Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2018, 16:09   #1516
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

quick question on these camouflage photos of the harrier, why would the company cover the roof of the car? I understand the reason to cover everything else, but why cover the roof? is there still a chance for a sunroof or should I say a panoramic sunroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
One more pic from the same page
Attachment 1819472

Is it my eyes or are both of these different sizes. The second row window on the right vehicle looks longer somehow?
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 17:08   #1517
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
There haven't been quality issues since the Zest days, so these comments based on grainy pictures of a pre-production test mule are fairly pointless and display bias.

Everyone knows that the materials used in these cannot be taken as a reflection of final product quality, so I suggest we reserve comment on quality, prices, and final specs until launch reviews are out.
Well, for this specific observation, the photograph isn't grainy. Not sure why would you dismiss them as pointless!

Secondly, expanding your argument, if the materials are not final product quality, then the entire exercise of road testing is pointless...
ihrishi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 18:10   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A wider shot of the interiors from Powerdrift Facebook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
The humanity line in the center - the faux aluminium - seems to have worn off due to lot of wear and tear...hoping this is a one off.
Painted plastics tend to loose colours around sharp lines (when come in contact with our body) I have seen this in many cars including Civic. That panel in Aluminium finish, they could have gone for a soft, rubberized plastic. Many times designers go for aesthetics rather than giving functionality/ergonomics a priority.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 18:16   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, for this specific observation, the photograph isn't grainy. Not sure why would you dismiss them as pointless!

Secondly, expanding your argument, if the materials are not final product quality, then the entire exercise of road testing is pointless...
It is not necessary to use every meterial of a test car should be of final quality. Different prototypes are made for different purposes. See the 2 photos of previous Tata test cars. The Aria is having dummy dashboard and Vista has some shiny dashboard elements which never made into productions. Even the interior of Mercedes prototypes with such kind of bad handling will get scratches on them. I think We should wait for a final product and then talk about quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-images-1.jpeg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-images.jpeg  

tushky is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 19:04   #1520
BHPian

Quote:

Two things:

The test mule has a ton of exposed wires and missing parts in the lower part of the dashboard. The faux aluminium piece may have been handled roughly or mounted / dismounted repeatedly e.g. to inspect something beneath it or attach any test equipment.

Also, not everything in the car needs to be production grade / in final shape - it depends on what is being tested.

Last edited by spindoc : 18th November 2018 at 19:05.
spindoc is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 21:59   #1521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
May not be, because both DRLS appear yellow and the scooter beside the Harrier seems to have a yellow headlight in this specific picture. Looks more like an attempt to manufacture "news".
Nope. Uday and GTO are right.

Check these two short videos of the same Harrier test mule shot simultaneously one after the other on the Ahmedabad-Rajasthan highway by Youtube user Ur Tech Assistant a few hours ago:

You can see that in the 1st one, the DRL section is brightly white whereas in the last seconds of the 2nd video, the DRL section has turned yellow and is blinking.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 02:40   #1522
BHPian

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular here, but let's not jump to conclusions about quality based on test mules, folks. The interior of most test cars that we see in pictures, do not reflect what the production finish would look like in most cases. Some examples have already been attached in a previous post, and there are more on this very forum.

By the way, it is jumping to conclusions like this, that probably makes all the manufacturers so hesitant to allow people to photograph the car before it is production ready, and then we make remarks and question why they don't want people taking pictures of test mules

I know that there is a lot of excitement around the product, and suggest that we as a forum not be over critical before Tata unveils the final product. If the quality is still bad in the production avatar, then please do bash away, but for heaven's sake, let them get the cars into showrooms and check them out in person to assess for yourself.

P.S: I am not a Tata fanboy, but do appreciate the strides being made by the company to better their products, and try to exceed the quality offered by other market leaders

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 13:29   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
It is not necessary to use every meterial of a test car should be of final quality. Different prototypes are made for different purposes. See the 2 photos of previous Tata test cars. The Aria is having dummy dashboard and Vista has some shiny dashboard elements which never made into productions. Even the interior of Mercedes prototypes with such kind of bad handling will get scratches on them. I think We should wait for a final product and then talk about quality.
Understood. I just felt that the dashboard for the Harrier has been consistent since the beginning and hence feels like the final version. But what you say makes sense and I will hold any further comments on this.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 15:38   #1524
BHPian

It is definitely different sizes, my guess is also 5 seater and 7 seater. One can count the squared tiles of the floor to be sure it is no illusion!
Old 19th November 2018, 15:46   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
It is definitely different sizes, my guess is also 5 seater and 7 seater. One can count the squared tiles of the floor to be sure it is no illusion!
I also felt the same initially but realized that one of them has some extra padding on the rear windshield which is giving the impression of a longer vehicle.
Old 19th November 2018, 16:36   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
No - they are both likely 5-seaters. It seems to simply be a case of perspective distortion in the photo.

Just to illustrate, one can count 13 tiles along the entire length of the car on the left while there seem to be as many tiles just between the front grille and the B Pillar for the one on the right. There is no way the vehicles can differ so much in size.
Old 19th November 2018, 17:42   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
No - they are both likely 5-seaters. It seems to simply be a case of perspective distortion in the photo.

Just to illustrate, one can count 13 tiles along the entire length of the car on the left while there seem to be as many tiles just between the front grille and the B Pillar for the one on the right. There is no way the vehicles can differ so much in size.
That's easy the one on the left has 1.5 lengths per rectangle of tiles while the one on the right is 1 length per rectangle of tiles due to the way the design interlocks. So the left is is 13*1.5 = 19.5 and the right 21 sets of tile. Moreover the difference between the 5 & 7 seater is only 200 mm in a 4600 mm vehicle so a difference of 5 %.

So though I thought of counting tiles I thought since the left sides rear overhang is invisible and the wheelbase between both likely to be same the tile method wont give any conclusive results.

The reason I posted the pic was to me they looked different in size and also wherever a 7 seater is mentioned the vehicle has had black alloys and what seems as extra packing.

I also looked at the omega arc launch video and the 7 seater seems to have a stepped roof and roof rails like the safari which is not there on these prototypes unless Tata has flattened the roof on the test vehicles. Also it seems unlikely that they can launch the 7 seater any time soon without any mules but I hear timelines ranging from mid to end 2019.

I wish for once Tata comes clean on the 7 seater.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 17:59   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
That's easy the one on the left has 1.5 lengths per rectangle of tiles while the one on the right is 1 length per rectangle of tiles due to the way the design interlocks.....

I wish for once Tata comes clean on the 7 seater.
As per my information, difference in length between 5 Seater and 7 Seater is about 70 mm only with a new tail gate providing providing better head room for the third row.

Of course, this has to be officially confirmed by TATA Motors....
Old 19th November 2018, 18:57   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveT View Post
As per my information, difference in length between 5 Seater and 7 Seater is about 70 mm only with a new tail gate providing providing better head room for the third row.

Of course, this has to be officially confirmed by TATA Motors....
That is interesting as this opens up 3 possibilities namely:-
- The large sedan/crossover(third vehicle in the video) on Omega Arc is 4800 mm which is almost the same size as a Benz E class
- The H7X is 4800 mm and the Harrier is 4730 mm which is much larger than the H5X
- The H7X is not the largest vehicle on the platform and there is an even bigger vehicle planned

Also unless the tail gate is a scorpio type straight which the rear design does not seem to be like from the Omega Arch video not sure how it will improve headroom without increasing length substantially.
Old 20th November 2018, 02:35   #1530
BHPian

https://news.maxabout.com/cars/tata/...photos-leaked/
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierinteriorleakednew.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed