Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2019, 12:06   #2911
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
TCS scam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There is a GST from Jan 1st on the TCS as well. We are now paying GST for the Tax as well!

So for ex showroom of 16,25,000, TCS is 16,250 + 8125 (0.5%).

Ideally the rule says GST needs to be on taxable value of the car which includes TCS so looks like this is a shortcut method to include GST.

Since ex showroom already includes GST, there was no simple way to add GST to the TCS amount.

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/busine...320-2019-01-04
Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
If it's only the TCS that has been taxed, that amount is 50% GST. I think they are deceiving the customers with the wrong calculation.
I think @Vid6639 explained it very well, but you still didn't get it!

The ex-showroom price already includes GST. GST for SUVs are 50%. So, in the case of HARRIER XE variant, the actual price (ex-factory) is 8.46L ONLY!
GST @ 50% = 4.23L
Total = 8.46L + 4.23L (GST) = 12.69L

Now, our Government being greedy (not biased against any Political Party, all are equally the same), first they decided to levy TCS @ 1% on ex-showroom price more than 10Lakhs. But the saving grace was that you could claim that amount as TDS while filing IT return and get it back. The reason quoted was, to be in the know for high value transactions.

Now, they want to charge GST on the TCS amount as well . But there is still hope, as the Kerala High Court has correctly come to the conclusion that TCS doesn't constitute a value of the vehicle and hence should not be brought under the GST regiment. They have temporarily stayed the order by Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) and I hope it will be made permanent and followed all over India.

https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/...d-order-142292
arif_t01 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:12   #2912
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
I wish though that Tata had done an "XUV500" with the pricing.
TATA has done an XUV 5OO with the pricing, but not in the way you hoped (XUV was positioned much lower at launch)!

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot-20190124-10.41.10-am.png

Problem however is that TATA has restricted themselves to only a fraction of the options XUV has on the list. They should have thrown everything they have at this product - but seem to be a held back approach, may be to position the H7X appropriately above this. As thing stand now - XUV buyers who don't need an automatic, AWD or 3rd row seating, considers ride quality above feel-good features (like sunroof, lounge lighting or powered seats), is ready to consider the TATA brand and is not swayed by the salesman who can prove superior spec sheet for the XUV 5OO - Will be considering the Harrier over XUV.

If we forget us enthusiasts - How many walk-in customers will fall in this narrow bracket? Should sell in decent numbers no doubt, but I don't see the product setting the sales charts on fire like the XUV did for Mahindra.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:35   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
Does it cost that much to have an auto-box? Small cars also have automatics (in different versions such as AMT, CVT etc). It need not be a DSG but why not a simple auto box?
If you are putting down close to 20 lakhs for the car will you accept the cheap gimmicks like AMT. I'm not ready to accept it for the Nexon and Duster price range either.

Creta and XUV in the price range have proper lock up torque converters, I would like that here too. I have one dual clutch at home, yes it is good to drive, but I like the 6 speed converters better

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 13:40. Reason: Minor formatting for improved readability
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:40   #2914
BHPian

There must be something insightful that Tata Motors marketing department knows that lesser mortals do not understand. I was expecting a full page ad in the newspaper after the launch, but today's Mumbai TOI edition has a BMW X4 ad, an XUV 500 ad, but there is no single ad for Tata Motor's "game-changing" Harrier!
Ajay_Sensei is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:51   #2915
BHPian

Tweeted to @TataMotors enquiring about the launch of AT variants and got the reply,
"Hi, the Automatic version of the Harrier will be introduced as part of the product life cycle and will be announced at an appropriate time."
They seriously messed up here I think. In this price range many consider AT variants and this can be a deal breaker.
Sam_GTR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 13:20   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_Sensei View Post
There must be something insightful that Tata Motors marketing department knows that lesser mortals do not understand. I was expecting a full page ad in the newspaper after the launch, but today's Mumbai TOI edition has a BMW X4 ad, an XUV 500 ad, but there is no single ad for Tata Motor's "game-changing" Harrier!
I too observed absence of marketing for Harrier. Maybe production hell for Tata? Don't want to market the product & tell foot-fall in the showroom to wait for a few months. Does anyone know the waiting period for the product?
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 13:23   #2917
Senior - BHPian

Concorde Motors has invited customers who had pre-booked the Harrier, this evening. I will be going.

If at all, something is left to explore, please let me know and I shall take pictures or videos.

Thanks
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 13:26   #2918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_Sensei View Post
Reason could be this:
Quote:
Tata Harrier waiting period up to three months
Quote:
Tata has been accepting bookings for the Harrier since October 2018, and sources claim the booking count had crossed 16,000 at the end of December 2018.
Hard to believe 16000 bookings even before price announcement, but if true, its commendable.

Source:Autocar
S.MJet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 13:55   #2919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Reason could be this:

Hard to believe 16000 bookings even before price announcement, but if true, its commendable.

Source:Autocar
I have read on this thread that manf capacity per month is around 1500, with 16000 booking, H7X would launch before people get delivery of this car!!! Seems highly unrealistic, either the manf capacity or the bookings !!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 13:57. Reason: Minor formatting
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 13:56   #2920
BHPian

Orcus White TataHARRIER looks BUTCH!!

"Priced from Rs 12.7 lakhs ex-showroom, here are the on road prices of all four variants of Tata Harrier in 11 major cities – As you can seen in the detailed table below, prices of Tata Harrier-On Road price is lowest in Ahmedabad, and highest in Bangalore. The price difference on top end variant is as much as Rs 2.3 lakhs."

source:Rushlane
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierpricesonroadcitiescolours4.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierpricesonroadmumbaidelhipunebangalorechennaiahmedabadpatna.jpg  

Last edited by kalleo4 : 24th January 2019 at 14:18.
kalleo4 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:20   #2921
BHPian

Quote:
I think the pricing is okay. Nothing to complain about, nothing to write home about.
Quote:
There are more people speaking positive about Tata, although there are a lot who still wouldn't consider the brand at all.
I wish though that Tata had done an "XUV500" with the pricing. Tata is clearly focused on profits too at this stage.
Yes, pricing... is just okay I believe. I resonate with your thoughts, I feel.

While we understand that it's kind of based on the Discovery Sport platform and is a 2.0L Diesel, with no Automatic and the price is already reaching / crossing 19L rupees on-road.
  • What happens when they bring in the Automatic? 22L on-road?
  • And what will the 7-seater be like? North of 25L on-road?
Maybe the top variant should have bottomed at 16-17L rupees on road which is a couple lakhs lesser than the current launched on-road price. Maybe we are asking for too much, maybe it is not really working for them, not sure.

While the perception about Tata cars is changing and for the better, I can still see the prospective ones with their "barge-poles". We need a few records of the likes of Nexons and Hexas having done a couple lakh kms or more and still looking great and in one piece on the inside and from outside (no offense meant).

Forget pricing higher, any 7-seater (as we expect the Harrier's extended version's configuration to be) that is priced on par with Crysta, or even a couple lakhs lesser, will eventually fail, unless it's a Crysta or another 7-seater from Toyota!

I have been wanting the Tata cars to succeed since the Indica times, and almost gave up... just that their HORIZONEXT gave a new lease of life to continue rooting for them

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:44   #2922
Senior - BHPian

Finally the much awaited launch has happened and now it is up to the market to react. I was hoping TMIL (TATA Motors India Limited) will launch this at an introductory 11.99 Lakhs or at least justify the 12.69 Lakhs price of base variant. The Base XE variant is not even equipped with remote central locking. You have to walk to vehicle and open it with key like Maruti Van. So for practical purpose XM will be starting variant of harrier at 13.75L which truely justifies an additional 1L premium over XE.

I am not sure why people (perhaps including TMIL) think that Harrier will compete against the Creta. For what it offers harrier price looks good in isolation. But let us come back to reality and look at the other offerings in the market. I am really interested in going through the SWOT analysis done by TMIL management team before coming up with idea of Harrier and pricing of Harrier.

1.Creta : It has a Petrol for low mileage users , most importantly fuel efficient and very popular 1.4L engine with tons of Mod potential (The curious case of the ‘converted’ Cretas! People buying lower variants & then adding extra goodies). The top end has goodies loved by Indian market like sun roof and ventilated seats. An equally important AT offering for urban buyers with silky smooth engine. On top of it, owing to compact dimension it has a turning radius is 5.2M which is boon for city dwellers. Plus I am sure Creta has much better resale value compared to Harrier.

2.XUV500 : This will be a close competitor for Harrier. But it is a 7 seater, has AT offering and has perceivably better A.S.S. The W9 with sun roof is priced close to Harrier XZ. Some cross shopping will happen here due to superb looking Harrier.

3.Captur / Kicks : Captur was dead on arrival and now selling at big discount. Kicks! what kind of name is this.The bland name itself is enough to kick it out of the market.For now Kicks launch is already eroded by Harrier launch. The over optimistic pricing, thin and average A.S.S are also against the product. This is one more case of trying to compete in Creta war zone without realizing the strong holds of Creta mentioned above. Some one brave enough to buy Kicks should definitely consider Harrier. However this number is pretty small.

4.Duster : Duster has its own cult. No wonder duster sells 1K+ with pre-historic interiors , expensive spares, poor resale and new launches by other brands. Also, it has an AMT offering, a neat 4 WD , Petrol and a cheaper 85 Bhp for wanna be "Gang of Duster" members.

5.Compass : For some one considering Compass, Harrier will be an alternative. However Compass is good fit for congested roads, has an AT and a petrol. Also, iconic Jeep badge over not so desirable T badge. So again there will be some cross shopping here.

6.Hexa : For the price and features, the Hexa looks like a better proposition over Harrier. You get a 7 seater for the same price with almost similar feature barring MPV-ish stance. Even the base version Hexa is better equipped.

However in reality I don't see a justifiable reason to go for harrier other than novelty design factor (for around 3-4 months) then it might settle around 1K per month. However I really hope our own Tata will succeed in competing with XUV500/Creta and sell at least 3K-5K a month

Last edited by recshenoy : 24th January 2019 at 14:46.
recshenoy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 15:00   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I am not sure why people (perhaps including TMIL) think that Harrier will compete against the Creta. For what it offers harrier price looks good in isolation....Creta : It has a Petrol for low mileage users , most importantly fuel efficient and very popular 1.4L engine with tons of Mod potential. The top end has goodies loved by Indian market like sun roof and ventilated seats. An equally important AT offering for urban buyers with silky smooth engine. On top of it, owing to compact dimension it has a turning radius is 5.2M which is boon for city dwellers.
Thinking out of the box - The same would be the case with every vehicle in the market. Take the Hyundai Creta as an example. It looks great in isolation (being the market leader helps too). But when you look at something else in comparison, it starts to pale, but nevertheless it is the segment benchmark.

Quote:
Just look at the number of missing features that you would take for granted at this price point (auto-folding ORVMs, telescopic steering, rear disc brakes, LED headlamps & tail-lamps, auto headlamps & wipers, vanity lights on the sunvisors, illuminated power window buttons, gas struts to hold the bonnet, paddle shifters on the AT….the list goes on). What makes it worse is that the cheaper Verna gets some features (e.g. ventilated seats, hands-free boot) that the Creta doesn't. Why do this to your most important car, Hyundai?
Yes, the Creta and Verna are not in similar segments, but hope you get the drift.

Harrier has a different offering from what Creta offers. Am sure, if they had launched it with an AT, it would definitely put a dent in Creta sales, but without an AT, Harrier would have a limited impact in its market segment.
Old 24th January 2019, 15:49   #2924
Senior - BHPian

I searched a lot for the XE variant's look. Please bhpian's, post pictures of base variant if possible, I want to see if its just a name-sake variant or should I think of cancelling my booking of Ertiga by having some more loan for the Harrier.

The other variants are out of bounds as of now. Its my heart that is asking my brain to stop thinking for some time
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 15:58   #2925
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Harrier First Look -NDTV

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed