Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 08:15   #1711
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Not that there's anything wrong with a hydraulic unit, just that EPS seems to be the direction that auto technology is moving towards, so would have hoped that TATA would have chosen it. And as for praise, there is plenty of it for EPS too in the forum (such as re the Ford Endeavour's EPS).
hydraulic power steering usually gives better feedback.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 08:44   #1712
BHPian

By mid of next week will have the official information on variants at launch hopefully price too. It should clear lot of the air.

Last edited by bageherath : 30th November 2018 at 08:53.
bageherath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 09:16   #1713
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Those who are worried about the size and parking can buy a hatchback or even a so-called compact SUVs (I prefer to call them pseudo SUVs). They have no business looking at a car from this segment.

So, no. This will not deter any real prospective buyers, because the prospective buyers are only considering Harrier because it's big. There can't be another way of looking at it.
I wonder why you need to be so dismissive about others' opinion or other cars, calling them pseudo SUVs etc. It seems that you know what ALL prospective buyers want from the Harrier which, let me assure you, is not the case. I understand your passion and enthusiasm for the Harrier but I guess you should take it a bit easy to ensure we have healthy participation and diversity of views in this forum.

As a prospective buyer myself of a mid-size SUV, I am looking at something similar to size in Creta,Duster or Compass. And Harrier was one of the considerations though not my most preferred option. Now, after the size of the Harrier is revealed which is bigger than a CRV, it is practically out of my consideration and I want something more compact and easy to live with in the crowded cities.

So, the point made above is perfectly valid. There are proposective buyers like me who will not like to live with a vehicle the size of the Harrier. Whether Tata Motors cares about it is another matter as we don't know what segment, volume etc they are looking at.

Last edited by adimicra : 30th November 2018 at 09:18.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 10:20   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I wonder why you need to be so dismissive about others' opinion or other cars, calling them pseudo SUVs etc. It seems that you know what ALL prospective buyers want from the Harrier which, let me assure you, is not the case. I understand your passion and enthusiasm for the Harrier but I guess you should take it a bit easy to ensure we have healthy participation and diversity of views in this forum.
I didn't mean to be dismissive and sorry if it appeared so. Just that our definition of prospective customers seem to be completely different.

FWIW, I myself own a pseudo SUV. And there's nothing wrong in calling a spade a spade. BTW, I do not consider the Duster to be one of them since that's quite a capable vehicle coming in a 4x4 version too.

Quote:
As a prospective buyer myself of a mid-size SUV, I am looking at something similar to size in Creta,Duster or Compass. And Harrier was one of the considerations though not my most preferred option. Now, after the size of the Harrier is revealed which is bigger than a CRV, it is practically out of my consideration and I want something more compact and easy to live with in the crowded cities.

So, the point made above is perfectly valid. There are proposective buyers like me who will not like to live with a vehicle the size of the Harrier. Whether Tata Motors cares about it is another matter as we don't know what segment, volume etc they are looking at.
Not sure if you were following the earlier posts on this very thread but it was documented and amply clear that Harrier will be way bigger than the vehicles you mentioned. Now what makes somebody a prospective customer? Somebody who simply likes that car? Or someone who can afford that car? Or someone who likes/needs/wants such a car plus can afford that car? You can probably take out the 'needs' clause there, but I would say a prospective customer is someone who likes/wants that class of vehicle and can afford it too. So, should I say, you have un-become (sorry, I can't find a suitable word) a prospective customer or were you never really one all along?

This is the problem with fixing our eyes on something we don't know yet. For god's sake, let us just wait for a few days and discuss only what we know instead of speculating on what we don't know yet.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 10:20   #1715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, the fact that this car is going to be quite a bit larger than Creta and even the compass was very well known from the early days. Which is why many among us thought that a price above Creta is very well justified. What we didn't know we're just the exact dimensions and of course the weight.

What I believe he wanted to convey is that we all know from beginning that Harrier will not have compact dimensions, then why express disappointment over that now. It's like expressing disappointment on a hatchback thread saying it does not have space for 7 people.

It is not expected to have and if one has been following this thread from beginning would know that harrier was never believed to be as compact as the Creta or compass even!
Old 30th November 2018, 10:38   #1716
BHPian

Quote:

Hope T-BHP is invited to these. And I hope, thje Admins are kind enough to share some of their impressions later in the week.

Cheeers
GTO stays 10 mins from the Concorde Motors (Tata Motors) Showroom. He should camp out over there if T-B.H.P. is not invited for the media drives.

I promise to get him sustenance from Starbucks across the street for as long as necessary.

Last edited by mikem : 30th November 2018 at 10:41. Reason: quote coding error
mikem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 10:58   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Well, the fact that this car is going to be quite a bit larger than Creta and even the compass was very well known from the early days.
Well, we were told that it is going to be the size of the Compass, or maybe a tad bigger. But it turned out to be even bigger than the XUV which makes it very city-unfriendly, especially in a city like Bangalore.

Well, there is nothing wrong with a Tata car competing with the XUV, but its biggest drawback is going to be the two row seating. XUV has three.
Old 30th November 2018, 11:19   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Well, we were told that it is going to be the size of the Compass, or maybe a tad bigger. But it turned out to be even bigger than the XUV which makes it very city-unfriendly, especially in a city like Bangalore.

Well, there is nothing wrong with a Tata car competing with the XUV, but its biggest drawback is going to be the two row seating. XUV has three.
Well, below was posted almost 3 months back (there will be posts from earlier timeframe as well) Almost 200 mm longer than compass and just 10mm lesser than xuv.
I don't mean that everyone should be following this thread deeply, just meant to say that it has been a common knowledge in this thread that this car is going to be quite close to the XUV size wise if not more. (We already saw the H5X concept to have an idea of the size and Tata has been maintaining that the production model will be quite close to the concept!)
Definitely not a compact SUV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Here are dimensions of Creta, Compass, and Harrier for comparison

Creta 4270 x 1780 x 1630
Compass 4395 x 1818 x 1640
Harrier 4575 x 1960 x 1686

Overall stance is going to be more like Compass than traditional tall, boxy SUVs. Harrier may look slightly better due to it's width.

Last edited by vibbs : 30th November 2018 at 11:22.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 11:59   #1719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
GTO stays ....

I promise to get him sustenance from Starbucks across the street for as long as necessary.

But dont bet too much on getting to hear the impressions ahead of time
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 13:03   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely not a compact SUV!!
Sorry if its a nitpick but by definition Discovery Sport and consequently the Harrier are Compact SUVs as is the Compass and the Creta. The Hexa and Alturas mid size SUVs and the Range Rover is a full size SUV.

Land Rover Discovery Sport

The trouble being we do not have many full size SUVs in India and product like the Duster and Creta are closer to the lower end of the Compact spectrum and the Harrier/Discovery Sport towards the upper extreme.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 13:09   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Sorry if its a nitpick but by definition Discovery Sport and consequently the Harrier are Compact SUVs as is the Compass and the Creta. The Hexa and Alturas mid size SUVs and the Range Rover is a full size SUV.

Land Rover Discovery Sport

The trouble being we do not have many full size SUVs in India and product like the Duster and Creta are closer to the lower end of the Compact spectrum and the Harrier/Discovery Sport towards the upper extreme.
That is correct. But I was talking from a more Indian context. Mainly that Harrier will be closer in size to XUVs than the cretas or even compasses.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 14:04   #1722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is correct. But I was talking from a more Indian context. Mainly that Harrier will be closer in size to XUVs than the Creta or even compasses.
Now that we know almost positively that the 6 speed MT from the Jeep Compass is making it to the Harrier, I was trying to go back through the Team BHP review of the Compass Diesel to know how good the Gearbox is. Below are extracts from the review.
  • What you'll further appreciate is the smooth gearshift (previously unseen in an FCA India product) and soft clutch. Neither require much effort to use. The gearbox is light to operate, with even reverse gear (located above 1st) slotting in super easy. It's not all perfect though. For one, the clutch pedal's and dead pedal's resting points are too high (this will annoy tall drivers), and the light clutch has an unnecessarily long travel range.
  • The ball-shaped gear lever is sweet to hold - a welcome change from the ubiquitous rectangular shifters seen on most cars. This 6-speed gearbox is very light + smooth to operate. There aren't any jerks or vibrations felt on it either. You have to lift the dog collar to engage reverse (up and ahead of 1st). Surprisingly, reverse gear is effortless to engage, unlike some other cars where you have to really push it hard beyond 1st. As if to match it, the clutch pedal is soft to use. On the negative side, it has a long throw and its resting point (along with the dead pedal's) is too high.

Good to see that we are getting a very good gearbox, I hope TATA takes care of the long travel clutch and the gap between the first and second gears.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 30th November 2018 at 14:06.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 14:10   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I wrote No Automatic = No Buy few minutes ago on the latest teaser and this is what I got from the Youtube handler. I am guessing its a standard reply.
I read somewhere that AT was not going to be a viable option with the FIAT engine and hence will not be offered. There was a talk about another option sometime down the road.
Anyways, am looking forward to the first looks and the official TBHP review.
BTW - Not sure if others agree but somehow the front looks like Nexon's big brother, i would have preferred the boxy look from the concept. Thoughts?
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 14:13   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
I read somewhere that AT was not going to be a viable option with the FIAT engine and hence will not be offered. There was a talk about another option sometime down the road.
The AT has been spied in the past: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...st-time-410060
Old 30th November 2018, 14:53   #1725
BHPian

Tata Harrier to get unique twin digital screens
Quote:
In addition to the 8.8-inch touchscreen for the infotainment system, the @TataMotors #Harrier will also get a 7.0-inch digital instrument cluster that can relay music, turn-by-turn navigation and other infotainment data.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20181130151938_chrome.jpg

LINK

Quote:
What’s more interesting, however, is the digital instrument cluster. While the speedometer will be analogue, the rest of the binnacle will be occupied by a 7.0-inch screen that will not only house a digital tachometer and trip/fuel computer, but will also share information with the 8.8-inch touchscreen. The system, based on OEM Visteon’s ‘Smart Core Cockpit’ interface, is capable of relaying music, turn-by-turn navigation and other infotainment data right in the instrument pod so the driver doesn’t have to change his line of sight.

Last edited by JS Kwt : 30th November 2018 at 14:58.
JS Kwt is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks