Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2018, 16:49   #481
BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuveerk View Post
So I just test drove the Yaris...

...the biggest drawback of this car is the extremely poor rear seat space...

...Shortlisted in the Honda city and the ecosport petrol (waiting for the sunroof S and signature editions)
How would you compare the leg space of the Yaris vis-a-vis the Ecosport? I am aware of the fact that the shoulder width in the Ecosport isn't great for 3 adults to sit comfortably, but is the Yaris short on underthigh support and knee space as compared to the Ecosport?
Old 7th May 2018, 17:00   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikipedia87 View Post
How would you compare the leg space of the Yaris vis-a-vis the Ecosport? I am aware of the fact that the shoulder width in the Ecosport isn't great for 3 adults to sit comfortably, but is the Yaris short on underthigh support and knee space as compared to the Ecosport?
It is better than the ecosport but only marginal I would say. But then the tall boy stance of the ecosport helps - though I agree it can’t seat 3 people either. But my real concern with the Yaris was the roof and the angular recline. I found that the most uncomfortable - don’t think a 5 ft 10 inch can sit comfortably on that rear seat.
raghuveerk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 19:15   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuveerk View Post
It is better than the ecosport but only marginal I would say. But then the tall boy stance of the ecosport helps - though I agree it can’t seat 3 people either. But my real concern with the Yaris was the roof and the angular recline. I found that the most uncomfortable - don’t think a 5 ft 10 inch can sit comfortably on that rear seat.
The problem is more accentuated in middle seat for whatsoever space it offers. Since the contouring of the rear seat is such that the middle seat is higher, even a slightly shorter frame of 5 feet 7 inches or so will have his head touching the roofline. Let's put this way that ecosport is better than yaris for stuffing a third adult in. It's sad in comparison when you see the rear bench of etios sitting 3 in absolute comfort. Toyota took 1 step ahead and 2 back as far as rear seat is concerned in yaris vis a vis etios.
Old 7th May 2018, 20:18   #484
BHPian

Did Toyota skip sunroof for Yaris? A colleague was debating between City and Verna. When I suggested Yaris, he brushed it off saying it doesn't offer sunroof so he didn't even visit the showroom. This could have implications especially in a segment where many Indians shop for prestige over performance.
Old 7th May 2018, 21:07   #485
BHPian

Dear All

I finally did a test drive of Toyota Yaris last week. Please find below few points which I felt while driving the car for the first time.

1. The ingress to the car is fine, considering the fact that I am near to 6 feet in height.
2. Car interiors are good to feel, but I could feel the car to be a little smaller from inside.
3. While driving, I could hear the engine when I am trying to revv it up.
4. The car suspension is pretty good and takes care of the undulations of the road.
5. The gears slotted smoothly and each gear has good ratio for city driving.
6. Lastly the car felt good while driving, but you could feel the lack of enthusiasm in your heart.

This is my first post in this respected forum and a start of my writing on automotive topics.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th May 2018 at 04:53. Reason: Corrected 'respective' to 'respected'.
sensible_driver is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 07:47   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota YARIS begins its account in the Indian sales chart.

Starts with 1585 dispatches for April

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 08:47   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota YARIS begins its account in the Indian sales chart.

Starts with 1585 dispatches for April

Source: Auto Punditz
Speaking of which I am surprised what hit Honda city's sales. Just 3366 units if I am not wrong, while ciaz tops the charts with 5122 units in April 2018. Is Yaris effect showing on Honda city already?
Old 8th May 2018, 10:35   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Speaking of which I am surprised what hit Honda city's sales. Just 3366 units if I am not wrong, while ciaz tops the charts with 5122 units in April 2018. Is Yaris effect showing on Honda city already?
Interesting if Honda reduced the City Production in favor of the new Amaze (but did not dispatch these yet as it is not launched). In any case 1585 is a decent number for the Yaris and is higher than Vento + Rapid put together at 1276.

Here are the Vento and Rapid figures for March and April:
1. Vento March: 740 April: 466 (-37%)
2. Rapid March: 913 April: 810 (-11%)

Did the Yaris eat some of the Vento share as well given that it has taken a 37% hit?!

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 8th May 2018 at 10:37.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:41   #489
BHPian

I believe Yaris numbers are just dealer despatches and not customer sales that's what the Auto Punditz month on month report.

KK
Old 8th May 2018, 11:04   #490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Did Toyota skip sunroof for Yaris?
Yes they did. They installed a roof mounted air-con vent for the rear passengers. I think this makes more sense in dusty, hot and humid India than a sunroof. Many in India think of the sunroof as some sort of "status symbol" and it is not uncommon to see kids stand up in the car with half their bodies poking up through the sunroof while the car is in motion.

It is indeed weird how people perceive cars through their own perspectives. My wife who is several inches shorter than me had bigger issues with the relative (compared to the City) lack of legroom in the Yaris than I did. She is perceptive. I suspect this lack of rear seat legroom and 5th passenger space may deter more Yaris buyers than the engine itself. After all Toyota can launch a 2019 version with a better engine but there is little they can do about improving the rear passenger space.

Last edited by navin : 8th May 2018 at 11:11.
navin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 21:04   #491
BHPian

Toyota should have actually bought the Vios model to India, which is the actual C2 Sedan of Toyota. It has better space than the Yaris. For me it looked better too. They only bought the Yaris so that they can make huge profit by selling a C1 sedan in the C2 Segment. They should have made Yaris a replacement for old Etios.
Old 9th May 2018, 07:14   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Yes they did. They installed a roof mounted air-con vent for the rear passengers. I think this makes more sense in dusty, hot and humid India than a sunroof. Many in India think of the sunroof as some sort of "status symbol" and it is not uncommon to see kids stand up in the car with half their bodies poking up through the sunroof while the car is in motion.

It is indeed weird how people perceive cars through their own perspectives. My wife who is several inches shorter than me had bigger issues with the relative (compared to the City) lack of legroom in the Yaris than I did. She is perceptive. I suspect this lack of rear seat legroom and 5th passenger space may deter more Yaris buyers than the engine itself. After all Toyota can launch a 2019 version with a better engine but there is little they can do about improving the rear passenger space.
Totally! I also noticed the specs of the city, verna and Yaris in terms of the height. Interestingly city and Yaris are both at 1495 mm in terms of height. Verna is lower at 1475. However, I did not have any issues in terms if my head touching the roof etc in the Honda city, but in the Yaris - it sure did! It is he excessive reclining design of the Yaris that is causing this.
Old 9th May 2018, 08:01   #493
Senior - BHPian

YARIS larger than VIOS

I was reading posts on this thread mentioning they should have brought in VIOS instead of YARIS since the latter is smaller. Comparing the dimensions of both it is the Yaris that is a marginally larger than the Vios.

Yaris Sedan
Overall Length x Width x Height (mm.) 4,425 x 1,730 x 1,475
Wheelbase (mm.) 2,550
Tread Front x Rear (mm.) 1,470 / 1,460

Vios
Overall Length x Width x Height (mm.) 4,420 x 1,700 x 1,475
Wheelbase (mm.) 2,550
Tread Front x Rear (mm.) 1,455 / 1,445

Specs are from Thai Toyota website where they sell both. Here Yaris gets a lot of features and Vios' 1.5 engine.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 08:07   #494
BHPian

Does anyone know what is the claimed mileage for Yaris CVT-i for city and highway driving?
Old 9th May 2018, 10:13   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Does anyone know what is the claimed mileage for Yaris CVT-i for city and highway driving?
Looking at their ARAI figures(17.8kmpl), i expect it to be similar to that of Honda city which gives around 10 kmpl in Bangalore city and 15-16 kmpl on highways
Perhaps too early to see real world figures.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks