Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:55   #3766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Fuel should not be filled after the auto-cutoff. Overfilling by this method will give you incorrect FE figures even when using Full tank to full tank method.
A much more important reason for doing so i.e. to NOT fill beyond auto-cutoff, is to allow some space in the tank for fuel vapors, failing which unwarranted pressure is exerted on the fuel tank!
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 16:00   #3767
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Tata Harrier now supports Apple CarPlay after official update
FYI, the head units for XZ variants are supplied by Visteon. Generally, you need to certify you head unit with Apple before it can be pushed to market.
rst89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 16:12   #3768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
FYI, the head units for XZ variants are supplied by Visteon. Generally, you need to certify you head unit with Apple before it can be pushed to market.
Then what all components of the ICE are supplied by JBL?
Old 3rd May 2019, 16:32   #3769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Then what all components of the ICE are supplied by JBL?
Please refer the below link:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-system-410383

If Visteon produces an infotainment system, the output in form of sound can be coupled to any speakers. In this case, speakers are from Harman. Apart from that expect Visteon to supply a bug fix along with Apple car play updates to reduce the bugs in Visteon head unit. If any one goes to update the same, please reproduce the update log in form of pic here in this thread.
rst89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:51   #3770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just shared a news article I thought would be helpful to fellow BHP-ians who own Tata Harrier or were deferring their purchase decision because the Harrier didn't support Apple Car Play. I own the humble Tata Nano and have no role in any promotion of Tata Harrier or it's related components.

I guess that Visteon would have got all the necessary certifications from Apple before rolling out the update for the users.

P.S. - "Please do not shoot the messenger!!"
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 22:32   #3771
BHPian

This Harrier was standing ... Garnering a lot of attention.
A compass passed by... Looked puny
The XUV didn't look as regal either
The headlight throw was decent too.
But about an hour later I saw it loaded on this flat bed.

What went wrong? It had a garland at the front and was unregistered!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1556902913923.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1556902925471.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1556902934427.jpg  

Dr.Suraj is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 08:41   #3772
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
But about an hour later I saw it loaded on this flat bed.
Weird of you to post this as I've just received an email from a Gaurav Sharma who works @ Nokia. He's written to Tata Motors + Guenter Butschek + Mayank Pareek (and copied us on it). In the email chain, Tata Motors have also acknowledged some of his problems (e.g. overheating & radiator leak). Further, he's captured everything on video.

I reiterate that the Harrier should have been delayed by 6 - 12 months and fully sorted out. The Nexon & Hexa were far more "complete" products at launch. Tata earlier had a reputation for problematic products & was finally getting out of it. Launching cars that aren't fully ready like this is going to affect their reputation. If any BHPians are planning to buy the Harrier, I STRONGLY recommend waiting for the 2020 or 2021 build.

Gaurav has asked Tata if there is some option to surrender his car to Tata Motors so that their R & D and quality team can work on it, or if Tata Motors can buy back this 1-month old car from him.

Here are the issues reported by Gaurav:

- While driving, he got the overheating alarm. Tata Motors later diagnosed it to be a coolant / radiator leak. Hope there's no engine damage already!

- Infotainment system frequently hanging / misbehaving (faced by us too).

- Car was not responding to the smartkey (he was unable to unlock the car and had to use the skeleton key). Our test car's remote key wasn't unlocking the boot.

- Unable to start the car. Getting some battery error on the screen and seems like the complete system got hung up, as he was unable to switch off the ignition and even after locking the car, the screen remains on.

- Climate control behaves weirdly (either you make it 18 degrees or 30 degrees, there is no difference in cooling). I'd noticed a related issue in one of our cars where setting the temp on 20 would make it really cold, but 21 would make it warm.

All this in a one month old car . I can only imagine what the long-term reliability of Gaurav's Harrier will be

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2019 at 08:54.
GTO is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 13:15   #3773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gaurav has asked Tata if there is some option to surrender his car to Tata Motors so that their R & D and quality team can work on it, or if Tata Motors can buy back this 1-month old car from him.
It is sad to hear TATA doing this again. Based on their recent launches it felt that they have learnt lessons from their past mistakes.

Our experience was similar when the ARIA's were first launched. Even the engineers who visited us from Tata Motors took a really long time to diagnose the issues.

I was keen on giving them another chance(exploring Nexon Automatic within the family). But I will tread carefully for now.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 13:37   #3774
BHPian

Quote:

I reiterate that the Harrier should have been delayed by 6 - 12 months and fully sorted out. The Nexon & Hexa were far more "complete" products at launch. Tata earlier had a reputation for problematic products & was finally getting out of it. Launching cars that aren't fully ready like this is going to affect their reputation. If any BHPians are planning to buy the Harrier, I STRONGLY recommend waiting for the 2020 or 2021 build.
I think Tata has had a very dubious track record of launching new platforms.
  • Indica had to be launched as the Indica V2 for it be acceptable.
  • Aria was relaunched as the Hexa which got rave reviews. Aria was definitely a half baked product.
  • Nexon which has earned all the kudos recently is actually based on the Bolt/Zest platform which were in turn was like V2 versions of the Vista platform.
  • The Tiago/tigor twins supposedly derive stuff from the Indica V2.
The only Tata car launched on a new platform which didint require a V2 version was the Storme.

Niggles on a 20 lakh SUV is bad.
Niggles on a 20 lakh TATA SUV is unexcusable ! I hope we dont need a V2 version of the Harrier for it to become acceptable !

PS.I'm a TATA fanboy and I really want it to succeed. TATA, M&M , Ford are manufacturers are the last hopes in this market that has slowly filled with overpriced, unsafe, tinny & dull to drive numb cars.

PS I own a pre owned Bolt ! And very happy with my usage.

Last edited by coldice4u : 4th May 2019 at 13:38.
coldice4u is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 13:38   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I was keen on giving them another chance(exploring Nexon Automatic within the family). But I will tread carefully for now.
If I were you I won't worry about the Nexon much. It is a proven, well established product. In fact, it is because of the Nexon that TATA was able to dissociate itself from the "Wait for a year before you buy" badge only for the Harrier to undo all the Nexon's good work. It has been two steps forward (Nexon & Tiago) and one step back (Harrier) for Tata.

I have a Nexon Automatic in the family and trust me it is an excellent choice. You can't go much wrong with it.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 13:40   #3776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All this in a one month old car . I can only imagine what the long-term reliability of Gaurav's Harrier will be
This is a HUGE setback for Tata motors as a manufacturer who were just coming out of the tarnished image. Feel sorry for the owner. So many issues in a month old car just reiterates what you (GTO) already said, they hurried into the launch. Hope TATA manages to sort out the problems quickly and do some damage control. People (including me) are going gaga about the harrier due to its looks and overall value proposition but now am sure everyone would be wary of plonking their hard earned money into this or for that matter any Tata product

As for the owner I guess he deserves a replacement ASAP, and sure as hell he would think a million times before investing in another Tata product. These things go a long way in damaging a company's image.

Last edited by SoumenD : 4th May 2019 at 13:42.
Old 4th May 2019, 16:26   #3777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
The Nexon is a high quality product. My friend got one of the very first Nexon Automatics and it is used as a daily driver for his family and is in perfect shape.

You should definitely consider it if it meets your requirements.

Last edited by spindoc : 4th May 2019 at 16:30.
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 18:46   #3778
BHPian

GTO's advisory is sound and needs to be seriously considered by anyone contemplating buying a Harrier.
These issues should definitely not have occured and it does point to a hurried / botched launch.

That said, I spoke to a very senior person at Tata Motors today and heard these specific problems have now been addressed at source and newer batches do not have them. The message I got is that the Harrier and the H7X are crucial to their future and they are serious about setting things right. Let's see how things play out.

I do hope the customer has all of the issues resolved to his utmost satisfaction.
spindoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 19:50   #3779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I just shared a news article I thought would be helpful to fellow BHP-ians... I own the humble Tata Nano and have no role in any promotion of Tata Harrier or it's related components... I guess that Visteon would have got all the necessary certifications from Apple before rolling out the update for the users... P.S. - "Please do not shoot the messenger!!"
Dear AdityaDeane, I re-read rst89's post again after your reply. In my opinion, he was explaining the process that a head-unit's supplier/ vehicle manufacturer (mentioned as 'you' in his post) need to complete; not 'shooting' you .

And he is correct at that explanation; sometimes software compatibility, bugs, legal agreement matters etc. result in delay of launching of such third-party applications. If I recall correctly, Maruti also had similar delays while launching Android Auto.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 4th May 2019 at 19:50. Reason: grammar correction
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 23:39   #3780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

After driving the Harrier last week along with you, I agree to this completely.

The thing is the Harrier has good underpinnings and basic engineering. Just that they just weren't able to bring everything together in time and still went ahead with it.

It's like they had the right ingredients, the right chef but instead of cooking it in a fine dining fashion they chose to make it at a fast food chain like McDonald's.

With these type of issues cropping in a month, the long term is seriously a massive gamble and risk.

What's disappointing is that the Hexa and NExon showed they were on the way up and buyers were getting confidence in buying a Tata.

These experiences basically undo all the years of hardwork they put in with the Nexon and Hexa.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks