Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2018, 15:49   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Its competition was the Honda City and Nissan Tiida then.

I am sure this will be sold as a "premium" offering in India with a price that will make one's eyeballs pop out in surprise. Ideally Toyota should have brought Yaris to India instead of Etios, however with the Etios already here and now pretty much a cabbie's favorite, this needs to be positioned higher to justify a car between the Etios and the Corolla.
It is a competition to the Honda City even now. And if the likes of the City are considered as a premium car, so should be the Yaris.

I agree that Toyota should have got the Yaris to India instead of the Etios. Infact the Etios is almost like the Vios/Soluna which I had seen in Bangkok way back in 2001.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 16:46   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this India-targeted Yaris is going to have upgrades, but I had the misfortune of getting a Yaris hatch here during a recent car rental. On record, it has got to be the most regrettable car I have driven in the US and I have driven other economy-segment car during my initial rentals. I can summarize the Yaris here as an exercise in reminding customers of how far back a user experience can be pared. The competition - even in that economy segment here, seems to have more respectable offerings than the Yaris.
theMAG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 16:58   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Not sure if this India-targeted Yaris is going to have upgrades, but I had the misfortune of getting a Yaris hatch here during a recent car rental. On record, it has got to be the most regrettable car I have driven in the US and I have driven other economy-segment car during my initial rentals.
Well, well...look who just posted!

Mag, you know what I have noticed? The most basic cars, out of the compact/economy segment in the US, seem to make for luxury cars here.

The Civic in the US is one of the most cheap and basic sedans (probably the most reliable one too), but it somehow has sold in India as a luxury sedan.

The Chevy Cruze in the US is again considered cheap, basic and small. So is the Yaris.

How come the Cruze enjoyed a successful run as a Rs.18 L luxury car and now the Yaris seems set to join the party?

Do they stretch the models length-wise and sideways? An analysis of these models' dimensions would be interesting.
Old 15th March 2018, 18:33   #124
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Well, well...look who just posted!

Mag, you know what I have noticed? The most basic cars, out of the compact/economy segment in the US, seem to make for luxury cars here.
It is due to the disparity in the purchasing power between the two nations.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 21:50   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Those who are planning to be early birds I will suggest waiting before buying one.
How long to wait ideally before taking a plunge?

Thanks.
Old 15th March 2018, 22:01   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How long to wait ideally before taking a plunge? Thanks.
Ideally 3-6 months if not longer. Of course this depends on the level of localisation.

Sadly, TKM's latest track record with the Crysta (not other vehicles AFAIK) shows evidence of cost cutting which has led to an impact on quality from what I read in owners' reviews.

Let them iron out the small bugs that will be inevitable in a new model.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 12:18   #127
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from Toyota, lady explaining the usual stuff. Told her that i want to see the car in person and want to know about the pricing. She forwarded my request to my nearest dealer saying they will approach you with the test drive car !!

Looks like pretty rapid developments according to me after Auto expo. Though i am yet to see the car in person, my request is being forwarded for a test drive.

Anyways, i guess it wont be long before we should hear more on media drive etc.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 14:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

From the pictures I am seeing, the wheels look extremely small and there seems to be a big gap between the wheels and the wheel cut outs. The wheels simply do not fill up the space. The interiors look really uninspiring and probably more befitting an Etios priced car than anything more.

So I really think Toyota is going to price this starting way below the City (probably Ciaz area) and even the top variant will undercut both the City and the Verna considering the overall product offering and value. After all even Toyota must be aware that they can't sell nonsense at a nonsensical price. They tried once and failed already and their overall product offering does not seem to have improved considerably from the Etios era. I say this as I find that the Crysta, even though highly over priced, is a significant upgrade in all areas over the classic Innova, but the Yaris doesn't seem to be such a upgrade over the Etios.

Last edited by SPARKled : 16th March 2018 at 14:34.
Old 16th March 2018, 14:39   #129
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Toyota Yaris bookings open

Toyota has confirmed that it will start taking bookings for the new Yaris mid-size sedan from the April 2018. However, according to some media reports, dealers have already started accepting bookings. It has been reported that the booking amount is set at Rs. 50,000 and deliveries are being promised in the first half of May 2018.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-yaris.jpg

The Toyota Yaris was showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo. The car comes with automatic projector headlights with LED DRLs, fog lamps and LED tail lights. The Yaris rides on alloy wheels and comes equipped with disc brakes at all four corners. On the inside, the Yaris gets features like a 3-spoke, multi-functional steering wheel, cruise control, rain sensing wipers, power adjustable driver seat, roof-mounted air-conditioning vents, ambient lighting and electric ORVMs. It gets leather interiors with rear centre armrest and the centre console houses a 7.0-inch infotainment system with navigation and gesture control.

The Yaris will be available with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine. The engine is expected to have an output of around 106 BHP and will be offered with a choice of a 6-speed manual or 7-speed CVT with paddle shift. As part of the safety package, the Yaris gets 7 airbags, ABS, EBD, hill start assist, stability control, traction control, tyre pressure monitoring system, front and rear parking sensors and reversing camera.

Source: Autocar India
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 14:58   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
From the pictures I am seeing, the wheels look extremely small and there seems to be a big gap between the wheels and the wheel cut outs. The wheels simply do not fill up the space. The interiors look really uninspiring and probably more befitting an Etios priced car than anything more.

So I really think Toyota is going to price this starting way below the City (probably Ciaz area) and even the top variant will undercut both the City and the Verna considering the overall product offering and value. After all even Toyota must be aware that they can't sell nonsense at a nonsensical price. They tried once and failed already and their overall product offering does not seem to have improved considerably from the Etios era. I say this as I find that the Crysta, even though highly over priced, is a significant upgrade in all areas over the classic Innova, but the Yaris doesn't seem to be such a upgrade over the Etios.
To me the interiors look decent. The City and Ciaz don't have great interiors, Verna and Vento do have slightly better ones. 7 airbags, all round disc, touch based music interface with gesture control, more modern look, Auto box, period correct interiors, roof mounted AC and many more- All these are good enough for me to consider this as a good upgrade to Etios.

Looks are subjective and any new car has enough likes/dislikes(applies to even City, Verna, Ciaz). On pricing, probably they can't ask for a premium as Yaris is a new brand unlike Innova. To put a formidable fight, they will have to undercut City and probably Verna as well.

Last edited by PrideRed : 16th March 2018 at 14:59.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 15:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
To me the interiors look decent. The City and Ciaz don't have great interiors, Verna and Vento do have slightly better ones. 7 airbags, all round disc, touch based music interface with gesture control, more modern look, Auto box, period correct interiors, roof mounted AC and many more- All these are good enough for me to consider this as a good upgrade to Etios.
But, the fact remains that there'll always be people who rate the car based on how soft and classy the plastic feels regardless of the presence or absence of the very important bits you mentioned.

In addition to what you mentioned, the most important factor for me is the peace of ownership with brand Toyota. Their engineering robustness and durability is one of a kind. Having tasted that once with the Etios, it's very difficult for me to think of other brands.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 16:26   #132
BHPian

How I wish that the Yaris was available when I was car-shopping in September last year!
Went from a 2008 Civic to an S-Cross 1.6. Although I love the power of the S-Cross, the Yaris would've been a great mixture of legendary Toyota reliability, comfort, and space.
yash1229 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 17:01   #133
BHPian

This should be an interesting battle. I think it's the first time Toyota will take on all 3, i.e. Honda, Hyundai and Maruti in the same segment and in a serious manner.

I hope Maruti and Hyundai take the battle to the Innova & Fortuner segment ASAP so that customers can be the benefactors.
avdhesh15 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 17:26   #134
BHPian

Lanson Toyota in Koyambedu, Chennai seems to be accepting Yaris bookings for Rs. 1 Lakh. Seems to be quite a lot when Toyota themselves are asking just RS. 50,000. And going by history, I guess this car is going to be priced way above the competition!
Old 17th March 2018, 00:04   #135
BHPian

Toyota Yaris @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
How I wish that the Yaris was available when I was car-shopping in September last year!
Went from a 2008 Civic to an S-Cross 1.6. Although I love the power of the S-Cross, the Yaris would've been a great mixture of legendary Toyota reliability, comfort, and space.

I have a different perspective. I feel there are a handful of cars in India that are reliable as well as fun to drive . You should feel fortunate for owning one such car.

With respect to Yaris you are missing on extra airbags. S-Cross should be equal or even better at comfort and space in viz v Yaris. You also get better power and FE.

Last edited by Waspune : 17th March 2018 at 00:08.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks