Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 06:40   #1531
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Thanks for the pics. The key fob is from the Nexon. They could have provided a slightly upmarket one, I feel. The seats look Drool and Tata has left nothing out in the interiors. Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 14:06   #1532
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

There was a debate here around the "leaked" pricing sometime ago. Tata Motors have stated again that the on-road pricing is expected to be between 16 and 21 Lakhs.

we're glad to hear this and would like to inform you that the on-road price is expected to be between Rs. 16 lakhs (base model) to Rs. 21 lakhs (top-end variant). The cost will include registration charges, insurance, etc.

Source

Last edited by spindoc : 20th November 2018 at 14:09.
spindoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 14:32   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
There was a debate here around the "leaked" pricing sometime ago. Tata Motors have stated again that the on-road pricing is expected to be between 16 and 21 Lakhs.

we're glad to hear this and would like to inform you that the on-road price is expected to be between Rs. 16 lakhs (base model) to Rs. 21 lakhs (top-end variant). The cost will include registration charges, insurance, etc.

Source
It'll indeed be very, very interesting to see how many buyers from the general population (not counting T Bhp enthusiasts) who are used to paying 16-17 Lakh tops (on road) for the 5 seater Creta migrate to the Harrier by paying 4-6 Lakh extra.

Similarly, it will be even more interesting to see how many buyers, who are used to paying 20-21 Lakh for the 7 seater XUV and Hexa, now pay the same to get a 5 seater Harrier.

Game on Tata!! Brave move.
rovingeye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 15:50   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Similarly, it will be even more interesting to see how many buyers, who are used to paying 20-21 Lakh for the 7 seater XUV and Hexa, now pay the same to get a 5 seater Harrier.
Game on Tata!! Brave move.
If the actual price is going to be 21L on road, i will, reluctantly, book the Hexa.

In my mind, a Harrier is worth 18L on road.
ihrishi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 15:51   #1535
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-compare_interest_harrier.png

Here's an interesting Google trends graph showing interest in the Harrier. Note that the other cars in this comparison are already launched and in the market for a good 2 years at least. It will be interesting to see what shape this graph takes once Harrier hits the market.

(Mods : Sorry for the back to back post)
rovingeye is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 16:09   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It'll indeed be very, very interesting to see how many buyers from the general population (not counting T Bhp enthusiasts) who are used to paying 16-17 Lakh tops (on road) for the 5 seater Creta migrate to the Harrier by paying 4-6 Lakh extra
Yes, the Harrier's main competitors will be the Creta (top-end variant) and the Compass and there will be a definite set of Tata fanboys who are perhaps waiting in the wings to switchover.
The switchover will also be fueled to a certain extent due to the increasingly improving perception in the general population that Tata has now finally understood the new-age, modern car user's demands and is reciprocating by means of savvy products like the Hexa, Nexon and the Tiago/Tigor.

As for pricing, guess it is still doing the rounds and one can only hope that Tata keeps it sane, and doesn't go overboard.

I think the general population should be able to see a "physical" difference when it comes to comparing Harrier, Creta and the likes.
The below table perhaps gives an indication of the specs in terms of the physicalities atleast:-
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-spec_harrier-vs-creta-others.png
The Harrier is a significant 305mm longer and 180mm wider than the Creta! And it trumps the other rival, Compass, too by decent margins.

Source

Quote:
In this case, the switchover from a 7-seater to a 5-seater may not be that pronounced since the buyer categories and preferences for both are different.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 16:22   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
If the actual price is going to be 21L on road, i will, reluctantly, book the Hexa.

Deep within I still feel Tata will launch the Harrier at prices that is a notch lower than the 16L-21L range they're keen on 'leaking'. I have no idea (nor does anyone here) whether the 21L top end is for a Diesel manual or Diesel Auto.

I am not keen on spending more than 16-18L, but if the product is good and it fulfills my criteria (loaded Auto) then I do not mind extending a bit. Let's see how it pans out...
I know it does not compare, but with RE surprising us with a 'mouth watering' price for its 650 twins. I am hoping Tata would follow suit.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 20th November 2018 at 16:24.
hiren.mistry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 16:52   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
I think that's the mental ballpark a lot of people are going with. But Tata being Tata, they may not see it that way - especially if they are okay with the Harrier not being a mass market car.

Btw, 2019 is going to be an extremely confusing year for 5 seater SUV buyers in India. With Kia launching the Trazor around April 2019, they might pull a lot of volume from Creta/Harrier. Kia is a popular brand in the US and sells good cars at cut throat prices.

Here's the Kia Trazor (concept):

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-kiaspconceptprofileatautoexpo2018.jpg

Source

Last edited by rovingeye : 20th November 2018 at 17:09.
rovingeye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 17:24   #1539
Senior - BHPian

What should have ideally been a 15 lakhs OTR segment was taken to 18-19 lakhs by the Creta and now the Harrier will take it into the 20s. The next all new Creta will launch at these prices.

The pricing is well thought out and will create space for any of the junior siblings to fill the gap.

The Verna and City started out as 9 to 12 lakh cars, now they are priced between 15-18 lakhs.( decently specced versions). The segment prices just keep increasing.

The C class used to be around 40 lakhs now it is between 52-62 lakhs OTR, made sufficient space for the CLA to slot in.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 18:44   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I know it does not compare, but with RE surprising us with a 'mouth watering' price for its 650 twins. I am hoping Tata would follow suit.
I think the comparison is very valid. An indian manufacturer having 100% localization and access to the best technology like Tata should take a leaf out of Bajaj's and RE's success story and provide the best they can at the best price they can and rake in their profits by completely dominating the segment using every advantage they can. This is a sureshot way of getting the better of competition. They need to play on their strengths and the strengths of the group where they are in a position owning a majority of the supply chain in house an advantage with even Bajaj or RE dont have.

If they cannot I wonder why considering that they can price a much bigger Hexa loaded to the brim at 21 L OTR with their existing labour intensive manufacturing why would they not be able to launch a Harrier which is 90% automated manufacturing at 18 L OTR that too without AWD or Auto.

The volumes alone would make this a much more attractive offering and give a much needed boost to brand Tata.

On the younger siblings front I think there is a huge gap between the Nexon and the Hexa that needs filling and they do not seem to have anything else in their current or planned portfolio to fill that up. At a higher price point the lack of a Tata brand and the popularity of existing and new exotic rivals will definitely be a dampener.
nainan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 19:13   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Deep within I still feel Tata will launch the Harrier at prices that is a notch lower than the 16L-21L range they're keen on 'leaking'. I have no idea (nor does anyone here) whether the 21L top end is for a Diesel manual or Diesel Auto.

I am not keen on spending more than 16-18L, but if the product is good and it fulfills my criteria (loaded Auto) then I do not mind extending a bit. Let's see how it pans out...
100% With you on this. Call it wishful thinking, call me naive, a price of 18L on road for the auto box should be a great price. It still is missing a sun roof which for me is an aspirational must have.

One thing is for sure, Harrier or Hexa - either of them is coming home. Bonus will be if the H7X retails for @20L.
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 19:41   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100% With you on this. Call it wishful thinking, call me naive, a price of 18L on road for the auto box should be a great price. It still is missing a sun roof which for me is an aspirational must have.

One thing is for sure, Harrier or Hexa - either of them is coming home. Bonus will be if the H7X retails for @20L.
Greedy much!!
So atleast 1 Tata vehicle is coming to your stable soon. I hope its the Harrier (5X/7X). After a flurry of informational videos it's all gone rather quiet.
Now the only thing left for them to reveal are the true production spec interiors, tech specs and price. Middle of December can't come soon enough.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 20th November 2018 at 19:56.
hiren.mistry is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 23:10   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
Greedy much!!
So atleast 1 Tata vehicle is coming to your stable soon. I hope its the Harrier (5X/7X). After a flurry of informational videos it's all gone rather quiet.

Cheers
Two reasons for things getting quiet:
1. The leaked price is not up to everyone's expectation. Personally, I am not sure if Tata is ready to take the leap. People are still building faith in the brand.

2. Leak/Rumor about the lack of Auto and AWD during launch.

Combine 1 and 2 and suddenly people lost interest. If the rumors are true, this is gong to be the market response as well. And once Tata brings these models out in the market and not much people buy them, then introduction of AWD/Auto will not help gain market share. As long as people don't see a lot of cars on road once it is available for sale, most people consider it a flop, more so, when it is a Tata. People are just waiting for a reason to take Tata cars off their test drive lists (I have personally seen this.). The company has to be very careful about this car now.
DieselAddikt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 09:15   #1544
BHPian

I received a call from Concorde Motors two days ago. The Finance department informed me that they will be delivering on first come first serve basis therefore they are getting in the finance papers of everyone interested in a loan into the system.

I informed him that I’ll be purchasing the vehicle outright so I don’t require finance.

Seems more like they aren’t happy with the number of bookings coming and are using this entire early finance scheme as an unfortunate way to bait customers into the sale
mikem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 10:10   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
And once Tata brings these models out in the market and not much people buy them, then introduction of AWD/Auto will not help gain market share. As long as people don't see a lot of cars on road once it is available for sale, most people consider it a flop, more so, when it is a Tata. People are just waiting for a reason to take Tata cars off their test drive lists (I have personally seen this.). The company has to be very careful about this car now.

Can't agree more on this ..Irrespective of what Tata's market study indicated them on the demand and roll-out plan, if they have to really get customers (existing and new) excited and make a break-through in the market about Tata's brand and value, they have to do it right this time. Both on the price and features front. I know it's a big ask, but feel that they got no choice, but to deliver..Not sure how long before an INdian Auto maker starts rolling-out international standard vehicles matching the features and pricing (less is good)..
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks