Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2018, 13:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Mod Note: Our Harrier Report has been taken live at this link (Tata Harrier : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

-----------------------------------

Big shoutout to Vid6639 for shooting these pictures and videos & his coverage of the Auto Expo. Thanks for sharing, man!

Tata Motors has showcased the H5X Concept at the 2018 Auto Expo. The vehicle provides a glimpse of the design language and technology that we will get to see in the company's future SUVs.

H5X is the biggest crowd puller at the Tata Motors pavilion. It is powered by a diesel engine:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Front end bears a definite resemblance to the Tata Hexa and the Range Rover Evoque. Notice the detailing on the grille. It's present all over the car at various places:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-2.jpg

Rear windshield is small. One can find a hint of the Nexon's styling here:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-3.jpg

H5X Concept has a monocoque structure. It uses Tata Motors' "Optimal Modular Efficient Global Advanced" Architecture, which has been developed in collaboration with Land Rover. This architecture is derived from the Land Rover D8 architecture:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-4.jpg

H5X is the first SUV to sport Tata's Impact 2.0 design language. It measures 4,575 mm in length, 1,960 mm in width and 1,686 mm in height with a wheelbase of 2,740 mm:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-5.jpg

Slim headlamps sit high at the front, while massive foglamps are located on the edges of the front bumper:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-6.jpg

Sharped edged ORVMs with integrated turn-indicators. Notice the Y design theme on the ORVM indicators. This is seen across the car:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-7.jpg

Massive 22-inch alloy wheels 265/40 section tyres:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-8.jpg

Lots of cuts and creases on the body. Roofline slopes down towards the rear. Notice how small the rear quarter window is:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-10.jpg

Side steps fold in or out. They sit flush with the body cladding when folded in:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-10a.jpg

Here's a short video for reference:

Snazzy rear fog lamps:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-11.jpg

Dashboard has a leather-wrapped top and wood and silver inserts. Instrumentation is similar to cars from premium manufacturers with no physical dials. Infotainment system and climate control also feature touch controls:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-12.jpg

Leather-wrapped steering wheel has a flat top and bottom and touch controls:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-13.jpg

Corner air-con vents have a piano black finish with white inserts and H5X branding:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-14.jpg

Gear selector is a rotary knob, much like the ones found in Jaguar Land Rover vehicles:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-15.jpg

Well contoured and supportive front seats. The top part of the seat is made of jute whereas the bottom is leather:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-16.jpg

Wide rear seat entertainment screens:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-17.jpg

Doorpads sport leather, fabric, faux wood and silver inserts:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-18.jpg

Rear features a couple of captain seats with a centre console with a touchpad for operating various functions:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-19.jpg

Here's a short video of the touchpad in action:

A portion of the seatbacks of the front seat folds down flat so that the big boss can rest his feet on it. Notice how the head restraint folds forward:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-20.jpg

Panoramic sunroofs are fast becoming common. Tata Motors is not going to be left behind either:
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-21.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2019 at 11:14. Reason: Link to review
Aditya is offline   (112) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 15:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 15:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Thanks for the coverage, Viddy & Addy.

No matter how many critics are quick to point out that it's overdone, over-cooked, over-designed, over-futuristic, un-Tata like, etc., the truth is that this is the freshest design to come out on an SUV in the past decade (yes, including the XUV500).

Full marks to the Tata design team headed by Pratap Bose who have poured their heart and soul into the H5X, with plenty of inputs by the Jaguar-Land Rover team, and the result is there for all to see. The Impact 2.0 silhouette is refreshing, evolutionary and a stonker. I am sure the H5X will turn out to be a milestone for the entire SUV market, and future SUVs will generously borrow design cues from this.

And, before the critics jump the gun again, the H5X displayed here is still a concept. We hear from Pratap Bose that the final production-ready model will be at least 80% faithful to this design, which would mean normalising the very funky head lamps/tail lights (seen here) and the interiors, so until the final product is released, let us wait patiently and reserve our comments.

On my part, I am totally smitten by the H5X. Hopefully by mid-2019, it will be standing proudly in my garage.

Excellent work, Tata. Keep it up!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th February 2018 at 15:49. Reason: added a word.
RavenAvi is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 15:44   #4
BHPian

If the production model of this car is even (at least) 25% in terms of the kit, engine and design elements (combined), then we have a mouth watering SUV from Tata.

My wishlist would be a 2.5 diesel churning out 180 bhp (A man can dream).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
We hear from Pratap Bose that the final production-ready model will be at least 80% faithful to this design
And it looks like part of my dream is already coming true. Way to go, Tata.

Last edited by sleepyhead148 : 8th February 2018 at 15:47. Reason: Insert quote from previous comment
sleepyhead148 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 16:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excellent car. Now everyone will want it at Creta pricing :-)

At a targeted 2019 launch (?) I hope this comes in at current Compass pricing.
narayan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 16:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Going by this

"H5X and is the first SUV to sport Tata's Impact 2.0 design language. It measures 4,575 mm in length, 1,960 mm in width and 1,686 mm in height with a wheelbase of 2,740 mm"

This is wider than the Hexa! as long as the Safari and a tad bit shorter in length! Space should not be an issue at all!
smsrini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 16:47   #7
BHPian

Wow. This looks uber-cool.

And with Tata , the pricing will be icing on the cake. It might lower than the compass.

I am eagerly waiting to see the production ready one and the engine(s) they are gonna use.
Hope it comes with a nice auto box like in Hexa. If that's the case, my Nexon might be going and H5X will be coming home.
jithudigitised is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 17:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The single biggest leap in car design in India ! There is so much in this that it can actually be launched world-wide. Now the wait begins to see what the final production would be like.

The one point I find not very good is the grab-bar on the arm rest. It does not look at a natural angle. Like - if you keep your arm on the arm rest, the angle of the grab bar does not look to match the angle your wrist will make with your lower-arm. Have seen this in many Tata cars. Havent observed how many other brands have this.
condor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 17:21   #9
BHPian

Wow! Stunning design! Great work by TATA & Kudos to the Design Engineers

I am bitten by H5X bug & desperately waiting for the launch. Hoping for later 2018 or early 2019.

I have already found the Replacement for my Duster

Fingers crossed on the pricing & also to see the 7 seater version ( H7X )
RAHS is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 17:46   #10
Team-BHP Support

Truly great work from TATA. The front end looks a bit bland on the concept, but i feel that would be rectified in the production version when normal headlamps are factored into the design.

I would like to see TATA place this directly in between the Creta and Jeep Compass, thus rivalling both these established products.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 17:48   #11
BHPian

Absolutely love it to bits. This is a giant leap for Tata and apart from the profits they are receiving through JLR, this design input actually adds more value to Tata's stable.

Lot of areas like the pilot seat infotainment, recess in the front passenger back, sun roof, infotainment, and in general the design will appeal for a lot. Big competition already for the segment leaders and the aspirants too.

Definitely on my list. Very proud of Tata.
zavegur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 17:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am left speechless, this is by far the Showstopper for this edition of Auto Expo. Well done to Tata and the design team. Of course some elements are OTT like the huge rims, headlights etc and will be toned down and even then this car will stand out among the crowd.
This is one car that I am 'aspiring' to own, never thought I'd be saying this for a Tata car. Well done!!
hiren.mistry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 18:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Excellent car. Now everyone will want it at Creta pricing :-)
Leave aside striking design, features, bigger engine, and expensive discovery platform H5X is a size bigger than Creta. Here is size comparison

Creta 4270 x 1780 x 1630

H5X 4575 x 1960 x 1686

12-14 L ex-showroom for base variant is what my prediction

Last edited by Latheesh : 8th February 2018 at 18:05.
Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 18:30   #14
BANNED

I went through the interior pics and felt that this is mre biased towards the production vehicle and less towards the concept (4 captain seats make sense, I want it that way - though a niche segment, but can be offered).

Overall, with the size, right engine (Fiat 2.0 Multijet? @Ravenavi??), a quirky design (That's what people need now - else they will reject it as a 'Tata car') and right price - this thing has the potential to slay a Compass and higher trims of Creta in one go. Only Tata needs to make sure that this isn't a heavyweight champion, quality is right and the price is somewhere near to top end of Creta (slight stretch) and lower and mid trims of Compass.

PS: I just bought Tata - A decent number of stocks valuing more than a Nexon; I am expecting that this Tata will appreciate multiple times in coming 2 years.

Last edited by VKumar : 8th February 2018 at 18:43.
VKumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 18:38   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
12-14 L ex-showroom for base variant is what my prediction
If its diesel only, then the car is very well capable of taking on the Jeep Compass in terms of specs. Being the same diesel engine, it has a big advantage over Creta.

I'd like to see them price it in the same ballpark as well and hit two birds with one stone. Creta is no match in terms of specs and TATA can easily hit Jeep with respect to VFM.

But then - its just too early to speak prices. The concept is too early in its lifecycle for us to really place it against competition.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed