Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2018, 00:17   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Was at the showroom today. The Accesories worth 14.1 k were termed as compulsory buy. How can this be? It's basically some chrome fittings, a car cover etc which is getting shoved down the customers throat.

That looks like a dealer level thing so if one doesn't want it he/she should write to Toyota directly ccing the dealership. These tactics have been employed before as well by the dealers. The latest example I remember is with the Jeep dealerships who were also making an accessory pack a compulsory buy.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 07:11   #437
BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Agree, the rear is too cramped even for someone who is average height like me (5'6"), comparatively the City is hugely comfortable. One bump and you will have your head smashed to the roof. Under normal circumstances, expect oil and smudge marks on the roof.

The front seat hand rest is another sore point, barely of any use for those in the front but juts out at the back. An what's with having fabric inserts as part of a leather seat .. looks so cheap .. what were they thinking?? People wouldn't notice?
Even the gear knob (on the CVT) took some reaching out to. I had to lean out, a bit uncomfortably, each time.

Close to 17 L OTR in Mumbai .. definitely a non starter with such basic goofups. One used to get a Civic for a lot less just a few years back.

Looks like Yaris is dead out of the water. I was literally hounded by the sales rep to come for a test drive and this despite there being a fairly light dealer coverage in Mumbai. Even at the dealership, for a such an anticipated car, the crowd was thin to say the least, that too on a Sunday and the test drive car was easily available.

Perhaps they can just make the Etios better interiorwise and they would have a winner. This chapter is more or less closed.

Btw, any word on the TBHP official review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Took a test drive of Yaris VX CVT variant today at Shaw Toyota, Pune.

Most of the points have been already mentioned in this forum. So, ignore if repeated.
1. Looks - We were fine with the exterior looks - side, rear and front. Did not feel anything offending neither was there an awe factor.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th April 2018 at 07:19. Reason: Long post quote trimmed.
kimmig is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 12:56   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Took a test drive of Yaris VX CVT variant today at Shaw Toyota, Pune.
Did you visit the showroom for the test drive? I requested Shaw Toyota for TD at my residence(in Kothrud) and was asked to visit showroom instead(had received an sms to which I had replied). Reason given was that the Car is not registered with RTO and have to come to showroom. I find this weird. If they cannot arrange for Test drive at my residence then how can they give one near their showroom.
Old 30th April 2018, 13:23   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, after a few recent trips in the Etios, with a full load of passengers & boot which allowed me to explore the car's true practical side, I've always wondered what would be an ideal replacement for the car.
Granted it doesn't look good, doesn't have features, etc. - issues the Yaris claims to fix (but so do all of it's competitors, including those a segment below like the new Amaze), but the few points Toyota has always had in it's favour seem to be eradicated in the Yaris:

1) Practicality: Big boot, lots of storage cubicles,
2) Super comfy seating: Be it the Etios, Innova, Corolla, etc.
3) Legroom & headroom: The Etios was the only car in it's segment, in which I could sit in the back with just about enough space for my head - at 6'1"

The Yaris doesn't seem to uphold the same promise. Doesn't have a reliable diesel engine. Instead it's a relatively high priced, feature packed (most of them at least) sedan that just doesn't stand out in the crowd for anything other than 'Toyota Reliability' - a point Honda & Hyundai come very close to. The only salient point could be the ability to take abuse like the many Innovas and Etios taxis out there, but that is something we will know over time.

As a Toyota Fan (so to speak), I was quite excited about the Yaris in hopes of it being a better Etios - not a hard task, take an etios & make it look and feel good inside out, throw in some features and watch it sell!
But I have to say I am quite disappointed with the car, and honestly unless I really need a chauffeur driven petrol sedan in this segment - I'd probably explore other options.

Even then, the pricing of the top end variants will definitely help keep me away, because it's effectively a close jump to the more practical Corolla (better rear seats) / Elantra, and the base variants will compete closely with the established and arguably better looking Honda City.

In a nutshell, the only variants that I really see myself recommending to friends and family who want to be driven around is the J or G trim in either manual or auto.
Otherwise there are more spacious cars available (City & Ciaz), more feature laden cars available (City & Verna), competent diesel options available (City, Verna, Rapid, Vento), and definitely better driver's cars available (Vento TSi). The Yaris is a good mix of various attributes undoubtedly, but it doesn't stand out in any particular area (of importance to the mass market) and that is it's biggest weakness.
lamborghini is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 14:03   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
Did you visit the showroom for the test drive? I requested Shaw Toyota for TD at my residence(in Kothrud) and was asked to visit showroom instead(had received an sms to which I had replied). Reason given was that the Car is not registered with RTO
Yes. I visited the showroom for the test drive. They are giving a very small test drive for now. Yes, the car were not registered as of yesterday. They mentioned that the car would get registered by 4th May and then I can again go for a long test drive.
Old 30th April 2018, 22:33   #441
BHPian

Happened to check out the Yaris in the flesh, while waiting on minor repairs for my Platinum Etios. I had to try hard not to compare the Yaris to my car (it doesn't flatter the Yaris).
  • the overdone front bumper is very crudely built
  • the mirror shell design looks a straight lift from the Platinum Etios
  • after just a couple of looks, the 15” tyres looked too small
  • I, <6' tall, couldn't get into the rear bench seats without my head scraping the roof door sill
  • rear is best for 2; the centre part is a raised half-seat
  • all the bashing of the Etios' practicality - central instrumental cluster, prioritizing big glass area over body shape, even the single wiper which has no downside & speakers in the parcel tray instead of the rear doors - has worked; they are all gone
I don't know why these negatives had to be there (beyond rear seat width reduction, probably due to the side airbags), they take something away from these positives:
  • the doors feel weighty & shut exactly like an Altis' - I tried it on both cars back to back
  • the cabin ambience is quite up-market, makes up somewhat for being less airy than the Etios
  • if the Etios petrol's low-end punch is retained in some way (which reports suggest is true), a 6-speed gearbox will do justice to the engine
  • all those airbags & safety equipment has to count for something (I like the idea of all passengers having safety stuff, not just the front seat folks)
If I stop trying hard , I see little additional value in a crippled J spec (no fancy glass, no rear defogger, no centre roof lamps, fewer speakers) at ₹2 lakhs more on-road. Even if some basic improvements over the Etios, like the rear roof lamps & the sound-proofing, had been standard, I wouldn't want to miss out on the rear defogger. I'd have to stretch for the G, and they have made it a reaal streeetch - ₹12 lakhs on-road.
yatin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 22:52   #442
BHPian

Toyota India understands really well that their cheap products dont sell. Being a Japenese company they know their maths and are okay with the idea of low sales with high profits.

I am sure Yaris will not be a DOA infact it will encourage verna and City to beef up their features. This will make this segment interesting with some more options for end consumers.
Old 1st May 2018, 00:36   #443
BHPian

I have driven the Yaris (previously known as Vios) since a few generations of its existence now (in Bangkok) and I get the feeling that it is still the same car since it was created. A no frills simple to drive and cheap to own sedan. It has done well in ASEAN markets so it should do well here as well. But personally, I would get a City as it is just more appealing to me as a product.

Looking forward to healthy competition in this segment from its rivals.
RoadGlide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 13:14   #444
BHPian

To me it looks like the 'J' variant is the VFM. There is a difference of 2 lacs between the 'J' and 'G' variant and the gap does not make sense. If somebody needs better features than what's available in 'J' variant then spending 2 lacs more does not make sense.
Old 1st May 2018, 21:59   #445
BHPian

Toyota Yaris Accessories — Auto Headlamps, Auto Folding ORVMs On Offer.

Toyota introduces a good number of options to beef up the Yaris.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180501_231926.jpg

Convenience accessories

Auto headlamp (suitable for J & G variant)
How often do you see a carmaker offering a feature like auto headlamps as an after-sales accessory? This kind of equipment just makes it easier for you to opt for a lower-spec variant without compromising on the convenience that you get in the higher V and VX variants.

Auto folding outside rear-view mirrors (suitable for J variant)
Toyota offers electrically adjustable ORVMs in all variant of the Yairs. However, the base J variant doesn’t get the auto-folding option. It’s available as an accessory.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180501_232043.jpg

Cushions and front & side window sunshades (suitable for all variants)

Utility accessories (suitable for all variants)

There’s a range of mats, front sunshade (for parking), safety seatbelt pad, mudguard, car cover, leg room lamp, sun visor with vanity mirror, and luggage tray on offer.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180501_232115.jpg

Styling accessories

Chrome, chrome and more chrome (suitable for all variants)
If you like your car studded with chrome all around, Toyota is offering bucketloads of the shiny stuff. These include side visors with chrome, a rear door chrome lid garnish, chrome garnish for headlamps, chrome garnish for tail lamps, chrome-finished fog lamp covers, chrome wheel arch moulding, ORVMs with chrome garnish, and a front lower grille chrome garnish.

Chrome door handles (suitable for J, G and V variants)
The top-spec VX variant gets chrome door handles fitted from the factory.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180501_232147.jpg

Interior accessories

For interior personalisation, Toyota offers the Yaris with a handbrake cover, a steering wheel cover, a wooden gear shift knob (MT), a shift boot bezel (AT) (hydrographic finish) and wooden panel (armrest).
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180501_231939.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180501_232221.jpg

Source: CarDheko, Toyota India
Attached Files
File Type: pdf acc-brochure-yaris.pdf (1.92 MB, 828 views)
Flyer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:06   #446
BHPian

What is this sorcery? Shouldn't auto headlamps and electrical folding mirrors be as standard equipment? Seeing these as an accessory for the first time and hope others do not follow suit.
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:34   #447
BHPian

Toyota should have also provided alloy wheels as an accesory for the lower varients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
What is this sorcery? Shouldn't auto headlamps and electrical folding mirrors be as standard equipment? Seeing these as an accessory for the first time and hope others do not follow suit.
They are standard equipment in the higher varients but absent in lower J & G varients. I think its a good thing that Toyota offers this as an accessory. You can choose the value for money low models without compromising on the convenience normally provided only in the top model.
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:23   #448
Team-BHP Support

Accessories for the J and G variants are interesting, especially the auto headlamps and folding ORVM's.

It looks very much like Toyota is pushing the lower variants over the V and VX.

What's disappointing is in the accessory list there's no auto dimming IRVM for all variants.

As mentioned, the Yaris is the only car missing this feature in the segment. It should be easier to add auto dimming IRVM than auto headlamps.

Note that the auto headlamps have a switch on the windshield sensor. So it's not as simple as the stalk mounted. My guess is you need to switch on the lights from the stalk and then use this switch to turn on/off the feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Toyota should have also provided alloy wheels as an accesory for the lower varients.
They should be providing alloys. Most showrooms have a selection of alloys.

That said, the Yaris would look much better with after market alloys like Momo.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:24   #449
Senior - BHPian

Honda City April sales numbers = 3376. Yaris effect?

Couple of questions:
1. Lower variants has fabric seat cover. Is there an option for seat cover (accessory) as car has side airbags?
2. Is it difficult to convert rear drum brakes to disc?
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:17   #450
BHPian

I test drove the Yaris CVT at Harsha Toyota Chennai today. Immediately after which we test drove the Honda City CVT. I own the Vento TSI in which we drove to the showrooms. These are some of my observations and comparisons.

1. Looks are subjective, I found all three cars to look ok. I personally found the Yaris front to look rather plasticky and less premium than the other two. I thought the Vento looks would stand the test of time compared to the other two.

2. Interiors are quite comparable between the City and Yaris with the City feeling a touch more luxurious. The Vento is a distant third in this regard.

3. As far as refinement inside the car goes, I found the City and Vento to be quieter than the Yaris. This is perhaps because of the CVT noise in the Yaris (more on this later).

4. We only drove inside Chennai city, so we couldn't test the suspension perfectly. But all three cars seem to be similar in handling potholes and ground clearance seems good enough to manage the speed bumps in Chennai.

5. Sound quality from the ICE was the best in the Honda, while Yaris and Vento were similar. Strangely Yaris and Honda don't have Android Auto in 2018, I think this is a big miss.

6. You might have gathered that I place a lot of importance on the performance of the car which is why I bought the TSI. I found the Yaris to be loud and underwhelming. I was totally disappointed. I think the main issue is the CVT which is absolutely terrible when compared to the DSG.

Even to my 67 year old dad who isn't as discerning, the Yaris was slow, unresponsive and loud! The City while having a lot of the same issues that the Yaris has drove a lot better probably because of its superior engine.

Neither car could hold a candle to the TSI's turbo powered engine and lightning quick shifts of the DSG.

If you place any value on performance of the car you will not plonk the 17 lakhs on the Yaris. I would even recommend the Ciaz 4 speed AT over the Yaris.

These are my two cents and they are biased because I am a TSI owner.

No offence meant to anyone who feels Yaris CVT performs well.

P.S. Honda offered free insurance on the City CVT for the month of May. I think my dad will buy the Verna AT or the City AT based on our experience.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (20) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed