Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2018, 23:54   #31
BHPian

re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Off topic but isn't Ecopsort Titanium an extremely VFM offering aready? Which other car even comes close to that equipment level at that price point?
Here is what the official tbhp review states about the new ecosport

What you won't like:

• Has gotten very expensive with time. Not VFM, but not overpriced either

While it is certainly not grossly overpriced for what it offers, it carries a definite premium for being the lone runner in race, specifically, the top AT trim.

Simply put, there is no other car in its vicinity which offers automatic + 6 airbags combo, all other parameters like fuel etc not withstanding.

However, I need space in my car which is going to accompany me for next 5 years at a bare minimum and that is where Ecosport fails. The next ones are Verna SXO or Skoda Rapid(4 airbags). And where I am currently struggling is that I need to compromise with all of these options on at least one parameter. While Rapid is a Skoda, Verna is slightly expensive, loves to drink more and has comparatively lesser rear comfort along with more than usual Hyundai service rates. Honda City doesn't have 6 airbags in any trim. I am willing to shell more for yaris than ecosport but my hunch is Toyota will price it above par for the product that yaris offers. All this conundrum will lead more customers like me to Ecopsort AT.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 01:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Just don't goof this up Toyota. Keep the price real.

I am still expecting Toyota to ask for a slight premium over City. I am not sure if it will create the magic Innova did for them, however it will be interesting to see how the market reacts to this, the brand value will still give them a big boosting, I am currently in look for the compact sedan and I will definitely add this to my list.

Last edited by joe_antony : 9th February 2018 at 01:19. Reason: Improving english
Old 9th February 2018, 01:33   #33
BHPian

Are the headlamps double-barrel? Very effective, I miss that in the Etios. What's with the name? What will they name the hatchback version, if there will be one? If this is the Etios platform evolved, maybe a hatchback won't justify the Yaris name.

Pricing-wise, I guess they will go premium, even more than Honda City for the safety-pack & the CVT variants. But they just might match the City on the other variants, and pull in taxi buyers.

I hope they don't use whatever success it gets to kill off the Etios/Liva, even though the Liva sells less than the Etios which itself sells less than the Fortuner! Brand image aside, Etios twins could keep their production line busier than with just the Yaris.
Old 9th February 2018, 03:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Toyota needs to get better designers.
I second that opinion the dash board design is a complete let down on this one too!
The only thing which could pull the customer to buy this over competition is the reliability associated with the badge!
Old 9th February 2018, 06:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

The first thought that came to me- "Thank god that the gawdy chrome touches aren't there"

Specs suggests that this is a great car, wonder what takes Toyota so many years to get the car when they have the design ready?

Hope Toyota learns from the failure of the Etios and equips even the mid trims of the car well.
Old 9th February 2018, 07:24   #36
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The 15" wheels seem too small for the sedan and 16" would have been better. Toyota says that the 15" wheels are more suited for the Indian road conditions.
Amazing reasoning here from Toyota! Its the same company which has given 17" wheels on the Innova Crysta!
I personally feel that they are playing safe with providing 15" Wheels with high profile tyres.

My take on the Yaris is as below;
1. Front end looks too busy with everything converging at Toyota Logo.
2. Rear is bulky (just like Nissan Sunny).
3. The dashboard looks a bit dated. It's no where as good looking as in Honda City.
4. Feature list is exhaustive. Toyota have done a Hyundai here!
5. 15" Wheels look Puny. May be the 16" Wheels must have been giving the suspension set-up some nightmares while testing.
6. The rear AC vents look like an aftermarket Job.

I expect the pricing in the range of Rs. 9.99/- Lakhs (Base variant) to Rs. 13.99/- Lakhs (Top End with CVT).

But I personally feel, this car will impact the sales of the City Zx and the Hyundai Verna Sx(O). It will not impact the sales of Ciaz and the lower variants of City and Verna.
MCR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 07:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Here is what the official tbhp review states about the new ecosport

What you won't like:

• Has gotten very expensive with time. Not VFM, but not overpriced either

While it is certainly not grossly overpriced for what it offers, it carries a definite premium for being the lone runner in race, specifically, the top AT trim.

Simply put, there is no other car in its vicinity which offers automatic + 6 airbags combo, all other parameters like fuel etc not withstanding.
The review says it has got expensive with time. It has. Model to model there is a price rise of close to 1L + although you get additional equipment too. But still as you have said there is no other car in that price bracket which offers all those things. And that is what makes it VFM right? How else do you define VFM.

Anyways lets get back to the Yaris.
Old 9th February 2018, 12:06   #38
BHPian

Checked the Yaris out yesterday and I liked the styling and kit, but was disappointed by the rear seat. The legroom on offer is more premium hatchback than midsize sedan. That's sad since the cheaper Etios has a much nicer back seat.

Other than that, this car has what it takes to give the City/Ciaz/Verna trio sleepless nights. It feels like a proper mini-Corolla, and that should be enough reason for many buyers.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:44   #39
BHPian

The Yaris does look nice even if we forget that it is a Toyota . The interiors looks out of place, specially the dashboard area that houses the infotainment system. But this car has all the attributes to shake the segment and can go head on with the City. The feature list is just plain impressive. 7 airbags, front parking sensors, paddle shifters and what not

The pricing will be the key but City's revised pricing should give it some leverage to price a little higher. Moreover Toyotas in India aren't known for aggressive pricing.

The 1.4 88 bhp D4D could have been borrowed from the Corolla as that engine would have made some sense in this segment. Maybe Toyota feared cannibalization wrt the Corolla.
Old 9th February 2018, 12:49   #40
BHPian

Excellent effort @Omkar for putting details here.

My view,

Good.. nah.. great to have:-

1) 7 airbags
2) Front parking censors.
3) Air blower for the rear passengers.
4) Electrically adjusted seats.

Sad not to have:-

1) Auto IRVM, really Toyota? (Heck, avg. Indian buyers dont even know/care probably! why car makers would bother? )
2) Telescopic steering at this segment.
3) Integrated system to change trip etc. Those manual stalks aren't cool.
4) A good diesel engine to compete with verna. Why are you targeting only city? Define the segment like you have done with some great features!
5) Small things like illuminated glove box, an LED near sun visor etc.
6) Optional 16" tyre.
7) Direct access option to boot from rear seat.
8) Optional sunroof (Some Indians would love to have it).
Old 9th February 2018, 12:51   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
The 1.4 88 bhp D4D could have been borrowed from the Corolla as that engine would have made some sense in this segment. Maybe Toyota feared cannibalization wrt the Corolla.
I doubt the Yaris will cannibalise the Corolla - it is a bigger and more comfortable car! Perfect for the Yaris customer to upgrade to!

However, the 1.4L engine is quite horrible - with high turbo lag, and is an engine that really needs to be pushed to get going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Interior Rear

The rear seats are good enough to accommodate 3 passengers comfortably. The recline angle is also comfortable and the seats offer good support. They are a tad bit low for the taller folks and it's good to see that even the middle passenger gets an adjustable headrest

No rear AC vent on the centre console, but Toyota has a made for India roof mounted blower! You can adjust the blower speed using the buttons and it even shows the speed on LCD display. It has a blue ambient light like the Innova.
As an Etios & Corolla owner, the two biggest things that appealed to us about the car was the rear seat experience. In both cases the cars have comfortable ride quality over multitude of surfaces, but more importantly - the seating was just right in terms of seat height + headroom!
Judging by your comments - I am worried that this may not be the case with the Yaris, which is going to be very disappointing - after all, it's a car bought with the head & not with the heart!

Good to see the introduction of a blower though! Neatly integrated, and saves some legroom for the middle passenger at the back too (not in this case given the front armrest design, but theoretically!)
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
What's with the name? What will they name the hatchback version, if there will be one? If this is the Etios platform evolved, maybe a hatchback won't justify the Yaris name.
The hatchback based on Yaris is called as Vitz in Japan and the same is called as Yaris Hatchback in Canada. It measures 3,945 x 1,695 x 1,510 mm (L x W x H) and has a wheelbase of 2,510 mm. Not sure though whether Toyota will be interested in bringing the hatchback to India since that will be going against the highly competitive segment containing i20 and Baleno.
Old 9th February 2018, 13:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Differing slightly with the "pricing is key" comment from many, I feel, in the C2 segment, the buyer profile is not so much of being "price sensitive" - its more of "price conscious". This segment of buyers are not first time car buyers and hence a few tens of thousands here and there can't kill a product.

What will however prove an uphill task is the plain jane looks - even in the bright red colour it looks so ordinary - so imagine how this car will look in India's favourite sedan shades - Silver and White ( ? ). The interior plastic quality doesn't seem to stack up with Honda standards ( Verna is probably a step ahead of even Honda ). I wonder if its on par with the Ciaz or even poorer ?

But the Toyota brand should suffice to make this a success. Expect the Verna and Ciaz to feel the heat the most - the City the least.
Old 9th February 2018, 13:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
[...] Honda City doesn't have 6 airbags in any trim. [...]
The ZX trim of the Honda City does have 6 airbags. Screen shot from Honda's website attached for reference. Hope this helps you in making a decision.
Attached Thumbnails
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-hc6abg.jpg  

anirudh_85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 15:44   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Yaris ‘technically same as Corolla/Camry’, says Toyota Vice-Chairman!

Quote:
We are very much in the premium car market, part of which is also the Yaris, which we launched. There is no technical difference between that and a Camry or a Corolla, no high-end features have been taken away.
Premium features:

-Powered driver’s seat,
- Factory tinted glass, roof mounted AC vents with ambient lighting,
- Power sockets for rear passengers, cruise control, paddle shifters
- Rain sensing wipers.

Quote:
In so far as safety features go, it’ll be quite loaded, with features such as 7 airbags, ABS, EBD, electronic stability program, reverse parking sensors and camera, proximity sensors at the front, hill hold assist, and a tyre pressure monitoring system on offer.
Quote:
Toyota is expected to position the Yaris squarely in Honda City territory in terms of 'PREMIUM 'pricing
https://www.cartoq.com/toyota-yaris-...an-we-explain/

Last edited by navin : 12th February 2018 at 13:01. Reason: corrected link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks