Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2018, 14:03   #586
BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota Yaris claims its space in the crowded Sedan segment. Honda City loses out. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz is the king of this segment. Vento and Rapid will find it tough as no face-lifts can rekindle buyers in its current offering.

Attachment 1768786

Source: Auto Punditz

I feel a chunk of Ciaz's sale comes from the commercial sector too as it has become quite a popular choice among the premium fleet operators as well as government officials owing to the Maruti's reliability along with the low price tag.

Secondly, as per what I've noticed, private consumers entering the C Segment are now preferring Verna more lately due to it's overall package and at the price point it is offered in. The car is almost cheaper by 1.5 Lakhs when compared to Yaris VX AT.

Then again, a lot of consumers who has experienced Toyotas before or are owning them loved the Yaris for what it offers as an overall package. Recently, my dad's friend was going gaga over the premium essence of the vehicle.
His words
Quote:
"You kids want a powerful engine with so many fancy features like massager (He meant Verna's Cooling Seats) and LED headlamps, loaded touchscreen audio etc. But this new Toyota offers what we want. It's a no nonsense product which is extremely safe to drive, has a good engine for city purpose. Low power also means better mileage and has all the necessary features in the mid level trims. On top of that just like my Innova I know this car will serve me until I reach my deathbed 10-15 years from now without a hiccup. Toyota cars are an investment for me but you kids won't understand that."
Hence, to sum it up people who already owns a couple of vehicles will end up buying this more instead of first time buyers. It's going to impress a lot of our dads and uncles for it's sporty yet sophisticated kind of design along with the overall package and for such buyers price tag doesn't matters. Initially their choice was City eyes closed, no matter what competition offers but now it has switched to the Yaris owing to the Toyota Brand name. I feel City doesn't have any niche left for itself anymore and I for one prefer the 1.6 of the Verna more than the i-vtec as for the facts how many times do we even redline in the urban hustle?
Verna does everything what City does in a better way. For the brand factor, Toyota indeed has a better value thanks to its expensive portfolio. The budget conscious has Ciaz. Hence, why to spend for City anymore?
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 10:38   #587
BHPian

Got a chance to drive the VX CVT for a good distance. Here are my impressions.

Engine and transmission:

City driving:

In the city, 'drive' mode is a boon. The creep function moves the car at 5-6 kmph without throttle input. All you need in the city is minimal throttle inputs to potter around. Easy, convenient and peaceful! However, if you're in stand still traffic with the transmission in drive mode, you'll feel some vibrations on the pedal and you know that the car is making efforts to move.

Highway driving:
  • Drive mode falls short here. Every throttle input makes the engine whine at about 4-5k RPM and the engine sound filters into the cabin quite noticeably. It is not even an enthusiast friendly sound as the engine 'seems' to be squirming and struggling to gain momentum.
  • This is where manual mode with paddle shifters shines. Once into manual mode, the acceleration is brisk and the engine note is enjoyable. What more, while braking, switching down ratios aids engine braking very effectively and is great fun as well.
  • The steering has no feel and feedback and feels light even at high speeds. Not to an enthusiasts taste at all.
  • The suspension is extremely well tuned and soaks up potholes very well. Ride quality at all speeds is fabulous. These according to me are the USPs of this car.
  • One myth of mine that you can't be quick on a highway with a CVT car (Read QUICK, not FAST) was quashed.

In a nutshell, drive mode for the city and manual mode with paddle shifters for the highway and ghats!

Exteriors, Interiors, Build quality and features.
  • The sheet metal thickness neither feels too flimsy, nor too thick. Probably marginally better than the Honda city.
  • The overall proportions of the car seem a size smaller than the competitors. It looks and feels narrow.
  • Lot of chrome on the outside, everywhere! The front grill looks garish, as opined by majority already.
  • Once inside, the first thing you notice is the hard plastic everywhere. The pattern used on the black plastic on the dash is disappointing to say the least. Absolutely no upmarket feel. The pseudo leather stitching is too tacky. My sub 10lakh Baleno feels more premium than this! This is almost a deal breaker for a buyer who's looking for premium feel (Read Hyundai).
  • The MID and the touchscreen system are not very user friendly overall, I felt. We just couldn't figure how to input the destination name on the navigation and gave up! Android auto and Apple car play are glaring misses.
  • No automatic dimming IRVM is a glaring miss again! Automatic headlamps and rain sensing wipers are good to have.
  • Slot into reverse gear and you'll see the display on the screen. But NO guidelines at all, fixed or adaptive. Seriously, Toyota?
  • Front parking sensors are effective. But every time a two wheeler comes close to you in traffic (Read Always!), It starts beeping. You'll get irritated and end up switching it off. However, it can be handy especially for new drivers, for parking.
  • All adjustments for the driver seat are powered. This feature is a boon and helps you get the right position in no time.
  • The overall build seems to be fine, although we could hear a faint rattle from the dash.
  • The rear seat seems like it's placed a tad too low. Tall neck restraints of the front seats add to this feel. Width is sufficient for 2.5 adults. Knee room is just sufficient. Overall, interior space doesn't hold a candle against City.
  • The roof mounted blower along with ambient lighting not only gives a premium touch, but is more practical and functional than a sun roof any day!

Overall, will I buy this? Maybe, but the top variants aren't VFM. The G CVT seems like good VFM for a second car (city runabout) that everyone at home can drive!

Last edited by Added_flavor : 10th June 2018 at 10:55.
Added_flavor is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 12:09   #588

Planning to book the G CVT or V CVT by end of this month. Tilting towards V for the alloy wheel and reverse camera . I guess the aftermarket ones would be too much hassle and not worth the hassle considering the warranty issues as well. Any comments on the aftermarket Reverse camera experience will help me between now and end of the month . My dealer in Kerala said the Car is available immediately on paying cash . No booking is required
Old 18th June 2018, 17:23   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhardy View Post
My dealer in Kerala said the Car is available immediately on paying cash . No booking is required
Strangely Nippon did guarantee immediate delivery of V CVT upon receipt of payment to a family friend of mine too !! J CVT and VX CVT are carrying a waiting period. We were only there for enquiry and he did book a Honda City so we didn't ask for further details.
As regarding Alloys and Reverse cam, ask the showroom accessory guys to give you a quote for the same, if the quote is more or less near the difference between variants then go for the V CVT. Else go the accessory way. If it's done from the showroom itself you have very less to worry !
Old 18th June 2018, 19:15   #590
Senior - BHPian

I think better reason for V version is the stock-fitted IR glass, which makes sure that you are protected from the sun as well as cops.
Old 18th June 2018, 19:36   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I think better reason for V version is the stock-fitted IR glass, which makes sure that you are protected from the sun as well as cops.
High Solar Energy Absorbing Front Windshield with Infrared Cut Off is available in all variants. In my opinion, you should go for "V" variant if you are safety conscious as "V" and "VX" variants come with rear disc brakes which are not available in "J" and "G" variants and cannot be fitted as accessory.
Old 18th June 2018, 22:02   #592
BHPian

IMHO V is better than G, when spending 13 lakhs its ok to expect some premiumness (even alloy wheel is a premium feature in case of Yaris ) , things I like in V are blackened headlamps , all four discs, alloys, cruise control , front sensors and reverse camera.
Old 18th June 2018, 23:45   #593
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note: Our Yaris Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

I was thinking that 'Acoustic & Vibration Control Glass' would start from V version, but apparently it starts at G version itself. So I support the G version too.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2018 at 11:21. Reason: Linking to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks