Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:44   #1786
BHPian

As per Tata Harrier: 5 development secrets
Quote:
However, the Harrier could not use the Compass’s 9-speed DCT automatic as the transmission isn’t rated to take the load of the heavier Harrier.
Quote:
The Harrier is unlikely to get a petrol option in a hurry either. The Fiat 1.4 MultiAir would be an obvious option but again the Harrier’s gross vehicle weight (GVW) which is significantly heavier than the Compass, rules out this option too.
However as per Autocar's previous scoop SCOOP! Tata Harrier dimensions revealed
Quote:
The model weighs in at 1,680kg and has tyre sizes between 235/70 R16 and 235/65 R17.
As per the specifications Jeep Compass Specifications the kerb weight for the Limited 4x4 is 1654 kg

So are they trying to say that 26 kgs of difference in weight is what makes the Harrier so significantly heavier over the Compass.

This gets actually better. Seems the same 9 speed gearbox is used on the Discovery Sport and even a version of Cherokee and is rated for 480 Nm of torque in petrol and 450 in diesel.

ZF 9HP transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
This entire article seems to be incorrect. FCA makes the Jeep Compass for all RHD markets in India from the same plant and the AU spec Compass has a 2.4 L petrol engine and wonder of wonders a 6 speed auto gearbox too. I feel Jeep is not in its senses to launch the 140 bhp diesel Compass in India at a lower price and get a big bite of the Creta customers and Tata certainly had more engine and gearbox options so not launching a petrol or an AT also does not seem linked to lack of availability of engines or transmissions.

Compass AU Specs

The specs say all this is Made in India

Mods: The edit option is no longer available so please merge it with the previous post if needed

Last edited by Zappo : 4th December 2018 at 13:41. Reason: Merged as requested
nainan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:52   #1787
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
So are they trying to say that 26 kgs of difference in weight is what makes the Harrier so significantly heavier over the Compass.

Good catch. It's entirely possible that they are cooking up some stories for clickbait. IMO, there's no way Tata will announce the car without an auto option. Worst case scenario is, they announce something like "the AT will be available couple of months later" or something like that.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:50   #1788
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Does anyone know what's the process to cancel the online booking made earlier? Their email doesn't have any details. Since it's almost certain there won't be an automatic at launch, I'm thinking of cancelling my booking in a couple of days.

Found the same question on twitter: Are you @geekster ?

Quote:
You can cancel the booking of your Tata Harrier at a later stage, by sending a mail to customercare@tatamotors.com, mentioning in the subject line, 'Tata Harrier Cancellation
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:01   #1789
BHPian

Media Drive Day 1 Route Map
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181203_125923.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20181203130325_instagram.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 3rd December 2018 at 13:04.
uday.ere is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:31   #1790
BHPian

Are you kidding me TATA! Only one color for the media drive!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181203_132658.jpg  

Familyguy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:43   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy View Post
Wow! That's ridiculous. Are they going to have a black at all? They don't have a black for the Hexa, which is quite perplexing.
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:58   #1792
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't this common? Most media drives typically have a single color, with multiple colors if there are different variants to distinguish e.g. for the Nexon media drive, they had a blue and a red variant for Petrol/Diesel cars (or the other way around).

Thought this was the norm, but could be mistaken.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:59   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Media drive and publicity cars are almost always one color; at the most two.
samaspire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:33   #1794
Distinguished - BHPian

And the dreaded news arrives. No AT available. Wishing Tata all the best in making this project into a success. The fact remains and as already stated aptly by someone in the posts above- " Tata always forces itself into an ever lasting catch up game". They didn't launch the Nexon with AT when they could have taken the advantage of cheapest petrol and diesel AT subcompact SUV, there is no news about launch of the JTP variants of Tiago/Tigor and now this Harrier launch. I will be cancelling the booking too as AT is a non negotiable requirement in today's traffic.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:44   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
And the dreaded news arrives. No AT available. Wishing Tata all the best in making this project into a success. The fact remains and as already stated aptly by someone in the posts above- " Tata always forces itself into an ever lasting catch up game". They didn't launch the Nexon with AT when they could have taken the advantage of cheapest petrol and diesel AT subcompact SUV, there is no news about launch of the JTP variants of Tiago/Tigor and now this Harrier launch. I will be cancelling the booking too as AT is a non negotiable requirement in today's traffic.

Can you please cite the source?
shashankjain16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:56   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
Can you please cite the source?
Do read up a few posts above, it is all by confirmed by Autocar India that AT will not be available at launch. Also, no AWD planned anytime soon.
I agree with what Dr Mohit has said, and it pains me so much Tata has mucked about on the small details that would elevate the product to the next level.
I am going to wait till May atleast before I cancel my booking.

So lets see what the Harrier will NOT have: Listed them in order of my preference.
1. AT
2. Sunroof
3. AWD or 4x4
4. Rear Disc brakes
5. Ventilated seats
6. 7 seats but that will be in a model coming up in 2020 at the earliest

Am I missing anything else?

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 3rd December 2018 at 15:00.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:00   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
do read up a few posts above, it is all by confirmed the AT will not be available at launch. Also, no AWD planned anytime soon.
I agree with what Dr Mohit has said, and it pains me so much Tata has mucked about on the small details that would elevate the product to the next level.
I am going to wait till May atleast before I cancel my booking.

Above posts are based on speculations and possible leaked news. I thought you heard something official from Tata somewhere.

In posts above, some have found fallacies in the facts posted on articles. So, there is still a chance Tata do a surprise. I would wait until there is an official news from Tata.

PS: You better cancel booking now and book again in May, so as not to lose interest on the booking amount

Last edited by navin : 3rd December 2018 at 16:21. Reason: typo
shashankjain16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:13   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
Above posts are based on speculations and possible leaked news. I thought you heard something official from Tata somewhere.

In posts above, some have found fallacies in the facts posted on articles. So, there is still a chance Tata do a surprise. I would wait until there is an official news from Tata.

PS: You better cancel booking now and book again in May, so as not to loose interest on the booking amount
There might be a few slip ups but I don't think Autocar India will publish something that will be grossly inaccurate. They've been the only one sharing these leaks like clockwork makes me believe that it's been fed to them via Tata Motors themselves.
Thanks for the tip regarding the booking.
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:21   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Here is what Autocar states why no AT at least for a pretty long time:
Quote:
Tata Harrier is based on Land Rover's L550 platform, and will be powered by a Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine. It’s learned that packaging the Fiat engine for an all-wheel drive setup in the Land Rover platform would require major re-engineering – specifically, modifying the position of the propeller shaft. Given the high costs involved with making such a change and the low demand for all-wheel drive SUVs in the segment, Tata Motors has no immediate plans to launch an AWD version of the Harrier.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 3rd December 2018 at 15:23.
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:26   #1800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post

I'm going to call the dealership in a day or two and figure out the cancellation formalities. I hope they're not a pain. This launch has been a disappointment and even more so because it's not because of any technical limitations, just because the project probably wasn't handled well and they just didn't have time to find a proper gearbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Looks like Tata will always be in a catch-up game and never the front-runner to lead the market..
It's true, automatics are hot these days, and it's disappointing that the Harrier won't get the AT from the get-go.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say that the project wasn't handled properly or that Tata will always be in catch up mode.

It needs to be understood that the Harrier first made its appearance 11 months ago when it was still in its Concept stage. From Concept to Production in under 12 months is a remarkable achievement for a company such as Tata.

Don't mistake me, I do not condone the actions of Tata in not providing an AT from launch, I only recognize that the company has come a long way.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd December 2018 at 16:38. Reason: Typo
suhaas307 is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks