Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:02   #751
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

If its bigger than Compass, even slightly, it will be really a challenge for Tata to price it. I am hoping they will have a good introductory price for some time. But then its not known what their positioning was when they did this. Which segment you want to attack and what numbers do you expect ?
When you want to give more car than your competitor to get the market, it might backfire because you might not be able to since your cost is little higher too.

Last edited by srishiva : 2nd October 2018 at 13:09.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:10   #752
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
T I am expecting an optimistic price range of 12-18, 12 being the barebones base model to get footfalls and 18 the top-end auto/awd variant, may be even 19 but Tata would like to avoid sticker shock at launch, just my thoughts!
Kind of agree with this price band. But I feel at launch maybe they will not have a proper top end model - so the range might be more like 12-16 or 17. Once the car becomes a success, they might bring the real top end at 18-19 I feel.

If they do this, it would be a fabulous price to get some solid volumes.

But if they are just targetting some 1500-2500 kind of numbers, I think the pricing would be much higher.
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:18   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Kind of agree with this price band. But I feel at launch maybe they will not have a proper top end model - so the range might be more like 12-16 or 17. Once the car becomes a success, they might bring the real top end at 18-19 I feel.

If they do this, it would be a fabulous price to get some solid volumes.

But if they are just targetting some 1500-2500 kind of numbers, I think the pricing would be much higher.
I think the numbers they are looking for are in the 5000-10000 range and I have given my analysis in a previous page based on Tata's statements.

My take is that to achieve these volumes the 10-15 lakh ex-showroom would be the ideal price. I also feel that an absolute no holds barred top end is a year 2 model as the Harrier is the SUV they are betting on getting volumes.
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:31   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If its bigger than Compass, even slightly, it will be really a challenge for Tata to price it. I am hoping they will have a good introductory price for some time. But then its not known what their positioning was when they did this. Which segment you want to attack and what numbers do you expect ?
When you want to give more car than your competitor to get the market, it might backfire because you might not be able to since your cost is little higher too.
It is a bigger car than Compass but why should that be a factor in pricing?
Top end Compass costs close to 30 lacs in Bangalore and the Harrier can't be priced anywhere close to it for similar variant.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:50   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
I think the numbers they are looking for are in the 5000-10000 range and I have given my analysis in a previous page based on Tata's statements.

My take is that to achieve these volumes the 10-15 lakh ex-showroom would be the ideal price. I also feel that an absolute no holds barred top end is a year 2 model as the Harrier is the SUV they are betting on getting volumes.
I went through your analysis on volumes and don't necessarily disagree on that. However, what I feel we don't know is a sensitivity analysis between profitability, volumes and pricing . Also, if the vehicle turns out to be as desirable as it has been from the information available so far, I am guessing they might just get away with a slightly higher price range than what you have mentioned.

Any which ways, I would seriously question the existence of a JEEP COMPASS if Tata were to come out with the price range we are all discussing now. ( no offence to existing or prospective owners --- but what would FCA do to differentiate their car baffles me )
narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:05   #756
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:

Any which ways, I would seriously question the existence of a JEEP COMPASS if Tata were to come out with the price range we are all discussing now. ( no offence to existing or prospective owners --- but what would FCA do to differentiate their car baffles me )

The Harrier is no threat to the Compass, because the Compass itself is doing just under 1500-2000 units a month, and that is no big volume! Also, if im not wrong, sales of the Compass must be more of the mid and top end variants which cost around 23-26 Lakhs on road. The base sport variants which are in the range of 19-20 Lakhs are hardly visible on road and in a discussion with a dealer in Bangalore he even stated that the base petrol is not readily available or something like that. In my view, someone buying the Jeep Compass is buying in to the Brand, and it may be difficult to convince that customer type to buy a Harrier.

Harrier can easily target 20% of all customers buying the Top end Creta, City, Entry & mid level variants of XUV500, and that itself is a big volume right there.
And secondly, all folks driving a City or a similar C segment sedan are all looking to upgrade and there are no cars in the 15-20 Lakh territory except the Creta and the XUV. So this is another customer base to tap in to.

Mod Note: Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd October 2018 at 18:52.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:30   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Harrier is no threat to the Compass, because the Compass itself is doing just under 1500-2000 units a month, and that is no big volume
Sorry but missing the correlation here ? Why would a car selling a perceived low volume escape the threat posed by a more value packed competitor ? India is a value conscious market.

Also if indeed the Jeep compass is a "premium brand" and sells mostly in the mid to top variant avatars, then I all the more ponder at how a potential buyer would justify a solid 30-40% extra outlay over a very appealing new design with the same engine and possibly more space from a not so rubbish brand. Anyway this is assuming the Harrier will undercut the Compass big time. Let's see.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd October 2018 at 19:29. Reason: Quoted text edited
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:31   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but what would FCA do to differentiate their car baffles me )
As of now the only advantage FCA has is on engine front. I wonder was it a deliberate move to go ahead with 140 bhp tune of same engine!!! This to me looks like a deal to protect Compass to a degree.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 20:18   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

RavenAvi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:02   #760
BHPian

How can that way of testing be really equivalent to driving on rough terrians? Is this what they meant by tested for 2.2 millions kms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd October 2018 at 08:56. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:14   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
How can that way of testing be really equivalent to driving on rough terrians? Is this what they meant by tested for 2.2 millions kms?
This test is much more vigorous than testing on an "average" road. The car would be loaded and subjected to a variety of forces equivalent to, or in some cases more than, the force the wheels will have to endure during road use. I have personally seen this kind of testing and believe me, most of our cars will become a rattle box after 30 mins of going through this. I cannot comment on the suspension health after this test as they did not share anything with the visitors. But yes, this is not a silly simulation just for namesake.

And about the 2.2 million kms of testing, as you can clearly see, the wheels haven't moved an inch. This may not have been included in that 2.2 Million.

On a serious note, this test may be equivalent to X kms of on road test. So who knows !
DieselAddikt is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:30   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both lab tests and real world tests would be done. In the lab tests they can control the parameters and analyze the results better.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:09   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is only part of the testing. Plus they have a few dozen vehicles all over the country and probably internationally running on different terrain and under different temperatures. All that is logged in to the final total.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:18   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The simple real life example to the test is going over speed breakers. Some of us are very careful most of the times with a sedan or hatchback, but with SUVs, expect people to be harder with crossing those. And if we extrapolate, the same for even pot holes and broken roads.

This test, most likely, is to check on the suspension components, which is extremely relevant to Indian road conditions. This also could help with checking how good the interiors are put together to avoid rattles etc.

And the 2.2 million kms test wouldn't cover this I believe, should be the 'running' kilometers covered as a whole by all test mules so far. 22 million = 220 lakhs, even if a bunch of the vehicles have done 2L kms each and have come out trumps, I'd be delighted.

Edit: just noticed, most of my observations are already shared.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd October 2018 at 22:32.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:23   #765
Senior - BHPian

These videos are nicely building up the excitement. The vehicle looks imposing, I hope Tata shows us the real Harrier sans the camouflage. Do the rear wheels sport disc brakes? Disc brakes are clearly visible in the second video, I believe it's the front wheels that are shown dancing from the 14 seconds to 16 seconds.

Considering the Harrier will weight around 1600 kilo mark and the power it's got , I hope rears are disc and not drums.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed