, Toyota has taken the lead here by standardizing safety. Kudos.

Also noticed that the Yaris comes with the head restraint for the rear middle seat. This is very important in terms of safeguarding the rear middle occupant from a neck whiplash injury in the event of a rear shunt.

It is pretty concerning to note that even OEMs like Fiat, Hyundai had this rear middle head restraint in their early variants of Linea and Verna respectively and later omitted the middle head rest for the Indian market but included it in all other markets. Even the City and Vento have been skimped off the rear mid headrest for the Indian market only. Omitting this essential safety headrest is not acceptable. High time it is made mandatory.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 27th April 2018 at 09:58.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 10:17   #396
BHPian

I for one think the pricing isn't bad. what stands out is 7 airbags standard, roof mounted rear ac vents, electric drivers seat and you also get the hand gesture control MMU. Quality if not better is on par with the City or the Verna. now some are saying Verna also gets features like cooled seats, but what about the cramped rear. Would you choose between a feature like cooled seats and compromise space?

The City beats the Yaris outright when it comes to looks. but other places i dont think so. Space difference is marginal, also exciting to drive might be a thing amongst us Tbhpians, but not for the guy who wants a normal no-nonsense commute to office or take his family to the nearest weekend resort.

then there is also the brand attached to the car which will forgive most of its drawbacks. The Etios brand failed because it felt 'Gareeb' which us Indians did not like at all. But the Yaris feels like it right on par if not better than the competition. And then there's variant strategy. AT across all variants is super move. Id never buy one but i'd definitely recommend one.
balenopower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 10:28   #397
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Top-end variants are more expensive than the already-expensive City . Even otherwise, the pricing is on par or higher. Toyota has gone mad! When you are fighting the segment leader of 20 years, you have to be better prepared..

A trend we've seen over the last 2 - 3 years is that nearly all new products are competitively priced (some have pleasantly surprised us!), be it hatchbacks, sedans or even CBUs. Sure doesn't look like Toyota has been reading the news.

City Prices. Honda & Hyundai are throwing big parties tonight at their HQ!
I feel, for that matter, Toyota cars are totally and absolutely boring. Toyota feels that they are selling reliability + Brand Equity for the price and the car is given as a kickback for buying the above mentioned two things. I wouldn't pay 25L for a Corolla, 40+L for a Fortuner and 25+ L for an Innova either. Leave alone Yaris!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th April 2018 at 14:19. Reason: trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 27th April 2018, 10:39   #398
BHPian

I had a quick glance at Yaris in the showroom from a distance, as I did not have the time to go in, first impression was not great. The front face looks funny, reminds you of the face some cartoon character with big and wide open mouth, and yes as many have mentioned, the car looks smaller, especially if you park it alongside a Ciaz it will be really small. My kids and wife did not like it at the first glance, we will anyway will take a test ride this weekend, just for the T brand. Its certainly overpriced, but lower automatic variants might make sense for some, prices of the top variants are just insane.

Last edited by joe_antony : 27th April 2018 at 10:41. Reason: correcting grammar and typo
joe_antony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 12:11   #399
BHPian

I already own a Ciaz and am thinking of upgrade/change sometime late this year / early next year. Was (and still am) leaning heavily towards the Honda Civic and was hoping that car was priced in the whereabouts of 20L on road. Now with the Yaris pricing, not entirely sure how the pricing for the civic is going to pan out.

Will Toyota hike the price of the Corolla? Will Honda then price the Civic higher/lower than that? What to make of the Maruti –Suzuki Corolla (or whatever name Suzuki names their version of the Corolla)?

Quite miffed with the pricing (like many on this thread).

Then again, objectively speaking, if you look at the spec sheet the G and V variants their actually competitively priced. It’s the variant to variant comparison with other cars that throws you off. For example, (i) the G is comparable to the ZXI+ is about 10k cheaper; and (ii) the V is comparable to the the VX (Honda) and SX(o) and more or less in the same price range.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:38   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Was (and still am) leaning heavily towards the Honda Civic and was hoping that car was priced in the whereabouts of 20L on road.
Forget Yaris or Corolla - this price is unrealistic even considering the price of the City, which costs around 17.5L for the top variants of both the petrol and the diesel variants.

10L has become 4m sedan category. 12L - 17L C segment sedans and 22 - 25L space for D segment sedans - when on road prices are considered.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 13:51   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
Went to the Toyota showroom to see the Yaris today. Typical Toyota, nothing inspiring. I own a Ciaz and the Yaris in comparison seemed so cramped from the inside. The roof mounted AC vents of the Yaris are such a fraud, they suck in air from inside the cabin and throw it towards the back seats. There is no ducting from the AC to carry cool air to the back seats like the Ciaz/City/Verna. The unit sucks in air from near the roof and we all know cool air stays down and hot air occupies the upper space.

I was somehow suspecting this and was waiting for confirmation. I was thinking how the engineers achieved this great feat of integrating the HVAC plumbing towards the roof.
Now the mystery is solved.
Remind me of the fans we used to see in old Ambassadors.
CarJunki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 14:01   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've also posted in my original pricing post that the Yaris will sell, but not to its full potential.

We've always respected Toyota for its safety, even with cheap cars like the Liva & Etios. However, safety alone is not a ticket to overpricing your cars. Plus, it's not exactly the case that the Verna, City, Vento etc. are unsafe cars
I don't have experience of owning a Toyota, but I know a few people who have a Toyota, and they simply swear by low cost of ownership. They say its economical on the long run.

So maybe that's the reason, Toyota, cash it on selling the car, and keep the maintenance cost for customer at minimum.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th April 2018 at 14:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 27th April 2018, 14:09   #403
BHPian

I completely feel that Toyota have gotten into some sort of blind confidence with their pricing.

I agree to an earlier post from Rajeevraj - Honda feels like a tin box now, Hyundai is expensive in the long run.

This might help Toyota (and considering that their CVTs are priced close) to gain some ground. But there I still feel that the Honda and Hyundai have better interiors.

And I'm of the opinion that the Vento and the Rapid age the best from the current crop of cars in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Forget Yaris or Corolla - this price is unrealistic even considering the price of the City, which costs around 17.5L for the top variants of both the petrol and the diesel variants.

10L has become 4m sedan category. 12L - 17L C segment sedans and 22 - 25L space for D segment sedans - when on road prices are considered.

I was having this discussion earlier with a friend and it is scary how gradually the car manufacturers did this, no?

We do not expect vehicle prices to stay in the same bracket but I bought my Swift petrol for 5 lacs OTR in 2008 the mid spec variant which now costs well beyond 7.3 OTR (with few added features maybe) but the pricing still does not seem justified with the increase.

The sub 4 meter cars are a segment that the car manufacturers have "created" to only push the C segment sedan prices well over 15 lacs.

One could get a Jetta or a Corolla or heck a Civic for about 18 OTR not so long ago...

Per me, the sub 4 meter sedans do nothing but give that important-to-India snob effect of owning a 3 box car.

There's nothing much different on offer if we consider their donor cars really.

How different are the Amaze and Jazz? How different are the Xcent and i20? I feel the latter are much better...

Arguments are always there how they have more space than their hatchbacks, that little more boot space and how "easy" it is to drive around in the city and park too. But how much of a difference is a .3 or a .5 meter going to do?

It all started with the Tata Indigo CS and caught on like wildfire.. wasn't expected, but the VW came up with Ameo

Last edited by adneeraj : 27th April 2018 at 14:19. Reason: Editing post to improve readability, changed a sequence
adneeraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 14:12   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
In fact the post I quoted was also expressing surprise over the City scoring a 4 star safety rating
Oh come on, does that sound like a surprise? I clearly meant that a supposedly "tin can" city managed 4 star rating.

I own a tin can ciaz that scored 4 stars in ASEAN NCAP, but people might say Indian ciaz is unsafe. Not going there.

City may be tinny but it isn't unsafe and that's what I implied. People are so obsessed with thud sound from closing the door, and bonnets being unscathed during a 10kmph rear ending.

A few of my friends oversteered at a corner at unmentionable speeds on 3rd gen city, car flipped 3 times and landed hard on roof. All 5 of them escaped unhurt. Now that is one example among many.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th April 2018 at 14:18.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 14:17   #405
BHPian

People here seem to compare Yaris with City only on pricing. How about safety features.

Yaris gets

1. 7 airbags as against city's 6
2. All-round disc brake
3. ESP
4. Traction Control
5. Brake Assist
6. TPMS
7. Hill Assist

For some one inclined towards safety Yaris is much better compared to city. Remember the fact that the Etios scored a 4 star rating despite having thin sheet metal and hence I'm sure Yaris will be the same if not better.

City sells on brand lineage and not on merit. Its brand city that sells and not the car. A 4 year old brand Ciaz is overtaking City, a 20 year old brand, is testimony to the fact that City is losing sheen. The only positive thing City has is the creamy sweet iVtec and Hyundai's 1.6 is not far off as well.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 27th April 2018 at 14:38.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks