Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2018, 12:14   #511
BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

A query to those who test drove the manual varient, Is the clutch hard or stiff to push or is it easy?
Old 16th May 2018, 20:35   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

ZigWheels does a shootout of the sedans .Link

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-y0.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-y1.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-y2.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-y3.jpg

Quote:
The Verna doesn’t really excel at anything in particular, really. But it just manages to strike a balance that is acceptable to most buyers in this segment.

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th May 2018 at 20:38.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 21:05   #513
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
ZigWheels does a shootout of the sedans.
There are some mistakes with the fuel efficiency figures.
  • How can the Yaris get better FE in the city than on the highways ?
  • Does the Verna really give >18 kmpl on the highways ?
I hope that these figures haven't been picked up from the MID of the respective cars. The MID can show some really funny figures but that does not mean that the car is returning that displayed FE.

Last edited by OSH : 16th May 2018 at 21:07.
OSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 21:34   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
ZigWheels does a shootout of the sedans .Link
Thanks Volkman, really happy to see that Verna came out tops in this comparo. What surprised me most was the Yaris' mileage figure, they're the same for city and highway. How is that possible? Also a de rigueur Tourque converter GB of Verna beating the supposedly more efficient CVT of the Honda is also eye brow raising.

cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 22:13   #515
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Also a de rigueur Tourque converter GB of Verna beating the supposedly more efficient CVT of the Honda is also eye brow raising.
The performance figures indicate that the City's CVT was the one who beat the Verna's TC. Have a look at the first pic of D.BHPian volkman10's post. The article reads as quoted :
Quote:
The second surprise here was the Verna automatic. While we only had a small feeler of the slushbox on our first drive, spending time with the car brought out some really appreciable facets. One, it’s quite hassle-free to drive and two, it doesn’t do anything particularly extraordinary. But, in this context, that’s perfectly alright.

It gets the basics spot on, and there’s nothing more we’d expect of the engine-gearbox combination either. It knows when to shift up, knows when to hold the revs and doesn’t hesitate from dropping a few gears under kickdown either. It doesn’t mind a few spirited runs here and there, and that’s when you really begin to miss paddle shifters. Hope you’ve got a notebook in hand, Hyundai! Small hiccups come in the form of the manual mode feeling a notch slower than we’d have liked, and the AMT-like upshift-happy nature of the gearbox every time you take your foot off the gas.

And that’s something you never feel like doing when you’re in the captain seat of the Honda. It’s by far the most “raw” feeling sedan in here. Something that will definitely tickle the enthusiast’s fancy. It’s the only one here to have a proper “S” mode - that should tell you what Honda was thinking. It’s the quickest to get to 100kmph, and quicker to get going once you put the hammer down in-gear as well.

Last edited by OSH : 16th May 2018 at 22:35.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 00:02   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
The performance figures indicate that the City's CVT was the one who beat the Verna's TC. Have a look at the first pic of D.BHPian volkman10's post. The article reads as quoted :
I am talking about the mileage figures where the City is bested by the Verna. I had taken a TD of both these cars last year over the same route and more or less similar traffic conditions, Verna returned around 11 KMPL, the same as the City. Of course these numbers are per the MID.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 17th May 2018 at 00:03.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 00:46   #517
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
I am talking about the mileage figures where the City is bested by the Verna. I had taken a TD of both these cars last year over the same route and more or less similar traffic conditions, Verna returned around 11 KMPL, the same as the City. Of course these numbers are per the MID.
Sorry, I misunderstood your previous statement regarding the gearbox.

I agree with what you experienced during the TDs of the Verna and City, they are both neck-to-neck when it comes to returning good FE. My close friend owns the new Verna petrol and I have the 2017 City, we have pit our cars against each other many times on the highways and in the city then tanked up together to check the FE, both cars return nearly the same kmpl as long as we don't frequent the higher rev range. The figures mentioned in the article seem to be taken at any random time and hence there are such huge variations.

Anyone wanting to know the real FE numbers of the Verna and City should read through the official TeamBHP review threads of both the cars where BHPians have shared the figures they get. For the Yaris' FE it is better to wait for the official review on our forum, I doubt a 1.5L petrol engined car can get you >16 kmpl in the city.

Last edited by OSH : 17th May 2018 at 00:49.
Old 17th May 2018, 07:19   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Well the only VFM variant according to me is the J CVT or G Manual, For around 12Lakhs OTR Bangalore. What are the alternatives in this price range ? Not many !!
There are several petrol cars up to 12.5L OTR Bangalore both in manual as well as automatic, starting from the Aspire Titanium auto going up to the City V MT.

Close to the Yaris G MT which is over 13L on road Bangalore are a lot of automatics, namely the Verna EX AT, Ciaz Alpha AT, Rapid Ambition AT, Vento Comfortline TSI AT, and far below that is the Sunny XV AT.

Stretching the budget by approximately 10% will bring the City V CVT, Verna SX(O) MT, Rapid Style AT, and Vento Highline TSI AT all within range too.

There are a lot of options available within this price range with both quality and reliability (Verna, City, Ciaz) and performance (City, Vento) on offer. With a 421 litre boot and diesel automatic available in the new Amaze, things are even more interesting if compact sedans like it and the Aspire are considered.

Note: All prices considered are from Carwale.
VeluM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 11:15   #519
BHPian

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
  • How can the Yaris get better FE in the city than on the highways ?
  • Does the Verna really give >18 kmpl on the highways ?

The Yaris' city figures are actually hard to digest but I guess it has to do with its tuning. It drives the best at the lower revvs which means it upshifts earlier. It's not meant for spirited driving any how. This gets reflected in its highway drives where we need to reach higher RPMs during a tricky overtake.

It was very well pointed out in the review that in a crowded C- segment Yaris has managed to carve a niche for itself. The auto is also tuned the best for the city driving where it excels, comes with driver friendly features like powered seat, good MID, etc. The sound insulation and NVH in general rivals the more expensive sedans. The interiors look premium, save for the HU and comes with a great ride. The rear space is at it is at a premium and that's not it's USP any how. The safety is also the best. So it's a good alternative and is positioned well.

Quiet impressed with Yaris, even though it's not my kind of car!

Last edited by Waspune : 17th May 2018 at 11:21.
Waspune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 14:55   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
snip...

Quiet impressed with Yaris, even though it's not my kind of car!
Well said, with the traffic situation getting worse by the day there are hardly any opportunities for the enthusiasts in us to have fun. Automatics are the need of the hour and if an automatic that returns decent mileage while at it, that's icing on the cake.
The Verna does manage to strike a happy middle path though, but yes a test drive in the Yaris is warranted.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 17th May 2018 at 15:01.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 17:36   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Well said, with the traffic situation getting worse by the day there are hardly any opportunities for the enthusiasts in us to have fun. Automatics are the need of the hour and if an automatic that returns decent mileage while at it, that's icing on the cake.
The Verna does manage to strike a happy middle path though, but yes a test drive in the Yaris is warranted.

Cheers
Yup the Verna is a great offering as well. It is the most VFM car in that segment by a mile. The engines, both petrol and diesel are quite potent and both of them come with an auto transmission, the quality inside out is great and the suspension is also a lot better than before. It comes with its share of goodies and is priced quite attractively. I like the striking orange color

Last edited by Waspune : 17th May 2018 at 18:06.
Old 17th May 2018, 21:26   #522
BHPian

Quote:

I hope that these figures haven't been picked up from the MID of the respective cars. The MID can show some really funny figures but that does not mean that the car is returning that displayed FE.

Hey OSH, answering your questions point by point. I drove the cars for the fuel test, so I guess I'm the best person to answer this. No, the figures are not picked up from the MID.

The Yaris' FE in the city was higher by 0.09kmpl. I think we can call it even-stevens. The reason for that efficiency is that the car is in its "Eco" mode/zone at city speeds. At 40-60kmph, the tacho is ticking just over 1000rpm.

On the highway, the Yaris' CVT keeps fiddling the ratios a bit too often. Between 90-110kmph, it keeps dropping and upshifting "gears". When you use part throttle for an overtake, it revs up the engine unnecessarily.

On the other hand, the Verna sticks to 6th. Even when you prod the throttle, it pulls in the same year.

PS: There's a video on how we test cars on the tube, you're free to check that out.

Happy to clear out any more doubts you'd have!

Last edited by Cartman : 17th May 2018 at 21:42.
Cartman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 21:45   #523
Senior - BHPian

A couple of yummy looking Yaris's from a Thai forum!
Im sure a lot of people will apply mods on the plain vanilla looking factory spec Yaris.
Attached Thumbnails
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-24131686_1587307681325626_8995098263203639666_o.jpg  

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-30706221_1642653345850399_8322013858548987975_n.jpg  

nik_kapur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 09:50   #524
BHPian

Yes, I agree comparo is not very consistent. Lots of discrepancies between text and numbers. Another one is braking distance, AFAIK yaris gets all four disc and city gets disc only in front. I do see Yaris has more Kerb weight but still I expected all four disk brakes to have more bite when it comes to stop distance and time.

This comparo makes city look like an overall better package with some shortfalls here and there.
Old 18th May 2018, 10:22   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelydude77 View Post
Another one is braking distance, AFAIK yaris gets all four disc and city gets disc only in front. I do see Yaris has more Kerb weight but still I expected all four disk brakes to have more bite when it comes to stop distance and time.
The advantage of disc brakes is not biting force. It is in their ability to run cooler than drums and hence being a lot less prone to fade. You should not expect shorter stopping distance in 2 equivalent cars just because one of them has four discs and the other makes do with two. You will never find disc brakes in heavy applications.

Apart from that, there are many other factors affecting braking distance, like weight (as you correctly mentioned), tire size and quality, weight distribution, front and rear brake bias and calibration of the ABS.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks