Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 15:56   #2656
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Tata Harrier at the Mumbai Marathon, few pics

Source : Twitteratti
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier-mumbai-marathon.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20190113wa0002.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20190113wa0003.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 16:40   #2657
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
In the video review by bhpian parrys, he was complaining about the gap between center console and hand brake lever top surface at disengaged position (see screen shot below). I think the gap is by design; otherwise, your fingers will get crushed during disengaging if you wrap around the handle and push it down.

That's a good one, Latheesh. Just shows that the manufacturer has put lot of thought behind this considering various factors, not just the aesthetics.
prakash_ajp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 16:48   #2658
BHPian

I saw this on display at T3 in Delhi the other day and spent some time in the car.

To me, as an average buyer, i liked what i saw.The seats/layout are good and a lot of space all around. The relevant plastic parts were nice to touch and feel.

If I am in the market in this price range/budget, I will compare it against XUV (since they are similarly sized) and not Creta as it is a compact SUV. Their is a distinct market for a compact SUV that will always pick Creta over Harrier/XUV due to the smaller size needed in the city, i think.

Since price and size of XUV and Harrier are going to be similar, when compared against XUV, Harrier will be at a disadvantage due to it having only 5 seats when compared with 7 of XUV. Thats how most practical people will decide.

So if we take out the buyers looking for smaller sized SUV (Creta) and bigger capacity SUV (XUV), a large potential buyer segment will be out of reckoning for Harrier. TATA need a 7 seater SUV to counter XUV ASAP and price Harrier comparable to Creta to attract buyers from compact SUV segment.

On the whole i think it will be difficult for Harrier to sustain monthly numbers of over 3K with the advertised price range.
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 16:55   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
4. OVRMs (which are huge) seem to be made of 100% plastic and ready to break?
OVRMs on all modern cars are plastic
Guna is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 17:59   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
OVRMs on all modern cars are plastic
He must be thinking of metal mirrors seeing chrome orvm covers on most SUV mirrors. That chrome cover is also made of plastic.
AirbusCapt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 18:35   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: Neither do we permit sarcastic posts, nor do we allow biased ones. Team-BHP has ZERO TOLERANCE toward the same.

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2019 at 07:39.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 15th January 2019, 18:45   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
In the video review by bhpian parrys, he was complaining about the gap between center console and hand brake lever top surface at disengaged position (see screen shot below). I think the gap is by design; otherwise, your fingers will get crushed during disengaging if you wrap around the handle and push it down.
The only reason I wouldn't dismiss this theory outright is because I don't think it's too hard to fashion this lever (and the mechanism) such that it sits flush with the centre console, so I admit to a possibility of it being a "design feature".

But I don't see how one would manage to get their fingers crushed when disengaging - one would have left hand fingers under the front and centre position where there'd be space anyway.

For me, that's an absolutely pathetic miss in fit and finish (not just because I'd like something like this to be flush, but what makes it utterly deplorable is that it doesn't seem hard to execute). I'm sure it may be trivial for many, but I personally find such design unacceptable.

I may be loosely described as a Tata fanboy myself, but this being hailed as thoughtful design had me go

Also, since I seem to have finally lost my resolve to stay out of commenting on a thread fraught with multiple contentious points, I'd just like to thank parrys for sharing his keen and minute observations with people like me who have little chance of even seeing the car anytime soon.

While we're on the subject, my 2 cents (as a Tata fanboy, I remind you) - if one is enraged by statement of fact about a product they like, I don't know what to say. It is up to one to interpret presented facts - to take issue against someone's observations and opinions, and blame them for YouTube comments is laughable. Reminded me of the iPhone vs Android battles on lesser internet discussion avenues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
But fanboys remain fanboys, who are bashing on that single video on YouTube. But to who it matters, it has been received well. And that was the purpose of it, to bring to notice.
Hadn't come across your channel before this sir. You have a new subscriber.

Quote:
If the sales guy will push it as a Land Rover, won't people expect it to be one? Not correct to think so, but still, why plant such a seed and then let something else grow out of it.
Had been itching to quote this for days - the most Land Rover like thing about it is certainly the screens acting up and needing a reset. The only thing more Land Rover-like than screens freezing up is air suspension failure. Best part is, in Velar reviews, the screen froze up for all 3 of my favourite reviewers. *bemoans having used up 2 smileys already*

Cheers!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th January 2019 at 08:00. Reason: Added some stuff. Formatting
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 20:16   #2663
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Sounds like there are vehicles from at least two lots with different quality standards doing the rounds in the various cities. I simply cannot otherwise explain why some BHPians are seeing a car which is well built, has plush interiors and decent quality plastics while others are seeing shoddy plastics, uneven shut lines, paint that has got scratches all over, doors that do not close properly etc.

The Harrier I saw in Chennai had absolutely none of the issues mhx describes above. The panel gaps were very even, the paint quality was very good with absolutely no scratches anywhere, a majority of the interior plastics were quite aesthetic as well as had nice kinesthetics. The wood trim was classy and I have not seen such authentic looking wood trims in even the 3 German luxury brands. The doors felt well built and closed quite easily, I never had to bang the door to close it.

Could it be possible there is a pre-production batch that does not have the final quality levels and some vehicles from this batch are doing the rounds as display cars? I find no other way to explain such diametrically opposite views from seasoned Team BHP members.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th January 2019 at 07:59. Reason: Typo
84.monsoon is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 20:29   #2664
BANNED

After reading the posts from the last few days, I hope -

Pricing should hold the key for the Harrier with an onslaught of SUV's planned for 2019.

OTR 12-16 for Harrier and 14- 21 for the 7 Seater would be a safe bet to test the market response, they like all others would jack it up eventually.

Day 1 pricing shall be crucial, no vehicle, however good, has been able to come to terms after the initial pricing gaffe.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th January 2019 at 20:59. Reason: Avoid political references
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 20:40   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Tata Harrier at the Mumbai Marathon, few pics

Source : Twitteratti
Even though I may not pick up the Harrier, (as I wait for the H7X)...Im definitely picking up one of those scale models.

Just how many of them have they got! Seen it everywhere
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 21:02   #2666
Team-BHP Support

Guys, cool down. There is no need for sarcasm, personal and political comments. - Support Team
Samurai is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 21:58   #2667
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Sounds like there are vehicles from at leat two lots with different quality standards doing the rounds in the various cities. I simply cannot otherwise explain why some BHPians are seeing a car which is well built, has plush interiors and decent quality plastics while others are seeing shoddy plastics, uneven shut lines, paint that has got scratches all over, doors that do not close properly etc.
No idea about this. But one of the car which was on display here at Cochin had some ECU issues and no one was allowed to check it as it was locked. They told that some updation is going on and on repeated queries they told me this.

Last edited by vdi : 15th January 2019 at 21:59.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:14   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
This car maybe larger but it's cheaply and crudely built.
While Harrier definitely has a few fit and finish issues here and there that might ding the 'premium' tag a little but IMHO calling it 'cheaply and crudely built' would be kinda unfair but as 84.monsoon mentioned, the cars being displayed/observed might have been from different lots

Last edited by mroutlander : 16th January 2019 at 10:19. Reason: Formatting
mroutlander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 10:23   #2669
BHPian

Honestly, only two aspects I found quite not in place with the Harrier in terms of being premium, irrespective what the pricing model will be.

1. The steering just did not cut it for me. Seemed out of place, somehow the plastic felt not as good and the "T" was too large (though that is aesthetics). I mentioned this in my seen-at-Cybercity review back, late December 2018.

2. The brake lever thingy. It just seemed so flimsy and fragile plastic, for controlling a braking device. Maybe it "triggers" an electronic switch inside so was so thin. I felt it was a dummy part, and the real one would be vastly different.

What is the overall sense one gets sitting into it. It does feel premium and lush. Will it cut the ice for 20L. Depends what else is offered for 20L. I think pricing is the only factor left for TATA. They have done a commendable job regarding else.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th January 2019 at 15:36. Reason: Corrected typo for 'brake'. / Minor formatting
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 10:47   #2670
BHPian

Tata Harrier Vs Jeep Compass Vs XUV500 Vs Hyundai Creta – Comparison

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190116111041_chrome.jpg

Specs comparison for those interested-

https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-harrier-...omparison/amp/
JS Kwt is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks