Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 09:55   #2221
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I believe there is a big scope for improvement in the looks department, see the similarities between the Harrier and Discovery basic front layout.

Attachment 1826732
I was wondering, if people are able to convert their Brezza into Jeep Compass Look-a-like, will there ever be kits to make the Harrier's overdone front to me made like a Range Rover look-a-like ?
Old 11th December 2018, 10:08   #2222
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

I too find the front end too overdone. Does not gel with the side profile. I wonder how Pratap Bose who signed off Hexa,Tiago and Tigor could have signed off Nexon and Harrier. Another big negative will be nicked/damaged headlamps as has been indicated by Hormuzd in his review. Great opportunity lost
Old 11th December 2018, 10:14   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Aren't we all focusing on what's wrong in the Harrier? Why don't we focus on what's good like the LR platform, great suspension, driving dynamics, nice interiors, first in class 2 screens, strong build, proven engine and many things. Automatic is a miss for sure, but lack of affordable technology must have prevented Tata from launching it.

How many other than T Bhpian's actually care about sunroof, AWD? Sunroof can always be added later as was done with Hexa.

Again, people talk about the number of pre-bookings and pass judgement over the success of the vehicle. The prices are pure speculative.

Let the vehicle be launched, see it, drive it, feel it and then judge...

For many I think it's just matter of sour grapes
Cool, we are just judging the car not people. Half the things you mention are not part of 'platform'. Except for off road prowess, I dont know what other things LR is well known for. And we have a highly modified, pared down to cost use of the paltform.

Its a great car indeed. As we have seen and talked before, its not the best Tata that people are after. The best car in the segment is what people want.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th December 2018 at 11:31. Reason: Minor formatting of quoted post and post, for improved readability
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:00   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
I agree. I don't want to hurt any potential buyer's sentiment, but, I am finding the style a bit too roundy and feminine too. Just, purely, my personal opinion. The orange isn't helping either.
Yes, it indeed looks like a furtuner facelift currently on sale (if you can call it roundy and feminine). But then, there's nothing wrong in that look, as long as it is IMPOSING on road.
Old 11th December 2018, 11:07   #2225
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel that except for the AT bit, this is the best SUV to seat 5 this side of 30L.

And yes AT will also come if those needing it wait for max a year.

This will have more comfortable 5 seats than the Creta, XUV, Compass, Innova, Fortuner and if we consider the pros of Monocoque chassis movement over ladder frame even the Hexa.

Endeavour and New Rexton can be considered to be more comfortable but at 40% more price at the least.

I would rate this as a good option vs even the X1, Q3, GLA etc. If brand snob value is not key.

Last edited by ACM : 11th December 2018 at 11:08.
ACM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:26   #2226
BHPian

Quote:
Tata Motors is creating a new segment with Harrier, says Mayank Pareek

Mayank Pareek, president of Passenger Vehicle Business Unit, Tata Motors, spoke about the strategy behind the launch of its premium sports utility vehicle (SUV) Harrier, expectations from the vehicle and urban and rural play during an interview with Swati Khandelwal of Zee Business.
source

If you take the 7-8 % of 3.5 million vehicles it comes to around 20000 monthly volume . Even if we think this is for all three years then too the volume is 7000 per month. This comes close to my earlier estimate of 5000-10000 vehicles per month i.e Creta territory. He also talks about the segment being 7 years old which he is expecting Harrier customers to upgrade from. Though he calls it compact I believe its the subcompact one which had the ecosport launch in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
As we have seen and talked before, its not the best Tata that people are after. The best car in the segment is what people want.
Is the best Tata that far from the best car in the segment? My impression of the Hexa was that its an excellent car with ride and handling quite sorted in fact better than cars twice its price. The auto gear box is one of the best. The infotainment system too is excellent except for a slightly small screen. The looks in the rear quadrant, a better looking bonnet, manual drivetrain were the only areas I felt had scope for improvement. To me the Harrier checks all these boxes(and I assume the H7X will retain that) but moving the price so north which now the above statement from Mayank puts into question was the only unreal element

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2018 at 08:00. Reason: When posting from an external source, only quote an excerpt with a link to the full post
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:36   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This will have more comfortable 5 seats than the Creta, XUV, Compass, Innova, Fortuner and if we consider the pros of Monocoque chassis movement over ladder frame even the Hexa.

Endeavour and New Rexton can be considered to be more comfortable but at 40% more price at the least.

I would rate this as a good option vs even the X1, Q3, GLA etc. If brand snob value is not key.
I felt Tucson’s space and comfort much better than other cars in the segment from multiple test drives I took a year ago.
Old 11th December 2018, 11:42   #2228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjkonline View Post
Me too. I keep endlessly staring at the Harrier front end and wondering if they could have somehow made it more subtle and classy. I feel the clean lines project a sort of continuity on the sides and back of the vehicle, but the front is out of sync with that idea. Heck, the Hexa front looks classy in comparison. I really admire the designs of the Jeep front grille where they maintain their heritage design, but still make sure that it's not out of sync with the rest of the vehicle. Waiting to see Harrier in person and be proven wrong.
You are not alone, with that thought. IMHO, Tata did really well with the overall design, and then went berserk with the front end treatment in a lame attempt to be different. That said, I quite like what they have achieved with the Harrier.
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:47   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Even if we think this is for all three years then too the volume is 7000 per month. This comes close to my earlier estimate of 5000-10000 vehicles per month i.e Creta territory.
Wow! Seven thousand per month is extremely optimistic in my opinion. If that is the case, I am buying Tata Motors shares first and the Harrier later

On a serious note: I think TATA should be happy if the Harrier does 2000-3000 units per month. They have to beat the XUV 500 sales for the Harrier to be called a success. Creta should be the target for Harrier 2.0 if they add all black interiors, AWD, AT, sunroof etc. Maybe a Sports version as well with the 170 hp tune engine and all four disc brakes.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:53   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Wow! Seven thousand per month is extremely optimistic in my opinion. If that is the case, I am buying Tata Motors shares first and the Harrier later

On a serious note: I think TATA should be happy if the Harrier does 2000-3000 units per month. They have to beat the XUV 500 sales for the Harrier to be called a success. Creta should be the target for Harrier 2.0 if they add all black interiors, AWD, AT, sunroof etc. Maybe a Sports version as well with the 170 hp tune engine and all four disc brakes.
Isn't he talking about the whole market and not just Tata's share in that ? They are expecting premium segment to grow and get good share of that
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 12:26   #2231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Seen their shares lately?

Our shares thread had predicted it hit bottom and is a good time to buy due to Nexon and Tiago success and Harrier prospects few months back. From then what i bought has lost 54% investments.

Harrier is not going to help either. The platform cousin - Landrover has to pick up steam internationally.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 12:34   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't he talking about the whole market and not just Tata's share in that ? They are expecting premium segment to grow and get good share of that
My bad! I misread. He is indeed talking about the whole market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Seen their shares lately?

Harrier is not going to help either. The platform cousin - Landrover has to pick up steam internationally.
True! And I still bought a few yesterday

Apologies everyone for going
Old 11th December 2018, 12:40   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutlander View Post

The latter argument is something that befuddles me to no end. Non-Indian OEMs who have had 90-100% localisation done, get a sort of license to keep inflated prices but Tata (or Mahindra, for that matter) cannot catch a break despite producing amazing vehicles that could easily stand on par with those from foreign OEMs

This is because Indian manufacturers enjoy a legacy tag of not bothering to create value for their customers, look at TATA vehicles from the recent past, hell look at storme, it has issues to which TATA has no answers or if put correctly they have not bothered to look for them so in the face of such carelessness will anyone pay a premium? I think not
Old 11th December 2018, 13:30   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Actually the way he puts it is difficult to interpret but the 3.5 million is total yearly sales and his expectation of the premium segment is 7-8 % of that which is 245000 - 280000 per year which translates to 20500-23000 pm. Even if they consider 30% penetration of this market as a success that itself is 6000+ vehicles per month. 2000-3000 units would be a 10-15% market share among just Harrier competitor SUVs.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 14:09   #2235
BHPian

Booked a Hexa test drive for Saturday!! Lets see how that goes!

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2018 at 18:14. Reason: Fixed dotty post
ihrishi is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks