Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2018, 19:32   #1036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
I think if the Harrier had those two extra seats and the Multijet 2.0 in the 170 bhp tuning i.e the H7X then maybe a lot of people would see value in this pricing proposition. I do know there are some of us who see value in the current proposition but there are quite a lot of negative reactions too.
I see a possibility of price overlap even between the 5 seater and 7 seater Harrier. The AWD-auto combination he was talking about for 25 lakh is likely to be equal to if not more expensive than the barebone 7 seater. I also think there would be more people interested in a 5 seater AWD than a 7 seater AWD. If Tata believe so too, we might have both the variant priced closer in the top-trim assuming the latter comes without the AWD option.

Quote:
I know some of you may say Tata has a marketing team and that they are way smarter than us and they have an ace up their sleeve looking at the feature cut thread I am beginning to have my doubts if Tunaround 2.0 has really managed to take off as intended and if there is a spectacular change in attitudes.
Unlike us here, the folks at Tata have lot of constraints/limits to work within. Somebody here may say keep the features but hike the price if needed, and another would say, "no, you can't afford to increase the price". We can say all that without having any idea about how much loss/profit Tata is making on each car, how much longer can they afford to play the price game etc. If tomorrow our prediction comes a cropper, we can simply brush it off. But the people at the job have lot more factors to keep in mind and have someone to answer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Is anybody adventurous enough to buy a first year model from Tata, of all companies?
I recently bought a Tata Nexon after having previously owned two European cars. I wouldn't call that adventurous, though. I call that an informed decision. And I take pride in being able to judge a car by myself rather than going with thousands of others.

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 18th October 2018 at 19:36.
prakash_ajp is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 20:09   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Is anybody adventurous enough to buy a first year model from Tata, of all companies?
I did, be informed that Tata Motors are one of the biggest spenders on R & D in the recent past and present. And I am proud for this Indian manufacturer turn around.
bageherath is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 20:18   #1038
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

First, let me thank you all for the personal attacks and wild speculation on MY relationship to Tata. Sorry to disappoint but, yes, I am a previous Tata owner. And you are very welcome to your opinion. I will stick to my opinion of Tata which is also shared by many. Happy motoring to you all.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 18th October 2018 at 20:20.
DirtyDan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 20:37   #1039
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Personal attack? Everyone has their own opinions. I am still curious to know if the car you owned is from Indica era. If yes, I see a point. It is difficult to change people's opinions and I don't intend to (Tata does not pay me). But I'd like to identify the customer base who thinks "Tata = stay away". This is just for the benefit of others including me. Nothing personal. But yeah. You can choose not to reply. No worries.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 18th October 2018 at 20:40.
DieselAddikt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 20:49   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Glad you asked that. The answer is around 50000 people. Yes. That is the number of Nexon sold in one year since its launch.

Link: https://www.cartoq.com/tata-nexon-ra...ear-of-launch/

The other car from their stable, Tiago has reached 1.7L households in last 2 years. It would be safe to assume that atleast 30-40% of these must have been in the first year, so another 60-80k people.

Link: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/tata-tiag...months-1916088

Hope I have answered your query to satisfaction.

Last edited by SDP : 20th October 2018 at 23:40. Reason: Typo
drmohitg is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 22:09   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I see a possibility of price overlap even between the 5 seater and 7 seater Harrier. The AWD-auto combination he was talking about for 25 lakh is likely to be equal to if not more expensive than the barebone 7 seater. I also think there would be more people interested in a 5 seater AWD than a 7 seater AWD. If Tata believe so too, we might have both the variant priced closer in the top-trim assuming the latter comes without the AWD option.
Actually have been reading through some marketing studies on Indian SUV customers. I have not seen any correlation between number of seats and 4WD/AWD in any of them. This feature itself is pretty low in consideration in the Indian market according to studies available.

However in India its mostly 7 seaters that have a 4WD/AWD (Hexa/Safari/Scorpio/XUV500/Fortuner/Endeavour). AWD 5 seaters are rarer something the bestselling Creta has not yet offered. Hence they are more likely to omit it for a 5 seater. Besides when even the crossover Hexa has a 4x4 option what flagship SUV would an H7X be without a 4x4.

I for instance am a prospective customer who thinks its a must as given the greater weight it is more likely to need the same. If I regretted anything in my Safari it is not spending the extra one lakh and going for the 4WD as there have been occasions when my rear wheels went spinning and then nothing less than a crane could move it.

Quote:
Unlike us here, the folks at Tata have lot of constraints/limits to work within. Somebody here may say keep the features but hike the price if needed, and another would say, "no, you can't afford to increase the price". We can say all that without having any idea about how much loss/profit Tata is making on each car, how much longer can they afford to play the price game etc. If tomorrow our prediction comes a cropper, we can simply brush it off. But the people at the job have lot more factors to keep in mind and have someone to answer to.
Makes one wonder does it not that Mahindra has been able to do it consistently time and again. If anything Tata has most of the supply chain of materials used in house within the group unlike Mahindra so logically they should be under less constraints.

Forget Mahindra but should they not be able to have a significant cost advantage at the same quality against foreign brands with various degrees of localization.

So yes they might have constraints but if other manufacturers dont have them then obviously the biggest industrial conglomerate in India has to do something about it.
Old 19th October 2018, 15:14   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
I think if the Harrier had those two extra seats and the Multijet 2.0 in the 170 bhp tuning i.e the H7X then maybe a lot of people would see value in this pricing proposition. I do know there are some of us who see value in the current proposition but there are quite a lot of negative reactions too.
Bingo. I couldn't have put it any better.
Assuming that the leaked pricing is indeed true, the hexa suddenly looks a lot more appealing.
ihrishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 16:32   #1043
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted before. These are the options to get more information or support on the Harrier:-

Toll free Number : 1800-209-8282 or
Give a Missed Call on : 7574890000 or
SMS Harrier to 5616161 or
Online Chat Suport : www.harrier.tatamotorscom/chat or
Email us at : customercare@tatamotors.com
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 20:57   #1044
BHPian

Harrier advertisement's on the TV now...
Old 19th October 2018, 21:19   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Here are couple of latest production version spottings

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th October 2018 at 21:22.
Latheesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 21:46   #1046
BHPian

Just saw the video posted by Latheesh, took a frame out of that video. Checkout the light here, if that is low beam I'm not impressed. If thats high beam, well you get the point.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by sreejinair : 19th October 2018 at 21:48.
Old 20th October 2018, 05:04   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
First, let me thank you all for the personal attacks and wild speculation on MY relationship to Tata. Sorry to disappoint but, yes, I am a previous Tata owner. And you are very welcome to your opinion. I will stick to my opinion of Tata which is also shared by many. Happy motoring to you all.
Have you driven any of the recent Tatas or heard from the owners of these cars? Tata Motors has come a long way from their Indica days. There's definitely a big difference in the company's quality approach. The problem is that people have this huge misconceptions, for instance like, QUALITY = TOYOTA, when the fact is that, when you analyze a product like the Crysta, you see that they've introduced crappy plastics and inferior legroom, while just fitting in a more powerful engine (the GX variant of the Crysta doesn't even have a head unit in a Rs 18 lakhs car!!). So a company like Toyota just profits on their reputation while making an inferior car to the Tata Hexa.

Similarly, if you believe that QUALITY = <<Insert European brand of choice>>, you ignore the fact that these brands have a terrible service quality reputation, and as a result, sell a paltry number of cars

What I'm saying is that an open mind is required to make rational choices, and not just "they made bad cars in the past, so their current cars also must be bad", even when a turnaround in the company is obvious, both in car build and service quality, as well as in customer perception (rising sales are an obvious indication of customer perception)
HighwayofLife is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 08:22   #1048
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 11:01   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Just saw the video posted by Latheesh, took a frame out of that video. Checkout the light here, if that is low beam I'm not impressed. If thats high beam, well you get the point.
It's a test mule with camouflage. Don't know the camera used to capture the video. Let it launch, then you can test them lights more easily. In person. If not satisfied, maybe post here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...eadlights.html (Are you happy with your OEM headlights?). Lots of other names on that list already.
Dry Ice is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 19:28   #1050
BHPian

I am a prospective customer and hope the current hype translates to belief in both the brand and the product. When compared to the compass the harrier needs to be a lot cheaper since that Fiat engine produces 170 bhp while this gives you 140 bhp, all other aspects being constant. Another issue which Tata needs to work on is the perception, while the Jeep did not have a history to it in recent past and the old jeeps always had a rugged go-anywhere attitude to it.

So if the pricing is right it could result in jeep losing out to it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks