Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 10:37   #961
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Talking about the automatic gearbox, what is known that the Harrier will feature a Hyundai sourced 6 speed automatic gearbox. Read somewhere that this is the same gearbox that does duty in Tucson and perhaps the Elantra too.
Am I right in assuming this would be the same gearbox seen in the Verna? As that too features a 6 speed automatic unit.
Old 16th October 2018, 10:43   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Good point, however basic drive for both the Tata cars is different. As you are aware the Hexa is a RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) car with a longitudinally mounted engine and a propeller shaft powering the rear wheels. As against this the Harrier has a FWD (Front Wheel Drive) configuration or an AWD (All Wheel Drive), which means it will have a transversely mounted engine and the crank shaft powering the front wheels. Hope now you know why the Hexa's automatic gearbox is not a straightforward lift and shift in the Harrier.
Hexa's 6 speed PPG sourced AT was used in older gen Freelander before they moved to the 8 speed ZF. Harrier is based on the old gen Freelander platform. So it's not like the gearbox and the platform are completely incompatible. And we all know that the PPG AT in the Hexa is excellent. Yet, Tata is shifting to a new transmission. There must be more to this.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 10:44   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
Kudos Tata! Definitely Cousins! But first or second?
I'm afraid I'm having to go contrary to the 'looking good design' view. It would appear from the pics that they have managed to morph a classy, crisp and clean design of LR with its floating-roof and striking tail lamps into just another anonymous current-gen SUV. Could be any Korean or Jap design element - nothing striking. Tata's design in the pics appears to be fussy. A bit of a disappointment after all that hype. Anyways, let's wait to see it in real-life to see how well the design elements are put together.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 11:21   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hexa's 6 speed PPG sourced AT was used in older gen Freelander before they moved to the 8 speed ZF. Harrier is based on the old gen Freelander platform. So it's not like the gearbox and the platform are completely incompatible. And we all know that the PPG AT in the Hexa is excellent. Yet, Tata is shifting to a new transmission. There must be more to this.
As per Hormaz, the 6 speed AT from Hexa's 2.2L DICOR won't fit the Harrier's 2L MJD. It might be due to longitudinal vs traverse engine layout.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 11:42   #965
BHPian

Sorry for joining the party late. This level of excitement was expected.

Reading through the posts, it appears a big thumbs up has been given by the BHP community without yet knowing the specs !! This is par for all products with successful marketing hype preceding launch. Kudos to TATA for achieving that. They have not been good at this earlier. Stepping back a bit, I have some observations. From the published pic the 'looks' appear less than the impression I carried from the Expo. Are the Tucson and Compass dead ? - not by a long shot. The competition, of course, is good news. We'll soon see price drops and additional features that the Koreans and Americans were holding back on. I intend waiting for the test drive and then do a real world, hard nosed comparison, before putting in my moolah.

I have taken a test drive of the Tucson and the auto seemed significantly less exciting than the DSG on my Laura (L&K). The initial overall feeling, though, is good. Really heartening to see the home grown guys pulling up their sox. Look forward to the Mahindra response too.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th October 2018 at 11:49. Reason: Edited post for readability.
Inder7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 14:11   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inder7 View Post
Reading through the posts, it appears a big thumbs up has been given by the BHP community without yet knowing the specs !! This is par for all products with successful marketing hype preceding launch. Kudos to TATA for achieving that. They have not been good at this earlier.
In fact, Tata Motors have expertise in creating hype. And one can remember failures after a great amount of hype created for Indica (first generation), Nano and Aria. So, I agree with you to wait for the TD and reviews. I hope Tata Motors would provide their TD vehicle sooner. Hexa/Aria, being launched much after Innova and XUV 500 could not match the sales number ever, must be for some good reasons. In fact, I fear the pricing indications (₹16 to 21 lakhs) may land Harrier in the Aria league, which was again a good vehicle.

Quote:

I have taken a test drive of the Tucson and the auto seemed significantly less exciting than the DSG on my Laura (L&K). The initial overall feeling, though, is good. Really heartening to see the home grown guys pulling up their sox. Look forward to the Mahindra response too.
Any German car, particularly from VW stable, is always much more exciting to drive compared to Korean or Japanese cars. So, if one wants to get a car for driving pleasure, and not for value, gizmos and after sales propositions, European cars are always superior followed by Americans (Ford, in our case)
kbishwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 14:56   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys just to clear a notion that I feel some posts are carrying. All the people ( including myself) who have put down a booking amount for the car, have done so only in anticipation that Tata would give us a great car at a possibly mouthwatering price. Under no circumstance does that mean that we are buying the car blindly without doing a TD or going through the details of the vehicle as they come gradually in months to come. No one here is making a blind purchase. The booking amount is refundable if one does not like the final product once it is launched.

Last edited by navin : 16th October 2018 at 17:04. Reason: typo
drmohitg is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 15:13   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
As per Hormaz, the 6 speed AT from Hexa's 2.2L DICOR won't fit the Harrier's 2L MJD. It might be due to longitudinal vs traverse engine layout.
Nevertheless if they could use expertise from outside to get a decent one for the Hexa I suppose they could look for a better auto box for the Harrier too. Remember they are projecting the Harrier as their new flagship and the leaked pricing too is much more premium so is it not a basic expectation that it should at least have an at par if not better transmission from the current one. On the visual aspect the H5X was definitely more visually striking than the Harrier. I for one think that the quarter window at the rear should have been blacked out and the arches should have been as well defined as the H5X. I also think the number plate cutting extending to the lights somehow does not appeal to me.
Old 16th October 2018, 16:04   #969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I don't believe Harrier is based on the old Freelander platform. The old Freelander was based on the FORD EUCD platform conceived when JLR and Ford were one company around 2006. The Land Rover Discovery sport and Tata Harrier are based on the JLR D8 platform, which, although has roots in the EUCD, was subsequently heavily modified around 2014 to be more versatile and flexible across a wide variety of the current JLR fleet, including the Discovery Sport, Evoque, E-Pace and XE

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th October 2018 at 23:08. Reason: Typo.
84.monsoon is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 16:44   #970
BHPian

Does all of this mean that the harrier AT will have a punchier performance with its hyundai tucson gearbox? which by the way is not performing that great in the tucson itself; punch wise
Old 16th October 2018, 17:20   #971
BHPian

The performance of a car with AT gearbox can vary greatly from one setup to another. Its all about how the gearbox is tuned, when it shifts gears, etc.

My EcoSport AT (Torque Converter), was lethargic to drive initially. However, after an update to the PCM, it holds to a gear for longer and hence translates to much better acceleration and performance. Everything is in the software.

Its up to Tata to configure the gearbox as per their wishes.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 17:45   #972
Senior - BHPian

A lady called this afternoon stating she was from Tata Motors and enquiring about the interest I had expressed earlier in the Harrier. She informed me that bookings were now open and if I would like to book one she could help me with further logistical details. Well spoken and crisp call. It seems they have some well trained people and they are making an effort to reach out/ get some bookings.

I have taken my purchase decision elsewhere as the Harrier seems a little big for my current and near term requirements and current budget. This is exactly what I told her as well.
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 19:05   #973
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or anyone else also thinks the car looks like a grown up Elite i20 ?
Old 16th October 2018, 19:17   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is it just me or anyone else also thinks the car looks like a grown up Elite i20 ?
In the Team-BHP official review of the Hyundai Tucson, we have the following comment

Quote:
The rear ....also reminds you a lot of the Elite i20.
With the Tata Harrier, having a great resemblance to the Tucson (which for its anticipated price range is not a bad thing at all), your observations are spot on.
Old 16th October 2018, 19:33   #975
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier-booking-copy.jpg

Offline booking
Kryotec BS IV diesel engine mentioned in the booking receipt.
Copper, I presume must be the color of the advertised unit.

Nice experience with the sales people at Trivandrum Motors, Kerala so far.
Who also said that the booking is fully refundable in case of a change in decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Tata Harrier, my booking experience so far

Preferable combo :- Diesel + Auto box (Hyundai AT is fine with me and was what confirmed by the sales guy)

No information available at dealership level to add to the ones available on forum.
Aadhar card and Pan card mandatory to put down the deposit.
Got approximate on road pricing of Rs 15-20 lakhs across variants from the dealership today.
With Diesel manual being the launch preference.

The price point seems attractive and if Diesel AT is within this range then then it would be a great VFM prospect imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
After supreme court's judgement, I thought mandating Aadhar Card for anything other than government services (that too only those covered under section 7) is illegal.
I agree with you legally, but practically I find no difference since I have to submit them at a later stage for vehicle registration .

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
A lady called this afternoon stating she was from Tata Motors and enquiring about the interest I had expressed earlier in the Harrier. She informed me that bookings were now open and if I would like to book one she could help me with further logistical details. Well spoken and crisp call. It seems they have some well trained people and they are making an effort to reach out/ get some bookings.
I too had received a call prior to the booking which updated me on the booking dates and enquired as to why Hexa and Nexon isn't on my radar.
Told him politely that coming from Ecosport Nexon isn't much of an upgrade and Hexa is too big for my family's taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys just to clear a notion that I feel some posts are carrying. All the people ( including myself) who have put down a booking amount for the car, have done so only in anticipation that Tata would give us a great car at a possibly mouthwatering price. Under no circumstance does that mean that we are buying the car blindly without doing a TD or going through the details of the vehicle as they come gradually in months to come. No one here is making a blind purchase. The booking amount is refundable if one does not like the final product once it is launched.
Completely agree with this statement.
Looking at the launch schedule, delayed launch of the AT would give me little more time to arrive at the final decision.

Last edited by johannskaria : 16th October 2018 at 19:49.
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks