Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2019, 11:01   #2671
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
2. Lines on the door handles are not aligned.
You got some photos of the same? So that we can judge for ourselves whether or not this is serious enough.
Quote:
3. Door lining rubber has cuts so that it goes around corners.
Again, photos will help us to see this in the right light.
Quote:
4. OVRMs (which are huge) seem to be made of 100% plastic and ready to break?
As other already pointed out, this better be not commented on!
Quote:
5. 1 or 2 of the doors were not closing fully with normal force. They needed to be banged to close the last 2 cm.
Is it 1 or 2? Again, some videos of photos would have helped us in judging it ourselves whether the car was at fault at all or not. Many people who are used to Maruti cars find the European cars' doors to be heavier and find their usual effort not enough to close the door well. It does take some time to get used to better built cars.
Quote:
1. Engine makes too much noise even on idle. Looks like Tata doesn't know or care about NVH. All doors and windows were closed.
Other reviews pointed out this too and seems to be the only real concern so far with the harrier. However, anyone who knows cars in this forum will say Tata knows a thing or two about NVH. Nexon is a good example where Tata has done a commendable job in this department.
prakash_ajp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 11:18   #2672
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post

Is it 1 or 2? Again, some videos of photos would have helped us in judging it ourselves whether the car was at fault at all or not. Many people who are used to Maruti cars find the European cars' doors to be heavier and find their usual effort not enough to close the door well. It does take some time to get used to better built cars.
I checked our Harrier in Pune and trust me, all doors had to be shut twice. I thought I had misjudged the force required on 1 door but I had to repeat it on all doors. I dont know if its cause of thick door lining or what. After a bit more force they closed all right !!

BTW, I owned Punto and Jetta, both of which had heavy doors with a thud and yet I found Harrier doors not closing on 1st attempt!!

Last edited by neoonwheels : 16th January 2019 at 11:24.
neoonwheels is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 11:21   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
However, anyone who knows cars in this forum will say Tata knows a thing or two about NVH. Nexon is a good example where Tata has done a commendable job in this department.
You can add Hexa to the list. With AirCon ON, you barely hear a rumble. I have got all the doors noise dampened and now the cabin is amazingly quiet. I don't find other manufacturers much different here. If Harrier is any different, I will be surprised. The only downside I can imagine here is the FIAT engine which will be comparatively noisy - but is extremely reliable (can vouch for this as I drew a Punto around for 6 years).
vinodvayyat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 11:29   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowphoneix View Post
Here i go with my first post in Team bhp, though i have been following TBhp for ages..
Comparing Octavia and Harrier is not on even grounds. They are different platforms, meant for different purposes. Moreover comparing a 2001 Tata is a little unjust.

As far as perceived value goes, it depends on person to person and their needs. A 19 lac top end XUV vs a mid range Compass vs The Harrier, depends on what the person likes. I don't even consider Creta in that class as it's simply overrated and a smaller engine.

Last edited by ampere : 16th January 2019 at 11:57. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 11:44   #2675
BANNED

@gaurav,

I am not comparing. I am in the market for a car for 15 lakhs. And I don't mind whichever best suits my requirement. Why do you think those people are looking for Nexon/Brezza/Ecosport top-end move out to buy a base version of Creta 1.4+ ? Because of the pricing: Its as simple as that.

These days am sure most people do make a buying decision based on price. Not just by class! Market dynamics always evolves. Those people who buy a Fortuner, do you think they buy it because its 7 seats? Absolutely not. Most of the time its only 2 or 4 people in it.

As I said earlier, Creta might be smaller. But what you are not considering is real world performance (things like POWER to weight ratio etc.) And guess what, Creta outscores Harrier!!
Comparing by class is done by analysts. Comparing by price is done by "PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMERS"

Last edited by SDP : 16th January 2019 at 14:04. Reason: Typo
Yellowphoneix is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 12:06   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
@gaurav,

I am not comparing. I am in the market for a car for for 15 lakhs. And I don't mind whichever best suits my requirement. Why do you think those people are looking for Nexon/Brezza/Ecosport top-end move out to buy a base version of Creta 1.4+ ? Because of the pricing: Its as simple as that.

These days am sure most people do make a buying decision based on price. Not just by class! Market dynamics always evolves. Those people who buy a Fortuner, do you think they buy it because its 7 seats? Absolutely not. Most of the time its only 2 or 4 people in it.

As I said earlier, Creta might be smaller. But what you are not considering is real world performance (things like POWER to weight ratio etc.) And guess what, Creta outscores Harrier!!
Comparing by class is done by analysts. Comparing by price is done by "PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMERS"
With no offense, but contradictory statements. Those moving out of top end Brezza/Eco/Nexon to base Creta do not consider safety as priority. Moreover the power on the Creta base is 1.4, but on the road power is lower than Eco/Brezza.

Those who buy a Fortuner is surely not always because of 7 seats, true and that's where Harrier wins over the Creta, the butch looks. Come up north and the only thing that rules the road is the size.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 14:04   #2677
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
You got some photos of the same? So that we can judge for ourselves whether or not this is serious enough.

Again, photos will help us to see this in the right light.

As other already pointed out, this better be not commented on!

Other reviews pointed out this too and seems to be the only real concern so far with the harrier. However, anyone who knows cars in this forum will say Tata knows a thing or two about NVH. Nexon is a good example where Tata has done a commendable job in this department.
I haven't taken photos of the bad parts. I have only 2 photos of the overall kiosk and event. The car was orange color with no registration. And some tata marathon stuff was stuck/painted on it. There was a table with some trophy and model harrier cars on it and they were giving out a brochure detailing model wise changes. The best option for serious buyers would be to check for yourself .. preferably in a production car which someone bought. Regarding the doors the issue wasn't in all doors; not sure if it was one or two doors. For one door I remember tried with different force twice and it didn't close and the third time when I banged it, it closed fully.
mxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 15:06   #2678
BHPian

So many contradictory statements from people who have checked Harrier so far. Not sure that quality will be so inconsistent after seeing the recent products which have made significant improvements in part quality and fit and finish. I think only logical conclusion I can come to is that Tata has committed Hara-Kiri in trying to play to the gallery. May be they have sent half baked products in a bid to capture eye balls.
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 09:33   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Harrier has another small thing in its kitty - 350NM torque for its 1.6ton weight.
Creta has it around 250NM for 1.38ton - you can calculate the ratio now. FIAT knows a thing or two about making fun to drive engines and TATA knows how to extract drive-ability out of torque monsters. We have not found majority of auto-reviews criticizing the drive-ability or the power aspect of Harrier - let the product come out in the market before writing out it as a dud.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 17th January 2019 at 09:34. Reason: Added one more sentence.
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 10:41   #2680
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest that everyone hold their horses on the judgements of the success or failure of the Harrier!

It is a just a matter of few days (till 23rd Jan) when the prices are announced and the final cars should also be in showrooms. It seems that they have been exhibiting the pre-production cars in most of the road shows and those cars seem to be quite abused during the media drives and also were pre-production cars. So it is likely that they were not up to the mark in the quality parameters.

Pricing for the Tata Harrier will be key to success as with a 5 seater version, they should peg it in the same price segment as the 1.6 Diesel Creta and anything higher than that will be a big challenge for market acceptability.

While Tata have made a cutting edge design, most people who have reviewed the car have pointed out the fact that the interior fit and finish seems a bit inconsistent. One thing is for sure that Tata will offer great space in the car which will beat most cars in the 5 seater space , both in terms of interior headroom, legroom as well as boot space. If they can match the level of fit finish to the Creta and also match the Creta price, they will achieve significant volumes of 3000-3500 + cars per month.

This volume would mostly be taken from C Segment sedans (Like Verna, City, Rapid, Vento etc) as well as the Creta. You may also find some Brezza and Ecosport buyers also migrating upwards if their budgets permit. The overall C-SUV space is bound to get very interesting in the next few months with the Harrier, Kicks, Kia SP2 and other cars also joining the race. All auto manufacturers are vying for a piece of this high growth segment.

The only fly in the ointment which may happen and burst this bubble is further increased taxes which the government may apply on the Diesel CSUV segment anytime.

Last edited by navin : 17th January 2019 at 11:23. Reason: paragraphs and other formatting.
Behemoth is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:15   #2681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
pre-production
OT: Manufacturers should take note of this trend. They might want to give the customers an early peek, but it backfires when the enthusiasts start taking each and every flaw and dissecting it. The earlier strategy of not revealing your cards till the full deck is ready - makes for better business sense in today's connected world.

Not just with TATA, there are the same parallel discussions going on with JAWA in the Motorbikes section as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:20   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Pricing for the Tata Harrier will be key to success as with a 5 seater version, they should peg it in the same price segment as the 1.6 Diesel Creta and anything higher than that will be a big challenge for market acceptability.
While Tata have made a cutting edge design, most people who have reviewed the car have pointed out the fact that the interior fit and finish seems a bit inconsistent. One thing is for sure that Tata will offer great space in the car which will beat most cars in the 5 seater space , both in terms of interior headroom, legroom as well as boot space. If they can match the level of fit finish to the Creta and also match the Creta price, they will achieve significant volumes of 3000-3500 + cars per month.
That will be really difficult to achieve for Tata, due to the following;
1. Bigger engine than Creta,
2. Better infotainment system than Creta,
3. Bigger car than Creta,
4. It is more than 4 mtrs, hence higher government taxes,

Hence it might be a bit costlier than Creta.

But seriously speaking have seen too many negative comments for the product on the forum. Look at other countries like Japan who prefer buying the products that are produced in their country by the companies that are local rather than buying stuff that is imported or foreign manufacturer.

I am not saying we should buy only Tata or Mahindra cars with all its faults, but dont be this critical. We as customers have right to complaint and or suggest areas of improvement, but going overboard with criticism is a bit too much.

People have been shouting that Tata should have provided AT and Panaromic sunroof, even XUV did not get automatic when launched. Show me one manufacturer who is providing panaromic sunroof in India at the price point of Creta. Be realistic when you are pointing out things.

As someone had said in one of the post earlier, just because it is Tata we are shouting and screaming for things that are not available and taking microscope to find faults in the product that has been developed.

I am not saying to sing praises for Tata, but appreciate the effort put in. Criticizing is good, but when put in positive terms brings great results.

Last edited by malgudi : 17th January 2019 at 11:23.
malgudi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:22   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post

Hence it might be a bit costlier than Creta.

I believe Creta also is longer than 4M, isn't it?
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:29   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Quote:
Yup. Just under 4.3 Metres for Creta.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:32   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
Also let's not forget the fact that creta is atrociously overpriced, they are getting away with it only due to lack of competition. All the posts above somewhat tend towards justifying the creta pricing, which IMHO shouldn't be done.
Th!ru is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks