Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:16   #2881
e46
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hexa is a strange proposition. It's still a better car in the showroom, has better specs, 4*4, automatic transmission and many things Harrier misses out on! But it will likely be moved out of sight soon - with the showrooms and TATA encouraging customers to pick the newcomer instead. Afterall - Hexa was a good attempt at correcting a past mistake, whereas Harrier is the future.
Have a cure which I can think of and would like to see in future. Decrease the length by 150 mm and give it a tauter stance. Also shed weight of the vehicle by at least 400 kgs. I know it could sound unfeasible considering body structures, chassis and all, but make that happen and Hexa would be a car hard to forego.

That smooth and well recieved auto box, 400 NM torque and superior ride quality are something we all want. Dont we?

Ride safe.
-Abhishek.

Last edited by e46 : 23rd January 2019 at 22:38. Reason: sentence formation
e46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:33   #2882
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Interesting to see how the car front will look in case of XE and XM without those DRLs, we are so used to seeing the headlight there and i wonder what will they add in base trims ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Top end harrier gets dual functioning DRL with indicators. So i think the base version will get only indicators instead of duel functioning DRL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
The brochure mentions that "Dual Function DRLs with Turn Indicators" are standard from base model itself (screenshot attached). So, I guess it is both DRLs and Indicators just like in the higher trims.
Guys, the DRLs are present in each and every variant of the Harrier. The lower variants get DRLs while the top two trims get LED DRLs. I think that the lower variants will get halogen based DRLs, quite like the ones we see on many VAG cars, especially the lower and mid variants.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:35   #2883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I had a chance to check out the Harrier in person today at the showroom. Here are my initial observations:

3. Boot space is also quite good that will let you pack in a decent luggage for longer trips. Misses out the hooks for carrying those usual grocery bags in place.

Overall, looks like a futuristic and strategic vehicle for TATA to take it to the next level. May be the other 'T' badge on the same vehicle would have been a solid winner with no questions asked/no debates made. TATA however will have to still build on, but they are on the right path.
Lovely observations. Thank you for sharing.
Sorry, just wanted to clarify, the boot has a hook for grocery bags. Right side. Closer to the boot door. I shall try to post pics of the same soon.
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:47   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Guys, the DRLs are present in each and every variant of the Harrier. The lower variants get DRLs while the top two trims get LED DRLs. I think that the lower variants will get halogen based DRLs, quite like the ones we see on many VAG cars, especially the lower and mid variants.

mentioned as bulb in harrier website
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-drl.png  

csanthosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:47   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Lovely observations. Thank you for sharing.
Sorry, just wanted to clarify, the boot has a hook for grocery bags. Right side. Closer to the boot door. I shall try to post pics of the same soon.
Sorry may be I missed spotting. I also asked the rep and he affirmed negative.
Old 24th January 2019, 02:16   #2886
BHPian

Went and had a look at the Harrier today and also got to test drive the Hexa. For such large vehicles, I struggled to find a good seating position in both the cars! The seat didn't move back much and the legroom definitely felt insufficient. But then, I am 6'4". GTO's observation on Hexa's incompatibility for tall drivers seems to be continuing with the Harrier.
On the other hand, the Compass(which I test drove last weekend) actually had much better ergos and lot more legroom, and knee room.
Old 24th January 2019, 06:13   #2887
BHPian

The pricing from TATA is spot on, specially for the top variants. We picked up our Creta diesel 1.6 SX(O) just a couple of months back. The price difference is just about 1Lakh ex-showroom. For that 1 Lakh extra you get a bigger engine, a much bigger foot print and an imposing stance, definitely interiors look a generation ahead from what you get in the Creta and a much more futuristic looking car which should strike a cord with the millenials and the Generation Z of our fast progressing nation. Fit and finish might be something I cannot vouch as I’ve not seen a Harrier in person.

Just to give the mindset of a prospective buyer, when we were in the market in November 2018, we explored our options (cross shopping from C & D segment sedans to 5-7 seater C-SUV) from the Hyundai Verna SX(O), City ZX diesel, XUV500 W9, Corolla Altis, Hyundai Elantra 1.6 SX to the Jeep Compass. We did consider Jeep Compass Longitude (O) variant priced at 18.7L ex-showroom quite seriously, but the long clutch travel played spoil sport for my father as he was the one who would’ve been driving it everyday. Had Harrier been in the mix then, we would have surely considered it over Creta.

As an absolute layman with next to negligible automotive knowledge, I find Harrier as a product is much closer/comparable to the Jeep Compass than the Hyundai Creta. However, it undercuts the Compass exhorbitantly & is priced awfully close to the Hyundai Creta's 1.6 variants. For the context, Jeep Diesel Base variant is priced higher than the Harrier top-end. Jeep India’s management should be very worried, I’m hoping they will soon do a price correction across the range,probably roll back to the prices on the day of India launch, for the car to keep selling in respectable numbers. It’s one gorgeous looking vehicle, no two ways about it.

As for Creta, I estimate it will keep selling in good numbers solely because of the sheer practicality and nimbleness of the vehicle - absolute right size, good space for front and rear passengers, ample ground clearance, boxy SUVish design, almost acceptable boot space, plenty of creature comforts and gizmos for the feel good factor, decent safety kit, reasonable fuel economy and amazing NVH levels from the diesel motor. Gosh, my Beemer’s engine sounds rough in front of the Creta’s 1.6 mill.

If I were in the top hierarchy of Tata’s management, I would’ve gone all guns blazing at the launch with an XZ+ variant with more creature comforts such as panaromic sunroof, electrically adjustable driver seat and few other nifty features, it would’ve drawn more of our feature savvy generation to the showrooms and diluted the monopoly of Hyundai Creta. Also, why not offer some more exciting colour options. It is absolutely astonishing to see the omission of Black shade in the mix. Harrier would’ve looked smashing in Black with more funky looking rims.
Anyhow, on the whole, I’m sure Tata will sell this car in good numbers and I have all my good wishes for the local giant.

Last edited by SDP : 24th January 2019 at 09:12. Reason: Typo
GameOfCars is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 06:40   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfCars View Post
If I were in the top hierarchy of Tata’s management, I would’ve gone all guns blazing at the launch with an XZ+ variant with more creature comforts such as panaromic sunroof, electrically adjustable driver seat and few other nifty features, it would’ve drawn more of our feature savvy generation to the showrooms and diluted the monopoly of Hyundai Creta. Also, why not offer some more exciting colour options. It is absolutely astonishing to see the omission of Black shade in the mix. Harrier would’ve looked smashing in Black with more funky looking rims.
My guess is that these are reserved for the festival season by which time the AT will be ready. If it had been launched without the AT now, people would have cried about the Harrier being pricier than the XUV500 especially when the XUV had two seats extra!!

I travel 40kms in town on average each day and except for an occasional Innova, I have hardly seen a seven-seater being fully occupied (even with kids). People cramming up into Maruti vans are a different segment and do not fall under this range.

I look at September for the launch of the AT, more colours and the option of a panoramic sunroof, based on sales after the initial hype (standard to all cars) dies down.

When the Nexon was launched, they had an optimistic target of 3500 per month. Sales today are in the 4000+ range. If the Harrier has similar plans, expect things to happen and a rejig of variants (XZ+, XMA, XZA etc).
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 07:30   #2889
Distinguished - BHPian

Pricing is on the expected lines. XZ+ variant needs to be brought in about 3 months with all the bells and whistles. AT by the festive season.

Need to test drive it once the vehicle reaches the dealership.

Awaiting teambhp review of the Harrier.

PS: AT should come in the top and the mid variant to ensure it appeals to customers and cover broader price range.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 24th January 2019 at 07:32.
Old 24th January 2019, 08:56   #2890
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I have to disagree. The XM brings a lot of useful features to the table
Comfort oriented features maybe there on the XM/XT variants, and probably that’s what appeal the mass-market. But Tata had a chance to literally hit the Creta and Compass in one shot if they had launched fully-loaded variants.
Example - for a car in its class, especially for a tall crossover, features like ESP should be standard. Jeep has done that for the Compass. The safety features on XT are more aligned to XE and XM than XZ; I have absolutely no grouse about the XZ. I see that as the most VFM offering in its class.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-untitled.png

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th January 2019 at 08:59.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 09:11   #2891
BHPian

Overall great pricing from TATA, definitely in the right direction. I could have liked 11.xx price for the base variant for limited period/count (something like first 500 vehicles). Excellent pricing for mid to top variants. Enough has been discussed on the price/features/comparison with competition.

Lets move the discussion to technical for a change. I have looked into the details of the rear suspension set-up. Here is the quick comparison between LR Discovery Sport vs Harrier vs Hexa
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier_suspension.png

Harrier is having semi independent rear suspension. As per me Hexa excels Harrier in Ride comfort. Any comments from experts?
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 09:13   #2892
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190124090628_chrome.jpg

Tata has these two points in the Harrier feature list. Despite their claims of paying special attention to address in-cabin noise, all reviews from the launch event have pointed to a fairly noisy cabin. Puzzling.
rovingeye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:01   #2893
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Tata has definitely hit the sweet spot with the pricing based on the comments on this thread! What value it represents can only be told once we get to try the vehicle. I for one haven't even seen the Harrier in person yet.

Tata is riding a wave now - great desirable product pipeline with a tremendous spread, a lot of goodwill in the market, an ever-growing market-share, dealers lining up to partner up, no dearth of talent within, access to technology, ambition or hunger! And if you watch that launch video, it looks like they are absolutely sure about the positioning needed in the market. Well done!

Now, the most important thing is to get that supply chain moving like clockwork. To get the cars home ASAP for all those customers who have been waiting so patiently! The Harrier doesn't look like anything else out there on the road, and its got massive presence and attitude. So, no one is going to ignore it on the road I think. And its on Tata to take advantage of that sweet situation. Based on their past record, they need to show a lot of agility here. But they should know it better than anyone else. I was pleasantly surprised to see Tata handing over the cars to select customers yesterday. Let's hope they can follow it through and carry that momentum. What I have seen is 50k or 1 lakh doesn't really matter for the larger market - what matters is whether there is an acceptability for a product in the market and its desirability.

I am also waiting to see the scope of that entry level variant - the XE. It looks reasonably kitted. Maybe they really intend to sell it unlike Jeep where the Sport variant is only on paper. They simply cannot afford to sell it at that price. I might have seen just one or two examples of that on the road till now. And the decade old XUV looks tired in comparison - the new generation cannot come fast enough for Mahindra. Creta is bullet proof - people are still going to buy it in droves. But I would expect to see more features (from the stepmom Hyundai) and offers shortly. And that's why we should always welcome healthy competition in the market.

Let's wait and watch how it goes. All the best Tata! I simply cannot wait to drive the Harrier.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:05   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Comfort oriented features maybe there on the XM/XT variants, and probably that’s what appeal the mass-market. But Tata had a chance to literally hit the Creta and Compass in one shot if they had launched fully-loaded variants.
Aren't they doing it already? The lower variants will compete with the Creta and the top variant will be pitted against the Compass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Example - for a car in its class, especially for a tall crossover, features like ESP should be standard. Jeep has done that for the Compass. The safety features on XT are more aligned to XE and XM than XZ; I have absolutely no grouse about the XZ. I see that as the most VFM offering in its class.
You can't take price out of the equation when talking about VFM, can you? How can cars that cost 16.xL and 12.xL both be expected to come with top of the line safety options? Jeep can afford to provide ESP from the base variant, only because it costs 16.6 Lakh, that is 4L more than Harrier's XE. Besides, even at 16.6, the compass only offers 2 airbags, same as the Harrier XE. Overall, at 20L on road budget, the Compass has absolutely nothing to show for against the Harrier, except the name may be

Even the Creta, the much smaller vehicle, gets the ESP and side airbags only in SX(O), a variant that costs more than 15L.

Oh, and BTW, as many have mentioned and even by the numbers, the Harrier is not a tall car for the length and width it spans.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:05   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting pricing for the Harrier, to start at 12.69 lakhs and go on till 16.25 lakhs for Mumbai prices.
In fact, instead of interesting, the right word could be bold.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-capture.png

With this price range, Tata has made it clear that it is now more assured of itself for a product strategy along with its pricing (very, very crucial in our VFM obsessed market)and willing to fight it out.

It is quite evident that Harrier's pricing has been calibrated to attack Creta and the Compass. (Sorry Kicks. Captur )
The 7-seater XUV may have some comparable features (like price and power) in this league but Tata will let the Hexa continue the talking there, possibly.

In my view, the following perspectives pop up for this calibration:-
  • The Harrier's top-end pricing pegged lower than the Compass's base price means Compass sales could be immediately dented. And it's average 1100+ monthly sales (for last 6 months) could be severely affected, if Jeep just watches the show from sidelines.
  • In terms of its peers for the diesel MT versions, Harrier can now brag that it starts a good 80-odd thousand lower than Creta while packing more power and a lot more grunt
  • Harrier's big, muscular, JLR heritage positioning against the Creta's smaller footprint

With the Harrier's launch (product + pricing) and with very competent products (Nexon, T-twins, Hexa et al) already in its growing stable, Tata has definitely started its march to rapidly narrow down the approx. 12% market share gap between itself and Hyundai.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed