Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:10   #1081
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

So how important is the Harrier for Tata Motors?

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20181022174046__01.jpg

Last edited by johannskaria : 22nd October 2018 at 18:12.
johannskaria is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:38   #1082
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
Why cant TATA offer the Harrier 5 seater in the 170ps state of tune, which will put it right in the Compass territorry. I do know that the 170ps is reserved for H7X.

Now knowing how heavy TATA cars generally are, the power to weight ratio could take a hit with just 140ps unless TATA engineers have really worked on this aspect.

How much does power to weight ratio really matter, among TATA engines in Storm / Hexa, I find the 5 speed 320 NM torque version better to drive, and only when I push down the throttle in low gear to overtake on a single road do I find the Varicor 400 with its higher bhp engine better.
Even my Terrano 110 is a pain to drive in traffic, and the model with 85Bhp state of tune feels better, the rare 110+ on the highway in 6th, or the few seconds when I downshifting to 4th and floor to overtake a line of trucks is when I notice the advantage of 110 bhp.
I feel that instead of one state of tune with the 5 seat version, and the other with a 7 seat version, they should provide a version with flat torque curve, and minimal lag with the manual version, and a something that may have a lag, but good torque and bhp even though it may come up later on in the drive band with the automatic.
Weight difference of the 7 seat and 5 seat version can be taken care of by gear ratios. Slightly shorter ratios in the 1st and 2nd cog should be enough.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:42   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Tata Harrier exhibited its prowess at NATRAX, Asia's largest automotive testing ground, spread across 4,140 acres. Derived from Land Rover’s D8 architecture-OMEGARC, the Tata Harrier is here to set a new benchmark of SUVs. Stay tuned to watch the full film today. #BornOfPedigree
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 5866
Size:  153.3 KB

Tata Harrier Lovers are in treat for more teasers today, in form of a short film/video.

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:28   #1084
BHPian

Extended Version of Tata Harriers test

Quote:
Tata Harrier proved its mettle here at NATRAX, the largest automotive testing ground in Asia. Witness how the Tata Harrier is tested for dynamism during tough manoeuvres in the Double lane change & Fish hook test. Know more: https://bit.ly/2CNepeG

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:05   #1085
Senior - BHPian

So, I got a call from Tata Motors today, not from the local dealers but from Pune. The call started with them congratulating me on booking the Harrier and that the cars will reach dealerships in January 2019. Then the general survey started:
1. Why did I chose the Harrier?
2. Any other car or brand that I have considered?
3. What features I am looking forward to the most in the Harrier (my response was a powerful engine with an automatic gearbox, along with a sunroof)

There were a couple more questions but I can't remember them well now. I am down with a viral and was sedated when I took the call.
hiren.mistry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:11   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
So, I got a call from Tata Motors today, not from the local dealers but from Pune. The call started with them congratulating me on booking the Harrier and that the cars will reach dealerships in January 2019. Then the general survey started:
1. Why did I chose the Harrier?
2. Any other car or brand that I have considered?
3. What features I am looking forward to the most in the Harrier (my response was a powerful engine with an automatic gearbox, along with a sunroof)

There were a couple more questions but I can't remember them well now. I am down with a viral and was sedated when I took the call.

What's the point of a user survey now ? I doubt any changes can be made now.
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:27   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Probably to get readily baked marketing campaign?!
Or using it for a advert going as follows:
Slide 1: 10,000 people booked the Harrier
Slide 2: Flash the words pulled from the feedback like "stylish", "butch", "mini Landie" etc.
Slide 3: Thanks for the confidence in Harrier

Last edited by turbospooler : 22nd October 2018 at 21:30. Reason: Easy for everyone to understand by adding Slide numbers
turbospooler is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:46   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Should be for fine-tuning their marketing focus.

Are most of the buyers from the Jeep Compas bracket, or from the Creta space, or upgrading from the C segment sedans - might even help them understand the expected price

Which feature was the most impressive for them to book the Harrier without even getting a TD?

What is the most important feature for this potential buyer, what age group does he belong to?

Where do these buyers come from, urban or semi-urban?

Many such questions about this segment can be answered for Tata from this exercise. And more importantly, the potential customer feels good as he was contacted by the company for the response he has shown.

Proper win-win scenario.
aravind.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 23:35   #1089
Senior - BHPian

All these and many more such questions could have been part of the online booking format. The calls are probably because they want to give the customer a first hand, personal acknowledgement.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 00:59   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
Did anyone who booked online got a call from the respective dealers? I booked on the same day of booking launch and KHT BLR hasn't called me yet to collect the documents
I booked the Harrier about 5 days ago and I haven't received any call from the dealer or Tata Motors. Except for the standard emails with booking reference etc no communication has happened.

It's too early I suppose to hear from them since the car is good over 2 or 3 months to launch.

I'm in a massive confusion between the Harrier and the Hexa. Hexa already has my heart and I'm keen to see a Harrier in flesh and blood before I take the leap. I really don't need a 6+ seater on a day to day life but it's the Hexa. Have been following up on this vehicle way before launch and just around the launch had moved out of India. Came back couple of days ago and just being patient for the Harrier launch for it might just be the vehicle I need. Never been a fan of Creta and so as the Jeep Compass. So, it's between the Harrier and the Hexa. I don't know how many more are in this conflict.
Old 23rd October 2018, 01:58   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranava VS View Post
I booked the Harrier about 5 days ago and I haven't received any call from the dealer or Tata Motors. Except for the standard emails with booking reference etc no communication has happened.

It's too early I suppose to hear from them since the car is good over 2 or 3 months to launch.

I'm in a massive confusion between the Harrier and the Hexa. Hexa already has my heart and I'm keen to see a Harrier in flesh and blood before I take the leap. I really don't need a 6+ seater on a day to day life but it's the Hexa. Have been following up on this vehicle way before launch and just around the launch had moved out of India. Came back couple of days ago and just being patient for the Harrier launch for it might just be the vehicle I need. Never been a fan of Creta and so as the Jeep Compass. So, it's between the Harrier and the Hexa. I don't know how many more are in this conflict.
If you dont mind telling me/us why not the Compass. Its the same engine with higher horse power and lots of features which probably wont be available in the Harrier
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:25   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
If you dont mind telling me/us why not the Compass. Its the same engine with higher horse power and lots of features which probably wont be available in the Harrier
It's nothing to do with the engine. I somehow don't trust the Fiat / Jeep brand. Over 2 decades of their India story has always been based on bad decisions and partnerships. From Uno to now, they have never been decisive or have showed the commitment to see things through. Things with Fiat cars look bleak and that's when we see Jeep being launched in India - an other experiment. I for sure don't want to be a victim of their bad decisions / experiments in this market. They seem happy producing and selling diesel mills than cars as such. Their service network too is a worry. This is my opinion and I'm sure there are others who either differ or agree to the Fiat story.
Pranava VS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:43   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in a massive confusion between the Harrier and the Hexa. Hexa already has my heart and I'm keen to see a Harrier in flesh and blood before I take the leap.
My suggestion- stick with the Hexa. While you may not require 6 seats on a daily basis, if you like to road-trip in small groups with friends (such as with two families travelling together), the Hexa will benefit you in the long run

Also, it's a more proven model and selling well now, unlike its predecessor, the Aria. Overall, I felt that it's an extremely welll built car at its price-point, with a proven engine, good suspension, and an ultra-silent ride. Mileage-wise, I don't see any major difference between the Harrier and the Hexa, unless they're making the Harrier extremely light
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:20   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
My suggestion- stick with the Hexa. While you may not require 6 seats on a daily basis, if you like to road-trip in small groups with friends (such as with two families travelling together), the Hexa will benefit you in the long run

Also, it's a more proven model and selling well now, unlike its predecessor, the Aria. Overall, I felt that it's an extremely welll built car at its price-point, with a proven engine, good suspension, and an ultra-silent ride. Mileage-wise, I don't see any major difference between the Harrier and the Hexa, unless they're making the Harrier extremely light
Hexa is on top of the list for sure. It's the curiosity that makes me wait for Harrier. I want to check all boxes before the final purchase happens. Concern with Hexa is what Tata motors might look at doing with it over the next 3 years; especially with the Harrier 7 seater version coming up. I don't see an immediate threat or discontinuation of Hexa as it is selling about 700 units a month. Margin wise, it should keep the appetite happy. With so many launches that are scheduled in similar segment can affect the sales of Hexa and hurt the margins thereby canning the product. Too many ifs and buts. I'm someone who drives the car for long. My current drive is my 2007 Elantra CRDi ( it has been idle for little over a year now with my absence and the wife is happy with its sibling - our 9 year old i20) and the Tata car will be it's replacement. I'm probably thinking way too much at the moment. Harrier for sure will be the flagship given what Tata has done with its PR and they will hold the product for a longer time for sure and work towards making it successful as the entire 2.0 strategy is dependent on its success. They have built the curiosity well enough. Time will answer if they have justified it with a good product like what they have done in their recent history.
Pranava VS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:21   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in a massive confusion between the Harrier and the Hexa. Hexa already has my heart and I'm keen to see a Harrier in flesh and blood before I take the leap..

IMHO wait for harrier if you can, I too like the Hexa, but it's Massive , though the handling is good, I couldn't bring myself to consider it as a choice due to the sheer size.
On the other hand Compass is too narrow for my generous build. I normally don't fit into any Ford seats, and now Compass gets added to that list.
Presently, 95% of the time I drive alone, 4% with less than 4 people in the car. Hardly 1% of the time , will need more than 6 seats, at which point I gladly hire Innova for others and I drive my duster with 4 occupants. Hexa is a good car no doubt, but The learning's from Hexa will go into Harrier to make it a better choice, we all hope.
v6kgang is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks