Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
1. 7 airbags as against city's 6
2. All-round disc brake
3. ESP
4. Traction Control
5. Brake Assist
6. TPMS
7. Hill Assist
Adding some bullets in favor of the City: (Overall Features not restricted to Safety)
1. Sun Roof
2. Rear Seat Space
3. Larger Boot
4. The Roof Mounted AC as explained on a recent post is not as good as the rear AC vents on the City...
5. and of course that Legendary Engine called iVTEC

In terms of other aspects - I do not have the details: Does anyone know what is the Ground Clearance (I saw 160 mm somewhere but unsure ?) on the Yaris and the ARAI Fuel Efficiency of the Manual and CVT?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 27th April 2018 at 15:05.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 23:40   #407
BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
A few of my friends oversteered at a corner at unmentionable speeds on 3rd gen city, car flipped 3 times and landed hard on roof. All 5 of them escaped unhurt. Now that is one example among many.
However, there is a significant difference between the build quality of a 3rd generation and a 4th generation Honda City. This is not a just a perception. People who provide authorised Honda service told me in a casual chat. Of course, their view can be questioned. But they are handling the issues at the service centre and must know the niggles at least.

I personally own a 3rd generation, and it's a great car for the price, however, without many features.

Now coming to the topic of this thread, let me just point out, there is a reason a lot of people tend to believe, regardless of the pricing, that Toyota would not compromise with the basic build quality. They did not do that even with Etios.

It also surprises me that many people here expected that Yaris would be priced lower than the City. Why?
asitkde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 04:37   #408
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
It also surprises me that many people here expected that Yaris would be priced lower than the City. Why?
Because Globally the Yaris is priced lower than the city and because Yaris is a smaller car. You could refer previous posts to check on global pricing comparisons.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 05:56   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Because Globally the Yaris is priced lower than the city and because Yaris is a smaller car. You could refer previous posts to check on global pricing comparisons.

Totally agree! More so because despite its niggles the Honda City is still considered the best in business in this segment. I know many people who quoted 'why go elsewhere' when it comes to choosing a mid sized family sedan - similar to the way many people feel about cars from the Maruti stable.
raghuveerk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 08:12   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How does that change the way the car feels? People are calling it so because it 'feels so' - like all it would take is a minor shunt to make the sheet cave in - like a kid playing ball for example or similar. Even the doorpads flex visibly for that matter. Simply doesn't feel premium in that aspect.

Safety ofcourse is different. In modern cars, sheet metal thickness =/= safety. Fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
My post was related to/clarifying the second point you made...you are correct in what you say, but most people assume/perceive/interpret Sheet Metal Thickness as being proportional to the Crash Worthiness/Safety of the car and not the way you put it.
Besides safety as a factor, there's also the issues of receiving dings and dents from seemingly negligible brushes with our friendly two-wheelers, autos and pick-up trucks who decorate the car at traffic signals, overtaking manoeuvres etc. This will also play a big role on the back of the mind. I have had a couple of serious brushes with taxis who decide to jump in from the left or right from parking with no regard to traffic. Was expecting a serious dent alongside the right on one occasion, but was surprised to see nothing on the Vista.

While thickness of sheet metal might not be a concern in the event of a crash (considering the fact that a life was saved), such day-to-day occurrences are one too many even in a Tier-II city that I live in.

Road noise filtering in, would be another.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 09:26   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually Toyota have done some mix and match here for India. Now I don't know if this has been done to reduce costs because it surely hasn't resulted in the Yaris being priced that way.

Basically the Yaris we get here is sold as the Yaris Ativ in Thailand. The Yaris Ativ slots in below the Vios. The Vios is the City competitor and the Yaris is a segment lower.

The Yaris is priced lower in Thailand because it gets a smaller 1.2L engine and some other features missing.

Basically India gets the Yaris body but mechanicals are from the Vios.

Why they followed this strategy I am not sure. The Vios and Yaris Ativ seem to be have the same underpinnings and only have different design elements.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 11:07   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Very valid point.

We had blowers in various cars before (Duster for example had no cooling coils in the rear foot mounted blowers initially), but the roof is the worst place to implement this since it sucks in the hottest air from the cabin.
It is other way round, when AC sucks the hot air from top half, you will get a nearly uniform temperature from top to bottom, otherwise there is always a hot air pocket in the upper half of the cabin.

I always keep aircon vents pointing upwards to get uniform cooling in the cabin.

I have a 2009 Altis VL (petrol automatic). It is everything but a drivers car. I expected Toyota will start making fun to drive cars but they seem to have disappointed in Yaris also.

I hope they will now upgrade the feature list in Altis, which is sorely lacking in that department, else Yaris will poach some sales from Altis

Last edited by akj53 : 28th April 2018 at 11:10.
akj53 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 15:24   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
It is other way round, when AC sucks the hot air from top half, you will get a nearly uniform temperature from top to bottom, otherwise there is always a hot air pocket in the upper half of the cabin.
But in the case of the Yaris, it is not the AC sucking the air from the top of the cabin. It is just a fancily designed 'exhaust fan'.
Also this 'exhaust fan' is also available only in the top model. whereas city/ciaz have proper ducting from AC to the back seats even in starting models.
The only thing this Yaris 'exhaust fan' will do is tell the back seat occupants, what oil have the front seat occupants have applied in their hair! Poor show Toyota!
jassi_jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 19:11   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
Also this 'exhaust fan' is also available only in the top model.
Just to clarify, the "Roof Mount Air Vents with Ambient Illumination" is available in G, V and VX variants. It is not available only in base J variant. This is as per their website and brochure.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 19:39   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi_jeeper View Post
But in the case of the Yaris, it is not the AC sucking the air from the top of the cabin. It is just a fancily designed 'exhaust fan'.
I guess, they have used a jugaadu way to differentiate themselves from the crowd. Most often the central aircon's have a slight angular flow towards the top, so that it can reach the rear passengers' better.

I think Toyota has placed the fan in the centre to suck and then re-circulate the air to the head of the rear-passengers. This would help the front air reach the head of the passengers more efficiently (Works best for hot headed people ).

Also, many cars' (like my Grand i10) rear air-con blowing capacity is to meagre and only keeps the knees cool, due to a lack of an independent rear-blower.

Even I do the same thing during the hot sultry days in Kol, where I place a table fan infront of my 0.8L Window AC, and the air is superbly circulated to even the hard to reach corners of the room otherwise.
Old 28th April 2018, 20:08   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Was doing a bit of research on the Yaris.

My thought was, can it be a worthy upgrade from my petrol Etios? But before driving the car myself, i cant come to a conclusion. May be, will take a test drive next week. Again for my touring purpose and budget, i guess switching over to a crossover will make for sense for me. Ground clearance matters!

Meanwhile did some research on its service intervals & general service replacements to draw a conclusion on how costly the maintenance is going to be.

So checked it from the Toyota Connect app and was surprised to find the parts replacement schedules in the general service is even lesser than the Etios. As a typical Toyota its going to be boring, cheap to maintain & reliable.

Sharing the data here-

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_8440.png

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_8441.png

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_8442.png

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_8443.png

Name:  IMG_8444.PNG
Views: 2795
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8445.PNG
Views: 2811
Size:  29.3 KB

Last edited by Samba : 28th April 2018 at 20:22.
Samba is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 20:23   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Was doing a bit of research on the Yaris.

My thought was, can it be a worthy upgrade from my petrol Etios?

From Etios the Yaris is hardly an upgrade. You get almost the same engine which from the reviews looks uninspiring, the rear space is also better in the Etios and the boot is also smaller in the Yaris. Yes you get tons of additional features and airbags when compared to the Etios and that's the only upgrade I can see.
Waspune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 22:34   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
From Etios the Yaris is hardly an upgrade. You get almost the same engine which from the reviews looks uninspiring
Engines are shared across many products among many brands in this class. Uninspiring doesn't matter to someone looking for a Toyota specifically. Tractability, use-ability in the low to mid range of rpms, and reliability are the key factors which Toyota ensures. There are many engines out there that might seem inspiring like the 1.5 vtec or the 1.4t-jet, 1.0 ecoboost etc. but they do not do as well as a Toyota motor in the above parameters.

Quote:
the rear space is also better in the Etios and the boot is also smaller in the Yaris.
If you go strictly by the numbers, the Ciaz has more legroom than the Laura That kind of logic need only be applied if one is a taxi driver (or in the transportation business in general) or if one is upgrading from a categorically small car where space is at a premium to something much bigger. Otherwise we have come to an age where rear seat space in an entry level sedan has more legroom than a C-Class from just a couple of generations ago.

Quote:
Yes you get tons of additional features and airbags when compared to the Etios and that's the only upgrade I can see.
What about quality of interiors, cabin comfort, seat comfort, seat padding and support, convenience elements, overall relatively premium feel all around?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th April 2018 at 22:37.
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 23:19   #419
BHPian

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Engines are shared across many products among many brands in this class. Uninspiring doesn't matter to someone looking for a Toyota specifically. Tractability, use-ability in the low to mid range of rpms, and reliability are the key factors which Toyota ensures. There are many engines out there that might seem inspiring like the 1.5 vtec or the 1.4t-jet, 1.0 ecoboost etc. but they do not do as well as a Toyota motor in the above parameters.
I get that you didn't get my point. The simple point being that it's the same engine so no upgrade here. Just one of the facets where the OP is surely not upgrading. Another important thing is that the Etios is lighter than Yaris so that would again blunt Yaris' performance further.

Quote:
If you go strictly by the numbers, the Ciaz has more legroom than the Laura That kind of logic need only be applied if one is a taxi driver (or in the transportation business in general) or if one is upgrading from a categorically small car where space is at a premium to something much bigger. Otherwise we have come to an age where rear seat space in an entry level sedan has more legroom than a C-Class from just a couple of generations ago.
You are again deviating from the point and getting other cars into the picture. There are only 2 cars in the contention. Also you and I are unaware of the OP's requirement wrt the rear seat and boot usage. Again this is one of the areas where the OP isn't upgrading.

Quote:
What about quality of interiors, cabin comfort, seat comfort, seat padding and support, convenience elements, overall relatively premium feel all around?

Yes quality is definitely better when compared to the more utilitarian Etios and so is the safety. Can't say much about the seat padding and support as the Etios was not short on comfort to start with.

Last edited by Waspune : 28th April 2018 at 23:24.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 23:28   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes quality is definitely better when compared to the more utilitarian Etios and so is the safety.
The Etios being utilitarian in comparison is the point. What I meant was that an upgrade need not be better in every imaginable way to distinguish itself as one. One can get tired of a spartan car an upgrade need not mean more performance merely better comfort, feel, quality and snob value while losing none of the perks of a Toyota, is enough. Whether or not it is worth the price is a different more individual subject.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed