Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 11:01   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Toyota Yaris bags 5,000 bookings; waiting period is now up to 2 months.

Quote:
Over 2/3rds of the bookings have been for the CVT automatic variants of the Yaris
link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th May 2018 at 11:04.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 17:55   #542
BHPian

Test drove the Yaris twice in the last week. Once in Mysore, second time in Bangalore yesterday. Overall, very impressive car. The ride, refinement and build quality are all very good. No visible corner cutting. Its built to a cost, but that seems to be a higher one compared to City/Ciaz.

If your usage is 4 passengers and predominantly in the city, the CVT is a no brainer. The 5th seat is useless because of the way the hand rest protrudes into rear leg space. Don't know how that passed QC.

I don't know current car prices in India , but 14.5 for the V manual seemed ok.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th May 2018 at 19:29. Reason: Typo fixed. "test"="rest".
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 00:47   #543
BHPian

Friends, anyone who has checked out the "G" variant confirm whether it has manual AC or FATC?

The confusion arises as Toyota website specification mentions manual AC for "G" variant whereas brochure downloaded from site mentions FATC for "G" variant.

Website specification snapshot (https://www.toyotayaris.in/#specifications)

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-website_fatc.png

Brochure snapshot

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-brochure_fatc.png
Old 28th May 2018, 13:28   #544
Senior - BHPian

Let me address the elephant in the room. When is the official review going to be up? I am waiting every day. Meanwhile I am yet to see a Yaris in action. How come waiting period for the car is two months. Are they that slow to produce or is it a marketing gimmick to perceive demand among customers?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th May 2018 at 13:36.
Old 28th May 2018, 14:49   #545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Let me address the elephant in the room. When is the official review going to be up? I am waiting every day. Meanwhile I am yet to see a Yaris in action. How come waiting period for the car is two months. Are they that slow to produce or is it a marketing gimmick to perceive demand among customers?
Deliveries started only last week. Official reviews take time and just like with other cars, this will take a while.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 16:07   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Isn't this a low number? Considering segment in which it is launched, i guess its a pretty low number. If this is the initial response, i guess after 6 months it will not even sell more than 1500 - 2000 per month.

Funny part is for mere 5000 bookings also they have 2 months waiting period
Old 28th May 2018, 17:58   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post

The confusion arises as Toyota website specification mentions manual AC for "G" variant whereas brochure downloaded from site mentions FATC for "G" variant.
It appears someone from Toyota is monitoring this thread. The website is now updated and FATC is available from "G" variant onwards.
Old 28th May 2018, 20:09   #548
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Isn't this a low number? Considering segment in which it is launched, i guess its a pretty low number.
Very low indeed. The 2017 Honda City which was a mere facelift and the new gen Hyundai Verna had done much better.

14th February, NDTV Auto
Quote:
Introducing the much awaited 2017 Honda City facelift in the country earlier today, Honda Cars India also revealed that the C-segment sedan has already garnered over 5000 bookings. The company confirmed that the City facelift received the bookings within 12 days since order books opened with over 70 per cent of the bookings being made for the petrol variant.
17th March, NDTV Auto
Quote:
The 2017 Honda City facelift was launched just about a month ago and the company said that the car has received over 14,000 bookings.
6th May, NDTV Auto
Quote:
The 2017 Honda City facelift has received over 25,000 orders since it was launched in India in February 2017.
31st August, NDTV Auto
Quote:
Bookings for the recently launched 2017 Hyundai Verna sedan have recently breached the 7,000 mark. Launched on August 22, 2017, bookings for the new Verna sedan commence in the first week of August and over 4,000 booking came before the launch itself. This means the company received over 3000 bookings for the new-gen Hyundai Verna in about 8 days, which alone is quite commendable.

Last edited by OSH : 28th May 2018 at 20:10.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 12:11   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Isn't this a low number?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Very low indeed. The 2017 Honda City which was a mere facelift and the new gen Hyundai Verna had done much better.
I think I know at least one reason. Indians live in joint families and often enjoy travelling in groups. Now what does that have to do with the Yaris numbers... let me elaborate.

I had my heart set on the Yaris. The ride quality, the low NVH, and the overall build are impressive for a mid sized sedan. But this car was being bought for my wife.

A classmate of mine (who normally lives outside India) also needed a car for his mom so he too was interested in the Yaris. We decided to book 2.

Then our wives decided to take a test drive. 2 of their friends joined in. I pitied the poor sales guy when 4 chatty women descended on him. Anyway they came back with a verdict. No dice! No can do!

So we (my friend and I) decided to find out why. See Indians love to travel in groups and these 4 women are no different. They want to be in one car so they can yack. With a 5th person as a driver the Yaris's rear seat is very limiting. Whoever sits in the center, sits rather precariously on a hump with the oddly placed front arm rest aimed squarely at their pelvis.

So later that evening my friend and I took our wives for dinner. At dinner we took note of every car that arrived and almost each car had more than 4 passengers, some had 6. Many of these cars were small hatchbacks. So if a small hatchback can happily accommodate 5 or 6 and the Yaris cannot with the same comfort, it is a serious drawback; at least in the opinion of our wives.

That said, and after a bit of convincing ("how many times are you girls more than 3?") we have still not decided to cancel our orders but and the girls have offered to go for one more test drive this weekend.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings, but with the Yaris, I can hear her warming up her pipes.

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2018 at 16:34.
navin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 12:46   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think I know at least one reason. Indians live in joint families and often enjoy travelling in groups. Now what does that have to do with the Yaris numbers... let me elaborate.
Bullseye!! I was at Toyota last week to drop Fortuner for service and was interested in seeing the Yaris in flesh (I've been following this thread because I'll be trading in my Swift for an automatic sedan next year). I saw multiple walk ins for Yaris and I distinctly remember 3 families discussing among themselves about the third passenger in the back scenario! One of the families even had their kid saying lets leave grandma at home for trips and received a death stare from the dad

Except the back seats I found it really is a good package if you go in for the G trim especially for small families ( 4 or less members ) who are upgrading from a hatch. Its got CVT, ABS, airbags, bulletproof Toyota reliability and with it good resale. But will it rake in good numbers is something we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2018 at 16:26. Reason: spelling error, typo
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 16:10   #551
BHPian

I booked yaris G MT on April 13th, after the price announcement as G rocketed to 12.86L (OTR Chennai) changed it to J MT, now the dealer says waiting period for this variant is 30-40 days, with just 1 J CVT vehicle delivered so far in Chennai, I am not sure what's going on.

Surprisingly VX MT will be delivered sooner I guess. Anyways, I will wait for tBHP official review before taking my decision, either will stick to yaris or will go for the obvious choice CITY V MT
Old 29th May 2018, 16:23   #552
BHPian

While going through the thread, I see a lot of people on the fence, due to the middle rear seat protrusion. Has anyone considered a seat swap/seat reconstruction to get rid of the hump and rendering the car as an overall winner? Is that possible?
Old 29th May 2018, 16:30   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
While going through the thread, I see a lot of people on the fence, due to the middle rear seat protrusion. Has anyone considered a seat swap/seat reconstruction to get rid of the hump and rendering the car as an overall winner? Is that possible?
Firstly modifying the seat is not an easy proposition. As it stands, the current Yaris, for most practical purposes, is a 4 seater when everything else in it's class as well a class or 2 below can seat 5 (6 in a pinch).

Secondly if you are spending 14-18L (depending on the version) should you not expect that someone in Toyota had understood the average Indian customer/family?

Toyota seems to have forgotten that this car (Yaris) is not without competitors - City anyone? Verna perhaps?

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2018 at 16:38.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 16:40   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Toyota seems to have forgotten that this car (Yaris) is not without competitors - City anyone? Verna perhaps?

Very True, which is why I am a City CVT ZX owner . Someone like Unique or Orchis should be able to make seat covers with enough padding to get the 2 side flush with centre contraption. Surely it will eat up on the comfort etc, but it was just a thought, feeling pitious for the prospective buyers.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 16:57   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Someone like Unique or Orchis should be able to make seat covers with enough padding to get the 2 side flush with centre contraption. Surely it will eat up on the comfort etc, but it was just a thought, feeling pitious for the prospective buyers.
Looks like you have not seen Yaris rear seat in person. Side seats head room is just enough to accommodate 5'10" tall person. Any extra padding will seriously impact the head room. Center seat head room is even less, and my head was almost touching the roof (my height is 5'5"). Front seat arm rest protrusion makes the matter worse. I can only imagine if someone (male) seated at rear center , not wearing seat belt, and driver decided brake suddenly.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed