Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:07   #2866
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Since I was the first to get to post on the pricing - immediate reaction was to post a response also. But took a few hours to think properly on it.

The base XE variant pricing is definitely a lakh higher than I expected. TATA could have, and should have priced it lower - considering it is ultra barebones and doesn't even offer any colour options other than white. Would this have made a difference, and would I buy such a variant? Surely no - But that shock pricing could have got more people to the showrooms. I'm not sure how this 'Starting at 12.65L' tag for a TATA car will be received by the masses.

Is the Harrier overpriced? No - Because the XM and XT offers a good package over the likes of Creta 1.6. People who prefer an European experience (Solid build, mature ride and handling etc) will defenitely prefer the Harrier over Creta. What the Creta surely offers over the Harrier is a lot more kit, and ease of driving - with options of automatic transmissions as well.

Speaking of kit - I'm not sure if the XZ is VFM either because at 20L onroad, it surely misses out on some feel good stuff that should have been there (Sunroof, Powered Seats etc). Won't be surprised if XM and XT turn out to be popular variants. TATA should bring out a fully loaded XZ+ soon, though I doubt such a move will happen because of the overlap with the H7X.

Creta sales will be affected? I don't think so. The customer base is different and it's a well rounded package with the Hyundai badge upfront - no matter how many times we call it overpriced in the forum. XUV, Hexa and Compass are likely to bleed more IMO.
Kia? Will follow the Creta way.

Mahindra won't stay silent for sure since they have a good spec and feature advantage on paper - so expect them to increase their advertisement budgets for the XUV 5OO soon. It has two advantages which people like us on the forum tend to forget - 1. Tried and tested product which the mass market considers as a default option for the price and 2. A more conventional SUV stance.

Compass mid variants make no sense against Harrier Top end now - so Compass buyers are likely to get restricted to only top end variants. Only option they have to recover sales of the base variants is to introduce an automatic option across the range soon.

Hexa is a strange proposition. It's still a better car in the showroom, has better specs, 4*4, automatic transmission and many things Harrier misses out on! But it will likely be moved out of sight soon - with the showrooms and TATA encouraging customers to pick the newcomer instead. Afterall - Hexa was a good attempt at correcting a past mistake, whereas Harrier is the future.

Kicks? Doesn't need any help from Harrier to fail. Nissan service network will ensure that. No thanks TATA.

One dark horse to watch out for - MG Hector. It is going to play the exact same game as TATA - but they are likely to throw in more features as well - like the mass pulling panoramic sunroof. And now they know what is the price they should target to get a foothold in the market.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd January 2019 at 18:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:14   #2867
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

I think this is great pricing if not shocking. And I am one among those who wanted the price to be decent not to see another 100 of it in your own area, loses its uniqueness.

Now the wait begings for the AT version. I wonder if it will launch too close to the BS VI enforcement time (April 2020) and hence dent our pocket significantly...
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:16   #2868
BHPian

Intelligent pricing there, hope the team at Tata a successful way forward. Assembly/Backend has delivered, now it is Sales and After-Sales magic to close all the efforts.

Last edited by SDP : 24th January 2019 at 08:39. Reason: Punctuation
rajesh.palaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:31   #2869
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Wow!! Pay around 18 lakhs and still you don't get auto-AC, rear defogger, ISOFIX, rear camera etc.

Or pay just 15 lakhs to get a car fitted with a 2L engine, making the Harrier the most affordable 2L in the country. Different ways of looking at the same product.

IMHO I feel that Tata has got the right pricing with Harrier. The base variant isn't exactly barebones and top variant is kitted well.

The only gripe I have is the available colors. Apart from the Orange, all other are boring and the usual colors.

Last edited by SDP : 24th January 2019 at 08:41. Reason: Typo
Waspune is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:40   #2870
BHPian

Bangalore on road pricing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Doc 2019-01-23 17.30.14_1.pdf (389.8 KB, 979 views)
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:16   #2871
BHPian

The pricing is fair and honest. It won't trigger a storm like the XUV launch when Mahindra used pricing as a key differentiator. But it will definitely get prospective SUV buyers to seriously consider TATA's offering in the segment before making a choice. Whether this converts into sales will now squarely depend on the product merits and how much they appeal to the customer. Considering how Tiago and Nexon steadily became names to reckon in the respective segments purely on their strengths, I feel TATA is quietly confident of an encore with Harrier. The pricing is a reflection of this.
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:21   #2872
r.K
BHPian

Can't believe they still charge "Logistic Charges"
r.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:42   #2873
BHPian

On XE variant they could have provided infotainment instead of providing projector headlamp, theater dimming cabin lamp, puddle lamp, telescopic steering wheel. Looks like no ICE whatsoever on XE
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:34   #2874
BHPian

They have mentioned cancellation charges of 2500/- and that seems crazy considering most of us made payments without even seeing the vehicle in person.

I've more or less decided to withdraw my booking - I would prefer a TD before doing that. Will speak to SA - let's see what he has to say.

EDIT: just spoke to Tata CC , they have assured that the booking amount is 100% refundable - but dates for availability of TD vehicles is still unknown it seems.

Last edited by somspaple : 23rd January 2019 at 20:49.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:36   #2875
BHPian

I had a chance to check out the Harrier in person today at the showroom. Here are my initial observations:

Exteriors:
1. The stance and build is solid, comes across as a proper compact urban SUV versus the competitors which look more of hatch on stilts.
2. The doors aren't as solid as a German, but still much better than most other Japanese/Koreans/other Europeans.
3. The paint, fit and finish was good, couldn't spot any irregularities. The rear door has a body colour painted panel piece that runs above the handle and below the glass, the material was fibre and it was a bit flimsy compared to the rest of the panels.
4. Alloy wheels were just plain looking compared to the futuristic styling of the exteriors.
5. DRLs double up as indicators.

Interiors:
1. The display vehicle was XZ, there definitely is a WoW factor once you step in with exemplary look and feel.
2. All seats offers good support. The driver seating position for me at the tallest adjustment had my left knee hitting the panel below the infotainment. Not a comfortable position(I'm 6.1), hence have to make do with a lower sitting position. I felt the seat could have been made to be pulled back a little more. Also, the arm rest was useless even with the seat pulled back to the farthest as I still could rest only my elbow. The handbrake was not a deal breaker though. Rear seats however offer exceptional comfort and legroom.
3. Boot space is also quite good that will let you pack in a decent luggage for longer trips. Misses out the hooks for carrying those usual grocery bags in place.
4. Infotainment system was very responsive for touch and comes with all bells and whistles. The sales rep highlighted the driver performance analysis(not sure of the term though) where in the system calculates rating based on various parameters of the driving style. The infotainment system display can be cast on the odometer screen which I couldn't really check out since they did not have the keys. Odometer is a complete digital display.
5. Gets dedicated mobile phone holder space in the rear doors.

Misses:
1. Automatic, period.
2. 4x4
3. Driver side power adjustable seats &
More leg room for the driver(may not be for an average height person)
4. Sunroof
5. 360 camera
The above will slot the vehicle as a complete premium offering in the space which IMO Kia will now try and capitalise.

Overall, looks like a futuristic and strategic vehicle for TATA to take it to the next level. May be the other 'T' badge on the same vehicle would have been a solid winner with no questions asked/no debates made. TATA however will have to still build on, but they are on the right path.
luvurride is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:43   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
They have mentioned cancellation charges of 2500/- and that seems crazy considering most of us made payments without even seeing the vehicle in person.

I've more or less decided to withdraw my booking - I would prefer a TD before doing that. Will speak to SA - let's see what he has to say.
I would be surprised if the cancellation charges applied to order prior to price release. I assume that would only be for orders being taken now!
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:08   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Though many are commenting on the pricing, i guess TATA were pretty clear on the OTR when they said 16-21L. so I see no surprises here. Realistic pricing !

Interesting to see how the car front will look in case of XE and XM without those DRLs, we are so used to seeing the headlight there and i wonder what will they add in base trims ?
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:12   #2878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Interesting to see how the car front will look in case of XE and XM without those DRLs, we are so used to seeing the headlight there and i wonder what will they add in base trims ?
It will probably be just the indicators there. No dual lighting like on the other trims.
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:12   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Top end harrier gets dual functioning DRL with indicators. So i think the base version will get only indicators instead of duel functioning DRL.
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:16   #2880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
It will probably be just the indicators there. No dual lighting like on the other trims.
The brochure mentions that "Dual Function DRLs with Turn Indicators" are standard from base model itself (screenshot attached). So, I guess it is both DRLs and Indicators just like in the higher trims.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190123221222.png
AdityaDeane is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks