Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2018, 07:14   #541
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The handbrake. They redesigned to liberate some space.
This is not a redesigned handbrake, if you see the pic, you can notice a big gap between the Gear lever and Cup holder. I am sure that gap will be closed with a tumble down cover.

As for the encircled part, it seems like a jugaad done by the driver to place his arm to rest on while driving long distance.

it can not be a handbrake as it sits out of place and in an obstacle
rajchetan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 07:53   #542
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
This is not a redesigned handbrake, if you see the pic, you can notice a big gap between the Gear lever and Cup holder. I am sure that gap will be closed with a tumble down cover.

As for the encircled part, it seems like a jugaad done by the driver to place his arm to rest on while driving long distance.

it can not be a handbrake as it sits out of place and in an obstacle
Then wheres the hand brake?

This car is stationary so the hand brake that lever is pulled up. When driving it will be pushed down so as to sit flush.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 08:19   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Then wheres the hand brake?

This car is stationary so the hand brake that lever is pulled up. When driving it will be pushed down so as to sit flush.
yes, now that i look at the picture again, it looks like a pull out / push back lever for the hand break.. would reserve my opinion after seeing it in action / live.
rajchetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 08:23   #544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
yes, now that i look at the picture again, it looks like a pull out / push back lever for the hand break.. would reserve my opinion after seeing it in action / live.
If you look at page 1 the concept shown at the auto expo had the same lever with parking brake marked.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 11:10   #545
Senior - BHPian

The interiors look fab. I hope it comes with 6 airbags, at least on the top end and an AT option right at launch
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 11:28   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not a redesigned handbrake,
Doesn't look like a handbrake. It is too wide and flat to be comfortable to hold and operate.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 11:49   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Doesn't look like a handbrake. It is too wide and flat to be comfortable to hold and operate.
Sharing the hand brake pic of Renault Megane. Although this one comes out of the centre console, but you get the drift. Source: https://pim.famnit.upr.si/blog/index...nd-places.html
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-rm8tar.jpg  

k88k is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 12:01   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Sharing the hand brake pic of Renault Megane. Although this one comes out of the centre console, but you get the drift. Source: https://pim.famnit.upr.si/blog/index...nd-places.html
This exactly what I was trying to say. One on the Harrier is 'flat' to hold but this one has 'round' cross section, which will be comfortable to hold.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 13:33   #549
Senior - BHPian

Effort required will be more (if it is a simple lever) in Harrier due to odd placement (fulcrum position) and input force/operating direction.

Last edited by Latheesh : 30th August 2018 at 13:35.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 13:51   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

The handbrake would be disengaged when driving - and at this time the lever will be flush with the surrounding level behind the gear lever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPX View Post
.. when engaged the lever may interfere with cup/bottle placed in the holder behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
If the armrest behind the bottle holder can be adjusted/ moved forward, or will be used extensively, one cannot place a bottle there anyway.
Seems to be an ergonomics clash. Too much happening in a small area.
It does not look to clash with anything that is kept vertically in the cup-holder. The pics show the position of the engaged lever.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 14:03   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It does not look to clash with anything that is kept vertically in the cup-holder. The pics show the position of the engaged lever.
If the (sliding?) arm rest is moved forward it will foul with the top of the cup. If it is fixed and cannot be moved forward that is another negative altogether. I am not talking about the handbrake lever clashing with anything.

I assumed it to be a bottle holder (hence the rested arm hitting the bottle), but as you mentioned a cup holder let us go with that instead.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 14:39   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the handbrake a pull up / push down type. If it's so, we should be using the palm on the flat surface with the fingers wrapped below the flat holder.

Since it's a new design we all have a lot of questions - I personally doubt TATA will do anything wrong on this since they'll want to see this vehicle as a premium one. I hope for this to be a simple operation with minimal effort for a simple pull up. And probably release will be just on the press of a button on the flat surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
If the armrest behind the bottle holder can be adjusted/ moved forward, or will be used extensively, one cannot place a bottle there anyway.
Seems to be an ergonomics clash. Too much happening in a small area..
It does look like fouling with a cup placed in the holder in its high position. The immediate solution I can think is to reduce the play of the hand brake so it doesn't come up to this level.

And honestly, its a good observation - hope TML is check these posts and keep an eye on this. I doubt the test drivers will think about all these and provide a feedback to the company.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 19:14   #553
BHPian

This will be a very awkward design in a premium offering. A vehicle o fthis class should have electric parking brakes instead. Also a closer look at the photo leads me to the view that this is some sort of a temporary fixture to hold or support something - maybe a piece of testing equipment.
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 20:05   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
This will be a very awkward design in a premium offering. A vehicle o fthis class should have electric parking brakes instead. Also a closer look at the photo leads me to the view that this is some sort of a temporary fixture to hold or support something - maybe a piece of testing equipment.

What class are we talking about? I don't see this being priced more than 20L, worst case.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 22:11   #555
Senior - BHPian

Instrument Panel of Tata Harrier

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierspeedogaadiwaadi12696x387.jpg

Left part of the panel houses an LCD with Tacho and MID. Right side there is a Speedometer which looks very plain. I hope Tata provides different one in production spec car. My 5 lakh rupee Tiago has better looking Speedometer then this one.

There are no stalks to toggle through various settings. We may expect Steering Mounted Buttons for the same.

Source

Last edited by CarguyNish : 30th August 2018 at 22:15.
CarguyNish is offline   (25) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed